Code of Conduct

Default Returning to An Old Favorite

Today, for the first time in several months, I'm wearing Chanel PM (the original, not the Concentree). What a wonderful fragrance! This has been a favorite of mine since I bought it a little over a year ago, but for some reason I don't wear it all that frequently. I think of it as somehow formal...and I don't have many formal occasions in my life (though I'm not usually one to be hung up on wearing particular fragrances at particular times). And though I had been wearing it regularly a few times a month, I just hadn't happen to reach for it for a very long while before today.

At any rate, returning to it for the first time in months was a like a process of rediscovery. I've had the same thing happen with other great fragrances, such as Guerlain Vetiver and Tauer's L'ADDM.

In fact, I'm beginning to think that it's worthwhile to step away from a frag every once in a while just to gain some new perspective on it at a later date.

Anyone else have this sort of experience?

Default Re: Returning to An Old Favorite

I had the same experience with YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration. I regretted buying it at first and it just gathered dust at the corner of my drawer for a few months. Recently wore it just for fun and i got really hooked on it and ended up wearing it quite frequently. Coincidentally i had almost similar experience with Chanel PM and Guerlain Vetiver. Both smelt dated to me at 1st but slowly my perception changed.

One thing about a sizable wardrobe is rediscovering scents, and I often find that I have new appreciation or understanding of scents I haven't tried in a while. For example I've had Bombay Sapphire Infusion for two years. I founf it in the back of a drawer and was really impressed with how good it is. I'll even test scents I thought I didn't like to see if my opinion has changed.

yes I feel the same way with alot of my scents
    just recently I would have to say Egoiste (vintage formula) for me
    I got hooked and crave the scent
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I have a bottle of Chanel pour monsieur but even I dont really wear it, at all. I always go for Tiffany for Men when I want to wear 'this kind' of juice.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I had the same experience with YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration. I regretted buying it at first and it just gathered dust at the corner of my drawer for a few months. Recently wore it just for fun and i got really hooked on it and ended up wearing it quite frequently.
    I wanted to throw away my bottle of YSL pour homme when I bought it blind, almost 3 years ago. I didn't even look at it for almost 2 years after I bought and then one day I decided to give it a wearing. This was after I had bought Eau Sauvage and I just wanted to compare it with ES....Wow man.......I instantly got hooked to it...and I kept wondering was I f&$%*#@ crazy not to like this juice

The second bottle I ever got was Truefitt & Hill's 1805. I hadn't worn it in probably a year - put it on this morning and HEY! There was a whole layer of spiciness hiding under the sort of aquatic top layer that I hadn't noticed. Underrated stuff, this.
    - E.J.

I got CPM this Father's Day - it was launched the same year I was and I had wanted a bottle for a while. It's great - perfect vintage, a real classic (not unlike myself )

I have had similar experiences coming back to something I haven't looked at for a while - I'm realising that this is part of the enjoyment of gradually building a collection over time (rather than a fevered quest for the holy grail perfect scent, with a wake littered with discarded 'I thought it was the one but it betrayed me' bottles ). Some scents just grow on me, some I can appreciate better now I've tried more stuff and some just sneak up on you, I guess - MPG Eau des Iles did that to me last weekend - wow.

I'm just waiting for the day when I load up Lutens Cedre and finally go 'oh yes, I get it'. Hasn't happened yet (unsmiley face etc. etc)
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 9th July 2009 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I have a bottle of Chanel pour monsieur but even I dont really wear it, at all. I always go for Tiffany for Men when I want to wear 'this kind' of juice.

I wanted to throw away my bottle of YSL pour homme when I bought it blind, almost 3 years ago. I didn't even look at it for almost 2 years after I bought and then one day I decided to give it a wearing. This was after I had bought Eau Sauvage and I just wanted to compare it with ES....Wow man.......I instantly got hooked to it...and I kept wondering was I f&$%*#@ crazy not to like this juice
    Sometimes i crave for YSL PH HC sometimes i can't stand it. Really love-hate thing going on. I think its the top notes that really off putting. After that it goes quite smooth.