Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: SotD Thursday 9 July

Happy Birthday Lizzie J......I'll be 50 on Friday the 10th.....Hope You are having a Great day!!!!!!
    Gary

My big package came! Now I smell like Mitsouko EDT! I'm yummy!

I'm wearing Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum (thanks to the extremely generous Perfume_Addict). What a wonderful fragrance.

I think I've done a 180 on my perception of Chanel in general... the Exclusifs are just gorgeous. Waiting for more Chanel to come up in a split.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

(Leans over to sniff kess, as Cuir de Russie is heavenly!) I just received a 10+ml split of vintage CdR from the very awesome Mudassir via ScentSplits. I squealed like a leedle girlie when I saw my package had arrived!

SotE is Sa majeste la rose layered with Chene. I was curious how they would blend with eachother. The result is quite nice,but the rose dominates.

My SotE is Hermes Pamplemousse Rose on this humid evening. I smell clean and bright....
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Happy Birthday lizzie_j!

'Old reliable' D&G Feminine for daytime and Frangipani by Ormonde Jayne for evening. The lime in Frangipani is extremely tangy tonight. Has to be the freshest smelling perfume in my wardrobe.
    Last edited by chaelaran1008; 9th July 2009 at 11:45 PM.

My love for the Chanel Exclusifs is a dangerous (for my wallet!) new obsession for me too....28 La Pausa, I WILL have you!

Today I am wearing Drole de Rose, touched up this evening after a hot sunny day on the road with some Montale White Musk.

Veuve, I am fighting similar feelings. Wondering if it's that Mercury retrograde thing. But you do smell divine in your Dark Amber & Ginger Lily.

Mysticknot's advice is perfect, be kind to yourself
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Blog Entries

Hi all!

I think SMM's TdH review is an invitation to a thread of its own.

I can see the common sense behind his assertion that it seems ridiculous to consider popularity a bad thing, but I would argue that this is the result of so much crap being popular.

Whether you're talking about music, movies, perfumes, or whatever, it has become exceptionally rare for anything to become popular just because it's particularly good. Most of the time, popularity comes from appealing to the lowest common denominator and backing it up with an enormous marketing and P.R. budget. Honestly, most top-grossing movies or top-rated TV shows are just terrible. And that equation (popularity = horrible workshopped crap with no artistic merit) tends to taint the few bright things that become popular based on their own quality. I think this is the taint that stains TdH, and while I feel sorry for TdH, I stand by my opinion that most popular corporate product out there posing as "art" is pretty awful, be it the new Diesel cologne in the fist bottle, Disney-channel teen-pop music, Dancing with the Stars, or this week's new explosion movie.

Anyway, off my soapbox now...

My SOTD is pretty much the opposite of popular - it's pretty much unknown.

Cosmic Wonder Light Source is Japanese art enclave that publishes printed works, hosts and creates art installations, and creates a yearly couture clothing collection that's quirky, to say the least:

New York's Six Scents charity project teamed them up with up-and-coming perfumer Philippe Paparella-Paris to create 3, also known as The Spirit Of Wood.

It kicks off very, very spicy, with a bright combination of dried ginger, numeg, and a really dry vetiver. As time passes, it opens up into a deep woody scent, based on hinoki. The bright herbs of the top fade into a sort of background brightness.

The perfumer describes this as trying to capture the sensation of walking through a eucalyptus grove, which it achieves quite well, but without the actual medicinal smell of eucalyptus. It's more like a lush, verdant forest.

All in all, very nice, and not too expensive...
    Last edited by rogalal; 10th July 2009 at 01:01 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Eau d'Hermès sampling tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SotD Thursday 9 July

Christian Lacroix Tumulte Homme with a touch of Balmain Ambre Gris.

I wore Eau de Camille, and it was lovely on this cool summer day. Happy Birthday Lizzie J!

L'Artisan Parfumeur
    PIMENT BRÛLANT

YSL Yvresse today.

I'm torn. It's so fruity but I like it but it's so fruity... and very cheerful.

I'm still missing a favourite fruity chypre, Chypre Fruitée. But I'm packing for a move, so maybe it will show up.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    ...Whether you're talking about music, movies, perfumes, or whatever, it has become exceptionally rare for anything to become popular just because it's particularly good. Most of the time, popularity comes from appealing to the lowest common denominator and backing it up with an enormous marketing and P.R. budget...
    Hi Rogalal! I SO agree with you. Good for Terre d'Hermes, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    ...New York's Six Scents charity project teamed them up with up-and-coming perfumer Philippe Paparella-Paris to create 3, also known as The Spirit Of Wood.

It kicks off very, very spicy, with a bright combination of dried ginger, numeg, and a really dry vetiver. As time passes, it opens up into a deep woody scent, based on hinoki. The bright herbs of the top fade into a sort of background brightness.

The perfumer describes this as trying to capture the sensation of walking through a eucalyptus grove, which it achieves quite well, but without the actual medicinal smell of eucalyptus. It's more like a lush, verdant forest...
    This sounds wonderful, though I've actually been looking for a fragrance that smells like a eucalyptus grove. Perhaps with the kiss of salt air, like the wonderful groves you have in SF.

Tonight I am wearing SL Bois de Violette, thanks to a certain wonderful someone, whom I adore here.
    I do say, it makes me feel quite sexy and well...seductive, thank heavens something does.

Have peaceful dreams, love and hugs
    Last edited by Brielle87; 10th July 2009 at 04:40 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Happy birthday Lizzie!

Guerlain - Paris-Moscow
    Evenstar

Happy Birthday to Lizzie J! Wherever you are, I hope you are well!

SotD today was Etro Etra, and SotN is Ava Luxe Ambra Tibet. Sort of feeling ho hum about both today...