Code of Conduct

Default Oh the agony... of choosing samples

But it's a GOOD hurt!

I think I spent 2 hours tabbing back and forth between TPC, the perfume reviews here, my own notes. I ended up picking scents based on a few recommendations, my insatiable love of amber, and the desire to try a few more Guerlain scents.

Whew, I am worn out. How do you pros do it?

And since I can never have too many smells, I am off to make a test soap batch with a dupe of SL Chergui. Or make cookies... LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oh the agony... of choosing samples

I'm hardly a pro, but I do it just like you are! And, yes, it's still exhausting, because even though I think I've sniffed or at least read about nearly everything, I still regularly come across things I've never heard of that I then research on three or four different websites/blogs, and have to try. Now that I've got all these tiny vials of liquid gold, I have to remember to wear them, write down my impressions, try to remember to wear my favorites once in a while, but not too often because I've got all these samples that are terribly disorganized still (which I'm working on) ... Whew! Cookies and milk sound like just the thing all of a sudden!

Welcome, Outlandish! :wave:
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Outlandish View Post
    Whew, I am worn out. How do you pros do it?
    Not a pro by any means, but I track things on a spreadsheet. One page is for for what I've gotten my grubby little hands on; another page is just for things that sound interesting at the time, that I might want to sample some day. Sometimes I'll even remember to put a note reminding me I thought so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    Not a pro by any means, but I track things on a spreadsheet. One page is for for what I've gotten my grubby little hands on; another page is just for things that sound interesting at the time, that I might want to sample some day. Sometimes I'll even remember to put a note reminding me I thought so.
    Oh that is such a great idea! I always go out and test a whole bunch of perfumes and then a week later it's all forgotten.

I've just done my first (small, but mixed) sample order with TPC - I went with one of their pre-selected sample packs for a note I'm not familiar with and then selected one or two from brands I've wanted to try but haven't yet come across in the flesh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's my method of organizing, if you haven't seen it in another post.
    Plastic ziplock bags, sticky labels all on the left, alphabetized by house, so you can just flip through.
    Everything, even carded samples fit in the bags.

The big bottles are in boxes with lids that can be stacked.
    Last edited by kumquat; 11th July 2009 at 03:31 PM.

Wondering how long it would take me to drive to Nebraska...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, that depends, where are you? I'm pretty far away from civilization in general. Lucky Scent & TPC have been my mainstay for sure.

A side note about sample storage: I am thinking about trying stiff card in the bags to give them some shape so they'll stand-up. I haven't tried it yet though. I am about to overflow into another box. Maybe that will be the time to try it. The plastic bags do slump a bit. I have the decants standing up in a smaller box, the long narrow kind used for drawer organizing. You can label the tops, or put little alpha tags (sticking up) to divide between the bottles.
    Last edited by kumquat; 11th July 2009 at 04:47 PM.

I'm in Oklahoma, so I have to drive to Dallas for civilization!

I have one of these from my lip balm making days:

Ideal for non-carded samples.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    Sometimes I'll even remember to put a note reminding me I thought so.
    Good point. I have an Excel file for my reviews, and was keeping a list of things I wanted to try as a simple text list. This worked until the list got pretty long, and I realized I had no idea why I had put some of them on there. So I moved it all to another spreadsheet and began including a description of why a scent is listed.

Since I had this file, I didn't bother keeping a test list of scents in my BN wardrobe for a long time, until I realized I can access it on my iPhone when I'm out sniffing. iPhone 3.0 now supports Numbers files too (maybe Excel, I'll have to check) so I'll also have descriptions with me. It's definitely handy to have a list when on sniffing trips. There's so many houses with so many fragrances, it's easy for me to get confused and overwhelmed!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous