Code of Conduct

Default Has there ever been a BN "House/Brand" common note project?

Like Guerlain with their "Guerlinade", I'm starting to notice that several brands/houses/whatever have a common note. I'm only a beginner here, but am curious if there's been such a large-scale BN "project", eg:

Bulgari femmes seem to have a salicylate note in them

Joop seems to have a common coumarin-y/violet base that I can smell in Joop Go, Joop Jump, and heck even Jette. And they're by 3 different perfumers.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has there ever been a BN "House/Brand" common note project?

I think this is an interesting topic. I find certain common themes in some of the houses, or subsets of the scents. Some of these are discussed in places, but never compiled. I'd be interested in seeing this extended.

For example, there is a sort of continuity of a specific woody note among all the Gucci PH, PH II, By (EDP), By (EDT), and By PH (EDT) scents, with a pseudo-chypre thing distinguishing the By scents. I think that a large number of Creeds have certain similarities, but I'm a bit weak on the exact nature of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I think that a large number of Creeds have certain similarities, but I'm a bit weak on the exact nature of them.
    To me, a lot of the "modern" Creeds seem to be built on either one of two bases both of which have the Creed "amber" house note. You have the amber base of Millesime Imperiale, Erolfa etc which is quite a crisp dry amber whereas in the likes of GIT and Himalaya etc to my nose have more of a wet/mossy amber base.

Silly analogy but to me Creed have started making fragrances like curry houses make curry. Every curry has the same basic ingredient, a stock or gravy if you will. Then to make each curry different they add the specific herbs and spices to make each finished product different.

Does that make sense?
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    To me, a lot of the "modern" Creeds seem to be built on either one of two bases both of which have the Creed "amber" house note. You have the amber base of Millesime Imperiale, Erolfa etc which is quite a crisp dry amber whereas in the likes of GIT and Himalaya etc to my nose have more of a wet/mossy amber base.

Silly analogy but to me Creed have started making fragrances like curry houses make curry. Every curry has the same basic ingredient, a stock or gravy if you will. Then to make each curry different they add the specific herbs and spices to make each finished product different.

Does that make sense?
    Well said!

Same thing applies to most of the Montale Aouds.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more