Code of Conduct

Default Two Blind Buys: Eau d'Orange Verte and Balmain de Balmain

I just picked up Hermes's Eau d'Orange Verte and Balmain de Balmain for next to nothing online.

My first impressions:

Eau d'Orange Verte: Just what I expected: spectacular refreshing citrus, that disappears more or less instantly. I knew what I was getting into when I bought this, so I can't say I'm a bit surprised by the longevity issues. It does have a nice, mossy dry-down, but this, too, is very brief. (People complain about the longevity of Chanel PM, but, on me at least, its mossy basenotes last for hours as a skin scent. No such luck with Ed'OV!) Preliminary Verdict: glad I picked this up, but I don't think I would be had I not spent <$30 for a 100ml tester. Beautiful but a little annoying due to the longevity issues.

Balmain de Balmain: I'm a big fan of classic chypres and green scents, and the first thing that everyone says about this 1998 perfume is that it's a remarkably classic green chypre. The next thing most people say is that it's more masculine than feminine (despite the fact that it is marketed as a feminine). Having spritzed it once on the back of my hand, here are my first impressions. This is a classic green chypre, with a wonderfully complex development. But I'd call it more unisex than aggressively masculine (which is fine with me; I certainly expect to find it wearable). It's just a little more fruity and floral (especially in its mid-notes) than I had expected. But it's a real winner! Preliminary Verdict: I'm surprised this one doesn't get talked up more on BN. I'm very happy to have this in my wardrobe, though I may wait until the weather cools a bit to give it a full wearing.

AromiErotici

Default Re: Two Blind Buys: Eau d'Orange Verte and Balmain de Balmain

Balmain is one of the few feminine marketed scents I wear. It's a refreshing unisex chypre and great bang for the buck.

I nearly bought Eau d'Orange Verte a few weeks back. But remembering the many complaints about longevity deterred me.

I've been putting Balmain de Balmain in and out of my shopping cart for years. I do love it and now I'm going to put it back in my cart - thanks to your thumbs up review.

Basenotes Institution

When I wore Eau D' Orange Verte, I used to splash it on (not spray) and I splashed probably 2-3 mls at at time. It stuck for a couple of hours, when I did this.

I've never heard anyone speak about Balmain de Balmain before. Sounds like Cristalle by Chanel.

Found a bottle of BdB for pennies, so I finally ordered it. Thanks PhinClio for the inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Found a bottle of BdB for pennies, so I finally ordered it. Thanks PhinClio for the inspiration.
    You're welcome! I hope it lives up to expectations!

Like Mike said, EdOV literally needs to be splashed all over...really give yourself a good dousing and it might last longer than you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    When I wore Eau D' Orange Verte, I used to splash it on (not spray) and I splashed probably 2-3 mls at at time. It stuck for a couple of hours, when I did this.

I've never heard anyone speak about Balmain de Balmain before. Sounds like Cristalle by Chanel.
    Agree with mikeperez that splash rather than spray is a good way to get more mileage out of an ephemeral eau de cologne. For me, the specific method is to pour a bit into a cupped palm, distribute it to both hands, then splash/pat on body. There's a reason that so many traditional eaux de cologne and eaux fraiche came in BIG (8 oz or so) splash bottles - they were meant to be used this way.

I wear the Concentree version of Eau d'Orange Vert now, but I did manage to go through a couple of bottles of the original, and did so happily. Particularly good for those times when you are enfeebled by sickness or just the blahs. During my recovery from a bad bout of flu some years back, this cologne was about the only fragranced thing I could tolerate.

That Balmain de Balmain is good stuff, isn't it? I remember being in La Samaritaine department store in Paris in 2000 and trying some on as I made a purchase of something else. The very savvy sales lady saw me doing so and as she rung me up, she tossed about 5 nicely packaged samples of same in my bag. I was back to purchase a bottle before heading home to the States a week later. I'm glad to see men wearing and enjoying these green chypre scents regardless of what the gender label originally was.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 15th July 2009 at 05:07 PM.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you guys buy the Balmain?

I'm in a scent collecting mood but don't want to spend a lot of money.

Thanks!

I love Eau d'Orange Verte!

On me, while the great opening doesn't last very long, I get several hours out of the dry down.

If I'm out all day, I take an atomizer. Problem solved.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Once, tired because of its limited longevity, I decided to apply a generous amount of it. It did last a lot, besides I got compliments from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you guys buy the Balmain? I'm in a scent collecting mood but don't want to spend a lot of money. Thanks!
    $14.99 plus shipping at 1stperfume.com
    $19.99 w/free shipping at fragrancex.com
    You may even find it cheaper if you google around a bit. Balmain fragrances are always heavily discounted for some reason.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th July 2009 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    I love Eau d'Orange Verte!

On me, while the great opening doesn't last very long, I get several hours out of the dry down.

If I'm out all day, I take an atomizer. Problem solved.
    ^^ What he said. I get a few good hours out of normal EdOV. It is spectacular layered with Terre D'Hermes.