Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default What Perfume Does Your Mom or Dad wear ?

I'm interested to know what your Mom or Dad wears or has worn in the past ? Has it influenced your choices in perfume today ?
    I posted on a thread today about other fragrance uses. It got me thinking about my mother's perfume wardrobe ( she used Ma Griffe and Chantilly on herself and also her dogs! But that's another story ! )

My Mom has drawers filled with empty bottles , unopened bottles and semi used bottles from Guerlain perfumes, Gucci, Armani, Cartier, Elizabeth Arden, Je Reviens, Clarins and God knows what else. She kept a vintage bottle of Opium which I took ownership of ! I guess I get my perfume habit from her.
    Dad used Brut and Old Spice. I've tried to update him but to no avail !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 10th July 2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: darned spelling
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Default Re: What Perfume Does Your Mom or Dad wear ?

My mother used to wear, Arpege, Chantilly, Emeraude, L'air du temps, Je Reviens, Femme and Mystere by Rochas.
    Now she has left those all in the past and wears Dolce Vita by Dior and Tresor by Lancome.
    She definitely coloured my fragrant choices. But I grew to love Guerlain and she always detested all things by them, with a passion. She thought they were "cheap".

My father has been gone for many years but his last scent was by Pierre Cardin
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Mom used to religiously wear Cabochard, Bal a Versailles, Knowing and Private Collection the most. Currently, she in on a daily rotation with the Amouages, Bandit, LaddM and Bois d'encens (all mine )

Dad wears the cliche "father" fragrance: Eau Sauvage. He also enjoys Herrara for Men, Dunhill (forgot which one), Allure Homme Sport and Blanche. Oh...and Old Spice

Basenotes Institution

Off the point here , but staying ' in the family' - my sister is my evil scent twin !
    If she hates my perfume then I know it's right! She loves light perfumes and rarely uses anything else but Jo Malone Honeysuckle something or the other.
    It's so funny we are so different with scent.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sur la Plage

My mother used to like to wear Forever Krystle, since she liked to watch Dynasty and Krystle was her favorite character. She would never wear Scoundrel, which was the Joan Collins fragrance, since she hated the character of Alexis.

She bought my father Carrington to wear to compliment her.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hillaire

Mother: Cabochard or O de Lancome, as long as I can recall and still, each day
    Father much more of a fragrance fanatic (and always tasteful): I remember phases of: Antaeus, Givenchy Gentleman, Heritage, Azzaro, Krizia Uomo, Fendi Uomo, and Halston Z14 ... Now he wears mostly Rive Gauche, lots of it.

My Mom wears Shalimar EdT. My dad once bought her a bottle of L'Heure Bleu and she didn't like it (hence I axquired it). My dad no longer wears fragrance because he claims it makes him sneeze, but when I was young he wore Guerlain Imperiale. The vintage bottle in his bathroom still smells great. I was close with my grandfather who wore Polo in the winter and Rochas Moustache in the summer.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Dad wore Old Spice after shave.

Mom wore Mary Chess White Lilac when I was very young, and kept on her dresser an ancient and discolored bottle of Chanel No. 5 that must have been very deteriorated. It smelled pretty bad to me.

Later on she wore Halston and still later, Poison.

These days she only dabs on bergamot in a carrier oil, as Dad is frail and has become sensitive to perfumes.

I think she would be shocked if she saw how many fragrances I have.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th July 2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: dad's scent-- had it wrong

My mom's signature fragrance is Femme.
    My dad was the perfumisto: Egoiste, Allure Homme, Lagerfeld, Farenheit, Pasha Menthe, Santos, Lacoste-Jean Patou, Declaration.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

My mother didn't wear perfume when I was a kid, still doesn't. The only exceptions were L'Air du Temps which she got for Christmas (can't stand it, it makes me sneeze violently) and Chanel no 5 which I gave her because I had heard her saying she liked it. I gave her a 100 ml bottle of EdT in 1986 and there's still one third left.

So no, I have certainly not inherited my interest in scents from her!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

My mother wore Replique and Chanel No. 5 when I was little, and my dad wore Old Spice or Canoe. When I began to explore scents, right around my junior year of high school, I began influencing them, funnily enough. To this day, I still pick out special scents for both of them, and my mom, especially, enjoys what I pick. Truth be told, my dad's tastes have gone very mainstream in the last decade or so. (But as long as he is happy.)

My mom wears Molinard de Molinard now that I've given it to her-and wears it well.
    She previously wore Michael by Michael Kors (which she bought on clearance at Walgreens).
    Other than those, the only thing I know is that she likes orange blossom and tuberose.

The only things I remember my mum wearing are Ysatis (because someone gave it to her as a gift) and Le Jardin .
    I got my bottle of Joy from her third hand because she didn't like it after she got it from my aunt for the same reason so my perfumista leaning didn't come from mum.

I only ever remember my dad wearing Old Spice, he didn't go much for anything scented - he was a precision engineer and there wasn't much that could compete with 12 hours of sweat, hot metal and coolant. Now of course there would be several 'Niche' frags that would complement the picture

Mum is visiting me just now for a couple of weeks and wearing something different every day - and her wardrobe has already expanded by two 'likes' . We're planning a girls day out with sniffing included just now

My Dad always wore Old Spice or Ralph Lauren Polo.
    My Mum only wore perfume on the occasions she went out,
    Tweed or Arpege mainly.

My interest towards the perfume is without doubt influenced by my parents’ wardrobes.

My father has passed away for many years now, he had worn many; as far as I remember there were Monsieur Lanvin, Lanvin Vétiver, YSL pour Homme, Dunhill for Men, Dunhill Blend 30 and… Eau Sauvage as his signature scent. BTW my mother told me recently that my father used to wear Quelques Fleurs !

My mother used to wear among other things L’Air du Temps, Tigress, Femme, Joy, Fidji, Shalimar. But now since I’m in charge of her wardrobe, she wears VC&A First, Diorissimo, Chanel No. 19, Shalimar, Jardin de Bagatelle, Aqua Allegoria Lillia Bella and L’Instant de Guerlain….. She didn't like the latter at first but now she gets used to it.

Pops doesn't wear anything.

Mums used to wear some Estee Lauder but my habit here insipired her to get a new scent. What did she settle on? Vera Wang Princess! lol, not the kind of thing you'd expect a 60 year old woman to wear but hey, smells great on her!
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

My mom's current rotation involves Cabotine by Gres, Authentic Maroussia by Slava Zaitsev, Ispahan and Eau de Cedre Bleu- both by Yves Rocher
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

My mom tends to switch scents now and then.In her current rotation she has CK Euphoria and Armani code. Minis of Beyond paradise and Beautiful.

There's no question that my mother's tastes in scent have influenced my own, particularly her partiality to chypres. Since childhood, she has always had Caleche and Joy on rotation, and I enjoy both, but wear neither.

Scents we have shared across the years include Anais Anais (a one-off; it was fashionable at the time); Cristalle (a continued favourite of mine); and Diorissimo. I also recall her smelling lovely in Ricci's Fleur de Fleurs. She recently asked me to try to find her Antilope again -- her '60s scent.

I haven't seen my father in nearly two decades, but I remember him in pungent '70s scents, such as Paco Rabanne, Aramis and Quorum.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

My mother (who will be 70 this year) wears Bulgari Jasmin Noir, 24 Faubourg, and she just discovered the new Chloe edp, which she loves. I remember her wearing the original Chloe back in the day. Before all of these she wore 1000 de Patou for years. She also likes Armani Sensi when she can find it. And I remember she liked the original Gio, which is now discontinued. She's a one or two fragrance type, she'll wear one bottle until it's used up, and then go buy another of the same. I can't remember my father wearing any colognes at all. My step-father wears Terre d'Hermes now. He wore Boucheron Jaiphur Homme for a while. Before that he wore Equipage.

My mother's love of fine fragrance had me aware of perfume from a very young age. Now, we often take spritzes of each other's fragrances when we're visiting. For that matter, I've always taken spritzes of my step-father's fragrances as well. I love Equipage!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 10th July 2009 at 12:32 PM.

Basenotes Plus

My mum always used to wear Safari by Ralph Lauren and Beautiful by Estee Lauder when I was a kid. Now she wears MyQueen and Kenzo Amour.

My dad used to wear Dolce and Gabanna Pour Homme and Armani Eau Pour Homme when I was a kid. He now wears other 'dad-like' stuff - Habit Rouge, Platinum Egoiste and Eau Sauvage.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Blog Entries

All in the family---my wonderful grandmother wore 4711, Chanel no 5, and Charlie when just staying home doing housework etc. My grandfather wore Old Spice. I still love it so much.

My father wears nothing.

My mother rotates between Joy, Chanel no 5, Paloma Picasso, Giorgio Beverly Hills, and Must de Cartier.
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Interesting story behind what my mother wore.

My mother never wore a fragrance until well into her marriage. Then one day (this was 198x), seemingly out of the blue my father bought his boss's secretary a giftset of Beautiful by Estee Lauder possibly as a brown-nosing attempt. My mom complained and then he bought her some Beautiful as well. She wore it all the time after that and each Christmas we would get her Beautiful.

Since my father died a while ago my mother didn't wear anything for a long time until I became very interested in fragrances. I got her Pleasures for Christmas and she wears it quite often now!

And as I recall, my father didn't wear any fragrances except Old Spice aftershave. I raided his medicine cabinet a few times and that's all I ever saw. I think I saw Stetson and Brut but they were never opened.

I was just at my parents and enjoyed checking out my mom's dresser. Her current rotation is Chanel heavy- No 5, Cristalle edt, No 19, Coco, Coco Madamosielle. She and I both smell good in Chanel- maybe a chemistry thing. She also has Quelles Fleurs, Cabotine, and Spring Flowers. My dad has Aramis.

My mother wore Moment Supreme, Arpege (both perfumes, for night) and Woodhue cologne during the day when I was a kid. Later, she experimented with drugstore scents like Charlie (yuck) and Moon Drops. A friend gave me a box of vintage stuff the other day that contained some Trigere perfume, which I swear she wore at some point -- it sounds so familiar. She loved fragrance and I grew up wearing and trying different ones.

My father wore Mennen Skin Bracer, only as an after shave, and wouldn't have been caught dead wearing cologne. He was of his time (WWII) when many American men didn't wear colognes. He had a real issue with it and always said something to me if I wore too much or if my brother wore any at all!
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

I honestly don't remember my Mom wearing perfume of any kind. She usually just smelled like her fabulous garden.

Dad wore a lot of CK scents that his girlfriend bought him (well after my Mom passed), and probably Brut when I was little.

My Grandmother always wore waaaaaaaaaaay too much Youth Dew (not that it was any more tolerable in tiny amounts) and even today even the merest waft of it make me want to toss my cookies.

I have lovely memories of my mother (who is no longer with us) wearing tons of Jungle Gardenia. Don't remember her ever wearing anything else, although she sold Mary Kay for awhile and may have used some of their scents. Dad has always been pretty much scentless, although I remember him using Old Spice aftershave in his younger years.
    My brother used Brut "soap-on-a-rope" once
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

My mum wore certain scents as I was growing up, mainly Chantilly, I think....she loved the original Le De Givenchy, but rarely wore it, she hoarded a bottle she was given as a gift in the 1960s...fortunately kept in the box as it has pride of place on her dresser! I was happy to get her a decant from TPC for mother's day, she now wears it occasionally. I went to France in 1985 and picked her up a bottle of the then-new (and not available yet in the US) Eau de Givenchy, which she wore almost exclusively for several years.

My dad didn't wear much scent, but always wore a little of the original Caswell Massey Newport when he was going out somewhere. I found a vintage bottle on ebay (with the help of Basenoter Amit, thanks!) and gave it to him for Father's Day.

Thus my parental scent obligations have been fulfilled!

My Grandmother had quite a scent wardrobe, and she always wore a specific fragrance for each activity. She had a lunching perfume, a shopping perfume, a Bridge day perfume, a volunteer day perfume. Oddly enough, my first association with the smell of "Church" is not one of Avingon-style incense, but of Grandma's Avon Candid backed up with the brand new interior of her giant 1970's post Vatican II Church in Florida!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: What Perfume Does Your Mom or Dad wear ?

My mom anddad have both passed away but, I do remember what mymom wore. My mom was the force behind my interest in fragrances. Her favorite was Caron Nuit de Noel. She also liked Caron Infini and Forever. Just before she passed away I got her some Shalimar. My Dad was not into fragrances. I miss them both very much and the above fragrances set off my memories.

I remember Old Spice, Brut, Kouros and 4711 popping up on my father's dresser during the 70s before I left home. He's still around and has a bottle of Dunhill from years ago that he mentioned he's happy with. I only remember my Mum making a fuss of ZEN when it first came out - a Japanese Perfume in New Zealand - very new! I remeber the black and gold bottle. Just before she died my cousin told me she had bought and loved Insolence EDP - which doesn't surprise me - she was pretty adventurous even in her mid 80s!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov