Code of Conduct

Default Light patchouli scents?

I'm looking for a lighter scent with a strong patchouli presence, but not head-shop style patchouli or a heavy, amber-based patchouli scent. The only patchouli scents I have are Polo and Mazzolari Lui. I'm starting to get tired of wearing Polo so much, and the Mazzolari is just too heavy to wear in the summer for me. Anyone know of a good light patchouli scent that's relatively affordable (i.e., under $100)? I'm particularly interested in non-niche frags, so I don't have to go bankrupt - buying the Mazzolari set me back $180, though it was well worth it.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

AromiErotici

Default Re: Light patchouli scents?

Molinard is $20 something per bottle (100ml) and is an "airy" patchouli that's masculine. I bought it blind not too long ago and have received quite a few compliments from it.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Molinard is $20 something per bottle (100ml) and is an "airy" patchouli that's masculine. I bought it blind not too long ago and have received quite a few compliments from it.
    I read your review (or maybe it was Foetidus'), and didn't you say that it was a head shop type scent? If it is, I think I'll pass - I don't want to smell like a slacker.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I read your review (or maybe it was Foetidus'), and didn't you say that it was a head shop type scent? If it is, I think I'll pass - I don't want to smell like a slacker.
    No. I did not say it smelled like head shop variety. I'd also like to know what a slacker smells like bro?

Tom Ford White Patchouli is light and is not a head shop patchouli. You may also like L'Artisan Patchouli Patch. It starts a little like a head shop at first, but that quality goes away very quickly. Bois 1920 Real Patchouly is lighter too. Even though it is an amber patch, it is not syrupy and has more woody notes and a refreshing menthol edge.

Etat Libre d'Orange Nombril Immense is a light patchouli, not head shopish, and only $70. Alternatively try Mugler Ice*Men (coffee/patchouli).

Basenotes Institution

Asha said it: Patchouli Patch by L' Artisan is what you want. Think of it as Fat Free Patchouli. Although one has to like cinnamon, to wear this comfortably.

Givenchy Gentleman has lots of patchouli, but I think it can work well in the summer, YMMV

Lovely stuff, I totally agree.

If you can find it: Ungaro I

Whether or not it's "light" is subjective, but I find it lighter than many other patchouli scents.

Definitely won't make one smell like a relic of the 60's.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 10th July 2009 at 06:44 AM. Reason: **MADE AN ERROR, AS I BELIEVE UNGARO I *DOES* CONTAIN AMBER. STILL MIGHT BE WORTH A SNIFF.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

The best 'non head shop' Patchouli I know is Chanel Coromandel (I wore Patchouli Oil in the 70s BTW) which is quite refined, dressy and just plain NICE.

It retails here for USD 200 - BUT - it's a 200 ml bottle. So (I'm good at post rationalization / self justification etc when it comes to this sort of thing) you're looking at USD 100 for 100 ml, which is in budget? You just gotta buy twice as much . . . recommend you try it even if only as a comparison with other stuff mentioned. I believe Les Exclusifs can be ordered online from Chanel site now (?).
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 10th July 2009 at 07:09 AM.

Blog Entries

I agree with the recommendations for L'Artisan Patchouli Patch. I found it to be clean and a little creamy. Not at all a "head shop" patchouli, but clearly patchouli nonetheless.

I've sampled Tom Ford White Patchouli only once. I thought opened with a lot of pepper and was very spicy, with creamy musk in the dry down. It was unusual to me, and I should try to locate my sample to form a more complete opinion.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    L'Artisan Patchouli Patch..
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Patchouli Patch by L' Artisan.
    Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    L'Artisan Patchouli Patch.
    Ta-Da ! Another Vote among patch prominent scents..i have Thundra, Ungaro I, Patchouli Patch, Givenchy Gentleman, Mazzolari Lui, Leonard Ph, Black Oudh & XXV...and i cud very safely say, Patchouli Patch is one the best in terms of wearability and it's light handed appraoch...saying so, it by no means is a lame scent.. the Patch note is as real as it gets

but you said non from the Niche range...hmm. the Molinard suggestion is perfect..so is Givenchy Gentleman..and may i add Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills. you cud also look into the Demeter line and see if they have any patch dominant scent...

White patchouli is quite nice.
    Not heavy with the patchouli, but a nice balanced batchouli, roses and jasmin scent.

Besides the above-mentioned Patchouli Patch, which is a perfect choice for summer indeed, you could try Patchouli Pure by fresh. It mixes notes of ginger, bergamot and orange with patchouli and has a nice base of pepper, amber and tonka.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    Besides the above-mentioned Patchouli Patch, which is a perfect choice for summer indeed, you could try Patchouli Pure by fresh. It mixes notes of ginger, bergamot and orange with patchouli and has a nice base of pepper, amber and tonka.

Coming from Gerald you better take note Shamu

Sur la Plage

Another vote for Fresh Patchouli Pure.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Light on the patchouli with an herbal oriental/.sandalwood drydown...Jovan Sex Appeal For Men...1-2 shots.

Mugler Ice Men is a light patchouli of the summer

No. I did not say it smelled like head shop variety. I'd also like to know what a slacker smells like bro?
    Sorry, I made a mistake - it was Foetidus' review, which is listed right below yours, that said the Molinard was good "if it's a straightforward headshop patchouli you want". What I mean is that I like frags that have patchouli as a prominent note, but not ones that smell mostly like pure patchouli oil. WHen I'm thinking of "headshop" patchoulis, I'm talking about frags that smell like just pure patchouli oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron01 View Post
    Givenchy Gentleman has lots of patchouli, but I think it can work well in the summer, YMMV
    I last wore GG about 12 years ago, and I liked it, but I've heard it's been drastically reformulated and everyone seems to hate the new version. I haven't tried the new. Still heavy on the patchouli?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Another vote for Fresh Patchouli Pure.
    For y'all recommending Fresh... do any of you smell any patchouli? Someone gave me a mini and I swear there's no distinct patchouli in there!

Quote Originally Posted by dynastyd95 View Post
    excellent suggestion. if there's Patchouli (the way its in niche) in designer scents then its in Ice*Men and A*men.
    Last edited by jenson; 10th July 2009 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    Etat Libre d'Orange Nombril Immense is a light patchouli, not head shopish, and only $70. Alternatively try Mugler Ice*Men (coffee/patchouli).
    You know, I've heard good things about this one, and it's in my price range. I'll order a sample from LuckyScent.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    excellent suggestion. if there's Patchouli (the way its in niche) in designer scents then its in Ice*Men and A*men.
    I'm curious about this one, esp. b/c it's now sold in Marshalls at like $35. I absolutely despise AMen (way to sweet and heavy for me), but I like BMen a lot (sweet but not heavy). If Ice is a lot like BMen, I might pass because I'm looking for a scent with a strong patchouli presence - BMen has some, but the patch is kind of in the background.

I'm curious about this one, esp. b/c it's now sold in Marshalls at like $35. I absolutely despise AMen (way to sweet and heavy for me), but I like BMen a lot (sweet but not heavy). If Ice is a lot like BMen, I might pass because I'm looking for a scent with a strong patchouli presence - BMen has some, but the patch is kind of in the background.
    Ice*men is nothin like A*Men or B*Men..you are in for a surprise here... do sample it.

Frankly this type of question was on my mind with my own (and I'm sure I'm not alone) sensitivity to patchouli when it's NOT in the background or played off something like sandalwood.

Along with sinus effects, asssociations with hippies, headshops are fair ones, IMO as well remembrances of New Age/Tarot Card-reading women...now in their 50's...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Asha said it: Patchouli Patch by L' Artisan is what you want. Think of it as Fat Free Patchouli. Although one has to like cinnamon, to wear this comfortably.
    Yep, this is the one to try. Very nice light patch.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Great suggestion. I'll also third or fourth the Fresh Patchouli Pure.

And Ice*Men is pretty far detached from A*men and B*men, the only thing that really attaches them is a patchouli note, which is most distinct in Ice*Men and A*Men.

Nombril Immense is my favourite patchouli...very clean & transparent.

TF's White Patchouli made me feel ill...nauseating.

Does anyone else find Le Labo Patchouli utterly etherial?

Speaking as someone who...'inhaled' quite a few times in my younger days, I frequented a few head shops. Most of these stores smelled more of amber resin and spices mixed with a little patchouli, similar to the majority of the incense they sold. I prefer the rich, oriental, amber, spice patchoulis but Etat Libre d'Orange Nombril Immense is a notable exception. It's a potent almost clean smelling patchouli and one of my new favorites.
    Last edited by Sloan; 10th July 2009 at 03:31 PM.

Keiko Mecheri's Patchoulissme is another airy, non-leaden, reduced-fat patch. I've actually worn it quite a lot in warm weather, and it is not a smotherer.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Speaking as someone who...'inhaled' quite a few times in my younger days, I frequented a few head shops. Most of these stores smelled more of amber resin and spices mixed with a little patchouli, similar to the majority of the incense they sold. I prefer the rich, oriental, amber, spice patchoulis but Etat Libre d'Orange Nombril Immense is a notable exception. It's a potent almost clean smelling patchouli and one of my new favorites.
    LOL. Glad someone finally addressed this. As someone familiar with what hippies actually smell like I kind of laugh at the stereotypes surrounding patchouli. First of all one is more likely to smell nag champa then patchouli where hippies congregate. Second, any patchouli discussed on this site is going to be different then those associated with a head shop or parking lot. Finally, are people really concerned they're going to be thought of negatively wearing patchouli (especially if you don't look like a wookie)? The myths and perceptions of patchouli have reached fragrance urban legend status. I'm not saying there's no basis in reality - there is - but the actual fear of being labeled based on wearing a patchouli scent is a bit silly.

how did i miss this... Les Nereides Patchouli Antique...it's available at Luckyscent for some $60 i suppose. fab scent..underrated to the core..

Seigneur by Galimard has a strong patchouli character.

I last wore GG about 12 years ago, and I liked it, but I've heard it's been drastically reformulated and everyone seems to hate the new version. I haven't tried the new. Still heavy on the patchouli?
    Yes, the change has been with the civet and some of the other notes, not the patchouli.

Vintage GG can be found on ebay, which is the version I have

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try IceMan, the Etat Libre d'Orange one, and Les Nereides Patchouli Antique. I might try the Givenchy, but I've only worn the vintage and not many people seem to like the reformulation.

By the way, do any of you consider Polo to be a patchouli based scent? I've worn it for years, and the patchouli smells very prominent to me and I love it.

Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Yes, it has been reformulated, the vintage version is beter than the present version, this is"flatter", but still it is not bad.

Addressing your point, I don't know what "light patchouly" might be since I am not familiar with niche brands suggested (unf. they are not available down here): IMHO, the vintage or the present versions of GG are far from light.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Yes, it has been reformulated, the vintage version is beter than the present version, this is"flatter", but still it is not bad.

Addressing your point, I don't know what "light patchouly" might be since I am not familiar with niche brands suggested (unf. they are not available down here): IMHO, the vintage or the present versions of GG are far from light.
    I'll agree that at least the vintage GG is very heavy, and is the main reason I stopped wearing it years ago. It's a good scent, and I do like a lot of heavy frags, but sweet and heavy usually gets on my nerves. When I say "light", I mean a patchouli scent that doesn't have the usual rich amber, honey or vanilla base that you see in a lot of them. I'm looking for something I can easily wear in summer - I love Mazzolari Lui, but it's a slog in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    how did i miss this... Les Nereides Patchouli Antique...it's available at Luckyscent for some $60 i suppose. fab scent..underrated to the core..
    My favorite patch scent , but it has some head shop smell to it but very nice...

Polo is a fougere, no? Interesting I've never thought of it for its patchouli...I'll remember that the next time I wear it.

still no mention of Etro. It always gets little mention though - I don't know why. Or I could be wrong, but upon sampling it I found it pointed and clean and I guess on the lighter end. Not sweet or weighed down by amber or vanila or other stuff. I'm just going to get a bottle as it seems like it would do well in summer and all year round.

Polo is a fougere, no? Interesting I've never thought of it for its patchouli...I'll remember that the next time I wear it.
    It's sharp initial lavender-like blast made me initially think of Polo as a fougere, but I believe it's categorized as a woody chypre, which I'd agree with since it has strong wood notes, but has the essential sharp greenness that chypres have. I'm wearing it right now (been wearing it for 7 hours), and the patchouli note is very clear. People around here never talk about Polo for some reason. I think it's great.

I've just discovered Patchouli Homme by Réminiscence. It is much lighter than Patchouli Patch, if that is what you are looking for. I'm a Montale Patchouli Leaves fan myself, so I find this a bit too light to be a favorite for me, but if you are looking for something lighter, this would be a great choice. The top notes are mandarin and lime, and the basenotes include musk and labdanum, making this a fresh version of patchouli that is quite enjoyable.

I second the Molinard! Slightly warm, a tad sweet to round out the patchouli without compromising all its sharper edges.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by cedarnotes View Post
    still no mention of Etro. It always gets little mention though - I don't know why. Or I could be wrong, but upon sampling it I found it pointed and clean and I guess on the lighter end. Not sweet or weighed down by amber or vanila or other stuff. I'm just going to get a bottle as it seems like it would do well in summer and all year round.
    I love Etro's Patchouly - dry, no amber or vanilla - has a bleached-bone purity that I crave in hot weather. However, I held off buying a bottle given the changes at Etro lately - namely, the jump in price and change in packaging. Wanted to see if those details were harbingers of reformulated juice. Anyone very recently purchase this?

Eau de Rochas has a nice soft patchouli base
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by cedarnotes View Post
    I found Etro's to be one of the worst ever...maybe I'm not enough of a patchouli-fan, but it was really, really strong and cloying for about 15 minutes, then it faded to nothing...I figure that must be some sort of magic trick based on the nature of the ingredient and its typical use as basenote.

One of the best light patchouli fragrances around is Micallef Patchouli. This fragrance has held its spot in my wardrobe for quite a while by how the patchouli is softened by elements that enhance the cool earthy and camphorous aspects of pathcouli and tones down the sharp bright notes. Blended with orris, violet, vetiver, cedar, soft leather notes the patchoui in this blend is masterfully done. The only downside is it costs $200 for a bottle. Still it is one my favorites for its lightness of being.

Today i layered Aveda Patchouli oil with Diesel zero plus and it's wonderful. I got the idea from Bond 9 Hot Always,( while i eagerly await it's return). And a around 35 bucks is very nice.

I just sampled Ice Men for the first time today, and man, it is excellent! This is exactly the kind of light patchouli scent I've been looking for. It smells almost like a feminine fragrance, reminding me of some fragrances that my wife wears and I love (Tocca, Miss Dior), and that's one of the reasons I love it. Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm a patchouli lover from way back. I still have an old bottle of Oleg Cassini for men that has a light patchouli note in it. I'm not sure if this is still made. Yes, La Labo Patchouli 24 is wonderful, but definitely not light.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I haven't found anything better than Patchouli Patch. Yes, it does smell like patchouli.
    -

Beyond Paradise (men) has a Patchouli drydown and is great for summer, providing you can tolerate the synthetic melange. Also, I second the Keiko Mecheri.

In the summer (or whenever) I buy a small bottle (10ml) of patchouli perfume oil from an incense shop or whereever and then pour some into a ShiKai unscented shower gel bottle. Then I just shower with it and have a nice Patchouli aura with me for the day, unless I add a scent over it. That reminds me: Caswell Massey has a good one called Aura of Patchouli that's pretty bold and rich, but goes well in summer as it's not so dark and hippie-oriented.
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

anyone tried Demeter Patchouli? considering the line, it will probably ultra light.

TF White Patchouli smells great, completely gender neutral and elegant. Not extremely patchouli-ly but I guess it is very difficult to get that and light at the same tiime

not an expert on patchouli scents, but i smelled Tom Ford's White Patchouli and found it quite likable. the initial blast has the very same earthy top that Black Orchid has. when it dries down it has a very clean feel. it's not headshop or hippie clean; it's more soapy fresh than herbal fresh. i enjoy it and if i wasn't in a recession i would buy a small bottle just to have around and enjoy for myself.