Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default YouTube Cologne Reviewer

Some of you might have watched some of his videos before.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tswetcoff

I watched a few not too long ago and if i remember correctly he mentioned Basenotes before. I also noticed that some of the facts about the frags he reviews contains stuff that i think he read about here.

So is this guy a member of Basenotes?

Default Re: YouTube Cologne Reviewer

Interesting, thanks for posting this.

Some Basenoters might also know this particular review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5JAvrGH46Y

Yea I've seen his videos from time to time and see that he's been doing some research on basenotes and probly other blogs! Can't blame him for that but he's been pushing fragrance.net in his recent reviews and it irks me because he makes it sound like their one of the cheaper online discounters (i myself prefer scentiments and other sites) and thus gives me the impression he's getting the perfumes free from them thanks to his advertising! It also makes sense since his most recent reviews aren't as well liked in basenotes like keneth cole black, Versace Man, Chrome, etc. (look at his top summer lists - don't want to sound too mean but, ewwww ;0 ) and he says he likes them. I'd rather not be cynical about it but he went from loving scents like AMen and Envy to some of the scents fragrance.net pushes (probly cuz he got them for free) but hey, he could just really like them and taken on the Mainstream Designer scent Review mantle. Nothing wrong with that but I'd rather trush the other youtube cologne reviewers more (there's a couple more out there who review as often!) .

ooofireballooo,

I do enjoy his older reviews compared to the newer ones. If u noticed his older reviews didn't always end with the FragranceNet code. Also, not too long ago he said in one review he was broke and had to depend on samples (something like that). Then all of a sudden, so many new bottles appear. This is all just speculation. So Tim, if u read this no offence all right.

I couldn't get past 10 seconds. Aweful.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I couldn't get past 10 seconds. Aweful.
    That bad huh...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    I'm flattered - he reads from my site about Guerlain Homme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwnN...e=channel_page

hahah that one was torturous as he spent 3 minutes basically reading the description of Guerlain Homme from the Guerlain website!

His videos are informative though for those who aren't Basenoters or fragrance addicts. Nice to see someone mainstream reviewing fragrance simply for the love of fragrance. I'd rather read reviews than watch them, but kudos to him.
    Sales thread here

Dependent

I do take my hats of anyone who is willing to share his interest in fragrance with others for their knowledge benefits, on youtube. I do also enjoy looking at visual tours of quite impressive collections as well.
    Last edited by MFJ; 11th December 2009 at 06:11 AM.

I looked at a couple of reviews. Burberry was a laugh. Bad also: Tim reads most of his text and doesn't really look at you often. That makes him appear a little insecure and not convincing. But I think that could change as he gets into more of a routine. Maybe she should have a coach. He must eliminate repetitions and think of variations to 'pehenomenal'. Quite believable as a person. Winning smile!

What mattered most: believe it or not, but with the exception of Azzaro Chrome I knew none of the fragrances in his Top Five Summer Colognes, and he made me curious enough to try them all! The articles of a well known pro in New York often have the opposite effect, so there!

About a year ago I discovered another guy, usually giving fashion advice, but I found his perfume talk fun, too. (If I find him again, I may have to bump this thread).
    Last edited by narcus; 11th July 2009 at 06:29 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I do enjoy some of the youtube reviewers. I just wish there were more of them. Some one better qualified to review scents and someone more technologically savy should start one up!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Maybe one of us from BN should start doing fragrance review videos and post them on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Maybe one of us from BN should start doing fragrance review videos and post them on YouTube.
    Sounds like a great idea!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I looked at a couple of reviews. Burberry was a laugh. Bad also: Tim reads most of his text and doesn't really look at you often. That makes him appear a little insecure and not convincing. But I think that could change as he gets into more of a routine. Maybe she should have a coach. He must eliminate repetitions and think of variations to 'pehenomenal'. Quite believable as a person. Winning smile!

I think he does put in the effort, sometimes very well-dressed. [/B]

What mattered most: believe it or not, but with the exception of Azzaro Chrome I knew none of the fragrances in his Top Five Summer Colognes, and he made me curious enough to try them all! The articles of a well known pro in New York often have the opposite effect, so there!

I believe its the down-to-earth vibe that people find appealing and easier to relate to. Maybe thats why we may otherwise be put off by too sophisticated reviews by pros. Just my 2cents

About a year ago I discovered another guy, usually giving fashion advice, but I found his perfume talk fun, too. (If I find him again, I may have to bump this thread).

Do Share! We MUST smell GOOD, so it won't hurt to dress well doing so

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I do enjoy some of the youtube reviewers. I just wish there were more of them. Some one better qualified to review scents and someone more technologically savy should start one up!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Sounds like a great idea!

That may well start a war! I was also thinking along the lines of guys/gals here great with notes and frags starting a BN section on youtube. And maybe members here can submit their own vids for vetting by admin/mods b4 being uploaded under BN's name, something to consider for the future i reckon.

Well guys guess what...Tim (the YouTube cologne reviewer) actually read this thread. At the beginning of his latest review (Rive Gauche PH) he mentions this thread. Although he did seem a little disappointed with some of the comments posted here. He's actually doing the Rive Gauche review just for us here at BN because of our refined taste in fragrances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXaFX...e=channel_page

Nevertheless he did seem a good sport and took our criticisms well. Good show Tim if u do ever read this.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 15th July 2009 at 12:01 PM.

AromiErotici

I give this guy props. You have to have a passion on a certain level to go through all the trouble of recording, posting and putting yourself out there for criticism.

It's also nice to hear basenotes mentioned. I'm quite sure viewers of his will inadvertently visit the site and be potential members.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I give this guy props. You have to have a passion on a certain level to go through all the trouble of recording, posting and putting yourself out there for criticism.

It's also nice to hear basenotes mentioned. I'm quite sure viewers of his will inadvertently visit the site and be potential members.
    I agree.

I think he is doing a good job. Plus he is cute also.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent

He gets my vote too. I went thru most of his videos and definitely will want to see him continue what he's doing.

Too long and boring.

I saw most clips by the reviewers mentioned here, and I give them props also for sharing the love of fragrance and particularly the guy who gave a shout-out to BNs.

My only complaint...I generally don't have the patience to sit through a 2-5 minute review of one fragrance. I'd like to see several reviewed in one clip...I'd also like someone who shows off his/her collection in detail.

I just saw his response to this BN post. I think he comes from a sincere angle, and its nice to know that he knows we're here, recognized our passion for scents, and, hell, if he plugs Fragrancenet, he's being a good businessman.

I was just a little bothered with his room--looked liked he still lived with his parents and it definitely looked very "lived in". I give em props for at least making his bed and his mascot cat (was it real?) on it in the background.

He should hang out in the forum a little bit more, build a little more insight. PERFUMISTOS, UNITE! :toppie:

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    I just saw his response to this BN post. I think he comes from a sincere angle, and its nice to know that he knows we're here, recognized our passion for scents, and, hell, if he plugs Fragrancenet, he's being a good businessman.

I was just a little bothered with his room--looked liked he still lived with his parents and it definitely looked very "lived in". I give em props for at least making his bed and his mascot cat (was it real?) on it in the background.

He should hang out in the forum a little bit more, build a little more insight. PERFUMISTOS, UNITE! :toppie:
    Why are you bothered that he lives with his parents and his room looks lived in ?
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 16th July 2009 at 03:55 AM.

Why are you bothered that he lives with his parents and his room looks lived in ?
    Too personal, too personal. I feel like a stranger invading his room.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 16th July 2009 at 03:59 AM.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

AromiErotici

What I'd like to see is some members here do the same thing. There are some pretty good reviewers here that could give a truncated and lucid review of multiple scents in one appearance.

Reviewing 5 Fougeres,Chypres or Orientals from different houses would be extremely good to go. Maybe this is something we could make come to pass.

I think he just needs some practice, really. A lot of us would be pretty rough around the edges if we started doing something like this, I think.

Hopefully he keeps at it

I only watched the one that mentions this thread too. He looks like a nice guy and looks like he cares about informing his viewers, but he repeats himself too many times.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    Too personal, too personal. I feel like a stranger invading his room.
    ok i get your point. Although i see nothing wrong with it.

ok i get your point. Although i see nothing wrong with it.
    Yup, just an observation, it wasn't to criticize. That's pretty much how my bedroom looks like.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I honestly don't care about Tim's fragrance taste or the quality of his reviews. I am a subscriber and still enjoy watching the videos nonetheless. Takes balls.

When I first started getting into fragrances I found Tim's reviews and tips helpful. However sometimes I feel like he is reading his reviews from a website like Basenotes, though he does include his own description of the fragrance. Sometimes I got a bit of a BS vibe from him like someone trying to sell me a gaming system at Best Buy who doesn't really know what they're talking about, but I think he has improved. His videos are too long and could be more organized and focused. It's also pretty annoying when he stops mid-sentence to change the song he's playing - why not just have a playlist set up?

Now that probably sounds more negative than I intend but I watched quite a few of his videos back in the day so I had a lot of time to think about things to critique. I just watched another of this videos and it seems like he's improved quite a bit - it was probably a matter of becoming more comfortable doing these reviews.

I'll definitely credit him for getting me excited about fragrances and in my opinion he has pretty good recommendations for most guys in their 20s.

In Toastmasters we sometimes try to give speakers "glows" - things they did well - and "grows" - things they can work on. Even the best speaker will always have room for improvement.

I can't imagine he would have a FragranceNet code without being reimbursed in some way. Perhaps he just gets free bottles or a bigger discount of some sort. Nothing wrong with that, really.
    Last edited by makeitrainharder; 11th December 2009 at 05:25 AM.

I've been subscribed to Tim for over a year now. He has inspired me to go back and revisit certain fragrances that I didn't originally care for that much, such as Chrome, Happy, and A*Men. I've never made a blind purchase based on his reviews, but then again I'm smart enough not to make a blind purchase based on anyone's reviews. I look forward to his videos.

BTW, why did someone bump this old-ass thread?

tim rules, he's doing an excellent work, he's a nice guy, i bought some fragrances (blind) based on his reviews and im happy.. i asked him some things in private and he's very friendly.+1
    Last edited by blas; 11th December 2009 at 05:48 AM.

BINGO

As a youtube reviewer, and friend of Tim's. I must say he's a stand up guy who's very caring and comfortable with his love for something most people usually laugh at. It takes a individual to be comfortable in their own skin aside from our mainstream society. I feel Tim does that.

Out of all the youtube fragrance reviewers, Tim and Patrick are the only dude's I stay in close touch with. If you haven't gotten the chance to watch Patrick's videos, you should check him out. He's funny and more importantly a great dude with good energy and he works in fragrance.

I say this. If you don't like any of the said reviewers, simply don't watch their videos or do it better yourself. I know personally that Tim and Patrick do their reviews out of personal interest and love for fragrance.

I think what he's doing is overall pretty good. It may seem ameteur to US but it's pretty useful for most people just getting into this. And everyone starts somewhere.

Tim, if you're reading this... here are some thing I think you could improve on:
    Tidy up the room and get rid of some clutter, you'll be taken more seriously
    Get better lighting to offset the screen glow and maybe a better webcam so the stuff is higher quality.
    Oil that damn squeeky chair and try not to swivel around so much
    put together some sort of review agenda/format, like "first I'm going to discuss the notes, then the price, then, etc" up front so people know what they're getting into and creates consistency in all your review
    practice a couple of times. These reviews need to either be edited to trim fat or practiced but they're a little too long and repetitive. There's many a tangent or ramble.
    PLEASE stop just talking "about" it like how much you love it and how great it is and talk more about what it actually smells like, when it's appropriate for, how long does it last, what's the sillage, etc. Add things like comparisons. "if you like x, y or z, then give this a try", actual practical info.
    Anyway, overall good job dude. i've watched almost every one of your vids and a bunch of other people's and yours are the best, but can still be even better

PS - I think i may have a man crush on him. Timmy boy, I'm a straight up dude but even I can say you've got a charm I'm envious of!
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I really enjoy watching all of the Youtube reviewers, including Tim. I don't mind the length of the videos or the messy room. I appreciate everything from the focused, concise, and polished videos that Katie makes to the more relaxed, casual, and conversational videos from Tim. Just different styles...

But I would love it if more people from Basenotes would do video reviews. There still aren't very many niche fragrances being reviewed on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGO View Post
    As a youtube reviewer...
    I just have to add that Bingo's (unfortunately now deleted) Youtube review of Terre d'Hermes was one of my favorite reviews of all time. It wasn't so much what you said as how you said it. It conveyed such excitement and enthusiasm for the fragrance that I had to get my bottle and smell it in a new frame of mind. That doesn't happen very often with printed reviews.

Youtube users like Cformosa4 and Tswetcoff actually really inspired me to get out there and discover some fragrances. Even though they weren't the first to come around to spark my curiosity, they definitely contributed to what I would now call a "fragrance addiciton" lol.
    I actually did a trade with Tim back in the summer. It was Givenchy Pi and Hummer H2 for Canali, 1/2 of a Bellagio, and what was suppose-to-be a Gucci by Gucci mini, but turned out to be a bundle of broken glass, LOL!
    But seriously, if you guys think Tim's reviews aren't that great, post some reviews of your own! I'd love to see some fragrance reviews from BNer's.
    First, it'll be one member, then 2 or 3 of his/her friends..and then half of the BN community XD
    Last edited by MassMenace; 11th December 2009 at 04:20 PM.

the best reviewer on youtube is Marc hands down

his name on here is L'Homme

Lol@ the criticisms. Tim does seem to push the hell outta fragrance.net, and I have no doubt that he is benefitting from that in some form or fashion. But truth be told, I really like his videos. His enthusiasm is quite entertaining, and he does have a certain sincereness and charm that makes him quite likable. He and Marc have inspired me to begin youtubing. Only problem is-my laptop is out of order right now. Once I get it up, and get a web cam, I'll probably start doing some videos. I would love to see some of us do some videos as well.

BINGO

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    I just have to add that Bingo's (unfortunately now deleted) Youtube review of Terre d'Hermes was one of my favorite reviews of all time. It wasn't so much what you said as how you said it. It conveyed such excitement and enthusiasm for the fragrance that I had to get my bottle and smell it in a new frame of mind. That doesn't happen very often with printed reviews.
    It's comments like these that make putting reviews together worth my time. Thanks for the constructed comments and the positive energy. Just for you, I will throw that Terre d'Hermes video back up!

Much love

Bingo, are you Tyler?

if so, why did you delete your vids? they were good reviews

Youtube is a great source, specially if I'm on the fence on something and find a video on that fragrance, the vids are so entertaining. I gotta give props to Tim , Cubby & Patrick which brought me into it. Specially Tim since he's still trucking and continuing to throw out vids. I only wish there was much more videos, there should be a vid on every single scent made.. yep ! All reviewers are great too , you can expect to get an answer to a question within a week. I find it a great resource that we should all use
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

I get a kick out of these youtube reviews. I've seen a few by that one guy in his bedroom. I appreciate him carrying some of our reviews and favored frags out there to the masses.

I just wish some hard core, "notes head" basenoter would start one. I'd really like to see a joint Mario J/Foetidus tandem on camera.

Especially need someone who can really roll the French names off the tongue and correctly pronounce all of the notes.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 13th December 2009 at 05:59 AM.

BINGO

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    Bingo, are you Tyler?

if so, why did you delete your vids? they were good reviews
    That would be me.

Many reasons why the videos came down, but it was mainly due to the fact that I'm very busy with school. My attention needs to be more towards that right now.

If you would like to know the others, please PM me and we'll talk.

The good news is I have some new fragrances to review after finals are done on Tuesday. I am planning to change the way I review fragrances. While I respect Tim and Patrick, I want to do something different.

Just to clear the air. I am NOT one of the reviewers getting discount or money for my reviews. They are purely out of enjoyment for scent, and sharing that love with others. I purchase ALL of my scents and the ones I test are usually from a walk in at Barney's or samples obtained through Neimans.

I do not plan to collect every fragrance from Macy's and tell kids from high school what will get them laid. Not my thing.

I am more interested in the classics and niche market. By request I may do a few mainstreamer's if it's worth a review. Otherwise, just about everything on todays mainstream designer market bores me to death.

As far as pronouncing the names of all the scents reviewed, I do what I can. I find it funny when people get bent out of shape over mis-pronouncing something. What's most important to me is the fragrance itself and the experience of wearing that scent.

Thank you for the kind words. Stand by for more reviews. The followers are small, but numbers aren't what I'm going for. Quality is

Well give us a heads up in here when you do some more Bingo....

Personally, good, or bad, I appreciate them.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 13th December 2009 at 07:10 AM.

BINGO

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Well give us a heads up in here when you do some more Bingo....
    Will do buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Lol@ the criticisms. Tim does seem to push the hell outta fragrance.net, and I have no doubt that he is benefitting from that in some form or fashion. But truth be told, I really like his videos. His enthusiasm is quite entertaining, and he does have a certain sincereness and charm that makes him quite likable. He and Marc have inspired me to begin youtubing. Only problem is-my laptop is out of order right now. Once I get it up, and get a web cam, I'll probably start doing some videos. I would love to see some of us do some videos as well.
    I have nothing against Tim at all, and I kind of agree with "likeable character" that Larwiz mentioned, in fact I watched many of his videos. The only thing is, I can't stand his metro-ness. Not just him, But I can't stand metrosexual guy in general. I totally yucked when I see one. But then again, Tim probably yucked when he sees a guy like me lol. I have a couple of friends that have that metro vibe, and I always feel disgusted sometimes, I don't hate them though . So yeah, Kudos to Tim.
    Last edited by djobeat; 13th December 2009 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djobeat View Post
    The only thing is, I can't stand his metro-ness.
    I don't see it. We maybe have a different understanding of the term, but he's far from it by my definition. If you want to see "metro", check out Marc's reviews (who is actually my favorite reviewer, along with Tyler).

I used to like Tim, but the recent Fragrance.net "plugs" he's been doing has really ruined it for me. Although, from what I can tell, he's still pretty objective with his reviews, but you can never know for sure...

All in all, the more reviewers the better. So Kudos to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius32 View Post
    I don't see it. We maybe have a different understanding of the term, but he's far from it by my definition. If you want to see "metro", check out Marc's reviews (who is actually my favorite reviewer, along with Tyler).

I used to like Tim, but the recent Fragrance.net "plugs" he's been doing has really ruined it for me. Although, from what I can tell, he's still pretty objective with his reviews, but you can never know for sure...

All in all, the more reviewers the better. So Kudos to you all.
    I agree that his recent "promotions" on behalf of Fragrance.net is a little "sell out" in my book. That's why i prefer his 1st 10 reviews or so before the the discount codes. Those reviews seem more honest.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by djobeat View Post
    I have nothing against Tim at all, and I kind of agree with "likeable character" that Larwiz mentioned, in fact I watched many of his videos. The only thing is, I can't stand his metro-ness. Not just him, But I can't stand metrosexual guy in general. I totally yucked when I see one. But then again, Tim probably yucked when he sees a guy like me lol. I have a couple of friends that have that metro vibe, and I always feel disgusted sometimes, I don't hate them though . So yeah, Kudos to Tim.
    Haha I didn't think anyone used the word metrosexual anymore.

I just watched couple of his rewiew , not that bad people , I have respect to his will to help others , his rewiew may not be perfect but they are realy inspired ....

Tim is alright for a young man / teen male first stepping out into the fragrance world -

Unfortunately, I am too savvy in knowledge of fragrance and at times cringe at his reviews in the mispronunciation of words and wrong information given.

But then again I am not in his age bracket - and feel his video are not indented for my audience.
    Last edited by scentimus; 13th December 2009 at 09:56 PM.

I like Tim as a reviewer, but he should stop doing reviews for niche fragrances and focus more on mature oriented fragrances.

Another thing is that everytime he mentions fragrance.net with his TIM9 coupon, I feel it has no use because I mean I don't know what's the point of 10% discount when we have basenotes 15% coupon which he doesn't even mention, so I don't think he's being loyal to us at all

But at least he's honest about fragrances he dislikes, he has reviews on them.

So I think Tim's reviews are for a 16-25 year olds in category audience which is ok, I am 28 myself and still watch his videos from time to time but not anything I would buy because most fragrances he covers are for high schoolers or mid level college students.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I like Tim as a reviewer, but he should stop doing reviews for niche fragrances and focus more on mature oriented fragrances.

Another thing is that everytime he mentions fragrance.net with his TIM9 coupon, I feel it has no use because I mean I don't know what's the point of 10% discount when we have basenotes 15% coupon which he doesn't even mention, so I don't think he's being loyal to us at all

But at least he's honest about fragrances he dislikes, he has reviews on them.

So I think Tim's reviews are for a 16-25 year olds in category audience which is ok, I am 28 myself and still watch his videos from time to time but not anything I would buy because most fragrances he covers are for high schoolers or mid level college students.
    I don't think he's ever even mentioned a niche fragrance? Are you sure we're all talking about the same person?

dont be haters..

I can't criticize a guy who does whatever they do on youtube with the passion he has, (outside of hurting anyone)

One day I just randomly went on youtube in the hopes someone actually did video cologne reviews, I youtubed "cologne reviews" and bam tswetcoff pops up with a review on Aqua Di Gio. I was like oh wow they do exist! I clicked and was thrown off a little bit considering how Tim actually reviews his fragrances. Yeah the videos drag, but I managed to watch the entire thing and I can honestly say I now had a different aspect on ADG. I then continued watching his videos and got the flow of his work. Before you know it, I'm checking every couple of days to see if he has put out a new review!

I'll be honest with you all and with Tim, if your reading, that the videos are not top notch and I think we should all realize after 70+ uploaded videos, they are not suppose to be. Master-Classter hit it on the head on tips Tim should take in consideration. Hell, I would be reading footnotes off my screen too haha! The mess ups are a little awkward but we're all not all professional video editors. If he is reading off someone elses review he should at least give that person credit.

As Tim stated in one of his reviews about this thread, he's doing this all because he likes to. If he's getting paid now, so what? It isn't hurting us not one bit. If he is getting paid I couldn't imagine it being anymore than a penny a view (I know of someone in real life who does make-up tutorials and gets paid that). We are not forced to watch his videos... Besides I don't think any company would pay someone only getting on the average of 1500 give or take views per video LOL.

I think the reason why Tim chooses the colognes he does for his reviews is because, well, his age and given situation! He's a young guy with little money and he spends what he can on his hobby. If I remember correctly he's only a little bit older than I am and I'm 20. He has a young male's perspective on colognes so that's what we're going to get in his videos. I think I can relate to him because I'm in his age group and I'm fond of probably half the stuff he reviews. I also think a lot of us BNers do not care for his reviews because I noticed many of us like Creed, Guerlain, Cartier, so on and so forth, and he rarely reviews anything of the sort. Tim did do Guerlain Homme but probably because it's kind of mainstream?

Like some of us have said before, It takes balls to upload videos to youtube anyway, and for a buff guy to be doing cologne reviews, he's got the biggest huevos of us all HAHA! Tim, keep doing what you do, because even if you inspire just a handful of people, at least your reaching out to someone.

BTW Robes08 (youtube name) is pretty good too. Kudos to him!
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    I have a harder time choosing my cologne more than choosing the clothes I'm going to wear.

I've just lost about a hour on Tim's reviews.
    I'm trying to come up with gift ideas for a guy. He's 27, but frankly, still behaves as if he's 21. He likes Acqua di Gio, so I got him that for his birthday but I don't really care for it. Not to mention, I suspect that aquatics aren't the best fit for his particular chemistry. If it were up to me, I get him the classic Gianfranco Ferre, but he may not go for that type fragrance- especially given that when it comes to people who aren't into fragrance, brand familiarity is a big part of the allure, or luxury of it. So, I figure through Tim's reviews (which do seem aimed at a younger audience, as well the average consumer-rather than fragrance enthusiast) , I might stumble upon something we can both be happy with.

With the deodorant reviews...I was thinking, "No way! They are totally strong. They *will* clash!" I guess that just depends on how fanatical you are. I'm fanatical enough that I use an unscented crystal stick, as well as fragrance-free lotion (unless I'm blending/layering), soap (two brands- one of which *is* still noticeable scented, and so worn with florals), and laundry detergent.

I was happy to see that Banana Republic's Slate was reviewed, as it was one of the fragrances I was reading up on and had in mind!
    Last edited by leffleur; 14th December 2009 at 02:22 AM.

Robes08 (Marc) is the best Youtube reviewer of colognes.

I only came across him a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for a Prada Pour Homme review but since then I've been watching one or two reviews each day catching up and he's the guy I've learnt a lot from regarding fragrances. Each and every one of his reviews I've watched have been equally superb. The structure of his video's are brilliant, his own personal-self makes me want to watch his video's more than any other cologne Youtube reviewer and he's really the guy that has started for my passion for fragrances ... and for a Laker fan, he seems like a decent guy haha.

I also checked out his blog earlier and he says he is coming back to Canada this week which will mean we'll get to see more of his reviews and videos.
    Last edited by Vojskovođa; 14th December 2009 at 02:46 AM.