Code of Conduct

Default New Guerlain Bois(e) Torride

http://savvythinker.com/2009/07/05/o...boise-torride/

This is part of the L'art et la Matiere line (according to Perfume Shrine, and is coming this October.

The notes are:
    top: bergamot, tangerine, pink berries
    middle: marshmallow harmony, orange blossom, jasmine
    base: patchouli, white musk, cedar

Marshmallow?! Hmmm...interesting. From the notes, it sounds a bit chypre-ish (which is always a good thing )

And they don't know for sure if it's Boise or Bois.

Default Re: New Guerlain Bois(e) Torride

I must admit I like everything in the L'art et la Matiere line - particularly Bois d'Armenie. I thought each scent in the line is supposed to be centered on one note/material....which one is this?

Bois Torride translates to torrid wood, so what kind of wood can be classified as "torrid"? Torrid gives off the suggestion of something scorching and hot, or deep and passionate. The only wood present in the notes is cedar, and I don't usually associate "hot" with cedar; it has somewhat of a cooling effect (think SL's Bois'es). But lord knows, how this fragrance will turn out. We just have to wait and see.

Will pass on this when it arrives as I have with the others in this line

Pink berries? Marshmallow harmony?

Bleh! I still REALLY want to try this anyway!

Sounds like another ultra-sweet Guerlain offering à la Petite Robe Noir. We'll see, won't we?

Dependent

Thanks for sharing! does sound like a fruity and sweet one just looking at notes, but I will definitely want to try it, im quite the sucker for fruity and sweet sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Bois Torride translates to torrid wood, so what kind of wood can be classified as "torrid"? Torrid gives off the suggestion of something scorching and hot, or deep and passionate.
    Oh my. I think I just figured out the meaning of the name, then...

Blog Entries

Bois Torride translates to torrid wood, so what kind of wood can be classified as "torrid"?
    I've gotcher torrid wood right here...

No, but seriously - those notes sound just awful.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

It will be the fourth release in the "Les Elixirs Charnels" range, and not one of the "L'art et la Matiere" range. So it is not focusing on just the one note.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 26th August 2009 at 03:01 AM.

I am liking the sound of that tangerine "top". I'm generally not too keen on citrus (and especially majorly hesperidic frags). But when it comes to Tangerine, on the other hand, inexplicably I'm just mad for it. ...

Somebody seems to have likened it to "Orange-Coolaid" (eeew! ) ... So maybe that could mean that the tangerine will be used with a heavy hand ??? That would make me happy ! ... (Unfortunately it is also gone in minutes usually).
    And I am really not a fan of White Musk. (It's usually more like hairspray on me) ... I hope they have equally pumped up the Patchouli, which might help a wee bit on the dreaded White Musk front. ...
    With these two things, I might just find it interesting enough. ...
    And with that "marshmallow", I think we can be assured that it's probably gonna be sweet sweet sweet too !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Oh my. I think I just figured out the meaning of the name, then...
    LLLLL OOOOO LLLLL

Oh, my torrid wood.

The Guerlain Boutique in the Boston Saks has it in and it is one of the things I am looking forward to sniffing this weekend at the Basenotes Meet-Up.
    I'll report back after Saturday.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LLLLL OOOOO LLLLL

Oh, my torrid wood.
    LOL oh my

Marshmallow? Seriously Guerlain? Jeesh.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Marshmallow? I'm hoping this is the flower, not the sticky sugar/gelatine concoction we toast on the end of sticks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    Marshmallow? I'm hoping this is the flower, not the sticky sugar/gelatine concoction we toast on the end of sticks.
    Well, after Little Black Robitussin, we can't be too careful!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    The Guerlain Boutique in the Boston Saks has it in and it is one of the things I am looking forward to sniffing this weekend at the Basenotes Meet-Up.
    I'll report back after Saturday.
    Seriously, this will be a great opportunity, and I'm looking forward to hearing what you think. Maybe you can tweet your first impressions.

The Boston meet-up sounds fabulous, and I'm officially jealous as hell. C'est la vie! And bon parfum!

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath there ! ...
    It's apparently quite sweet, so it's bound to be the confectionary rather than the flower. (I think when it's the flower, they are more likely to call it just "Mallow", I think ???).

And, with it apparently being "to Orange" what -La Petite Robe Noire- was "to Cherry". ... I'm expecting much "end of your stick" marshmallow marshmallow !!!

see this link for a review of Boisé Torride
    http://graindemusc.blogspot.com/2009...xir-boise.html

Basenotes Institution

I smelled this yesterday, at Sak's (Boston) - the SA (Joe) said he was looking forward to hosting the BN'rs on Sat. with Mari Lynn (whom Ray & I met in NY at Bergdorf when we were there last week). The scent is VERY sweet, reminding me of M by Mariah Carey or some hybrid thereof. It belongs in the Elixirs Charnel line, since all of these are quasi-gourmands in a style that is not my favorite for Guerlain. The teens and floral gourmand lovers will be happy. Me? I'm disappointed and my teeth ache. (sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I smelled this yesterday, at Sak's (Boston) - the SA (Joe) said he was looking forward to hosting the BN'rs on Sat. with Mari Lynn (whom Ray & I met in NY at Bergdorf when we were there last week). The scent is VERY sweet, reminding me of M by Mariah Carey or some hybrid thereof. It belongs in the Elixirs Charnel line, since all of these are quasi-gourmands in a style that is not my favorite for Guerlain. The teens and floral gourmand lovers will be happy. Me? I'm disappointed and my teeth ache. (sigh)

Mike ... Is there absolutely no redeeming quality to "Torride" ??? ... Is it really just a supersweet nothing ??? (That awful ???) ...
    I mean, I agree with you that the whole E.Charnels line was a little weak, especially coming from Guerlain ... (But I did not actually mind Gourmand Coquin tooo much ... It had some redeeming qualities, I thought !).

And ... does it smell marshmallow-y ??? (Is that where the sweetness is coming from, by any chance ??)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Me? I'm disappointed and my teeth ache. (sigh)
    LOL (Not laughing at your pain, mind you! )

Thanks for the review link, germanomio. I don't know - boozy wood and Angel references would certainly interest me, in an A*men flanker sort of way, but the very word "fruitchouli" sends me running for the hills! Still, I'm teetering on the edge of becoming something of a Thierry Wasser follower, since I love two of his scents deeply, so I will definitely take a very curious sniff.

Here I plagerize

Luxurious collection Elixir Charnel by the house of Guerlain adds the fourth fragrance to its offer from October 2009. After Chypre Fatal, Gourmand Coquin and Oriental Brulant, they will introduce Le Boise Torride, a feminine fragrance enhanced with masculine nuances of patchouli and cedar.
    Composition of this new edition Guerlain Elixir Charnel Le Boise Torride opens with a citrusy wave of bergamot and tangerine with red berries zest. A heart of the composition is characterized with elegant aromas of jasmine and orange blossom, along with airy nuances of sensual white musk. Base notes offer a union of patchouli and cedar which make a finish with courageous warm notes contributing to masculine character.

Flacon of Le Boise Torride has the same design as previous three editions from Guerlain's collection Elixir Charnel, and it is available as 75ml edp. The nose behind this fragrance is Christine Nagel.

end of plagerism

I own this now and found it to be superior to the other charnal fragrance. My husband and I tested them on the strips blindly and we both chose this one. I have had it for about three days and will have a further review as time goes by.

WOW! The world needs another BOIS. The niche world has become so creatively proliferated with scent names.
    Gimme another Bois and I'll give you a bowl of vomit!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Marshmallow?! Hmmm...interesting.
    I hope it doesn't clog the sprayer

Has anyone besides me made a connection between BT & LDDM ?
    To my nose it's a slight connection but enough to plug them together.

Quote Originally Posted by 21irene View Post
    I own this now and found it to be superior to the other charnal fragrance. My husband and I tested them on the strips blindly and we both chose this one. I have had it for about three days and will have a further review as time goes by.
    My favorite from the Charnal collection as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    WOW! The world needs another BOIS. The niche world has become so creatively proliferated with scent names.
    Gimme another Bois and I'll give you a bowl of vomit!
    I don't consider Guerlain niche, personally.