Code of Conduct

Thread: Connecticut

Default Connecticut

Ok Guys, I know us CT BNers exist out there. Any hidden gems, anything that carries some good frags. All I know of is the Yale Center for British Arts that carries Penhaligons (not sure what else), there's a Sak's I believe in Greenwich that may carry the Chanel Exclusifs (again not sure). Anything else?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Default Re: Connecticut

This post has been edited to reflect current conditions as of 4/11

Yale Center for British Art doesn't carry any other fragrances-- only Penhaligon's. And not all of them. They don't have Sartorial-- for that, go to Saks in Greenwich.

Saks 5th Avenue Greenwich for Creed, Jo Malone, Bond No. 9, a very few of Annick Goutal. They no longer have Armani Privé. They have a number of the Penhaligon's in 100 ml sizes and they carry Chantecaille, Kiehl's and some others.
    Edit: Current staff at Saks in Greenwich do not allow the decanting of samples any longer, but if they have manufacturer samples they will give you one or two.

Dovecote in Westport (on Rt. 1, opposite the YMCA) now only carries Kai.

Parfumerie Douglas is now Bluemercury2 but the stock (for now) is much the same as it was when owned by Parfumerie Douglas. They do not allow you to decant samples, unlike Bluemercury across the street.

L'Occitane at West Farms mall in Farmington, and on Main Street Westport and Greenwich Avenue Greenwich and in the same plaza as L.L. Bean store (Windsor?) The store in WestFarms closed.

Achorn's Pharmacy on Main Street, Westport, has some things one doesn't find everywhere, like Canoe, and Taylor of London's Worth a browse if you are in the area.
    EDIT: As of May 2012 Achorn's Pharmacy is moving to a site on the Post Road.

Pacifica fragrances at Whole Foods (Westport and Greenwich; West Hartford store no longer carries them) and the museum store of the Peabody. Dava in Hamden has candles.

Sephora in various locations including Greenwich Avenue Greenwich, Danbury Fair mall and West Farms Mall.

Nordstrom (at the mall in Farmington) has Geir Ness, some Annick Goutals (butrarely the newest ones). They also carry Laura Mercier. No longer carry Armani Privé, but now they have a Jo Malone boutique in-store.

Recently we visited a shop that had some perfumes I'd never seen or smelled before: Parfums du Jour at Blue Back Square, West Hartford. She has Annick Goutals also. Google Blue Back Square for a map of the shops there and contact information. EDIT 11/26/11: I no longer see this store in the directory of Blue Back Square and have not been able to make phone contact. Assume the store is closed unless you can make contact.

Villa Fleur --independent perfume shop just outside WalMart at Hamden Village Fair Shopping Center, Dixwell Avenue. Has full size bottles and minis (including, occasionally, hard to find ones)

Flutterbye on the green in Guilford. Clothing, gifts, and a few scents including K. Hall and Pacifica.

Edit:The Bath Tub in Mystic has closed.

Edit: Foxglove in Madison, CT, is no more; there is now a cheese shop but no fragrances.[b]
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 13th May 2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: updated

I was waiting for you to pop your head in here Loretta! How the heck did you find out all of this stuff. It's a shame, I was in Westport the other day for an interview, I think it's the first time I've ever been in Westport, and I knew it had some fragrance stuff, but didn't know what or where. Darn!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

I updated the list. What can I say? I like to shop!

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Connecticut

Okay, fellow Connecticut sniffaholics, there is a newish shop in Westport (I didn't realize they've been there for a year, replacing the defunct JD Cosmetic Essentials.)

Located at 62 Main Street, it's bluemercury (see their website, bluemercury.com for information and store locator for other states; this Westport one is the only one in CT.) They carry an assortment of fragrances and cosmetics. Fragrances include an assortment by Creed, L'Artisan, Diptyque (especially candles), Aqua di Parma, Molton Brown, Hampton Sun, Tocca, Laura Mercier and Fresh and no doubt I've missed some.

The friendly manager kindly allowed us to make up our own samples (using the plastic atomizers identical to those used by Sephora, which we buy from Accessories for Fragrances.com.) I could happily have spent even more time in the store than I did, but I had to take pity on my hubby who by then was getting restless to move on. But I definitely plan to return.

EDIT: Bluemercury now carries Jo Malone but they did not have the limited edition one, Plum Blossom, and have not had the London Blooms collection, either.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 13th May 2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: update about Bluemercury

Blog Entries

I visited Whole Foods in Milford today (on Rt. 1) and found they carry both spray and body cream of some Pacifica scents including the harder-to-find French Lilac. I appreciate this, as my other source for Pacifica sprays stopped selling them recently, and some of the other Whole Foods we've visited no longer carry the sprays.

They also had the Maroma perfume line-- boxed 10 ml. splash bottles of oil-based perfume for $13.99. They had: Night Jasmine, Rose Attar, Patchouli, Sweet Sandal, Vanilla, and Vetyver but not the other 3 scents (Amber, Oceans and Desert Spring.)

Testers are available for all these including the creams.

Blog Entries

A number of the Tokyo Milk line of perfumes are available in Mystic at The Velvet Swan, Too. 13 West Main Street . This is in the downtown area just past the drawbridge. Phone (860) 536-3842.

There are tester bottles but no paper strips. (Fortunately I bring my own paper strips everywhere and was able to test them all.)

Just south west of Greenwich, CT in White Plains, NY is a place called Eau de Luxe. Carries a wide range of stuff from commercial to niche - Amouage, Creed, Serge Lutens, by Kilians, etc...- in store and specializes in hard to find items. Prices are about the same or better than many of the online sites (also currently running a "text to phone promotions" for a 20% discount) and often supplies to Fragrancenet, fragrancex, beautyencounter,etc... The owner is very personable and a pleasure to deal with. No web site yet but may be reached by e-mail at eaudeluxe@gmail.com or by phone at 914-328-3358. The street address is 188 Martine Ave., White Plains, NY 10601.

Blog Entries

Thanks for this information, rnovak-- looks like a nice place to take a ride to, one of these Saturdays.

No problem 30 Roses. Although I think Eau de Luxe has the most to offer I'd be remiss if I didn't add some of the other fragrance options with-in walking distance from there. A two minute walk to the left takes you to Macy's in the Galleria shoping center. Two minutes to the right on the second floor of the City Center is a Nordstrom's Rack which typically has a decent selection of fragrances at a cost less than retail but more slightly more than what you'd see at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Maybe a ten minute walk to the right is the Westchester Mall. There you'll find a Nordstrom's, Neiman Marcus, Sephora, a lot of high end shops that sell their own lines (think Coach, Kenneth Cole, Gucci, Armani, etc...), and a discount place, Perfumania or something like that, on the third floor. I'm sure there's more in the area but I'm kind of new to the fragrance thing and just started exploring myself. I do intent to journey north to some os the places indicated above.

Maybe not appropriate for this thread, but can someone explain what the stars underneath member names indicate?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the new info of places to shop!

I think the number of stars increase as you make more posts.

Blog Entries

We stopped in at Nordstom today at West Farms Mall and guess what? They now have a very nice Jo Malone boutique there!

Edit: Matt is the manager of the Jo Malone boutique and is very helpful.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 16th March 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Blog Entries

I found a new (to me, anyway) shop that sells perfumes: Petite Boutique on Rt. 10 in Avon. (phone 860-678-1922)
    This is located in the lower level of the shops (just underneath Carmen Anthony Fishhouse.)

Map link:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CC4QnwIwAw

This was out last stop before hurrying home and initially I didn't think it was a perfume shop at all-- with the name it sounded more like a children's clothing store.

The owner, Susan, is a friendly lady who loves perfumes as much as we do! She has brands one does not see everywhere, including a whole wall of Coté Bastide edt and bath products: Rose, Fleur d'Oranger, Lilas, Linden, Mimosa, Pamplemousse and a huge bottle of Iris edt.

There are no testers but you can have a whiff from the opened splash bottles (the Coté Bastide are splash)-- well, she did let me test the Lilas, which I then bought, as it was so nice (100ml, $35-- great price, who can complain??)

She also carries (some) Thymes and a number of lavender products. Also some Provence Santé edt (Vetyver, Rose) Shelly Kyle, some Zents, certain Comptoire Sud Pacifique (50% off), Lafco soaps and Gianna Rose Gardenia. She plans to get Crazy Sticks (also sold at Sephora, solid roll-up perfume sticks.)

Edit: She now has a small line of the Crazy Sticks solid fragrances in a push-up tube.

In addition there are a number of handmade jewelry items.

Next time there I plan to do more sniffing!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 6th November 2011 at 12:45 AM.

Blog Entries

I edited post 2 heavily.

Blog Entries

Today we visited Soft Surroundings, which is just opposite the L.L. Bean store in South Windsor (located in The Promenade Shops at Evergreen Walk, just past the entrance to Buckland Hills mall, but on the other side of the street.)

I had a nice chat about perfumes with sales associate Michelle, who used to work at Barneys in Boston and who shops at Aedes herself!

Soft Surroundings carries several perfumes lines I have not seen elsewhere:

• Life Therapy
    • Kitson in L.A.
    • Mélange Solid Perfumes
    , which cost $15.95 and come in easy-to-carry little jars.

Mélange Scents include:
    Frangipani
    Pomegranate & Grapefruit
    Plum Blossom
    White Tea and Ginger
    (I liked this one best)
    Japanese Tea Rose
    Vanilla Orchid
    Mimosa Blossom & Citron
    Iris
    Fig & Pear

and a Tobacco Leaf that was out of stock.

I just checked; Mélange has a website: http://www.melangeperfume.com/

Soft Surroundings also carries Tocca fragrances, which are more common.

This is not primarily a perfume shop-- it's clothing, makeup and more.

Link to store information:
    http://www.thepromenadeshopsatevergr...5df3d132b6c441

Blog Entries

Edit: as of our visit on 5/12/12, Dovecote no longer has any CB I Hate Perfume fragrances.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Dovecote
    in Westport now carries a number of CB I Hate Perfume water based fragrances, with testers.

They carry:

Under the Arbor (I didn't like this-- a bit strident)
    In the Library (did not remind me of old books; not sure what I was expecting! May retest.)
    Greenbriar (I had the same reaction to this as to Under the Arbor)
    To See a Flower (rather like a flower shop smell) Edit 8/6: My daughter found this grassy.
    Memory of Kindness (tomato leaves/stems)
    Russian Caravan Tea (light and a bit lemony, pleasant but fades fast)
    Winter 1972- (very light, didn't make much of an impression on us)

and the following accords:

Smoky Tobacco (somewhat reminiscent of Ambre Narguilé; my husband liked it)
    Burnt Wood "Had a spicy note on paper but musty on my skin" (so says my hubby)
    Soaked Earth (dirt! Have you tasted Harry Potter Dirt flavored jelly beans? Like that. Also a bit like beets, or what the British call beet root)
    North Atlantic (something about this reminded me of the top notes of Un Jardin Sur le Toit)
    Crushed Fig Leaf (pretty much what you would expect; simple and pleasant fig leaf)
    Beautiful Laundrette what you'd expect; laundry detergent smell
    Grass (realistic and very light; faded fast)
    Wildflower Honey (a bit urinous)
    White Ginger Flower (pleasant, later develops into a carnation/clove but never becomes loud-- could easily be worn as a finished scent)
    Old Leather hubby says it was a bit sour and pungent. Edit 8/6: Today he decided he liked this and wants to experiment with layering it.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 13th May 2012 at 05:37 AM.

Blog Entries

I don't know how I forgot to mention Anthropologie on Route 1 in Westport.

This Anthropologie store carries the new Ineke "Floral Curiosities", as well as 4 D.S. & Durga fragrances and others.
    Sales assisitant Stephanie was very helpful!

check out instyle fragrances at Crystal Mall in Waterford, CT

Blog Entries

Greenwich Pharmacy, 116 Greenwich Avenue, opened in November last year.

They have:
    • Some MPG fragrances: Bahiana, Fraiche Passiflore and Rose Muskissime (with testers)
    • Rance Triomphe and Le Vainqueur
    • Floris Lily of the Valley and Santal
    • Casswell-Massey products
    • Some Crabtree & Evelyn products
    • Bronnley soaps

In addition, while visiting Saks on the same street, we saw a much larger display of Penhaligon's fragrances than at our last visit. These are all in the 100ml size.

Some of the less commonly found ones are there, with testers, including Juniper Sling, Sartorial, Orange Blossom, Eau de Cologne, Extract of Limes, Hammam Bouquet, Eau de Verveine, Gardenia, Jubilee as well as the more commonly available scents.

Blog Entries

There is now an Anthropologie store at West Farms Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by rnovak View Post
    Just south west of Greenwich, CT in White Plains, NY is a place called Eau de Luxe. Carries a wide range of stuff from commercial to niche - Amouage, Creed, Serge Lutens, by Kilians, etc...- in store and specializes in hard to find items. Prices are about the same or better than many of the online sites (also currently running a "text to phone promotions" for a 20% discount) and often supplies to Fragrancenet, fragrancex, beautyencounter,etc... The owner is very personable and a pleasure to deal with. No web site yet but may be reached by e-mail at eaudeluxe@gmail.com or by phone at 914-328-3358. The street address is 188 Martine Ave., White Plains, NY 10601.
    Not sure if they moved or closed altogether, but I walked by there and this storefront is empty as of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Not sure if they moved or closed altogether, but I walked by there and this storefront is empty as of today.
    Has anyone been here recently? Their website appears to still be up and operational. If it's there I'd be very interested in checking it out.

- - - Updated - - -

And if not, any other gems in surrounding locations such as Eau de Lux? It's a shame if it's closed, that looked like a find!

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Has anyone been here recently? Their website appears to still be up and operational. If it's there I'd be very interested in checking it out.

- - - Updated - - -

And if not, any other gems in surrounding locations such as Eau de Lux? It's a shame if it's closed, that looked like a find!
    Sadly Eau de Luxe did close. The owner said he was planning on re-opening to a new location nearby but, to my knowledge, that has yet to happen.http://www.basenotes.net/vbimages/smilies/yabb/cry.gif

Want to check out Anthropologie in Westport next week...does anyone know if they have samples or only testers?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krazyquilter View Post
    Want to check out Anthropologie in Westport next week...does anyone know if they have samples or only testers?
    Sorry I missed seeing this before.

I've never seen samples at Anthropologie-- only testers.

Also, a new Lush store has opened at West Farms Mall, on the first level where Gloria's coffee shop used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Sorry I missed seeing this before.

I've never seen samples at Anthropologie-- only testers.

Also, a new Lush store has opened at West Farms Mall, on the first level where Gloria's coffee shop used to be.
    Thanks for info....and not too late, since I haven't even made it over to Anthropologie yet....life got in the way!
    Also, some big news for Stamford.....Saks just announced that they are leaving the Town Center as of early next year,
    they have been an anchor store there since the mall opened in '83.

Blog Entries

Very sorry to read that Saks is leaving Stamford.

But Saks in Greenwich is staying open, I learned today 4/27.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 28th April 2013 at 01:14 AM.

Blog Entries

A Kiehl's store has opened at West Farms Mall.

Blog Entries

A L'Occitane employee in Greenwich told me today that L'Occitane is going to reopen a store at West Farms Mall. (I don't know when.)

Edit: It's been open for some months now.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 11th July 2014 at 08:04 PM.

There's also L'Occitane, Sephora and Anthropologie at Evergreen Walk in South Windsor.

And Wild Wisteria in Durham, CT (Rte 17/Main Street), which carries "gift shop" bath & body products and lots of Tokyo Milk perfumes, with testers.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-...40001836021721
    The Glastonbury Whole Foods carries Nemat oils, Love and Toast, Pacifica and Provence Santé, as well as great soaps and bath salts.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh -- the Glastonbury Wholefoods also has Soap & Paper Factory Perfumes. And Anthropologie carries that line as well.

http://www.soapandpaperfactory.com/
    Don't ask me to scrute the geranium. Some things are inscrutable.

Blog Entries

I just got news in an email from Hermès that they have opened a store in Greenwich. The address is 289 Greenwich Avenue which is in the block south of Saks.

Blog Entries

Time for a little update! In Westport there is now a Diptyque store at 47 Main Street, next door to the L'Occitane shop.