Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances like Mouchoir de Monsieur

I recently received several guerlain samples from a generous member here. I was particularly interested in the Mouchoir de Monsieur. I adore the dry down, but the animal and almost fecal opening is difficult to get past. Are there any other fragrances like MdM exuding the sophistication of the 19th Century aristocracy and gentlemanly exploits? I also tried Jicky and found it even more obscene, but yet again with a wonderful drydown. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Fragrances like Mouchoir de Monsieur

Eau de Hermes is the first one that pops into mind, as does Jicky. Well anything civet-laden really, and citrusy or herbal.

Vintage Habit Rouge EdC is quite dandified. You may also want to try 1876 by Histoires de Parfums.

I would suggest a few from D'Orsay, particularly Etiquette Bleue (1908), Chevalier d'Orsay (1911), Arôme 3 (1943), and if a little more adventurous, Le Dandy (1923). I believe all of them were reintroduced in the mid 1990's.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Shalimar is the closest to MdM/Jicky without civet. Although there's no vanilla, Tiffany for Men exudes class. Turin wrote that Egoiste is like MdM (I don't agree).

Maybe some vintage Creeds, maybe some other niche scents, like the ones by Penhaligon's, Knize or Serge Lutens.

Zizanie reminds me of Mouchior.

And it doesn't have the disgusting civet opening and it lasts much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Are there any other fragrances like MdM exuding the sophistication of the 19th Century aristocracy and gentlemanly exploits?
    May I suggest:

Cuir de Russie, Chanel
    Arome 3 , D´Orsay
    Knize Ten
    Après l´ondée, Guerlain
    Sissinghurst, Anglia Perfumery (formerly known as Sandringham, Crown Perfumery)
    Tabac Blond, Caron (preferably vintage)
    Zizanie, Fragonard

Ghenghis Khan by Marc de la Morandiere

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Maybe some vintage Creeds, maybe some other niche scents, like the ones by Penhaligon's, Knize or Serge Lutens.
    What is a 'vintage Creed'? LOL

In terms of finding something like MdM...

A really good lavender-vanilla is By Killian A Taste of Heaven. The lavender is not as smooth as in Jicky, and I don't recall much (if any) citrus, but I don't smell any civet in it. I think ATOH is very similar to Caron Pour Un Homme, but PUH is really harsh to my nose, and has an ammonia smell to it. ATOH is much more wearable, for me, anyway.

I agree with Habit Rouge and Shalimar. Both have citrus and vanilla, which MdM has too. In HR, I'd recommend the EDC. Shalimar is very different in each concentration. I personally like the leathery notes of the extrait and EDP, but if you don't like civet, I'm not sure you'll like Shalimar. It contains pretty much all the animalics--civet, castoreum, musk.

Also Guerlain's Eau de Cologne du Coq might be good--it is a light citrus and lavender, but not long lasting.
    Last edited by Asha; 12th July 2009 at 04:04 PM.

If you can still find a bottle of Instituit Tres Bien's Cologne a la Russe you will be in dandified heaven.

Blog Entries

Vintage Shalimar is along the same lines as MdM and Jicky, but is less dirty. Might be something of interest to you.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    What is a 'vintage Creed'?.......
    Perhaps the pre-Milliseme Creeds. The slightly civet-y 1949 Ambre Canelle is vintage enough. So is the 1950 Orange Spice.

Hermes Bel Ami, especially the pre-formulated version will also be sample-worthy,
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Off-Scenter

I second the recommendation of Pour un Homme. I'd also try Habit Rouge.

I'm thinking Habit Rouge EDT (rather than EDC); Shalimar; Jicky. There are some elements in Extra Vielle - a little dirtier than a typical classic cologne which I think typifies MdM.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Eau de Hermes is the first one that pops into mind, as does Jicky. Well anything civet-laden really, and citrusy or herbal.
    I agree.

I wore Eau de Hermes recently, and made the connection to Mouchoir de Monsieur while I was wearing it also.

Both are fantastic.

canoe by dana, once a very fine fragrance, now a cheap knock off of MdM-- vintage canoe by dana is the best: very easy to find vintage bottles online: opt for the "extra rich" concentration and it's MdM without the poopyness that you find questionable: you'll love it and nobody will ever know what you're wearing. You can also try English Fern by Penhaligon--a bit greener with more oakmoss and slighly heavy on the edges--but worth a try: Your best bet--e-bay--canoe by dana--extra rich.

Which formulation of Jicky did you try? EDP is very civet heavy, but Jicky EDT has very little of the Civet note. Otherwise, how about Caron pour un homme?

Oh, Dear! Caron pour un homme is like a cup cake next to MdM's lamp chop. I don't quite get how all of you keep harping on about PuH: It's sort of a big nothing next to J and MdM: suitable for a 16 year old or a woman by today's standards. No and No. It matters little which concentration you've tried of Jicky--I use all of them regularly and while they're all different, none of them could ever "breathe the pantry air" of PuH. PuH I used for years and still have HUGE bottles of it unopened--they made a 500ml and a 1000ml--I used to go through them like mineral water when i was in college: In France, in school, one bathes by pouring one's eau de toilette on a sea sponge and rubbing the body vigorously with it, thus: "eau de toilette," = "water for washing." Very effective, for France in the late 70's. Forget about PuH: if you're playing with the big boys now, it's below you.

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    Oh, Dear! Caron pour un homme is like a cup cake next to MdM's lamp chop. I don't quite get how all of you keep harping on about PuH: It's sort of a big nothing next to J and MdM: suitable for a 16 year old or a woman by today's standards. No and No. It matters little which concentration you've tried of Jicky--I use all of them regularly and while they're all different, none of them could ever "breathe the pantry air" of PuH. PuH I used for years and still have HUGE bottles of it unopened--they made a 500ml and a 1000ml--I used to go through them like mineral water when i was in college: In France, in school, one bathes by pouring one's eau de toilette on a sea sponge and rubbing the body vigorously with it, thus: "eau de toilette," = "water for washing." Very effective, for France in the late 70's. Forget about PuH: if you're playing with the big boys now, it's below you.
    Some of us are common folk and have little hope of playing with big boys or getting a "lamp [sic] chop".

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    In terms of finding something like MdM...

A really good lavender-vanilla is By Killian A Taste of Heaven. The lavender is not as smooth as in Jicky, and I don't recall much (if any) citrus, but I don't smell any civet in it. I think ATOH is very similar to Caron Pour Un Homme, but PUH is really harsh to my nose, and has an ammonia smell to it. ATOH is much more wearable, for me, anyway.

I agree with Habit Rouge and Shalimar. Both have citrus and vanilla, which MdM has too. In HR, I'd recommend the EDC. Shalimar is very different in each concentration. I personally like the leathery notes of the extrait and EDP, but if you don't like civet, I'm not sure you'll like Shalimar. It contains pretty much all the animalics--civet, castoreum, musk.

Also Guerlain's Eau de Cologne du Coq might be good--it is a light citrus and lavender, but not long lasting.
    For MdM, you just have to tolerate the civet opening.

For lavender/vanilla, try Histoires de Parfum's Casanova 1725. Very long-lasting.

http://www.beautycafe.com/1725_Casanova.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I would suggest a few from D'Orsay, particularly Etiquette Bleue (1908), Chevalier d'Orsay (1911), Arôme 3 (1943), and if a little more adventurous, Le Dandy (1923). I believe all of them were reintroduced in the mid 1990's.
    I agree that Etiquette Bleue is a nice hesperidic scent, one of D'Orsay's original scents, but no vanilla. Arome Trois is a nice lavender fougere, but no prounounced vanilla. (The "origins" of this scent being made by the Comte d'Orsay for his "English" mistress are sheer marketing spin. See "Perfume Presentations" by Ken Leach, and "Perfume Handbook," by Nigel Groom.)

In this respect, the Guerlains are unique. The only other recommendation I have is Caron's Pour Un Homme, with its lavender/vanilla.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Some of us are common folk and have little hope of playing with big boys or getting a "lamp [sic] chop".
    I'm so sorry, I just couldn't resist:

^^^

Everything is truly better with bacon.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Mon Dieu!

I thought he was asking for something similar to MdM without the civet note, it seemed like a logical suggestion to me.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 14th December 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Re: the harshness of Pour un Homme, I noticed something odd the other day with respect to way of applying it. I bought a splash bottle and decanted some of it in a small atomizer. When I pour from the bottle on my skin, it's less harsh initially than when I spray. The spray needs a minute or two to lose its harshness, and then the effect is the same as the splash application. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Mon Dieu!

I thought he was asking for something similar to MdM without the civet note, it seemed like a logical suggestion to me.
    You mean you were actually :gasp!: trying to help the OP and answer his question and not just trying to slap him across the face with a big Guerlain d*ck???

Mon Dieu indeed, sir!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Mon Dieu!

A completely logical suggestion, yes, I agree.

oh my good god stop it!!! You've caused me to piss my pants and I've already taken my shower this evening.

(but how in the hell did you find a picture of a 'bacon' lamp???)
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Actually, you know--all the insults and catty remarks--I'm thrilled with them now. Why? because they caused the "bacon lamp" to happen in England, and, by God, that has GOT to be a first. Who knew spelling "lamb chop" with a "p" by mistake could produce art? I'm honored. If the "Mon Dieu" gentleman is reading, your response was to the second half of a discussion: I suggested Canoe by Dana in "Extra Rich" formulation, long discontinued but very easily available on e-bay, as the closest thing I could think of to MdM without the fecal undertone. My comments about Pour un Homme de Caron were in response to his counter suggestion. Whomever it was that made the Bacon Lamp, Thank You. Brilliant.

xxxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 15th December 2010 at 06:18 AM.

I don't know who it was--i've never done this before--and probably won't be doing it again--but there was a maelstrom of reactions to several of the comments i posted last night--I was in shock: I don't know how this system works--and many of them were snarky and unkind and I can't imagine what it was that i could have said that would lead to that kind of fierce reaction. I'm a luddite and don't use the internet much--I'm a writer so I use word mostly. I'm sure it wasn't you--It's just that, when you're used to instructing people and are considered an expert in certain realms there is a tone that develops that, I suspect, comes off as arrogance to those reading it, but would pass perfectly were it heard in the spoken word. The whole thing just seems bizarre to me--that is--until I saw the "lamp chop," at which point, I considered all abusive reactions worthy of having produced groundbreaking art! I suppose i don't quite understand how people could be so critical, for instance, of my copious usage of perfume on a forum like this: In reality, I don't feel I over use--I just "use," and by that I mean on everything--and I come from a culture of perfume usage, so this kind of thing is normal for me. Anyway--if my comment "hit" you--I had no idea: I just imagined it was hitting everyone: again, at risk of being redundant--I am a novice at this online banter and have no idea how it works--so my apologies. Somehow, we made the "lamp chop" happen--so, you know, I'm proud! (should have written "mutton chop!"

If the "Mon Dieu" gentleman is reading, your response was to the second half of a discussion: I suggested Canoe by Dana in "Extra Rich" formulation, long discontinued but very easily available on e-bay, as the closest thing I could think of to MdM without the fecal undertone. My comments about Pour un Homme de Caron were in response to his counter suggestion.
    Actually you quoted my post suggesting Caron pour un homme and pretty much pierced my heart out. But I don't think I said anything back to you that was rude or catty, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. But bygones. Let's just move on OK?

I don't know who it was--i've never done this before--and probably won't be doing it again--but there was a maelstrom of reactions to several of the comments i posted last night--I was in shock: I don't know how this system works--and many of them were snarky and unkind and I can't imagine what it was that i could have said that would lead to that kind of fierce reaction. I'm a luddite and don't use the internet much--I'm a writer so I use word mostly. I'm sure it wasn't you--It's just that, when you're used to instructing people and are considered an expert in certain realms there is a tone that develops that, I suspect, comes off as arrogance to those reading it, but would pass perfectly were it heard in the spoken word. The whole thing just seems bizarre to me--that is--until I saw the "lamp chop," at which point, I considered all abusive reactions worthy of having produced groundbreaking art! I suppose i don't quite understand how people could be so critical, for instance, of my copious usage of perfume on a forum like this: In reality, I don't feel I over use--I just "use," and by that I mean on everything--and I come from a culture of perfume usage, so this kind of thing is normal for me. Anyway--if my comment "hit" you--I had no idea: I just imagined it was hitting everyone: again, at risk of being redundant--I am a novice at this online banter and have no idea how it works--so my apologies. Somehow, we made the "lamp chop" happen--so, you know, I'm proud! (should have written "mutton chop!"
    No worries. I'm glad that you are here. I'm sure you will be an asset. And over usage? No way! Not around here. Spray that perfume!!