Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Houbigant's Fougère Royale being re-released

According to the Houbigant SA at Bergdorf Goodman (who is actually the Houbigant SA from the Neiman Marcus in San Francisco on temporary reassignment), Fougère Royale is being re-released. At least in the beginning, it will be exclusive to the S.F. Neiman Marcus.

For those not in the know, Fougère Royale apparently came out in 1882 and defined the fougere genre. I was curious but didn't ask how in the world they could recreate a classic chypre with today's anti-oakmoss restrictions. Then again, I'm no expert and none of the reviews I've read actually mention moss, so maybe that's not an issue, or maybe it's not even technically a chypre...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Default Re: Houbigant's Fougère Royale being re-released

It is probably a fougere, rather than a chypre, judging from the name. Traditional fougere triad is lavender/aromatic herbs, tonka and oakmoss, if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by Asha; 12th July 2009 at 05:52 AM.

It's not a chypre at all. To be called a fougere, it only has to contain lavender and coumarin (tonka). The addition of herbs would make it an 'aromatic' fougere. I suppose a fougere could contain oakmoss, but they typically don't AFAIK.

Fougere Royale is historically important, but I wonder how faithful to the original a re-release F.R. would be...or how relevant it would be, now that the fougere playing field is plenty crowded.

Still, interesting news.

On a related note, while antique shopping a few months ago, I found this 100% intact store display of Houbigant Fougere Royale deodorant sticks dating from the 1940s or 1950s:

The seals are still good, and i popped one open and the fragrance is still there! The accord is unmistakeable, though the sticks have probably degraded over the past half century!
    Last edited by andylama; 13th July 2009 at 08:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Sounds like Andy gets to do the official comparison between the recreation and the original deoderant sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Fougere Royale is historically important, but I wonder how faithful to the original a re-release F.R. would be to the original...or how relevant it would be, now that the fougere playing field is plenty crowded.

The seals are still good, and i popped one open and the fragrance is still there! The accord is unmistakeable, though the sticks have probably degraded over the past half century!
    Beaut of a find, by the way. Where do you luck into new old stock like that? (Assuming that you will share your secrets with us . . . .)

Part of the problem is that "fougere" is just another word for "miscellaneous" these days. If it ain't aquatic and it ain't a gourmand, then they just call it a fougere.

Anyway, since you have smelled the original and i have not, can you comment upon whether Canoe is similar? That is the earliest fougere that I have been able to sample so far.

I have some Fougere Royale from the early 60's and it is the most amazing scent in my collection. The oakmoss in my opinion is an essential feature of an old-school fougere, giving a perky-earthy quality. The depth in this scent is astonishing! It is nature in a bottle.
    I am glad to hear it is being brought back. While I don't expect it will equal the original, I'll be interested and will buy a bottle if I come across one.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 13th July 2009 at 04:17 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

Great news.

Any idea why you posted this in the Female board?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Great news.

Any idea why you posted this in the Female board?
    I was wondering the same thing. FG was a masculine (but really its ok because they guys that know enough to care seem to keep an eye on this board)

I recently ordered a vintage sample so I'll be curious to compare.

To echo what others have said, Fougere Royale named the genre just as Chypre de Coty named its genre.

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    Sounds like Andy gets to do the official comparison between the recreation and the original deoderant sticks.
    Heh, well, I don't know how accurate a representation the deodorant sticks would be after FIFTY years. I mean the seals are airtight, but still. That said, the actual sticks still look usable...

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Beaut of a find, by the way. Where do you luck into new old stock like that? (Assuming that you will share your secrets with us . . . .)
    The secret is 70% Pure Chance, and the other 30% is not bothering with antique shops in big cities or overly touristy towns.

This gem came from a small town in southern Oregon...and that's all I'm sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Part of the problem is that "fougere" is just another word for "miscellaneous" these days. If it ain't aquatic and it ain't a gourmand, then they just call it a fougere.
    Ooh, I don't like that at all. That's simply wrong. That would be like calling all Japanese cars "Toyotas". Fougere is a very specific accord. I say: fight this wherever you find it! Educate the masses!

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Ooh, I don't like that at all. That's simply wrong. That would be like calling all Japanese cars "Toyotas". Fougere is a very specific accord. I say: fight this wherever you find it! Educate the masses!
    I agree 100% I know it's dorky/obsessive but it bother me when people grossly mislabel genres, especially chypres. People misuse the title 'chypre' all the time. It refers to a specific accord (now all but dead) and I'm sorry but without bergamot and oakmoss (and really labdanum and patchouli also) it's not a chypre. Plus, all chypres have a certain smell that is unique, but somehow people have taken to calling various light scents chypres that aren't.

Par for the course, I suppose. Bummer.

Anyone hear new news about this..? This was one of the more exciting stories of last year and I'd love to able to try this one.

Blog Entries

I've talked to the Houbagant SA at Neimans. They're still expecting it, but it keeps getting held up. Every time I go there, he catches me peeking at the downstairs perfume counter and he says "not yet..."

With all this build-up, I'll probably end up not liking it, but I do love that fern smell and want to give a test-ride to the original.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??