Code of Conduct

Default Uncomfortable wearing Hinoki

No offense but after a couple of wearings I think I've finally figured out why I am so sacred of HInoki.

Normally I am all about wood and incense, I've thoroughly enjoyed Kyoto and Sequoia from start to finish, you'd think Hinoki will be right up my alley.I thought so too, until last night when I got this chill down my spine as I wore it to sleep.

It was strangely unsettling to say the least, Hinoki first reminded me of the inside of a wooden drawer, of a dried-up branch fallen from a tree. Then the whole night I was wearing Hinoki, I felt like a dead man in a coffin.

The scent has no life in it, I mean, unlike Sequoia, you can say it's woody but it's full of life that I can literary feel the heat of freshly cut woods jumping off my skin, Kyoto is somewhat more sedative but there's still a hint of warmth accentuated by some flowery notes. With Hinoki, it's all about being locked down in a wooden log cabin with a dead man lying next to you. I am sorry I know it's morbid but I never thought I can be scared by a scent, which just goes to show how artistically abstract a perfume can be.

Voluer de Rose is scary too, but nowhere compared to Hinoki, I mean, I'd rather wander into a graveyard after storm than spend a night with the deceased.

Am I crazy?
    Last edited by CDG; 12th July 2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: controversial title revised

Default Re: Hinoki is the scent of a dead man

Yes, you are indeed crazy! Hinoki was structured to convey a Japanese bathhouse.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: Uncomfortable wearing Hinoki

So did you mean you get an impression of being in a Japanese bathhouse?

To me Hinoki smells exactly like being I my friend's woodshop with all the different woods and turpentine. It's remarkably realistic. That's one of the nice things about perfumery..... everyone draws connections unique to themselves.

When wearing Hinoki, I felt it was more about incense than woods. I agree it is a somewhat diffucult scent to wear given its campherous opening and all. Actually, it's weird that you mention this. I bought Hinoki just under a year ago, and have only worn it once. That's why I gave it away to a dear friend just yesterday.

It reminds me of this pine/cedar sweater chest I had while growing up... that got wet once because I spilled a huge glass of water on it. That smell stayed with me - damp cedar and pine. It just smells like Hinoki to me... makes me feel bad about that night.

Quote Originally Posted by CDG View Post
    The scent has no life in it, I mean, unlike Sequoia, you can say it's woody but it's full of life that I can literary feel the heat of freshly cut woods jumping off my skin
    That's one thing that struck me about the two - Sequoia is as much a warm dry wood as Hinoki is a cool damp wood. As to the rest, Hinoki is closer to "peaceful" than "scary" for me.

I love Hinoki...but I find longevity to be kind of poor. Has anyone else encountered this?

Quote Originally Posted by inmediasres View Post
    I love Hinoki...but I find longevity to be kind of poor. Has anyone else encountered this?
    Absolutely... after an initially strong blast I find it dies out pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    Absolutely... after an initially strong blast I find it dies out pretty quickly.
    Yeah, I hear you...does Sequoia have better longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by inmediasres View Post
    Yeah, I hear you...does Sequoia have better longevity?
    Three times better, Sequoia is going strong after 10+ hours.

Quote Originally Posted by CDG View Post
    No offense but after a couple of wearings I think I've finally figured out why I am so sacred of HInoki.
    I think you mean to say that you are scared of Hinoki.

I love Hinoki, it is very vital and lively to me, so I guess I am "sacred" to Hinoki.

It is a very focused scent, almost obsessive. But I think it has a purity and energy that is exceptional.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Yes, I can appreciate that it's ultra realistic to what it claims to resemble, maybe a little too much it feels like wearing furniture

Basenotes Institution

You are not crazy, you're just drawing parallels to the fragrance in your own unique way.

Put it away and come back to it later. Maybe then, you'll be able to disassociate it from the uncomfortable images it produces smelling it now. Maybe not. But it's worth trying.

I love the raw, cut wood smell and it makes me feel calm, serene and relaxed when I wear it. Kind of like how one feels when you exit a sauna.

CDG I am not scared of Hinoki, It is glorious.

I have an idea, seeing as it reminds you of the dead and scares you. Allow me to be your exorcist and take the problem out your hands free of charge
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

Hinoki is empty ( vacuity ), empty permit to can full,
    Hinoki is minimalist, Hinoki is complex (full in details )
    and its not a contraticction
    only means not have limits ,

When my mind is empty , I have space for imagine,
    When my mind is saturated, I not have space for apreciatte details ...
    Last edited by 1234567890; 5th November 2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga