Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Gentleman - Reformulated version

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has NOT tried the vintage version of GG, but who enjoys the new version. I used to wear the vintage about 12 years ago, but haven't smelled the new. Everyone who likes the old seems to hate the new, so I'm interested in hearing from those who never tried the old and like the new. What about the current version do you like?
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman - Reformulated version

I have never tried old version, but bought the new version believeing it to be the same. I like it - strong patchouli with leather undertones, but from a very strong opening, it fades very quickly. Ultimately, longevity is poor on my skin, not at all what I expected.

If it lasted longer and developed, instead of fading, from the initial opening, I would love it. As it stands I like it, but regard it as a fragrance that promises much but delivers on little. I would love to try the old formulation which seems to have been much richer and longer lasting.

Blog Entries

The new one is almost just as good. Its just as patchouli heavy as the old one, although might be a bit less dirty and a bit more dry than vintage. I could see how people who have been using it for years might have been disappointed. But fortunately for most of the vintage ones I like, I had experienced (and liked) the currently available ones before I tried the vintage. Had it been the other way around, I would have been cursing Chanel and Hermes for changing Antaeus and Bel Ami much before Givenchy Gentleman.

If you liked the old one, then why not get that? Its still available at fairly reasonable prices if you patiently look around.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

The new one strangely is a great russian leather scent for me

Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post
    The new one strangely is a great russian leather scent for me
    Well, I have to say that your description definitely makes me want to get a bottle! I don't have any leather scents in my collection, as far as I know.

On the Mazzolari Lui thread, back in May, you wrote that you had an opinion on Givenchy Gentleman's reformulation.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Hopefully you mean the vintage GG - the new formulation is lousy, IMO.
    This thread says you haven't smelled it.

I used to wear the vintage about 12 years ago, but haven't smelled the new.
    What's the story?
    Last edited by DustB; 13th July 2009 at 02:38 AM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    On the Mazzolari Lui thread, back in May, you wrote that you had an opinion on Givenchy Gentleman's reformulation.

This thread says you haven't smelled it.

What's the story?
    The story is that I obviously was mistaken in my early post. I've sampled an awful lot of fragrances over the years, and apparently I was mistakenly thinking of another scent when I said the new GG was "lousy".

Considering you felt you needed to post this in the forum, rather than sending me a PM about this, it's quite clear that you're simply trying to embarrass me in the open forum. I also say this considering your criticising me in open forum the same day about my Rose Absolue thread, which you didn't even read carefully (I stated clearly that I had NOT yet sampled the scent), and your other public criticisms of my posts.

We all inadvertently contradict ourselves, as I've obviously done. Any time I've posted a thread or contributed a post, it's been sincere and has been about a subject that I've found interesting, in the hope that others do as well. Other BN members seem to have found some of my threads worthy of discussion. I find the posts by Mudassir, Buddy97 and InconceivableZen on this very thread to be very helpful, interesting and informative to me. My thanks to them.

Now I can see why Luca Turin quit the BN forum after just a few days.
    Last edited by shamu1; 13th July 2009 at 01:11 PM.

The story is that I obviously was mistaken in my early post. I've sampled an awful lot of fragrances over the years, and apparently I was mistakenly thinking of another scent when I said the new GG was "lousy".

Considering you felt you needed to post this in the forum, rather than sending me a PM about this, it's quite clear that you're simply trying to embarrass me in the open forum. I also say this considering your criticising me in open forum the same day about my Rose Absolue thread, which you didn't even read carefully (I stated clearly that I had NOT yet sampled the scent), and your other public criticisms of my posts.

We all inadvertently contradict ourselves, as I've obviously done. Any time I've posted a thread or contributed a post, it's been sincere and has been about a subject that I've found interesting, in the hope that others do as well. Other BN members seem to have found some of my threads worthy of discussion. I find the posts by Mudassir, Buddy97 and InconceivableZen on this very thread to be very helpful, interesting and informative to me. My thanks to them.

Now I can see why Luca Turin quit the BN forum after just a few days.
    Thanks for the explanation Luca.

People should try to be nice to each other. People shouldn't try to humiliate or embarass other people.

Life is about making friends and growing as a person, not about authority and aggression.

We must try to be better persons.

I think Justin Time will have the last word, on his or her first post.