Code of Conduct

Default Chanel pour Monsieur Questions

I have a small spray vial marked "Chanel pour Monsieur." I was wondering if anyone has any idea if this is the Concentree version or the original version. Does Chanel make tester vials of the discontinued version anyway?

Default Re: Chanel pour Monsieur Questions

The original is not discontinued, just not widely distributed (and not in the US anymore, I think). I believe the mini would be labeled 'concentree'. Also, if it's got citrus topnotes over a chypre structure it's original (the drydown is distinctly mossy/woody).

Both versions of PM are still available... The concentrée is more oriental in style, with a sweeter drydown, compared to the regular PM. They really are totally separate fragrances.

Here's a photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    The original is not discontinued, just not widely distributed (and not in the US anymore, I think). I believe the mini would be labeled 'concentree'. Also, if it's got citrus topnotes over a chypre structure it's original (the drydown is distinctly mossy/woody).
    Actually, the original is very widely distributed in Europe. You can find it in any department store in Germany, for example. It's virtually unavailable in the U.S. however.

Just one of many perfume marketing decisions that I've never understood.

Since I really like it I am trying to figure out which one it is so I can get a larger bottle.

bokaba, judging by the picture it is def. Chanel Pour Monsieur and not the "concentrée" version.

Thanks. It seems a tad refined to be from the 80s anyway. Now, on to finding a bottle...

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    bokaba, judging by the picture it is def. Chanel Pour Monsieur and not the "concentrée" version.

I'm confused. Are we talking about the chanel pour monsieur created in 1955 or 1995?

Concentree was released in 1989

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Here's a photo
    Looks like the original. Like others have said, it's not discontinued. I found it pretty easily in Canada.

Beautyencounter has bottles of the original at very reasonable prices...

You have the original, at least judging from the card. The original has a distinctly green, mossy scent and is rather light. The concentree doesn't really smell green, but rather has a sharp, almost piercing anise-like smell to it. I've been wearing the original for about 10 years, and is a favorite of mine.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Its the original no doubt. Chanel Pour Monsieur is so widely available here in Malaysia. Strangely CPM and Egoiste is only available in 100ml size over here.

Sur la Plage

Just buy several bottles so you can reapply often.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It can be confirmed without doubt that what you have is the original 1955 version. This one is, IMHO, better than the concentrée.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Just buy several bottles so you can reapply often.
    I don't have any problem with Chanel Pour Monsieur's longevity. I easily get 10-12 hours.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    It's virtually unavailable in the U.S. however.
    Where does this erroneous bit of conventional wisdom come from, anyway? I live in a small town in the backward South and Chanel Pour Monsieur is always in every department store in my local mall. Probably one of the best chypres ever, though I'm not yet convinced to pay Chanel's regular prices for it.

Maybe they're so backward that they're don't know it was pulled from the US?

Don't know if its generally available across the US, but I bought my bottle of the original in a Duty Free shop at DFW (Dallas) when traveling to London. They had plenty of both versions. I think you can find either version quite readily. Just make sure it's the one you like.

I've never seen (or sniffed or sampled) the regular Pour Monsieur. The concentree is all over. Never seen a bottle of Egoiste either, just the platinum stuff. Also haven't seen Antaeus.

I have sampled regular Egoiste and Antaeus. Loved the first and was impressed by the second. I've never been impressed by any of Chanel's men's stuff i have smelled in stores, but I really liked two of the three they don't market here. Guess that means i had better buy a sample of Pour Monsieur then, eh?

I received a few emails asking for help finding a bottle of the original in the US. It's readily available here in Canada, but heard rumors that Chanel was "temporarily" pulling it shelves in the US. They're doing the same thing here with Egoiste...Platinum is all over, but you won't find the original (that I've seen anyway).

Oh... sorry for the bit of a thread hijack, but since i mentioned the low availability of Egoiste and Antaeus in the US, i should probably add that the Chanel website appears to have them (no regular Pour Monsieur though). $10 shipping charge sounds a bit annoying though.

I just ordered a 100ml bottle. I am sure I will enjoy it since CPM is so highly regarded here. Thanks to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    Actually, the original is very widely distributed in Europe. You can find it in any department store in Germany, for example. It's virtually unavailable in the U.S. however.

Just one of many perfume marketing decisions that I've never understood.
    I don't understand why the UK is the only country in the world which they don't distribute the original Egoiste.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

Complete opposite in Australia, only the original version is available, and none of the major dept stores even know about the concentree version.

And I'm dyyying to get my hands on concentree.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Where does this erroneous bit of conventional wisdom come from, anyway? I live in a small town in the backward South and Chanel Pour Monsieur is always in every department store in my local mall. Probably one of the best chypres ever, though I'm not yet convinced to pay Chanel's regular prices for it.
    It's probably because you're in a small town that bottles of the original remain. In cities at big department stores only the concentree remains. As for Chanel prices, it's one of the few Chanels I regularly see on discount sites. I recently got a 100ml bottle from ebay for $27. Egoiste and Antaeus were at the last Chanel boutique I visited - I haven't seen them elsewhere in a while.

As for whether to buy the original or not..... it's one of the greatest classics of perfumery and the ultimate masculine chypre. It should be on everyones shelf as a reference.

It's probably because you're in a small town that bottles of the original remain. In cities at big department stores only the concentree remains. As for Chanel prices, it's one of the few Chanels I regularly see on discount sites. I recently got a 100ml bottle from ebay for $27. Egoiste and Antaeus were at the last Chanel boutique I visited - I haven't seen them elsewhere in a while.

As for whether to buy the original or not..... it's one of the greatest classics of perfumery and the ultimate masculine chypre. It should be on everyones shelf as a reference.

PM for $27? Wow, I bought a 100 ml bottle for $68 a few months ago, and I thought I was getting a bargain!

I have seen the original in mainstream stores recently in Montreal, Canada.

I agree that the original PM is a masterpiece.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I remember reading Michael Edwards saying that Chanel PM is the closest living relative to Coty's Chypre. Not bad company.

It's probably because you're in a small town that bottles of the original remain.
    Or, the idea that Pour Monsieur is discontinued in the US or is otherwise difficult to obtain could simply be an urban myth.

For example, it is available at Macy's web site:

http://www.macys.com/catalog/syndica...acys/chanel-um

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Or, the idea that Pour Monsieur is discontinued in the US or is otherwise difficult to obtain could simply be an urban myth.

For example, it is available at Macy's web site:

http://www.macys.com/catalog/syndica...acys/chanel-um
    I believe that is the Concentree version for sale on that website.

I have seen Antaeus and Egoiste at Chanel boutiques, Bloomingdales and Neiman Marcus. I have not seen Chanel pour Monsiuer in any US department stores recently - although I have seen it on a few websites.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th July 2009 at 07:25 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    Complete opposite in Australia, only the original version is available, and none of the major dept stores even know about the concentree version..
    Same problem here in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I believe that is the Concentree version for sale on that website.
    Petruccijc is absolutely correct.

Chanel USA does not import Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955).

Unfortunately, the only Chanel Pour Monsieur distributed in the United States is the Concentree version.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

That link is to the Concentree. I've discussed with Chanel boutique SAs about how unfortunate that the original is no longer officially imported.

I have Pour Monsieur and it last a very long time on me. The part I dont like it the top notes , the first few minutes on me smells very much like Eau Savage. A true classic, it goes well for any occasion really.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

My mistake. Chanel is oddly coy about the Concentree, as if it is an embarrassment to the house. The only clue is that "Concentree" is listed in small type on the bottom of the bottle, right under "Eau de Toilette," as if Concentree were a strength designation rather than a completely different fragrance. The ad copy further obfuscates: "The first and only masculine fragrance to be created during Coco Chanel's lifetime, POUR MONSIEUR represents the ideal combination of elegance, distinction and gentlemanly discretion." Obviously that description applies to the original, not the concentree. So what's up? If so much energy is expended trying to convince US buyers that this is the original stuff, why not just, um, sell the original stuff?

Additionally it also appears that the original is green tinted and the concentree is yellow tinted.

Is Tiffany for Men really that similar to it?