Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Which is the ultimate vanilla scent for men?

After reading the threads and reviews on Profumum Vanitas, Serge Luten's Un Bois Vanille, and Guerlain's Spirituese Double Vanille, I would like to ask the board which is the ultimate vanilla scent without vearing too much to the feminine side, so to speak? I too, owned all the renditions of Pi, and enjoy the edp the most, but still would like to find something that smells of a higher quality and more dimensional than just a sweet vanilla, again, without smelling too feminine.

Default Re: Which is the ultimate vanilla scent for men?

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Caron Pour un Homme, Habit Rouge, Jaipur?

I will second Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.

Personally, I would give the honor to Spirituese Double Vanille.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I found Spirituese Double Vanille too sweet/feminine for my tasts--never got anything resembling a tobacco pipe note out of it. Aside from Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, I would suggest perhaps Vicktor & Rolf's Antidote or the original John Varvatos. Neither of them are straight up vanilla scents, but the note is mixed in and fairly prominent in both.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Which is the ultimate vanilla scent for men?

Jaipur by Boucheron would be my preferance without doubt.

Dependent

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Those are the kings of vanille.
    Currently wearing: Pohadka by YS Uzac

All the vanillas you mention are squarely unisex and wearable by all humans. Don't let reviews stop you from sampling scents!!

SDV is a truly great vanilla, with Vanitas, Farmacia Vaniglia, PG Felanilla, Micallef Note Vanillee, and PDN Vanille Intense all close behind. Then there are the mixed vanillas (vanilla+gourmand notes) like Un Bois Vanille, Aomassai, Fiore d'Ambre, Dulcis in Fundo, etc. Then there are woody vanillas like Tobacco Vanille, Montale Bois Vanille, Micallef Vanille Aoud, and PG Cadjmere. None of these are feminine or unwearable by guys.

If what you're really looking for is a masculine oriental with vanilla like Pi, try Habit Rouge, Jaipur EDP, Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, etc.

To me SDV is the ultimate vanilla - others have different favorites - and it/they are all worth sampling.

I would say the best true vanilla for men (and women) is Spiritueuse Double Vanille, followed by Musc Ravageur, but Musc Ravageur is supported by fecal/dirty musk and cinnamon.

Anyway, between Tom Ford's TV and SdV, I'd go with SdV. Not to say Tom Ford's isn't good too, but it just smells too much like a vanilla cigarillo to me.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 19th July 2009 at 03:26 AM. Reason: extra details
    Sales thread here

I too am sort of looking for the same thing as you dreamchaser. I have tried Jaipur but only in the EDT when I would preferably want it in the EDP, I got a strong almond note that was projecting on my skin, which is not something I wanted nor really cared for. I'm not sure how the EDP varies or if it is just more concentrated, either way the drydown is absolutely gorgeous, but the almond is a deal breaker for me. Tobacco Vanille's vanilla is truly amazing, but I don't like strong tobacco notes, and true to its name (at least on me) it's a pretty accurate rendition of vannila pipe tobacco, so it too did not work for me. If you don't mind the tobacco being pretty much 50/50 with the vanilla you may end up really loving TV. I'm really looking foward to trying Un Bois Vanille, and unless Spiritueuse Double Vanille becomes easier to obtain I think I'll refrain from trying it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    All the vanillas you mention are squarely unisex and wearable by all humans. Don't let reviews stop you from sampling scents!!

SDV is a truly great vanilla, with Vanitas, Farmacia Vaniglia, PG Felanilla, Micallef Note Vanillee, and PDN Vanille Intense all close behind. Then there are the mixed vanillas (vanilla+gourmand notes) like Un Bois Vanille, Aomassai, Fiore d'Ambre, Dulcis in Fundo, etc. Then there are woody vanillas like Tobacco Vanille, Montale Bois Vanille, Micallef Vanille Aoud, and PG Cadjmere. None of these are feminine or unwearable by guys.

If what you're really looking for is a masculine oriental with vanilla like Pi, try Habit Rouge, Jaipur EDP, Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, etc.

To me SDV is the ultimate vanilla - others have different favorites - and it/they are all worth sampling.
    I personally found the Montale to be incorrectly named. To me at least it was FAR and away a wood scent. All about resinous woods with an ever so slight drop of vanilla. And Cadjmere, I don't get much if any vanilla out of either. But, that being said, I don't care, because it's drop dead beautiful and I really love it.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 12th July 2009 at 07:24 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I like Tobacco Vanille.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

The almond note can be interesting. I have actually never tried Jaipur. How does it compare to Pi? Is the almond note similar in scent to that of the Acqua di Parma's Sicilian Almond of the Blue Mediterranean line? That could be very interesting to try as a more masculine scent.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    The almond note can be interesting. I have actually never tried Jaipur. How does it compare to Pi? Is the almond note similar in scent to that of the Acqua di Parma's Sicilian Almond of the Blue Mediterranean line? That could be very interesting to try as a more masculine scent.
    DC, never tried the AdP, but it is far less dense than Pi, less sweet too. It's a little powdery and as opposed to being warm, like you would consider most vanilla scents, its sort of cold.

Vanitas by Profumum.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Tobacco Vanille - Tom Ford: my Tobacco & Vanilla Holy Grail

Un Bois Vanille - SL: Vanilla on steroids

Addict EDP - Dior: Animalic Vanilla, McQueen's Kingdom with vanilla in the mix (yep, i think this is wearable by men)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Sur la Plage

Micallef Note Vanille
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Off-Scenter

Jaïpur Homme EdP, Shalimar (yes, Shalimar), Jicky, Habit Rouge, and more recently, Parfumerie Générale Felanilla.

My ultimate vanilla scent is Tabacco Toscano by Santa Maria Novella.

Canoe by Dana has been around since 1936 and should not be overlooked. It is a powerhouse vanilla fragrance.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 13th July 2009 at 01:36 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I agree with all of the above. For a more surreal vanilla experience, Bulgari Bulgari Black. A rubbery vanilla scent that is not for everyone, test first.

Guerlain Shalimar. get it in all concentrations posssible, coz this is all you will need to satisfy your vanilla tooth

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Jaipur by Boucheron would be my preferance without doubt.
    I second that, it is a fantastic fragrance!

My favorite, and I haven't smelled all of them, is Caron's Pour un Homme, which Ruggles mentions. I used to go for Molinard's Vaniteck, but got sick of it because it's an Amen without the tar I think.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Personally, I would give the honor to Spirituese Double Vanille.
    Amit, you love this Guerlain scent too much :P

Montale's Chypre Vanille is my choice.

I'll throw my vote towards Tobacco Vanille with the caveat that I haven't tried Guerlain SDV
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille, or Montale's Boise Vanille are my favourites by far.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    Amit, you love this Guerlain scent too much :P
    I do, I do

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post

Montale's Chypre Vanille is my choice.
    You're the first person I've seen mention Chypre Vanille, which is a favorite of mine. It's odd in that it's neither really a chypre nor a vanilla but something in between. Regardless it's fantastic. I don't know if it would appeal to someone looking for a traditional vanilla but it should be sampled anyway.