Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Which is the ultimate vanilla scent for men?

After reading the threads and reviews on Profumum Vanitas, Serge Luten's Un Bois Vanille, and Guerlain's Spirituese Double Vanille, I would like to ask the board which is the ultimate vanilla scent without vearing too much to the feminine side, so to speak? I too, owned all the renditions of Pi, and enjoy the edp the most, but still would like to find something that smells of a higher quality and more dimensional than just a sweet vanilla, again, without smelling too feminine.

Default Re: Which is the ultimate vanilla scent for men?

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Caron Pour un Homme, Habit Rouge, Jaipur?

I will second Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.

Personally, I would give the honor to Spirituese Double Vanille.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I found Spirituese Double Vanille too sweet/feminine for my tasts--never got anything resembling a tobacco pipe note out of it. Aside from Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, I would suggest perhaps Vicktor & Rolf's Antidote or the original John Varvatos. Neither of them are straight up vanilla scents, but the note is mixed in and fairly prominent in both.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Which is the ultimate vanilla scent for men?

Jaipur by Boucheron would be my preferance without doubt.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Those are the kings of vanille.

All the vanillas you mention are squarely unisex and wearable by all humans. Don't let reviews stop you from sampling scents!!

SDV is a truly great vanilla, with Vanitas, Farmacia Vaniglia, PG Felanilla, Micallef Note Vanillee, and PDN Vanille Intense all close behind. Then there are the mixed vanillas (vanilla+gourmand notes) like Un Bois Vanille, Aomassai, Fiore d'Ambre, Dulcis in Fundo, etc. Then there are woody vanillas like Tobacco Vanille, Montale Bois Vanille, Micallef Vanille Aoud, and PG Cadjmere. None of these are feminine or unwearable by guys.

If what you're really looking for is a masculine oriental with vanilla like Pi, try Habit Rouge, Jaipur EDP, Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, etc.

To me SDV is the ultimate vanilla - others have different favorites - and it/they are all worth sampling.

I would say the best true vanilla for men (and women) is Spiritueuse Double Vanille, followed by Musc Ravageur, but Musc Ravageur is supported by fecal/dirty musk and cinnamon.

Anyway, between Tom Ford's TV and SdV, I'd go with SdV. Not to say Tom Ford's isn't good too, but it just smells too much like a vanilla cigarillo to me.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 19th July 2009 at 03:26 AM. Reason: extra details
    Sales thread here

I too am sort of looking for the same thing as you dreamchaser. I have tried Jaipur but only in the EDT when I would preferably want it in the EDP, I got a strong almond note that was projecting on my skin, which is not something I wanted nor really cared for. I'm not sure how the EDP varies or if it is just more concentrated, either way the drydown is absolutely gorgeous, but the almond is a deal breaker for me. Tobacco Vanille's vanilla is truly amazing, but I don't like strong tobacco notes, and true to its name (at least on me) it's a pretty accurate rendition of vannila pipe tobacco, so it too did not work for me. If you don't mind the tobacco being pretty much 50/50 with the vanilla you may end up really loving TV. I'm really looking foward to trying Un Bois Vanille, and unless Spiritueuse Double Vanille becomes easier to obtain I think I'll refrain from trying it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    All the vanillas you mention are squarely unisex and wearable by all humans. Don't let reviews stop you from sampling scents!!

SDV is a truly great vanilla, with Vanitas, Farmacia Vaniglia, PG Felanilla, Micallef Note Vanillee, and PDN Vanille Intense all close behind. Then there are the mixed vanillas (vanilla+gourmand notes) like Un Bois Vanille, Aomassai, Fiore d'Ambre, Dulcis in Fundo, etc. Then there are woody vanillas like Tobacco Vanille, Montale Bois Vanille, Micallef Vanille Aoud, and PG Cadjmere. None of these are feminine or unwearable by guys.

If what you're really looking for is a masculine oriental with vanilla like Pi, try Habit Rouge, Jaipur EDP, Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, etc.

To me SDV is the ultimate vanilla - others have different favorites - and it/they are all worth sampling.
    I personally found the Montale to be incorrectly named. To me at least it was FAR and away a wood scent. All about resinous woods with an ever so slight drop of vanilla. And Cadjmere, I don't get much if any vanilla out of either. But, that being said, I don't care, because it's drop dead beautiful and I really love it.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 12th July 2009 at 07:24 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I like Tobacco Vanille.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

The almond note can be interesting. I have actually never tried Jaipur. How does it compare to Pi? Is the almond note similar in scent to that of the Acqua di Parma's Sicilian Almond of the Blue Mediterranean line? That could be very interesting to try as a more masculine scent.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    The almond note can be interesting. I have actually never tried Jaipur. How does it compare to Pi? Is the almond note similar in scent to that of the Acqua di Parma's Sicilian Almond of the Blue Mediterranean line? That could be very interesting to try as a more masculine scent.
    DC, never tried the AdP, but it is far less dense than Pi, less sweet too. It's a little powdery and as opposed to being warm, like you would consider most vanilla scents, its sort of cold.

Vanitas by Profumum.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Tobacco Vanille - Tom Ford: my Tobacco & Vanilla Holy Grail

Un Bois Vanille - SL: Vanilla on steroids

Addict EDP - Dior: Animalic Vanilla, McQueen's Kingdom with vanilla in the mix (yep, i think this is wearable by men)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sur la Plage

Micallef Note Vanille
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Off-Scenter

Japur Homme EdP, Shalimar (yes, Shalimar), Jicky, Habit Rouge, and more recently, Parfumerie Gnrale Felanilla.

My ultimate vanilla scent is Tabacco Toscano by Santa Maria Novella.

Canoe by Dana has been around since 1936 and should not be overlooked. It is a powerhouse vanilla fragrance.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 13th July 2009 at 01:36 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I agree with all of the above. For a more surreal vanilla experience, Bulgari Bulgari Black. A rubbery vanilla scent that is not for everyone, test first.

Guerlain Shalimar. get it in all concentrations posssible, coz this is all you will need to satisfy your vanilla tooth

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Jaipur by Boucheron would be my preferance without doubt.
    I second that, it is a fantastic fragrance!

My favorite, and I haven't smelled all of them, is Caron's Pour un Homme, which Ruggles mentions. I used to go for Molinard's Vaniteck, but got sick of it because it's an Amen without the tar I think.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Amit, you love this Guerlain scent too much :P

Montale's Chypre Vanille is my choice.

I'll throw my vote towards Tobacco Vanille with the caveat that I haven't tried Guerlain SDV
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille, or Montale's Boise Vanille are my favourites by far.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    Amit, you love this Guerlain scent too much :P
    I do, I do

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post

Montale's Chypre Vanille is my choice.
    You're the first person I've seen mention Chypre Vanille, which is a favorite of mine. It's odd in that it's neither really a chypre nor a vanilla but something in between. Regardless it's fantastic. I don't know if it would appeal to someone looking for a traditional vanilla but it should be sampled anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by alacious View Post
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille, or Montale's Boise Vanille are my favourites by far.
    I know quite a few of those that have been mentioned but not all. If one wants a perfume where vanilla isn't only part of the theme, like in Caron PUH, or Habit Rouge, then I would second your recommendation, alacious. I particularly love Un Bois de Vanille. Pure vanilla made darker by some wood bark, it seems. So strange that this had been released as a feminine! By the way, I have some vanilla oil from India which I wear from time to time - not the least smelling of dessert or the bakery, and it lasts very well, too! ("Copal perfume oils, India, Est. 1932")
    Last edited by narcus; 13th July 2009 at 06:46 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Out of the ones I've tried I'd recommend Guerlain SDV and Profumum Vanitas. I love TF Tobacco Vanille, but it's just as much about tobacco as it is about vanilla to me.

SDV is the ultimate vanilla for men and women. It is sweet, but not in a sickly cloying way. It's also not cheap smelling - quite the contrary. And for those who find it's a bit much on its own, there's always the option to layer it.

Now Vanitas.. well, it's superb - and the sillage and longevity beat SDV on my skin, anyway. The tradeoff seems to be that Vanitas does have a bit more of a delicate, feminine dry-down. I wore it a few times to be sure and didn't dig it as much as SDV.

You're the first person I've seen mention Chypre Vanille, which is a favorite of mine. It's odd in that it's neither really a chypre nor a vanilla but something in between. Regardless it's fantastic. I don't know if it would appeal to someone looking for a traditional vanilla but it should be sampled anyway.
    To me, this one is really a hidden gem. On me Chypre Vanille works so wonderfully. Like you said, this one is not a traditional vanilla scent. It's more special. It is a Diffirent vanilla scent

By the way, I'm so surprised there are so many basenoters love TF Tobacco Vanille. This scent is not bad, but it is just simple Tobacco&Vanille. I like it, but I never buy it. This scent is too expensive.
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 13th July 2009 at 10:39 AM.

La Maison de la Vanille - Moai
    An unapologetically Vanilla scent that is marketed as a men's fragrance but could definitely be worn by women as well; so not sure if that's what you are looking for.

I'm by no means an expert when it comes to vanilla scents, but my favourite is Guerlain SDV. However, it is by no means a vanilla soliflore, so to speak.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Does anyone have any thoughts on Farmacia SS Annunziata's Vaniglia del Madagascar?

I thought I'd give Creed's Royal Delight an honorable mention. Sure, the vanilla is mixed with leather and a bit of a citrus/floral - but it's definitely got the vanilla thing going on for it.

Also anxiously awaiting Creed's new Sublime Vanille!

Is SDV still able to be purchased? And if so how much does it go for? I want to try it, but won't bother if it isn't something can be relatively easily obtained.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Is SDV still able to be purchased? And if so how much does it go for? I want to try it, but won't bother if it isn't something can be relatively easily obtained.
    as far as I am aware it is from any Guerlain boutique like Bergderf Goodman, or Sak's 5th Ave, you can call them up and order it over the phone

Quote Originally Posted by cusut View Post
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Agree on both of these accounts.. I wore SDV last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It lingers all through the night as well and made for really peaceful sleep.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    as far as I am aware it is from any Guerlain boutique like Bergderf Goodman, or Sak's 5th Ave, you can call them up and order it over the phone
    Thanks Denec, I thought I had heard something about it no longer being available in the US.

Thanks Denec, I thought I had heard something about it no longer being available in the US.
    It used to be limited edition and there was a short time it wasn't available. However, they (smartly) added it to their permanent line. It's still pretty pricey, but at least it's attainable. They have it at the Guerlain boutique down here at EPCOT, and I think anywhere else they have high end Guerlain boutiques.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Does anyone have any thoughts on Farmacia SS Annunziata's Vaniglia del Madagascar?
    It is very good. Although more of a 'pure vanilla' then SDV it's very rich and not entirely unlike Vanitas.

Btw SDV is very much available at the Guerlain counters authorized to carry the high end stuff (I.e. Bergdorfs). I believe it is $240 (for 75ml). As much as that is, it's worth every penny. When I first got it I was going through it too quickly because it became my go-to. I went through almost 20ml in a month. To prevent this I put the detachable atomizer away and keep the original cap on. If it weren't so expensive I'd wear it much more, but I'll guarantee I'll always have a bottle.

I own both Tobaco Vanille and Spiritueuse Double Vanille which I both cherish and I fear the day Ill have to finish them. However, they are very expensive. To me SdV is more boozy,sweet , than a single note vanilla to me.

Now , I wonder, Molinard has some vanillas in their line,http://www.molinard.com/produit_gb.php?themes_id=263, which are not as expensive as the ones mentioned,
    but I dont remember anyone mentioning one of these on this board.
    Isnt there anyone here who has tried one of these? Im curious.
    Last edited by eric; 14th July 2009 at 12:11 AM.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried every vanilla scent on the market.

Caron pour un homme is the best vanilla based accord for men out of the ones I have. Less fashionable right this minute but certainly more affordable than both TV & SDV.

I just tried Boucheron's Jaipur edt, and it is definitely not what I'm looking for. I compared it to my Pi which is really much more seductive, deeper, richer , but still has a much fresher and more modern feel. The Jaipur has a very 'dated' feel to it. I guess I have to find a way to smell the SDV, TV, and Vanitas scents. By the postings, it sounds as if Vanitas is the most feminine of the bunch?

It is very good. Although more of a 'pure vanilla' then SDV it's very rich and not entirely unlike Vanitas.

Btw SDV is very much available at the Guerlain counters authorized to carry the high end stuff (I.e. Bergdorfs). I believe it is $240 (for 75ml). As much as that is, it's worth every penny. When I first got it I was going through it too quickly because it became my go-to. I went through almost 20ml in a month. To prevent this I put the detachable atomizer away and keep the original cap on. If it weren't so expensive I'd wear it much more, but I'll guarantee I'll always have a bottle.
    It was $175 if I recall last time I was there unless they raised the price but I can be wrong

someone could correct me, and i think it only comes in one size but I could be wrong as well? maybe $175 for 50ml?

Offrez-Lui by Galimard

I second Caron pour un Homme and Jaipur Homme.

btw I was mistaken I stopped in Saks other day it is $220 for 75 ml

This thread also inspired me to retry SDV again, I remember the last time I tried SDV I was underwhelmed.

I must admit I really do like it. I sprayed it 3 times on my left hand. I had to do it 3 times to really be able to smell it.

What I like about it, not too sweet. The only thing is the sillage is not really there, compared to say Un Bois Vanille or Tom Ford TV

I also tried Un Bois Vanille this week as well for the first time with just one spray and wow has superb sillage and longevity that lasted over 24 hours on me, was a bit too sweet for me, and smelled very gourmand, but was very nice.

I think if I had to pick between SDV or Un Bois Vanille hmm hard choice they are both different enough, I probably would go with SDV only because it is not as sweet, though I still like Tom ford TV better out of the 3.

The one nice thing about SDV is it not very cloying or heavy and can be worn in the Summer IMO, in fact I sampled it in the hot weather the other day and it was fine and don't thin you can do that with too many vanilla scents.
    Last edited by denec; 17th July 2009 at 10:44 PM.

I never understood the point of a cologne being vanilla for vanilla's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance J. Smooth View Post
    La Maison de la Vanille - Moai
    An unapologetically Vanilla scent that is marketed as a men's fragrance but could definitely be worn by women as well; so not sure if that's what you are looking for.
    This and any other La Maison de la Vanille = vanilla bliss. I love this house!

Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille is definitely up there too . . .
    I love Jasmine.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    btw I was mistaken I stopped in Saks other day it is $220 for 75 ml

This thread also inspired me to retry SDV again, I remember the last time I tried SDV I was underwhelmed.

I must admit I really do like it. I sprayed it 3 times on my left hand. I had to do it 3 times to really be able to smell it.

What I like about it, not too sweet. The only thing is the sillage is not really there, compared to say Un Bois Vanille or Tom Ford TV

I also tried Un Bois Vanille this week as well for the first time with just one spray and wow has superb sillage and longevity that lasted over 24 hours on me, was a bit too sweet for me, and smelled very gourmand, but was very nice.

I think if I had to pick between SDV or Un Bois Vanille hmm hard choice they are both different enough, I probably would go with SDV only because it is not as sweet, though I still like Tom ford TV better out of the 3.

The one nice thing about SDV is it not very cloying or heavy and can be worn in the Summer IMO, in fact I sampled it in the hot weather the other day and it was fine and don't thin you can do that with too many vanilla scents.
    The next time you happen to try SdV, I'd urge you to dab it. I've experienced it develops very differently [for the better] when dabbed.

Hmm...No one here mentioned Dolce&Gabbana The One For Men? Very sophisticated, warm & smooth with just a hint of tobacco (I don't like Tom Ford's because I think it has too much tobacco scent in its cologne). The more I use it, the more I just get addicted to it. Haven't tried Double Vanille by Guerlain, yet. But D&G The One is going to be hard to beat.

Vanilla is a note that I've not been able to do as the main theme but my vote would go to:

Caron Pour un Homme

Santal Noble

Le Male

Edit: Just had to add Jaipur, I rather like this one.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 19th July 2009 at 01:40 PM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I own both Tobaco Vanille and Spiritueuse Double Vanille which I both cherish and I fear the day Ill have to finish them. However, they are very expensive. To me SdV is more boozy,sweet , than a single note vanilla to me.

Now , I wonder, Molinard has some vanillas in their line,http://www.molinard.com/produit_gb.php?themes_id=263, which are not as expensive as the ones mentioned,
    but I dont remember anyone mentioning one of these on this board.
    Isnt there anyone here who has tried one of these? Im curious.
    I have it (the Molinard straight vanilla), and it's a good single note vanilla. It is probably a good layering vanilla, though I didn't try it yet.

It's not super sweet, but since it's rather a singular note, all you really get is the vanilla.

I also sampled the Vanille Marine - it doesn't seem to work to me... those two notes seem to fight against each other.

Vanille Patchouli is ok, but I'm not a great fan of major note patchouli, and it overwhelms the vanille.

My favorite Vanille must still be Vanille 44 by Le Labo... just as hard to get as SDV though... and equally as expensive.

I just wanted to add that last night I got to sample for the first time two vanillas. Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille, which I didn't care for, not about vanilla enough for me, and I was turned off by the coconut. The other one being Farmacia SS Annunziata's Vaniglia del Madagascar, and I quite liked it. It was subtle though, but it was warm and creamy and overall quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    I have it (the Molinard straight vanilla), and it's a good single note vanilla. It is probably a good layering vanilla, though I didn't try it yet.

It's not super sweet, but since it's rather a singular note, all you really get is the vanilla.

I also sampled the Vanille Marine - it doesn't seem to work to me... those two notes seem to fight against each other.

Vanille Patchouli is ok, but I'm not a great fan of major note patchouli, and it overwhelms the vanille.

My favorite Vanille must still be Vanille 44 by Le Labo... just as hard to get as SDV though... and equally as expensive.
    Cool!
    Thanks for letting me know your impressions, there was little info on this board on these vanillas in the Molinard line.

cheers,
    eric

Basenotes Institution

The next time you happen to try SdV, I'd urge you to dab it. I've experienced it develops very differently [for the better] when dabbed.
    I was not aware of that. When I wore it from my decant last year, I always sprayed it on. Hmm...
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle