Code of Conduct

Default A nice oud (not barnyard/fecal) for blending?

Hello everyone. I'm looking at picking up some oud but even the samples are extremely expensive. I'd like something that isn't TOO expensive, although would be willing to go with an expensive oud if it is tenacious. At about what level of the blend do you typically use oud? What % of the blend would the aoud have to be to be as present as in say, Montale's Lime Aoud or Royal Aoud? I'm just trying to get a read on costs.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a cleaner oud - it can be a bit medicinal but for the perfume I'll be using it for I need it to be free of barnyard and fecal notes.

How is the C02 extracted oud from Eden Botanicals? How about the C02 oud from Liberty Natural that only costs $200 an ounce? Liberty also has a $1500 an ounce C02 oud and a $1200 an ounce steam distilled. Anyone try these? How about the stuff from Tigerflag?

Any comments or recommendations are welcome. Again, the key criteria is a spiritual oud.. something like the aoud used in Montale's Royal/Lime Aoud, or M. Micallef's Aoud.

Any information regarding the typical usage percentage-wise of oud in a blend is SUPER helpful. I see GoodScents has it listed as "up to 4% of the concentrate" but that seems like a lot to me, if the oud is as tenacious as I imagine.

Thanks!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: A nice oud (not barnyard/fecal) for blending?

Hey SOS, I'm pretty sure you've thought about Original Aoud by Montale, but I think that would work great. Are you looking for Aoud oils and not those diluted in alcohol?
    Sales thread here

As a very rough idea, my perfumer friend here in India blends 30% oud to another perfume blend so the mixture is 70% other perfume oil and 30% oud. This, for a 3ml bottle which is potent enough to make at least 30ml of EDT (and the oud is still very strong in there, mind you).
    Therefore, it would be safe to assume a 3% to 5% Oud concentration depending on the strength.
    As you might already know, ouds vary in grade. You could easily get by with a b or c grade Oud - that wouldn't break the bank either.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Hey SOS, I'm pretty sure you've thought about Original Aoud by Montale, but I think that would work great. Are you looking for Aoud oils and not those diluted in alcohol?
    While I do really enjoy Original Aoud, I'm looking for something I could (legally) use in a composition of my own. Original Aoud is also has a nuttier aroma than what I'm ideally seeking, which is something that is more straight wood with perhaps some medicinal overtones. I'd prefer something undiluted because then I can dilute it to the strength necessary and also I'm not relying on someone else's dilution measurements, which if they are off at all would cause problems if I ever sourced the stuff undiluted and tried to recreate my formula.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 12th July 2009 at 09:16 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Out of all of the C02 Ouds I have tried I dont care for them as they donot reflect the known fragrance of Oud. If you are looking for something free from barnyardiness then I would suggest looking at suppliers from Indonesia. Maruke, Tarakan and Puapa origins are not fecal at all and are more high note woody, and slightly medicinal. Also you can try cultivated Aqularria Cressna which is usually fruity and woody which is mainly produced in Cambodia, Vietnam abd Thailand. All of these suppliers can be found on alibaba.com. If you dont want to risk it then if you check the agarwood group here on basenotes which there are a few sellers who post there who can pick and choose for you.
    Last edited by abubakr_al-misky; 12th July 2009 at 10:45 PM.

Thank you for the insight Abubakr_Al-Misky. I'm going to check out alibaba and also think I'll join the oud group if I can. I've got a few more questions about some likely 'best candidates for a particular purpose.'
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Have you emailed Barbara at Eden Botanicals for a sample? I've done a lot of co-ops and personal purchases from them and have received outstanding product & service.

I have sampled EB CO2 agarwood oil and though it was very interesting I dont think it is what is used in most Oud perfume blends though I think it is worth a try to sample.

Default Oud Lover

Where can I buy some good Oud at wholesale priices?

Try alibaba.com

Firmenich makes an oud that is not at all animalic in the barnyard sense. It's ambery and spicy but I detect only traces of wilder animal. I smell more. . . sugarcookies and cedar.

Firmenich's Oud Blend smells better and more authentic than any of the "wholesale" priced "natural" products you can buy. I put "natural" in quotes because the market is overrun with fakes, some of which can't even be discerned from the real thing on a gas chromatograph. Aloeswood is extremely easy to fake using cheap ingredients, and unless you spend the big bucks from a reputable supplier, you're probably getting a fake.

Another tricky thing about aloeswood (aka agarwood or oud) is it has a high terpene content. Unless you're careful, your end product will smell of turpentine.

Highly recommend Firmenich's Oud Blend, at $25 per ounce from Perfumer's Apprentice, you can't go wrong.

http://store.perfumersapprentice.com/bl-0120.html

It comes thick and unworkable (so does real aloeswood co2), you will need to microwave some water and pour it in a container with the container of the Oud Blend inside in order to make it workable.
    Last edited by Neurotic Scientist; 24th August 2009 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic Scientist View Post
    Firmenich's Oud Blend smells better and more authentic than any of the "wholesale" priced "natural" products you can buy. I put "natural" in quotes because the market is overrun with fakes, some of which can't even be discerned from the real thing on a gas chromatograph. Aloeswood is extremely easy to fake using cheap ingredients, and unless you spend the big bucks from a reputable supplier, you're probably getting a fake.

Another tricky thing about aloeswood (aka agarwood or oud) is it has a high terpene content. Unless you're careful, your end product will smell of turpentine.

Highly recommend Firmenich's Oud Blend, at $25 per ounce from Perfumer's Apprentice, you can't go wrong.

http://store.perfumersapprentice.com/bl-0120.html

It comes thick and unworkable (so does real aloeswood co2), you will need to microwave some water and pour it in a container with the container of the Oud Blend inside in order to make it workable.
    I agree with most of your statements but I personally feel from a long experience that fake oud is nothing close to the real thing. I have smelled a good amount of it and it is pretty easy to detect if it is in a higher amount in an oud blend or mukhallat. I think what happens to more of an extent is that real Oud is used as a base and then either synthetic or natural blending oils are mixed with it, some synthetic oud may be used to blend with it, or inferior oud is blended with a higher quality oud, or other woody note essential oils are co-distilled or blended to stretch the oud notes. If someone is not experienced with Oud though then it may be easy to be tricked but if you know a little about oud oil and were abouts to find it then I think more then likelly you will get an oud that is either pure, high or low quality, or blended as mentioned before. It is not impossible to get pure oud but some research and close relationships with the distillery need to be established.