Code of Conduct

Default Stronger Colognes

Hey guys I have been using Sean John Unforgiveable exclusively and while I love it, I find It isn't strong enough and doesn't keep it's bite for too long. What would you all reccomend for something "louder" and longer lasting, but something that isn't "musky".For reference, I love the smell of SJ, but HATE the Polo original. Any ideas? It's for daily use btw. Thanks!

Chris
    Last edited by kovalchuk71; 27th June 2009 at 04:52 PM.

Default Re: Stronger Colognes

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk71 View Post
    What would you all reccomend for something "louder" and longer lasting, but something that isn't "musky".
    There should be a recent topic on "powerhouse" scents that might help. Beyond that, the first that comes to mind is Caron's Third Man - much less expensive and easier to get than Creed's Millesime Imperial.

Thanks, but Im not looking for something that knocks me oN my a** haha. Just something with a little more pop that lasts longer.... I almost threw up when I smelled Kouros

Maybe Jaipur Homme, Drakkar Noir, Versace L'Homme, Chanel Antaeus, some fragrances of the Serge Lutens range

On me, Unforgiveable hangs around for a long time, but barely projects after the first hour or so.
    Quite frankly, with the possible exceptions of Emporio Armani He and Bvlgari PH, just about any other scent you can think of will be louder than Unforgiveable.
    Renato

Have you tried Armani Code?

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    On me, Unforgiveable hangs around for a long time, but barely projects after the first hour or so.
    Quite frankly, with the possible exceptions of Emporio Armani He and Bvlgari PH, just about any other scent you can think of will be louder than Unforgiveable.
    Renato
    That's exactly how I am. If I smell myself at the end of the day Its there (barely), but it doesn't project.

By the way I like more citrus and fresh smelling scents

For something stronger, affordable and suited for daily wear I recommend Michael for Men by Michael Kors. This is an excellent juice that "pops" from initial application and is really easy to wear summer and winter. Its not exactly a fresh scent but it isn't too heavy either with patchouli, smoke and a little leather.

If citrus is what you want, then be prepared to expect a short live span on the skin; it is just the nature of the beast (although there are a few notable exceptions Profumum Acqua Viva being one). The way to get around this is to transfer a few mL into a spray vial and carry it with you, and re-apply as needed.

Here are a few citrusy/fresh scents you may like but they will have about the same longevity as what you are now using.

- Monsieur Balmain
    - Guerlain Imperiale
    - Guerlain Du Coq

If you want to spend a little more then you could try:

- Montale Bois Fruites or Red Vetiver
    - Perfumerie Generale Yuzu ab Irato, or Cologne Grand Siecle
    - Creed Silver Mountain Water or Millesime Imperiale
    - Nasomatto Absinth
    - Profumum Acqua Viva or Acqua di Sale
    - MPG Pour le Jeune Homme
    Last edited by surreality; 27th June 2009 at 08:37 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Most Oriental scents will give you better projection. As for loud fresh scents, my favorite are L'eau D'Issey and Chrome.

Definitely L'eau d'Issey PH, and I'll throw in Calvin Klein Escape for men, Dior Dune for men and maybe Carolina Herrera 212 for men (the original)...all mega projection on me.

If you like Unforgivable and you want more projection and longevity....Bond no.9 Wall Street is the no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    If you like Unforgivable and you want more projection and longevity....Bond no.9 Wall Street is the no-brainer.
    ditto !!

I also may add Versace Man, and Escada Magnetism .

l'eau d'Issey lasts (noticeably) well over 12 hours on me.
    Dunhill Pursuit is somewhat similar, with a distinct orange note, and Creed Silver Mountain Water has a similar (but much 'richer') dry-down, with alot more oomph.
    Theres also a 'rip-off' version called Unjustified that lasts alot longer than the real version, however you don't get the distinct dry down of Unforgivable, only the top notes.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Renato
    Bvlgari PH is great, but way too low key to be "loud"

I'll 3rd Leau d Issey coz its lasts and lasts and is very easy to the nose. For that matter Bvlgari Aqua is another no brainer imo

and welcome
    Last edited by MFJ; 28th June 2009 at 04:32 AM.

Paco XS is good
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Try Salvador Dali. It's tarry black with a big green punch and pops like a firecracker.

Try Polo Black or Double Black....they're nothing like the original, and since you like UF they'd be a step up.

Thanks everyone!

Do the D&G fragrances hold up? How about Gucci?

L'eau D'Issey can be found at most dept stores and Sephora. This one is big, fresh, and lasts and lasts.

Thanks everyone!

Do the D&G fragrances hold up? How about Gucci?
    Most of the older D&G and Gucci stuff are long lasting with good sillage.

D&G The one is alright, sillage is good for the 1st 2 hrs then it dries down to almost a skin scent. For something stronger fr D&G do try D&G Pour Homme (1994).

Most of the Gucci men fragrances are quite strong. Even the newer Gucci PH II delivers quite well in terms of sillage & longevity. However pls avoid the new Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme. this one fails terribly.weak sillage and longevity. I have this on me right now and the fabric softerner on my clothes is actually stronger.

Hugo Boss Number One is one of my favorite power houses.

Does Double Black project for a decent amount of time? I want to escape the citrus for a change and find a more "manly scent"... I went to ulta the other day and really liked the following

Polo Double Black
    Kenneth Cole Black
    YSL
    Gucci Envy (that one was Alright, not great)
    D&G Platinum Egoiste

Any more suggestions of other colognes, preferably ones I can find at a dept store or a sephora/ulta/perfumania? I'm looking for long sillage and decent projection.....
    Last edited by kovalchuk71; 11th July 2009 at 08:56 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dullah View Post
    if you like unforgivable and you want more projection and longevity....bond no.9 wall street is the no-brainer.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 11th July 2009 at 09:13 PM.

Sur la Plage

Azzaro Chrome
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Does Double Black project for a decent amount of time?
    For me, it's fairly quiet by the end of the day, but it easily lasts to lunchtime.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Bond No.9 Wall St smells like Unforgivable as soon as its out the bottle (top note) and it stays that way for ages.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.