Code of Conduct

Default Please help me select samples from Nicolai,Lalique and Goutal

So I 've found a online offering of 5 samples, each 5ml for a mere USD20.00. I think it's a good deal considering most are niche. I've picked AdP Intensa and Nicolai's New York because they seem to be most popular, I've got three slots left and I am leaning toward Nicolai's and possibly some Annick Goutal's. i don't konw about Lalique, but I heard some good stuffy about Encre Noire so maybe will give it a try.

I like woody, comfort scent, fresh is okay too. I need good staying power and at least moderate sillage, not too loud but noticeable, need to project sophistication, but also approachable, easygoing
    I do not like too sweet, too flowery, too much vanilla, too much neroli, am I asking too much?
    Current favorites: Sequoia, Kyoto, Citrus Paradisi, Timbutku

Here's the list of samples, Could you help me choose three? thanks!

Parfums de Nicolai
    - Baladin
    - Carre d’As
    - Cologne Sologne
    - New York
    - Nicolai pour Homme
    - Number One
    - Vetyver

Annick Goutal
    - Duel
    - Eau d’Hadrien
    - Les Nuits d´Hadrien
    - Mandragore
    - Gardenia Passion
    - Grand Amour
    - Sables

Lalique
    - Pour Homme
    - Le Faune
    - Equus
    - Encre Noire

Caron
    - Pour un Homme

Blog Entries

Default Re: Please help me select samples from Nicolai,Lalique and Goutal

From your list, I would chose Cologne Sologne, Vetyver and Nicolai Pour Homme (all three from Nicolai).
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

I'd try New York, Sables and Encre Noire.

Thanks man, I like Pour Homme based on all the positive reviews but not sure what it smells like
    Vetyver is similar to Red Vetiver of Montale? the latter I am not too fanatic about it

Off-Scenter

Given your stated preferences, my votes go to Encre Noire, New York, and Nicolaï's Vetyver. A lot of people seem to like Sables these days, but I find it very loud and very sweet.

Forget Cologne Sologne if you don't like neroli... shame it's beautiful.

Nicolai pour Homme and New York are very nice.

He's already getting New York.

I'd say Nuits de Hadrian, Encre Noir, and Sables.

If you're a sushi fan, you might check and see if CDG has given in and created Encre Nori yet.
    - E.J.

May I ask where are you getting this sample program from? Thanks

On the topic, I'd choose:
    Parfums de Nicolai pour Homme
    Lalique Encre Noire
    Annick Goutal Sables (because I want to try this one, too :P)

I'd say you will find the Encre Noir meets your wishes very well. It would be an excellent choice according to your tastes. It's the only Lalique that I think is worthy. (That's just my taste, however. EN is the only Lalique for me too.)

Skip Nicolai's Vetyver, I'd say. I have a bottle of it because I'm a vetiver loving freak, but it really doesn't pull me. It's not bad, but it smells hot like too much cardamom maybe, or too much like a steam grate. It's nice, but it isn't a knockout. Goutal's vetiver is better.

From Nicolai I say Baladin is the good one. Light leather floral. Nothing that's a bouquet, but a very nice mouth watering leather base with a touch of wet flower to quench the nose. Some dry herbal in the center too. A good score.

From Goutal get Duel. It's great. Iris and dry tea. Bit of leather in there too, but very dry and amazing. It really grew on me quickly. That iris and that tea! Yeah!

You'll be happy no matter what you get.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

EN is a "comfort sense?" Have I been transported to an alternate universe? LOL. As to woody/fresh/comfort, there is Tom Ford for men or the less expensive Silver/Black or Onyx by Azzaro. Baldessarini has tobacco and pine, so that might work for you too, though what you mean by comfort is crucial. Clearly, not all BNers agree on that !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th July 2009 at 05:58 AM.

PdN Nicolai Pour Homme (this goes a bit sweet in the drydown, though)
    AG Duel
    Lalique Encre Noir

Nuits de Hadrian, hmmm,.interesting, is it too feminine(judging by the name)? If I get Eau d’Hadrien, which's better for everyday wear?

I'd probably skip Nicolai's Vetyver and go for Encre Noire since they both are vertiver but the latter gets more attention.

By the way, Declaration is also available, worth a try according to my taste?,. What about Caron pour un homme, am I trying to many vertivers at once?

Thanks to Knize Ten, leathery note really turns me off so I guess I won't be interested in Duel and Balladin

cusut, the deal is from an Australian website(artofman.com.au).

Cusut and Asha make a good recommendation in Nicolai Pour Homme too. That's good stuff. Cool and dark. Nothing wrong there.

I hear you, but Duel really isn't much leather, just lots of tea. I don't want to give an incorrect understanding of it.

I will most likely get Nicolai Pour Homme!
    I like tea! I hate leather!

So far
    New York
    Intensa
    Pour Homme
    Encre Noire
    Duel/Eau d’Hadrien/Les Nuits de Hadrian/???

NY is excellent, but I don't think of it as woody, nor fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    NY is excellent, but I don't think of it as woody, nor fresh.
    I 've succumbed to the hype and I just have to try

Others like Nuit de Hadrien for sure, but it never did anything for me. In one nostril and out the other kind of thing for me.

Eau d'Hadrien is one of the best citruses there is. Woody base too. Seems like gravel, citrus, and fresh cut blond wood. Archetypal. Really great stuff. DOESN'T last reliably. To make it last you need to buy the edp version, Hadrien Absolu, or use the Eau d'Hadrien body lotion before applying the edt. Those will extend duration, but cause the price to go up, and the bother, in the case of the body lotion.

If you want one of the best citruses then Ed'H is a choice to consider. If your priorities are others, and duration is highly valued, you might be happier with another choice.

Here's my 2 cents worth: Skip Parfums de Nicolai. You're choices, besides New York, are not their best offerings.
    Annick Goutal's Sables is one of the all-time greats that everyone who is serious about fragrances needs to try - IMHO, of course. Grand Amour is amazing, but you don't want it, trust me. Why not try Goutal's Vetiver? It's one of the best out there.
    Lalique Pour Homme is an amazing and loud creation by Maurice Roucel that has all of his good ideas in one place. Rosemary over vanilla - yum!
    Instead of Caron Pour un Homme, go for the gold and get their 3rd Man - you'll have one of the best male florals in existence.
    But, what do I know?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th July 2009 at 06:32 AM.

Ruggles and everyone else on Sables is bonkers. Amazing fragrance, sure enough. Superior longevity, you betcha. Like nothing else out there, check. Killer, simply killer, use of immortelle. (Wow!) Everyone who's serious about fragrances should know it--absolutely!

But it's sweet. It won't meet your needs. It will smell like immortelle over slightly burned maple syrup and might step into the heavy leather associations for you--might step into Knize Ten area. Not for direct reasons, but because of the burnt and dead and ancient weird element.

So they're bonkers. Except when they say Goutal's Vetyver. Then they're steering you straight.

DustB, I do like citrus, in fact I like Citrus Paradisi a lot, but here in winter, I think I only like it in small doses, plus for fresh scent I think AdP intensa will cover my base for now, yeah?
    Ruggles, some of the AG scents you mentioned are not available for sampling, neither if Caron 3rd man, I will look into Sables/duel/Les nuits.
    I am a little surprised Declaration didn't get much lover over AGs and Nicolais
    Thanks for all the replies!

I really like Lalique (Lion) PH too (and it's cheap), but it's not "fresh."

I am glad people took into account of what suits me instead of what they think I should try.

Of course I was only joking about calling my friend Ruggles and all my other friends bonkers. Felt like giving them some tough love is all.

Sounds like your logic is perfect on this and on the citruses, CDG. Too bad the Goutal Vetiver and the Caron 3rd Man aren't available--I sure agree with Ruggles that they're really special.

But what's it all matter, CDG? There will be a next time and another round of samplings. You'll pick up other samples as you come across them. No biggie, and you'll test all of these soon enough.

Declaration is good, but as a top flight mass-market general appeal scent. I think it's got great cardamom in it, buuuuut, it just doesn't step into the realm of special for me. It works, and is without problems, but I think the vetivers and other classics you're considering sing better to me than Declaration does. It will be an easier one for you to test when you pass a fragrance shop or department store fragrance counter. No need to use this chance to sample it now.

DustB:
    I sure will look into AG vertiver and 3MAN the next time around.

I suppose there's always another time even though I 've decided to call off searching for the perfect scent for now so I chose to believe.

Come to think of it, Declaration is easily obtainable where I live, so there's no point in sampling.

Thanks again for steering my in the right direction where I wanted to go. I am the type who places a lot of stock in first impression, I suppose a lot of rookies are,too. I can't not afford to spend much time and effort looking for a suitable scent as opposed to one that's highly artistic/worth sampling but utterly unwearable/not meeting my needs. Thus knowing where to start is a make-or-break.

I will place my order when I get back 3 hours after, any suggestions please keep them coming, thanks in advance.

Just received my 5ml samples, they threw in a 1ml Caron pour un homme,too

So far I've tried Encre Noire, I just wanna think whoever recommended me this, I love it! That is precisely my definition of comfort, it's so me! super dry and smoky, with a hint of green! And it only gets stronger by each second. Is this vertiver? if it is, i think I've just become a fan of it.

Also dabbed a little of Caron Pour Un Homme, confirmed my disliking of lavender, smells like a softer version of Oxford*Cambridge, although it turns creamier. Thank god I don't like it.
    Last edited by CDG; 16th July 2009 at 04:17 AM.