Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm not in love anymore, how to reignite the passion?

For the last few months I have no burning desire to purchase perfume, I seem to buy a lot of perfumes lately that were left lower on the list of ' I must get this' .

The few I have on my wishlist that I really adore are just too expensive to buy and I need my kicks and thrills on a regular basis so saving is very tricky for me. This means Party in Manhattan is not going to be purchased anytime soon.

But I know there are darlings available for less but I just can't seem to get excited about most of them.

Carnal Flower really brought this home for me, I heard so much about it. Everyone loved it, described as a powerhouse tuberose, spray with caution etc

I wore it and noted 3 other notes that made it different to Fracas.

I just need to fall in love again with a sample and be delighted when I get the bottle in my greedy hands.

Notes I'm over:
    jasmine
    tuberose
    vanilla
    amber
    basic leathers

What do you guys think will wow me again? My latest wow was Rose Brulant from PG and Im ordering the Rosine line to see if there is something close to Rose Brulant in there before making a choice.

I'm already thinking of just ordering back ups of all my current top loves in my current collection.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'm not in love anymore, how to reignite the passion?

I would say you are in luck! If there's nothing else that you'd want to get, just seat back, relax and enjoy the scents you already own!

(sorry this is not too helpful! But acquisition for acquisition's sake just does not seem to make you happy.)

Well, I do have a fragrance that wowed me recently - Tauer Rose Chypree - if you like rose, it will be worth a sample.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Post Thanks / Like

I go through phases...sometimes I'll visit something I had an obsession over in the past, but generally I move on. Lately it's been mimosa...before that it was violet, etc. etc. I think it's a natural progression.

I tend to always go back to musks though...I think there's still so much to be done with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the opening but the rest didn't wow me that much. I liked Mahora a bit more but it's still not something that has me head over heels. It's good but I don't go crazy for it.

I don't mind any suggestions though to sample.

Does anyone else feel guilty about not wearing each scent in their collection on a regular basis? I always try to forget how many I have now and how little I wear some of them.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you could make use of this time by re-experiencing your wardrobe...fine tune it, and see what's missing that could round it out. See what isn't working for you anylonger. You know, like tending to a garden.
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 10th August 2009 at 05:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd advise exploring genres you haven't explored before. Say, if you've "done" tuberose, don't move towards a similar indolic floral like jasmine or orange flower, but rather something totally different, like nutmeg or opoponax or tomato leaf. Sample stuff that sounds interesting to you but different than what you already know you like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Maybe you could make use of this time by re-experiencing your wardrobe...fine tune it, and see what's missing that could round it out. See what isn't working for you anylonger. You know, like tending to a garden.
    That's a great suggestion!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post

Does anyone else feel guilty about not wearing each scent in their collection on a regular basis? I always try to forget how many I have now and how little I wear some of them.
    Lian - PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH ANY GUILT to your passion for fragrance (even if you feel less than passionate of late). Passions, like dreams and goals, are what sweeten up our lives !!!!!! Keep them joyful. We should have a rule at Basenotes that prohibits us from allowing guilt to contaminate our joy.

I think many of us leave certain scents untouched, perhaps for long periods of time. Then one sultry summer day or nostalgic autumn morning, you remember a scent that you haven't wanted to wear, and it's the absolute PERFECT fragrance for the day. I believe every scent we own has a place in our lives.

I too went through a dip in excitement about fragrances lately. I didn't buy a thing, and just put the whole passion on hold. I'm just coming back to it. I guess sometimes other things need to take more priority.
    Last edited by pomander; 10th August 2009 at 06:12 PM.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

I am burned out by the number of new releases and their descriptions, meant to be enticing, turn me off, as do their prices. I ignore them. I no longer seek anything out. Plus, I've noticed that as I go along, the relationships between frags. in the same families become clearer and the individual scents less distinct. This lets me weed a lot of things out.

In total agreement with pomander about remembering a scent and finding it sublime at a certain random point. Datura Noir was that way for me last fall.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I am burned out by the number of new releases and their descriptions, meant to be enticing, turn me off, as do their prices. I ignore them. I no longer seek anything out. Plus, I've noticed that as I go along, the relationships between frags. in the same families become clearer and the individual scents less distinct. This lets me weed a lot of things out.
    I feel somewhat the same- the new releases don't hold much interest for me. I've gotten abit bored and cynical with sampling - high hopes dashed and a few more dollars poorer.
    I still have a great deal of passion for perfume but I'm trying to consolidate a bit more, weed out the passing loves too.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. I am currently bored with the idea of sampling. Last month I had to have Bois Farine, but that burning desire is much rarer these days. I am grateful because of the recession, but I also am waiting to be blown away, and I can only be blown away by something reasonably priced.

I find myself going through similar phases, a perfume ennui, if you will. During those times I tend to go backwards and look for treasures that could have been missed. It also helps me realize what I have in my collection that I don't love, that during moments of impulse I perhaps hoarded

Looked through your wardrobe...how do you feel about violets? As well, I recently stumbled across a sample of Cruel Gardenia that made me swoon- just when I'd been thinking nothing would. Odd notes- like in Melograno- have also intrigued. I agree with Sofresh- it is kind of development and as time goes on sometimes we just move forward, leaving some scents behind.

I think it's easy to get in a rut- nose fatigue even. Sometimes just taking a break from all of them helps

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

3xasif- I don't know for whom the violet question is for but I was crazy for violets last year - I still love violets but it doesn't pull me like it used too. I still have violet plants, clothes and two violet sapphires - that crazy about violets - the color and perfume. I just feel like I have grown, perfume wise since then .
    Creed's Love In Black disappointed me - I nearly bought it unsniffed - I found it messy . Borsari smells like green bananas on me .

Perfume ennui is not a bad thing- it makes you look wiser and deeper at what you have and why you have it. I do have a much greater love for certain perfumes in my wardrobe now.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 11th August 2009 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    3xasif- I don't know for whom the violet question is for but I was crazy for violets last year - I still love violets but it doesn't pull me like it used too. I still have violet plants, clothes and two violet sapphires - that crazy about violets - the color and perfume. I just feel like I have grown, perfume wise since then .
    Creed's Love In Black disappointed me - I nearly bought it unsniffed - I found it messy . Borsari smells like green bananas on me .

Perfume ennui is not a bad thing- it makes you look wiser and deeper at what you have and why you have it. I do have a much greater love for certain perfumes in my wardrobe now.
    I was crazy for violets last year too! Apres l'Ondee, Meteorites and Drole de Rose are really the only ones that stayed with me(TDC Parfums de Sens et Bois a close third) Love In Black was so chilly and oddly woody, it was not for me at all. Borsari (and most violet soliflores) were sharp- green bananas is a great way to describe it. Meteorites is the exception....I think violets awoke a love of powdery clean scents for me.

Um, violet sapphires? Now that sounds like instant love
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 11th August 2009 at 02:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This has turned into such an interesting thread. I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts. The ennui passes. I think just go with it, actually. There are times when we need to pull back to reconsider, to re-charge ourselves. Sometimes I get bored with sampling and those are the times I concentrate on enjoying what I already have in full bottles that I've been neglecting because of so much sampling. Then I get bored with those and go back to sampling. Sometimes it's nice to revisit the ones I've been hoarding and decide whether or not they're really keepers. Then I think, "well maybe it's just a mood, I loved it once, won't I again?" so back into the closet it goes to sit another year. It's a vicious cycle. My dream is to get to the point where I've honed and refined my wardrobe so that there are just a few - maybe six or four - bottles that I really love enough to use regularly. To use up. Or maybe that's just an extension of the quest for the Holy Grail (which for me no longer exists). I'm looking for only four or six holy grails this time around.

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion as well would be: rediscover what you already own. This is of course assuming you have quite a collection. I do this every so often, just pull out things that are lurking in the back of the closet and rediscover why I loved them so much in the first place. I have ~90 bottles, so things don't get worn too often during the year. I also have quite a few neglected samples, so I always have something "new" to try.

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely purchase scent, even more rare is it for me to purchase a new scent. Now that we are home buying i will not be purchasing scent for a very long time, unless it is something i really need, will be finishing soon, for a phenomenal price on ebay ($9.99 with $5.00 shipping is the limit). I just enjoy all the wonderful things i have already, being a creature of habit this is very easy for me, not so much for others.
    Maybe you could just purchase sample sets, so you could really try a broad range of scents and then spend some time narrowing them down to one or two you really love. Good luck
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Post Thanks / Like

One other suggestion -- you can set up a goal of wearing all the scents you have for a day and then writing a review for the directory. With 60+ fragrances in your collection, that will keep you busy for 2 months!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    I was crazy for violets last year too! Apres l'Ondee, Meteorites and Drole de Rose are really the only ones that stayed with me(TDC Parfums de Sens et Bois a close third) Love In Black was so chilly and oddly woody, it was not for me at all. Borsari (and most violet soliflores) were sharp- green bananas is a great way to describe it. Meteorites is the exception....I think violets awoke a love of powdery clean scents for me.

Um, violet sapphires? Now that sounds like instant love
    3xasif - I'm enabling you re. violet sapphires- they are really gorgeous !

Apres L'Ondee- wonderful wonderful wonderful -so wonderful I could not wear it and I sold my bottles- silly don't you think ?
    I had been to Harrods in London ,I took a short cut through Hyde Park and I could not stand it... I had these bottles of Apres L'Ondee just bought , I literally , tore off the wrap and sprayed myself whilst walking through Hyde park ! A great memory.

Caron's Aimez Moi was lovely too but when I tried it....I was also in the presence of Tabac Blond and En Avion and all the great Guerlains - so I just did not get any pull for it.

Hi Kess. Yes, writing for the directory is a good thing too. I do kind of keep a private blog about scents and I do my own embarrassing reviews for myself ...like how much I love love love Jicky and Fracas etc etc etc. Now I'm turning red !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 11th August 2009 at 08:17 PM.