Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance of Space?

I may have been watching too much Sci Fi but it's been on my mind lately. What sort of fragrance would encapsulate Babylon 5 or Deep Space 9 "all alone in the night?" Starships in the cold, dark reaches of space, alien ambassadors, traders, explorers, dead worlds, new civilizations...?

Alien, (go figure) Zagorsk and The Unicorn Spell all have a chill, brittle note to them but my experience with fragrance is limited. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.
    Your friend is your needs answered. He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fragrance of Space?

CdG Stephen Jones is space rocks and violets, apparently. I don't know what space smells like, but this smells like cold, dark violets with ground, wet rocks
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Quote Originally Posted by lovethescents View Post
    CdG Stephen Jones is space rocks and violets, apparently. I don't know what space smells like, but this smells like cold, dark violets with ground, wet rocks
    I just read the description of it and I am delighted beyond words to see "meteorite" listed as a note. This is going on my sample list.
    Your friend is your needs answered. He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.

S-ex by S-Perfume
    Odeur 53 by Comme des Garcons

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Encre Noire! Smells like vast dark spaces.

Great thread! I like the ideas so far. Let me suggest Frederic Malle Dans Tes Bras. It's not cold and dark, but it's so different that it seems like it came from another planet!

Post Thanks / Like

Encre Noire is a great suggestion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    I just read the description of it and I am delighted beyond words to see "meteorite" listed as a note. This is going on my sample list.
    I would almost suggest Guerlain Les Météorites (discontinued EDT, but you can still get it online), except that it's sort of "down-to-earth" in its violet. I think violet is an excellent "space note", however, so Neil Morris Spectral Violet is pretty cold and spacy. But the sure winner for me would be Neil Morris Vapor. My immediate impression was "the smell of the stratosphere", if that makes any sense. Definitely interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I would almost suggest Guerlain Les Météorites (discontinued EDT, but you can still get it online), except that it's sort of "down-to-earth" in its violet. I think violet is an excellent "space note", however, so Neil Morris Spectral Violet is pretty cold and spacy. But the sure winner for me would be Neil Morris Vapor. My immediate impression was "the smell of the stratosphere", if that makes any sense. Definitely interesting stuff.
    RP, I thought of Vapor, too! I sure haven't figured that fragrance out yet. It IS pretty "out there" to my nose.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Stephen Jones, but while it is almost electric to my nose, it's like a neon sign rather than a space ship, and it smells almost too happy to bring to mind the distant reaches of space.

I'm actually going to name a fragrance I don't like - Porsche Design Essence. It smells like refrigerated air, and not in a good way. It's the kind of cold, synthetic-nothing smell I'd expect in a spaceship.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 9th August 2009 at 03:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK, so it's a candle and not a scent, but to take you literally, check out Cire Trudon Odeur De Lune.

I'm such a geek, I find this fascinating.

Apparently, when we landed on the moon, they took samples of just about everything they could get their hands on - rocks, the "soil", what little atmosphere they have (mostly dust kicked up by the landing itself).

As part of the study of the samples, scientists ran them through a spectrometer, the same technology perfumers use to recreate the scents of flowers or whatever. Of course, they published their findings in scientific journals.

Later, Cire Trudon, who are apparently a bit geeky too, read these spectrometer reports and became obsessed with recreating the smell of the moon, using different odor chemicals to recreate the peaks and valleys on the spectroscopy report the same way they would to recreate a rare flower.

And they made a scented candle out of the result.

I've smelled it (they carry them at Aedes and Barneys) and it's actually quite gross.

If you think about it, perfume is the smell of life - everything we enjoy smelling is either alive (flowers, fruits, wood, musk, moss) or dead (the decaying smell of indoles or dirt or the dried out smell of old wood). The moon has none of that and never has. It has the mineral smell of the actual minerals that make it up, and nothing else. Amplified and in candle form, it's pretty much the ultimate anti-perfume.

But at some point, I'd still like to pick up the candle, just because I'm that much of a geek...
    Last edited by rogalal; 9th August 2009 at 06:49 PM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like

My first thought would be the CdG Odeurs and their Synthetic series. After some consideration I would probably add Escentric Molecules to that.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Escentric Molecules Molecule 01 - sort of abstract space.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great suggestions, and I'm sorry I don't have any to add, but I thought I'd mention that there have been news articles over the years discussing the smell of space. This recent article references former NASA astronaut Thomas Jones:

"When you repressurize the airlock and get out of your suit, there is a distinct odor of ozone, a faint acrid smell," Jones told SPACE.com, adding that the smell is also similar to burnt gunpowder or the ozone smell of electrical equipment.

Here also is an interview with chemist Steve Pearce, who has been commissioned by NASA to reproduce the smell of space. They don't actually begin discussing space until page two.

When astronauts come in from a spacewalk and remove their helmets, they've reported smells of "seared steak," "hot metal" and "arc welding on their motorbike."
    These are all consistent descriptions, not flukes. That lead us to conclude that the sensation is caused by some high-energy vibrations in particles brought back inside which mix with the air.
    And that product is then presented to the astronaut as they breathe it in.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Great suggestions, and I'm sorry I don't have any to add, but I thought I'd mention that there have been news articles over the years discussing the smell of space. This recent article references former NASA astronaut Thomas Jones:

"When you repressurize the airlock and get out of your suit, there is a distinct odor of ozone, a faint acrid smell," Jones told SPACE.com, adding that the smell is also similar to burnt gunpowder or the ozone smell of electrical equipment.

Here also is an interview with chemist Steve Pearce, who has been commissioned by NASA to reproduce the smell of space. They don't actually begin discussing space until page two.

When astronauts come in from a spacewalk and remove their helmets, they've reported smells of "seared steak," "hot metal" and "arc welding on their motorbike."
    These are all consistent descriptions, not flukes. That lead us to conclude that the sensation is caused by some high-energy vibrations in particles brought back inside which mix with the air.
    Sounds a bit like CdG Skai.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    OK, so it's a candle and not a scent, but to take you literally, check out Cire Trudon Odeur De Lune.

I'm such a geek, I find this fascinating.

Apparently, when we landed on the moon, they took samples of just about everything they could get their hands on - rocks, the "soil", what little atmosphere they have (mostly dust kicked up by the landing itself).

As part of the study of the samples, scientists ran them through a spectrometer, the same technology perfumers use to recreate the scents of flowers or whatever. Of course, they published their findings in scientific journals.

Later, Cire Trudon, who are apparently a bit geeky too, read these spectrometer reports and became obsessed with recreating the smell of the moon, using different odor chemicals to recreate the peaks and valleys on the spectroscopy report the same way they would to recreate a rare flower.

I've smelled it (they carry them at Aedes and Barneys) and it's actually quite gross.

If you think about it, perfume is the smell of life - everything we enjoy smelling is either alive (flowers, fruits, wood, musk, moss) or dead (the decaying smell of indoles or dirt or the dried out smell of old wood). The moon has none of that and never has. It has the mineral smell of the actual minerals that make it up, and nothing else. Amplified and in candle form, it's pretty much the ultimate anti-perfume.

But at some point, I'd still like to pick up the candle, just because I'm that much of a geek...

That's so fascinating! Thanks for the info
    I'm looking forward to smell that candle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That candle sounds AMAZING, I have to track it down.

I would suggest Bulgari Black, but not because of the rubbery part (which I don't get actually). It think Black has a kind of static nature like it is stuck in one place, and yet, soft and melancholy/yearning or simple like the dark sky & stars are from a distance. It is also warm (ambery) and yet cool (anise & powder), which I think adds a juxtaposition to the abstraction of space -- peace, fear and excitment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    S-ex by S-Perfume
    Odeur 53 by Comme des Garcons
    These are the first that came to my mind too...and I'll ad Mugler Cologne.

Post Thanks / Like

In space no one can smell you.

Sorry, couldn't resist paraphrasing one of the greatest movie tag lines ever. Plus, I am big fan of H.R. Giger and Alien.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post

In space no one can smell you.

Sorry, couldn't resist paraphrasing one of the greatest movie tag lines ever. Plus, I am big fan of H.R. Giger and Alien.
    LOL! (and definitely on Giger and his creations!)

Talking Re: Fragrance of Space?

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post

I'm a huge geek too and I want that candle!! I could close my eyes and pretend I'm on a colony on one of Jupiter's moons.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post

Confirmation for Turin's theory of smell. Good for him!