Code of Conduct

Default My head is spinning.....

From looking at all of the fragrances available! So far I have compiled a list from reccpmendations to look at, but I'm afraid everything I'm looking at is very "mainstream" (everyone has it)? I don't really know what I prefer yet (all I own is unforgiveable), and I don't really know how to figure out tones. How long did it take most of you to figure out what tones you liked? Frankly, I am extremely overwhelmed looking at the local fragrance stores and trying to smell EVERYTHING. I really just need some advice. I want to do this right. I'm at a bit of a speed bump

Chris

If anyone wants to see, here's the list I compiled...

Chanel Antaeus
    Chanel Egoiste
    Escada Magnetism-
    Creed Milisime Imperial
    Polo Double Black
    YSL M7
    Narciso Rodriguez
    Bvlgari Black
    Bvlgari Aqua
    Any Burberry
    Leau Por Kenzo
    212*
    Body Kouros
    Dreamer
    Paco Rabanne XS
    A*Men
    Azarro Chrome
    Green Irish Tweed
    Milisime Imperial

Default Re: My head is spinning.....

Chanel Antaeus
    Chanel Egoiste
    Escada Magnetism-
    Creed Milisime Imperial
    Polo Double Black // A bit mainstream
    YSL M7
    Narciso Rodriguez // A bit
    Bvlgari Black // A bit
    Bvlgari Aqua // Abit
    Any Burberry // Mainstream
    Leau Por Kenzo // Very Mainstream
    212*
    Body Kouros
    Dreamer
    Paco Rabanne XS
    A*Men
    Azarro Chrome // A bit mainstream
    Green Irish Tweed
    Milisime Imperial

The rest are very distinctive. (And awesome )
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I understand really well how u feel Chris. I was the same way when i started. I have tried and own most of the frags on your list. Some of them i like some i don't. Its a very subjective thing what scents each person likes. I made the mistake of buying a lot the ones that were labeled classics and modern classics...in the end i realised fragrance is subjective. I realised i love fresh/aquatic scents. Although i also like orientals and leathers. So don't develop a mindset like "niche always better than designer" or "all aquatics smell the same", just try and sample everything and decide for yourself what u like.

Don't blind buy too much because this hobby can place a high strain on your finances. anyway your list looks good. Its a good list to start with. My favourites fr the list are Paco Xs, Egoiste, Bulgari Aqua and M7. Good luck to u Chris !

I think you mean notes (or "accords") rather than tones. I bought a bunch of real "cheapos" that got good BN reviews but that were different and it took me a few months to get the major "masculine" notes established in my "mind's nose." Rather than worry about notes (because it's impossible to know what you are going to like now, or even a couple of months from now), I suggest you figure out how "rough" you want your frags to be. For example, I like strong and rich frags with "soft" edges, whereas it is clearly the case that many BNers like frags with "hard edges." It really doesn't matter whether they are "niche" or not, though niche frags are generally rougher, whereas designer tends to have more of a soft-focus, blended quality. From all I've read over the last couple of years, this distinction is the one I think is most important. Even though some notes I really dislike, it's only a problem when that note is too strong (lavender, anise, geranium, in my case), and it's sometimes very hard to tell if that is the case from a review. The other issue is whether you like a rich/deep frag, or whether you like "thinner" ones, such as most aquatics (Horizon is an exception, for example).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th July 2009 at 05:01 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Take your time, this is not a race.

Test all of the fragrances on your list, before buying them. You've listed some great scents that have a lot of potential for becoming great additions to your fragrance wardrobe. But what really counts is how you like them. Good luck.

I figured I would buy testers of all of the tones (and pick up what I can for free). Is that the best idea? I figure spending $3-$4.00 on a tester is a heck of a lot better than spending $40+ on full bottles. Its just very tough, because once you read about all of the popular ones, there are a bunch of foreign/international ones that may be great, but arent popular... Ugh.

Also, do I have a lot of different notes in my list?

Ohhmygod, I am looking forward to the samples. I appreciate everyones advice!

Also, just tried Michael Kors and WOW. Im in love

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Take your time, this is not a race.

Test all of the fragrances on your list, before buying them. You've listed some great scents that have a lot of potential for becoming great additions to your fragrance wardrobe. But what really counts is how you like them. Good luck.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ kovalchuk71 listen to Mike ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk71 View Post
    Ohhmygod, I am looking forward to the samples. I appreciate everyones advice!

Also, just tried Michael Kors and WOW. Im in love
    I agree with Andy: Mike sure is stating the best path.

But Michael Kors is a great one for sure. Nothing wrong with that--it's dense and complex. Really spins a whole world, and a different one from other scents. It's killer when you come across one that gives you that kind of thrill.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Oh, and I meant to say Bigsly is talking straight up good logic too. He's exactly right that scent hunting isn't so much about figuring out notes, tones, combinations, or ways to talk about scents--that all comes before you know it once you've done some experimenting. The first and only real test is using the nose. Don't worry about words to describe scents, you'll be doing that before you know it. The real thing is messing around with the nostrils.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    But Michael Kors is a great one for sure. Nothing wrong with that--it's dense and complex. Really spins a whole world, and a different one from other scents. It's killer when you come across one that gives you that kind of thrill.
    I'd agree with that, Michael is a strange fragrance. To me it's underpriced and it doesn't smell like a "designer" fragrance.

In fact I still can't work out why I haven't bought a FB of this yet.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Along the lines of this list, if I ever had to trim down my perfume choices, I'd go for (but it's strictly my personal taste and thus not even a suggestion or recommendation):

Chanel Antaeus
    Chanel Egoiste
    YSL M7
    Paco Rabanne XS
    Azzaro Chrome
    Green Irish Tweed
    Milisime Imperial

Ken_Russell's shortened version of your list is, to me, a trimmed down, less overwhelming version of your original.

Even in a city like Glasgow here I could easily try them all in a day at stores, with the exception of Egoiste.