Code of Conduct

Lightbulb shelf life symbol (12M)

i've been told that every new perfume now bears this symbol, i assume it's a trashcan, with a number of months on it, that we all can happily ignore.
    but the interesting part is, that this would mean that in the future we can tell whether or not a perfume was made before or after 2009. and aren't there are lot of terrible new ingredient restrictions from the ifra going to enter the eu law from 01-2010 on?
    please comment.

Default Re: shelf life symbol (12M)

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    i've been told that every new perfume now bears this symbol, i assume it's a trashcan, with a number of months on it, that we all can happily ignore.
    but the interesting part is, that this would mean that in the future we can tell whether or not a perfume was made before or after 2009. and aren't there are lot of terrible new ingredient restrictions from the ifra going to enter the eu law from 01-2010 on?
    please comment.
    So, you've been told, but not seen this symbol? I suspect in that case your information is wrong on several counts I'm afraid.

I'm guessing this is actually the European Cosmetics Direction, which has been "in" a lot longer that this year, in fact from 11 March 2005.

The European Cosmetics Directive.

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/cosme...open_label.htm

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/cosme...ee20040419.pdf

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/cosme..._2005_2_en.pdf

Durable cosmetics, those with a shelf life of at least 30 months, are in the majority. Even so, some consumers want to know how long an opened product can be kept.

A symbol introduced by the industry in conjunction with European Union guidelines recommends the length of time a product remains useable after opening. This period is referred to as the ‘period after opening’ (PAO). The period is given as a number of months and is marked with a letter ‘M’ under or within the ‘open jar’ symbol. When a PAO symbol is required this will appear on the product itself and on the outside packaging.

In practice, most cosmetic and personal care products are formulated to ensure that they are safe to use and have a shelf-life which far exceeds the normal time it would take to use all the product.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 13th July 2009 at 04:40 AM.

The symbol you are reffering to is this....

This is now on products because it is a legality and in my opinion means no more than a suggested use by date on a carton of milk. Its a suggestion. I use milk past the use by date if it isn't off. Same should apply to other products.

The only fragrance I own which has this is Cordovan by Banana Republic (I've seen it on newly produced Knize scents too) but its 36M and not 12M. That doesn't actually mean that my scent will go "off" and should be binned in 3 years.

Ask anyone around who own vintage Guerlains or Chanels or even really old Eau de Colognes.
    Last edited by Andyjreid; 13th July 2009 at 10:37 AM.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

am i being so unclear? or are you guys not reading very well?

anyway! i did not know the date the symbol was introduced, thanks for that. according to my source, a shopkeeper, every perfume that comes in from distribution now has it. is that bit wrong? it would be valuable to know, because of above mentioned reason (as a guide point for dating your bottle, in order to determine the formula, which is the reason why i started this thread in the first place)

Well in that case, in regards to your original post you you wouldn't be able to tell whether it was made after 2009 because the symbol was introduced in 2005. Second point the IFRA are always going to push to change ingredients because someone in a white coat says its unsafe or some hippy who needs a wash will say its bad for the environment/hurts animals. Etc etc.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

yes. the introduction of this symbol does not represent a date but a period. this period seems to span approx 4 years.

if your beloved parfum was badly reformulated very recently, or will be today or tomorrow, then at least you can sort out which bottles are still good.

Yea I know what you mean about re-formulation however I'd hazard a guess that there have been a lot more re-formulations performed behind closed doors than we'd know about.

Basenotes Institution

Well, you see... I learn something new here eveyday ! Now I know what that symbol means - thanks ! It's on all the Dior, Clarins , L'Oreal skin care products etc.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Does anyone know if this symbol has been mandatory since 2005 or is mandatory now? And is it (or will it be) required in the US, Asia, Australia, etc. just the same as in Europe? Sometimes regulatory requirements are phased in. If I have a bottle without the symbol, does that prove it was manufactured before 2005?

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    Does anyone know if this symbol has been mandatory since 2005 or is mandatory now? And is it (or will it be) required in the US, Asia, Australia, etc. just the same as in Europe? Sometimes regulatory requirements are phased in. If I have a bottle without the symbol, does that prove it was manufactured before 2005?

The labelling requirement covers cosmetic products placed on the European market from 11 March 2005 onwards. For a transitional period, labelled and unlabelled products will therefore be available on the market until stocks of the “old” products have sold out.

The “period of time after opening” must be indicated on products with a shelf life of 30 months or more. For products with a shelf life of 30 months or less the minimum shelf life must be stated; i.e. the date up until which the product, kept under the right conditions, can continue to fulfil its initial function without any harm to human health.

The new labelling will not cover:
    - products not at risk of deterioration;
    - products which do not open (such as products in sealed packaging, or sprays)
    - or products which are intended to be used only once.

A bottle (or packaging) without the symbol does not prove a pre-2005 manufacture date.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 14th July 2009 at 12:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    The new labelling will not cover:- products which do not open (such as products in sealed packaging, or sprays).
    That seems to imply that spray bottles of perfume or cologne won't have the new labels. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks.

Spray bottles of fragrance do have these symbols now... But of course fragrance will last a lot longer than 12 months! I have a bottle of CdG Cologne which my brother bought 15 years ago (which has been kept in the fridge) and it still appears to be in perfect condition.