Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances for College

Hey everyone, I was curious what fragrances out there are "sweeter", but project well and last fairly long? I am in college, and am afraid such fragrances like Michael Kors, Gucci Envy, etc. will scare people off. I read on here that the college crowd enjoys sweeter fragrances so here I am. Or am I wrong? Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by kovalchuk71; 13th July 2009 at 08:17 AM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Fragrances for College

What fragrances do YOU like?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Kovalchuk71,
    We're sort of geared to suggesting that members try out fragrances themselves, and pick from those they try which they think are right. The idea is that YOU pick your fragrances and then project what you think is great OUT to the world (in this case the college students around you), rather than first starting out with what the world around you (college students) likes and then through a reversal of tastes (theirs to your) finding something you'll like.

No scent inherently scares anyone off, by the way. We've got no idea what scents will send anyone away from you--scared off--any more than we'd know what would please your nose. Maybe individuals dislike Michael Kors or Gucci Envy, but to generalize against those scents because of said individuals wouldn't really make sense. If you happen to go for those scents, live it up in them or make other decisions based on your comfort. There's no science behind certain scents driving anyone away though.

The most reliable is to go smelling and see what appeals to you.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Sweeter colognes worth a smell:

A*Men
    Opium ph
    Animale Animale
    Rochas man

try Bonds New Harleem

Geir Cologne will last forever, is sweet and has good sillage. It's a bit like (as one BNer put it) "winter green tic tacs meet Pepto Bismol". Smells better than that description. Better in cooler weather.

Creed Original Santal - Good, sweet, lasts a long time.
    Last edited by adonis; 14th July 2009 at 12:46 AM.

I'd go along with Creed Original Santal.

Hello Kovalchuk,

I would suggest that you wear whatever you like in moderation. Perhaps a bright scent, not too heavy or musky? The trend seems to be clean smelling scents, while a lot of musk, vanilla, or florals seem to offend people (like the people at my work who gripe about scents).

From my perspective-I attend college as well- I don't mind people wafting by on their way into class as long as the frag isn't terrible. In fact, it's fun to guess what they're wearing or to decide whether I like it
    Last edited by misscasey; 14th July 2009 at 03:07 PM.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport (warmer weather), & Body Kouros (colder weather) are two of my favorites. Good luck with your search

Acqua Di Gio is perhaps the greatest college type scent...you'll smell amazing, trust me. It smells very fresh and young too, so not fuddy duddy either. You should check it out.

The that i use for and I find its great for college is Allure Homme Sport. It is sweet and sporty. Another one that I think fits great for college is Gucci II.

ADG or AF Fierce.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

i wear 212 on ice, cool water & diesel (not always)

Well, to be honest, I've been in college for years now, and I always wear the 'old man' colognes. If you want to stand out, and not just blend in like every other dude, try for an established cologne.

You won't smell like you are playing make-believe, or trying to act 'mature.' I prefer the spicier scents because they work for my skin type (somewhat oily); I recommend almost anything my Guerlain to REALLY stand out. Vetiver is a must for hot summer days.

And, to brag just-a-little, I once wore Creed Bois de Portugal to a library study session with a girl I was interested in. As I was explaining some historical concept and pointing to my book, she leaned closer and closer... and closer!
    So, sure, it's an 'old man' cologne. It's stuffy and spicy and as far as you can get from an artificial melon-lime-rum-sweet-as-candy scent. And yet it created quite an impression.

And, for the record, my girlfriend HATES Acqua di Gio because: 'everyone wears that damned scent. it's weak and played out.'

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Acqua Di Gio is perhaps the greatest college type scent...you'll smell amazing, trust me. It smells very fresh and young too, so not fuddy duddy either. You should check it out.
    Maybe if he wants to smell like every date rapist bathed in lemon bleach on campus, perhaps.

HAHAHAHA.

I really don't want Aqua Di Gio. Just because of the "everyone wears it" motto I hear everywhere. That and Curve.

As for some colognes, I bought samples of Antaeus, Egoiste, M7, and Body Kouros. I loved the BK and the Antaeus. I Also picked up a 100ml bottle of Magnetism for $20 at TjMaxx today

Any more suggestions would be great!
    Looking to trade:
    Gucci Pour Homme 1.7oz 99% full.

Looking for:
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanillae, Tom Ford Black Orchid, A*MEN Pure Malt

I'm going to college too For me it depends on the season.. since it's summer I prefer green, fresh frags (which to the dismay of some here on the board are really popular right now ) Ones that I like : Lacoste - Style in Play, 212 (on Ice is good as well), YSL L'Homme, Gucci Pour Homme II, and Herrera for Men

Well... I was in college not too long ago (those were the days, enjoy them!!!). The two I liked a lot were Platinum Egoiste and Azzaro Chrome. The PE is definitely a try before you buy. I found it made me feel a lot of confidence, but others really don't like it. The chrome is extremely long lasting, and for me at least projected very well at a crowded party. It will give you the fresh citrus without smelling like everyone else.

Now... depending on where you go to school, your social group, and your desires, you might find it interesting to venture out a little more. Green Irish Tweed and Original Santal by Creed are both very nice and I believe fit your needs. A little more expensive, but you'll be able to smell the difference. Most of the college crowd hasn't heard of Creed, which gives you the added benefit of a conversation opener if someone (girls ) compliments you on it.

Bottom line is this: You need to like it, on you. Something that people like in general may small awful on your skin. In addition, if you like it, you will show more confidence. Remember, shower before you try one on, this can affect the scent.

I'm going to stop before this post gets too long, but please, feel free to PM me if you would like further advice.

Quote Originally Posted by chris8519 View Post
    Well, to be honest, I've been in college for years now, and I always wear the 'old man' colognes. If you want to stand out, and not just blend in like every other dude, try for an established cologne.

You won't smell like you are playing make-believe, or trying to act 'mature.' I prefer the spicier scents because they work for my skin type (somewhat oily); I recommend almost anything my Guerlain to REALLY stand out. Vetiver is a must for hot summer days.

And, to brag just-a-little, I once wore Creed Bois de Portugal to a library study session with a girl I was interested in. As I was explaining some historical concept and pointing to my book, she leaned closer and closer... and closer!
    So, sure, it's an 'old man' cologne. It's stuffy and spicy and as far as you can get from an artificial melon-lime-rum-sweet-as-candy scent. And yet it created quite an impression.

And, for the record, my girlfriend HATES Acqua di Gio because: 'everyone wears that damned scent. it's weak and played out.'
    I really think, I could be wrong, that more people in your age group are going to rebel, so to speak, by moving towards some of the more traditional scents, even the classics. Don't get me wrong, while there are a few aquatics I like and can understand the appeal to some extent of lighter scents, I think the way to go is in the direction of some of the claasic or even stronger scents, with lighter applications.

It's well worth trying.