Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down Customs & Canada Post "Destroyed" My Bois d'Orage!

To those I haven't already shared my woeful tale with, I ordered a 100ml bottle of Frederic Malle's Bois d'Orage (9%) from eBay.

My two favorite FM fragrances are Vetiver Extraordinaire and Bois d'Orage, with Musc Ravageur in there somewhere. I paid retail for VE but didn't want to shell out the cash for Bd'O.

Anyhow, I received a letter from Canada Customs Border Services notifying me that the contents of my package were "un-mailable" and "prohibited" - and as such, they would be sent to Canada Post to be disposed of.

I called Canada Post to ask if they could retrieve the seized package and return it to the sender, who graciously refunded me the entire amount, including shipping. Today I'm going to call again to see if they were able to do it, but I really doubt it. I was told "no promises, but we'll try".

I know this is just one more horror story on top of a list of others, but man was I ever pissed off. Possibly more disappointed than pissed off, but still. I guess it's an unfortunate reminder that these things get scrutinized - especially by Canada Customs.

Default Re: Customs & Canada Post "Destroyed" My Bois d'Orage!

This is seriously the first time I've ever heard of Canada customs destroying a fragrance

Now I'm worried, heh, considering how much stuff I buy from the US

It is well and truly infuriating that people these days aren't allowed to make a rational decision either. The fear that has been put into people by terrorism etc is unbelieveable.

"Oh no, it's a liquid package from another country..... it HAS TO BE a bomb/anthrax/plague" etc

Surely, for one split second, your postman/postal service could have looked at the package and have uttered some stupid words like "oh man, its just aftershave. cool."

No no no, that involves free thought.......

I shant go on.

P.S. Im not missing something like any legality with buying items like this into Canada am I?
    Last edited by Andyjreid; 13th July 2009 at 10:58 AM.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

I'm sorry to hear this. I know how frustrated you feel. If fragrance is really considered as dangerous goods how could stores in many countries import fragrance made in France or Italy? Or those weren't shipped by air? Someone please shed some light on me. I'm way too curious of how they transfer fragrance to different countries.

P.S. I'm not trying to hijack this thread

P.S. 2 - Thai customs never seized or destroyed fragrance but took it as theirs sometimes! (I didn't use the word 'steal'.)
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

About 4 or 5 years ago on another board we where doing a bottle split. The buyer of the bottle lived in Canada and ordered from Germany. Creed Angelique Encens which was on a great deal even with the exchange rate of euro to Canadian dollar. It arrived at Canadian customers and was destoryed by them.

The buyer and the rest of us where very upset and the blame was laid on the German online store who did not follow the shipping guidelines for perfume to Canada. Most online stores just pack it up and ship, but Canadian customs are very very very very strict and will destory if not followed and all the i's dotted and ts crossed. They want it sent by ship and not airmail for a start.
    Last edited by donna255; 13th July 2009 at 11:16 AM.
    DONNA

I've posted to Canada from Scotland before and the customs slip was a lot more detailed than the US one. The package took a full 2 weeks to arrive in Canada but we wewre both releived when it got there.

i have shipped to Canada before without any hassles. in this case..my only doubt is that the Malle bottle would've had the customs perplxed...9% conc, those Labels like laboratory stickers etc etc... just a wild guess coz i know the bottes i sent across were frisked by the customs and were let thru...only in cases where they arent sure about the product they might do some like it....

btw AnthonyDG - you are one lucky guy...it was really kind of the seller to refund the entire sum back...

I wonder why such mixed results shipping to Canada?

I have never had a problem shipping fragrance to Canada. I send them First Class Mail and they cost about the same as mailing Priority Mail within the U.S. and takes a week to arrive. I've sent dozens without a problem. It seems to me that more attention is paid to packages that are sent by more expensive means and when a higher dollar is declared on them.

The only package that I have had mailed to me that was ever inspected was sent from a German store who insisted on mailing it air mail ($30 for shipping!). The package was x rayed and opened and thoroughly gone through. It took an extra two weeks to arrive (3 weeks total time). However, every First Class, inexpensive shipment, that I have mailed to Germany or to anywhere in the EU or Canada has gone through without ever a second look or any delay.

No problems in shipping to Canada here either, touchwood. There was a delay once, but no such incident of the frag getting destroyed so far.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

That is a very cool ebay seller to refund the price, but unfortunately that's why some sellers don't ship outside the US. I've heard of stories like this before with Canada. The key is to declare (and have the shipper declare) cosmetics or even 'collectible glass bottle' on the customs form. Some sellers will not lie on customs forms and that is their absolute right, but even Strawberrynet.com declares 'cosmetics.' The key is to work with the seller to make sure they're cool with fudging the customs form.

The rationale, I believe, is not terrorism related but rther that alcohol is flammable and thus dangerous on planes. Yes, totally far fetched but that's what it is.

AnthonyDG, I hear you. I was the same boat last year when I got a bottle of French Lover off eBay UK. It was "intercepted" by customs and subsequently destroyed. Of course, the seller declared it as cologne despite my numerous requests not to do so. Canada customs has specific restrictions in handling flammable substances (fragrance included). FedEx and UPS will do it provided that you declare it as hazmat "hazardous material", but it would cost more to ship. Canada customs handle around thousands of packages every day. As a suggestion only, the way to go around it is to use cosmetics and/or body lotion in the declaration form. You are quite lucky to get your refund. Frankly, the minute the item has left the shipper's hand, his/her duty as a seller is completed. I got half of my money back in my transaction. Better luck next time!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    To those I haven't already shared my woeful tale with, I ordered a 100ml bottle of Frederic Malle's Bois d'Orage (9%) from eBay.

My two favorite FM fragrances are Vetiver Extraordinaire and Bois d'Orage, with Musc Ravageur in there somewhere. I paid retail for VE but didn't want to shell out the cash for Bd'O.

Anyhow, I received a letter from Canada Customs Border Services notifying me that the contents of my package were "un-mailable" and "prohibited" - and as such, they would be sent to Canada Post to be disposed of.

I called Canada Post to ask if they could retrieve the seized package and return it to the sender, who graciously refunded me the entire amount, including shipping. Today I'm going to call again to see if they were able to do it, but I really doubt it. I was told "no promises, but we'll try".

I know this is just one more horror story on top of a list of others, but man was I ever pissed off. Possibly more disappointed than pissed off, but still. I guess it's an unfortunate reminder that these things get scrutinized - especially by Canada Customs.
    Perhaps the guy at customs reads Basenotes and destroyed it on purpose due to the ongoing bashing of designer fragrances in favour of niche. Think so ?

No seriously Anthony, I do feel bad for you. That's a good line of fragrances ( Malle) and they are not cheap. I am very concerned about having packages shipped into Canada , although I have been "lucky". In the future try to have the sender label the package as something more vague.

Quote Originally Posted by alacious View Post
    This is seriously the first time I've ever heard of Canada customs destroying a fragrance

Now I'm worried, heh, considering how much stuff I buy from the US
    It is against Canada custom laws to have fragrances shipped into and out of the country my the average customer. Unfortunatly . Puts Canadians at a big disadvantage.

I'm still waiting on the vintage Guerlain Shalimar (1oz) Extrait that was sent to me from the United Statese (June 1st).

This is the last week I'm waiting, the seller has already agreed to give me a refund, but we're waiting this week out to see if maybe it will arrive. (crosses fingers).

I can't understand though if it doesn't arrive, where it is now, I mean, they aren't going to destroy vintage Guerlain?!?! Strangest thing is that the USPS can't give a clear answer as to where the package is!

Blog Entries

If you declare it Haz Mat it costs at least $30. Which is insane because, what is that, a fine? Special handling fee? Bomb squad? What do they do with it that costs so much? It's a racket. An excuse to gouge and they wonder why people don't travel as much. I avoid it like the plague.

I got smtg from Ayala Moriel (Canada) marked 'aroma therapy', but those are sample sized vials. Probably a big bottle with a heavy black cap looks suspicious in a pckg. Think of the Flower Bomb that looks like a hand grenade !!! except the juice is pink.
    Last edited by kumquat; 13th July 2009 at 08:57 PM.

Sorry to hear about that mate...I know though you've got a full refund it still hurts a bit since you don't want the money but the fragrance...Apart from that it is a setback for all your future purchases as you may not be lucky with a refund if something goes wrong in the future.

I have shipped around 6-7 packages to Canada and so far *touchwood* I have had no issues. The buyers in Canada though are extremely cautious and are a worried lot until the package is delivered. I remember once I did a swap here with an 'old' member in Canada. He gave out a date to me on which he supposedly shipped his bottle to me...I had shipped mine too, around that date...He received my package in about 10 days and when his package didn't arrive with me, I started worrying a bit...I got in touch with him and he asked me to be 'patient'....Yeah right the package arrived after another 10 days or so...Why? coz this basenoter shipped it after his part, after he received the package that I had sent...I could see the shipping date on the package very clearly ...I never really pursued it with him..I thought it wasn't worth it...

but this just shows that buyers in Canada are always quite unsure until their stuff arrives.

Thanks for the compassion everyone

I should have mentioned that I've never had this happen in the many years I've been sending and receiving fragrances throughout the world.

We're probably talking one package out of over 200 - so I guess I developed a false sense of security and just assumed it would arrive. Bummer... now I'm on the hunt for Bois d'Orage again, though I really doubt I'll be able to get such a good deal.

Ah yes, off to call Canada Post now and see if they were kind enough to not "destroy" this bottle and return it to the sender! Let me put in a kind word for the eBay seller "thewholedamshow-2007".

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I have received almost my entire wardrobe from around the world and never had any issues with receiving any items (fingers crossed).

The form must be meticulously filled out by the sender and I always check with the seller beforehand if they can ensure that they can fill it out completely. If they can't ensure that the form is filled out correctly then I typically do not buy from them.

For the very occasional deal that I can't pass up I use a border service in Niagara Falls.

Fragrancenet ships to Canada with duties and taxes included and I have always received all of my items without any hassle or complication.

I should have mentioned that I've never had this happen in the many years I've been sending and receiving fragrances throughout the world.

We're probably talking one package out of over 200 - so I guess I developed a false sense of security and just assumed it would arrive. Bummer... now I'm on the hunt for Bois d'Orage again, though I really doubt I'll be able to get such a good deal.

Ah yes, off to call Canada Post now and see if they were kind enough to not "destroy" this bottle and return it to the sender! Let me put in a kind word for the eBay seller "thewholedamshow-2007".
    Chances are they won't be able to tell you. I was told it was destroyed right away. What a waste! Bought it from thewholedamshow-2007 before as well, he seems to get a lot of FM scents.

Ha ha just remember they are only telling you that it's been destroyed. Some person could be making his or her self a very nice fragrance collection.

About the fragrance though (called French Lover here in the UK) I had a sample of the older 7% version and although i really liked the opening I really didn't care for the drydown too much. Are there any noticable differences between the 7% version and the 9% version?

I've bought from that seller many times - very professional.

You know, I've only tried the 7% and was a bit disappointed with its longevity. The 9% I've heard is much better, which is why I was really excited to hear they increased the concentration.

And absolutely - there's some lucky guy at Canada Post wearing my Bois d'Orage. Maybe I'll look on the brighter side of things and wonder if he'll end up becoming a future BN'er

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    Ha ha just remember they are only telling you that it's been destroyed. Some person could be making his or her self a very nice fragrance collection.

About the fragrance though (called French Lover here in the UK) I had a sample of the older 7% version and although i really liked the opening I really didn't care for the drydown too much. Are there any noticable differences between the 7% version and the 9% version?

Indeed.. I called today and they told me that "regretfully, it has been 'destroyed' and there is nothing else we can do."

The seller (Armando) is a really nice guy with perfect feedback. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him just based on the way he graciously handled my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Chances are they won't be able to tell you. I was told it was destroyed right away. What a waste! Bought it from thewholedamshow-2007 before as well, he seems to get a lot of FM scents.

Can you give me details about this border service? I refuse to use UPS with their outrageous "brokerage fees" - not to mention they ALWAYS collect taxes on the declared amount.

As Kumquat said, it is $30-50 to use a courier to send a "hazardous material". A total money grab, but in the case where you get a great deal it might be worth going through the motions on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdown View Post
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

I have received almost my entire wardrobe from around the world and never had any issues with receiving any items (fingers crossed).

The form must be meticulously filled out by the sender and I always check with the seller beforehand if they can ensure that they can fill it out completely. If they can't ensure that the form is filled out correctly then I typically do not buy from them.

For the very occasional deal that I can't pass up I use a border service in Niagara Falls.

Fragrancenet ships to Canada with duties and taxes included and I have always received all of my items without any hassle or complication.

Ask the seller to ship it regular mail without any tracking number or insurance. Write used cosmetics as the description and declare it with a low value (25 dollars or less), and you'll receive your package 100% of the time.

Blog Entries

That's what I do, too. No red flags. Like 'Fragile', or even 'Liquid'. It's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Just use plenty of stretchy blue masking (painter's) tape to seal vials & bubble-wrap!

Low value & mark it 'Gift'. 'Used' means it has been opened. Cosmetics could be a hundred diff things.

I have had a bad experience with Canadian post and customs as well. I ordered some Oud and oil perfumes from paradise perfumes based in Canada way back in April, and didnt recieve them at all. Lucky for me I had paid by paypal and eventually got a refund. I have a feeling they were opened and kept by customs, either Canadian or Irish, probably because of their 'exotic' look. It is nearly four months now and no package. I have bought from all around the world with no problems before,is the peculiar to Canada perhaps?
    Revenge is Tribute

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    I'm still waiting on the vintage Guerlain Shalimar (1oz) Extrait that was sent to me from the United Statese (June 1st).

This is the last week I'm waiting, the seller has already agreed to give me a refund, but we're waiting this week out to see if maybe it will arrive. (crosses fingers).

I can't understand though if it doesn't arrive, where it is now, I mean, they aren't going to destroy vintage Guerlain?!?! Strangest thing is that the USPS can't give a clear answer as to where the package is!
    They don't care if it is vintage or even what that means. They get it they will destory it.
    DONNA

Canadian Customs = Best smelling Customs dept in the world
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Ask the seller to ship it regular mail without any tracking number or insurance. Write used cosmetics as the description and declare it with a low value (25 dollars or less), and you'll receive your package 100% of the time.
    +1

Recently bought a good priced bottle from a fellow bner - I thought it was great deal - alas - forgot to tell him to send it via regular mail and mark it used cosmetic or Used Sample- my fault - I thought he would know

He sent it via courier, marked the custom form Fragrance, Fragile cost $80 - I ended up paying 35$ duty on it
    Last edited by achanna; 14th July 2009 at 07:39 PM.
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

It's all pretty strange. I bought a bottle of C.K Truth off of e-bay. The guy sent it in a Huge box that could hold around 50 boxes or more. He marked the customs declaration as cologne. I recieved the parcel! Go figure!

Arrow Re: Customs & Canada Post "Destroyed" My Bois d'Orage!

Well, I see this is an older post, but seeing as I'm new here, and this is the whole reason why I opened an account with Basenotes, this is what I have to say: I, too, have had the exact problem with customs 'destroying' perfumes I've ordered from the US. In fact, in MY experience, I've ordered a total of about 12 fragrances, with 5, yes, 5 that were 'destroyed' by Customs!!! And I never even got my money back for any of them at all! So for the past 3 or 4 years, I haven't even ordered fragrances from the US or overseas because (for very good reason), I just can't trust that I'll get it. But it just bothers me because there aren't many Canadian Sellers who sell the perfumes I like, like Flowerbomb, and such. However, I'm alittle anxious to retry, asking the seller to declare it 'cosmetics', or 'collectable glass bottle', as someone mentioned, because there are soo many US sellers who offer a much wider variety of scents for a much better price. I just hope that doing this works. And if anyone has any other 'pointers', please!, let me know!

I receive tons of perfumes from the US and around the world, and I live in Canada, and I have had no problems from Canadian customs. Nor has anyone I know. I'd love to see what these packages look like (or sound like) that raises a flag. I'd blame poor packaging before Canada Customs. Are their policies a surprise or mystery? Is no one familiar with them? It's not terrorism, it's flammable goods they are worried about.

Hazardous goods are hazardous goods. So, every package shipped is a risk- to anywhere. Do not mark them "perfume" "liquid" or anything else that could raise a flag. When shipping out, I put smiley faces next to the names of my beloved recipients or precious little heart (unicorns?lol) stickers to make the package look like a gift. I have added corn kernels or a package of Tic Tacs to disguise swishing liquid sounds. And I always mark it "used cosmetics" with the post office and never get insurance.

The only troubles I have had have been with USPS confiscating a package on it's way to me from the US- on 2 occasions USPS has fined the US sender for shipping undeclared hazardous goods AND confiscated the package. One of those packages was going to a US shipping address so it was within the US for heaven's sake. Singapore customs sent me an empty bubble wrap envelope after they had removed the contents, and they declared as much on the envelope they repackaged it with. Wtf?

One thing that totally pisses me off is UPS. They charge $40 just to walk across the US/ Canada border.

Blog Entries

'Used' means it's been opened and 'Cosmetics' could be a thousand chemical concoctions so technically you're covered. I don't put a value higher than $20. That way I think they don't look at it that closely. Also, if you can possibly pack it in a bubble wrap envelope, it is cheaper than if you put it in a box. Even a small box costs a lot more than a soft envelope.

Haven't dealt w/ Canadian customs have ya ?

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I wonder why such mixed results shipping to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    'Used' means it's been opened and 'Cosmetics' could be a thousand chemical concoctions so technically you're covered. I don't put a value higher than $20. That way I think they don't look at it that closely. Also, if you can possibly pack it in a bubble wrap envelope, it is cheaper than if you put it in a box. Even a small box costs a lot more than a soft envelope.
    This exactly. It's how I send everything to Canada but if a bottle doesn't fit in a bubble envelope I use the newer Small Flat Rate boxes that can be used for International packages. Fast and cheap.

Probably upset it wasn't maple syrup.

so far no problems
    just to make one thing clear
    its better to mark used?
    I usually just mark other and cosmetics with low value
    thanks guys!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

It seems that anything I send out of Canada to any other country arrives - flawlessly. I'm not sure why Canada Customs is so nasty, though one guess would be that both Canada Post and Customs Border Services are overstaffed (in tune with a somewhat bloated bureaucracy).

My questions.. why can't they "return to sender" or offer to have a courier take the package back to the sender? They could make some serious cash on this - even slapping a fine on. I'd hate to pay it, but I'd also hate to lose a vintage/rare fragrance and have a letter telling me it was "destroyed".

Quote Originally Posted by RobynC View Post
    ... I, too, have had the exact problem with customs 'destroying' perfumes I've ordered from the US. In fact, in MY experience, I've ordered a total of about 12 fragrances, with 5, yes, 5 that were 'destroyed' by Customs!!! And I never even got my money back for any of them at all! So for the past 3 or 4 years, I haven't even ordered fragrances from the US or overseas because (for very good reason), I just can't trust that I'll get it. But it just bothers me because there aren't many Canadian Sellers who sell the perfumes I like, like Flowerbomb, and such. However, I'm alittle anxious to retry, asking the seller to declare it 'cosmetics', or 'collectable glass bottle', as someone mentioned, because there are soo many US sellers who offer a much wider variety of scents for a much better price....]
    Sorry to hear of your bad experience. However, Canada Post does state that perfumes are not allowed to cross the border. You just have to make sure the sender/shipper labels the package accordingly ( ie what SirSlarty and others have said in this thread). And obviously no one is gonna give you back your money, you just cannot expect that.

For Canadian sellers who have good selection, you just have to do your research and ask around. It all depends on where you live, really. Also, there are a few eBay sellers from Canada, so recieving from them should not be an issue.

Again, the key for me is how the package is labelled when recieving from over the boarder.

It seems that anything I send out of Canada to any other country arrives - flawlessly. I'm not sure why Canada Customs is so nasty, though one guess would be that both Canada Post and Customs Border Services are overstaffed (in tune with a somewhat bloated bureaucracy)...
    I don't think Canada Customs are nasty, they just enforce the rules they have in place ( unfortunatly, that means destroying a very good fragrance ) . They are not overstaffed at all and don't really know where your idea of them being a "...bloated bureaucracy..." came from, other than you being upset.

Without getting off-topic here and making politics the #1 issue, I'm certainly not opposed to the folks at CBSA who keep us safe.

I'm all for enforcing rules & regulations that are designed to keep us safe. But I don't think for a second this is a safety issue when you look at the risks. Practically speaking, these regulations are in place because of money, namely tax revenue that isn't collected and quotas that aren't met.

We have lots of folks who feel it's productive to penalize the successful in order to create more levels of interference via public sector "departments". I won't retract my statements about CSBA being part of that machine.

The bloated bureaucracy comment comes from one man's opinion that the less government we have, the less interfering in the private sector or personal affairs. No anger, sir, apparently just a clash in ideologies. Clearly I will offend those working for the Canadian government with these comments, but I'm just not prepared to debate that here. PM me if you'd like, and I'll be glad to share some statistics with you from my investigations.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I don't think Canada Customs are nasty, they just enforce the rules they have in place ( unfortunatly, that means destroying a very good fragrance ) . They are not overstaffed at all and don't really know where your idea of them being a "...bloated bureaucracy..." came from, other than you being upset.

Without getting off-topic here and making politics the #1 issue, I'm certainly not opposed to the folks at CBSA who keep us safe.

I'm all for enforcing rules & regulations that are designed to keep us safe. But I don't think for a second this is a safety issue when you look at the risks. Practically speaking, these regulations are in place because of money, namely tax revenue that isn't collected and quotas that aren't met.

We have lots of folks who feel it's productive to penalize the successful in order to create more levels of interference via public sector "departments". I won't retract my statements about CSBA being part of that machine.

The bloated bureaucracy comment comes from one man's opinion that the less government we have, the less interfering in the private sector or personal affairs. No anger, sir, apparently just a clash in ideologies. Clearly I will offend those working for the Canadian government with these comments, but I'm just not prepared to debate that here. PM me if you'd like, and I'll be glad to share some statistics with you from my investigations.
    Well at least we can both agree on "...I'm all for enforcing rules & regulations that are designed to keep us safe. But I don't think for a second this is a safety issue when you look at the risks..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    Probably upset it wasn't maple syrup.
    If it was coming from the US, they were probably afraid it was a package of guns.

I'm frankly shocked that people are so surprised by public policy that has been around forever. Cash grab? It's the government people. Caveat emptor.
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 6th August 2009 at 10:47 PM.

I wasn't so much shocked as I was disappointed even knowing the risk was there. The eBay seller was very fair and generous with his response to the incident, though I have no idea how/where I'll get another bottle for the same great price.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    If it was coming from the US, they were probably afraid it was a package of guns.

I'm frankly shocked that people are so surprised by public policy that has been around forever. Cash grab? It's the government people. Caveat emptor.

I guess I just don't remember any incidents where a cargo plane/truck has exploded or been compromised because of fragrances being mailed.. no issues I can recall that would have set the "no fragrance" precedent.

Where is Murder City anyway? If it's in Canada I may have lived there. Does it start with a "W"?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Well at least we can both agree on "...I'm all for enforcing rules & regulations that are designed to keep us safe. But I don't think for a second this is a safety issue when you look at the risks..."

I wasn't so much shocked as I was disappointed even knowing the risk was there. The eBay seller was very fair and generous with his response to the incident, though I have no idea how/where I'll get another bottle for the same great price.
    Your reaction is totally understandable. So sorry you had such a crappy experience, but what a stand-up eBay seller.

Its the generalized vitriol directed at Canada Customs and government bureaucracy in this thread that is surprising me. Nasty & juvenile comments, and lots of whining, with no helpful advice offered to avoid the problem. Maple syrup? Give me a break. Is everyone really so ignorant and so surprised? Maybe because I am familiar with importing and exporting retail and wholesale goods none of these experiences surprise me, but is everyone here a newbie with regards to getting off market goods shipped over international borders?

If you do not buy from a licensed retailer and it is clear to Customs that perfume is in the box, it will be confiscated. Try to take your 200ml Chanel Exclusif on a plane and the same thing will happen. It is however, much easier to circumvent the shipping guidelines- but be aware, you are still breaking rules and taking a chance. Ebay sellers are not licensed retailers, at least not recognized by Customs Canada.

Does this thread fall under "Men's Fragrances" because of Bois d'Orage?

I guess I just don't remember any incidents where a cargo plane/truck has exploded or been compromised because of fragrances being mailed.. no issues I can recall that would have set the "no fragrance" precedent...
    Me neither. I don't like the rule as well. If I am not mistaken, Austrailia and a few other western countries have similar rules. I always see with ebay sellers that they do not ship to Germany

And no, I don't think you have ever lived in Murder City

The Germany thing is, they are not allowed to ship fragrance or cosmetics which are not seal in their original packaging into there.
    DONNA

Indeed.. the maple syrup comment wasn't in good taste, in my opinion. Being an American living in Canada I've seen a lot of the back and forth vitriol, stereotyping and ignorance from both sides.

Insofar as the political aspect to the discussions I understand they don't belong here, and I apologize if I've offended anybody with my take/opinion on these matters. I originally posted this in the "Male Fragrance Discussion" but didn't mean to start any fires.

And in closing, you're absolutely right about having to accept the risk when circumventing the rules and regulations. At that point you surrender a degree of your legitimacy whether you feel the rules apply to you or not. I appreciate your words and empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Your reaction is totally understandable. So sorry you had such a crappy experience, but what a stand-up eBay seller.

Its the generalized vitriol directed at Canada Customs and government bureaucracy in this thread that is surprising me. Nasty & juvenile comments, and lots of whining, with no helpful advice offered to avoid the problem. Maple syrup? Give me a break. Is everyone really so ignorant and so surprised? Maybe because I am familiar with importing and exporting retail and wholesale goods none of these experiences surprise me, but is everyone here a newbie with regards to getting off market goods shipped over international borders?

If you do not buy from a licensed retailer and it is clear to Customs that perfume is in the box, it will be confiscated. Try to take your 200ml Chanel Exclusif on a plane and the same thing will happen. It is however, much easier to circumvent the shipping guidelines- but be aware, you are still breaking rules and taking a chance. Ebay sellers are not licensed retailers, at least not recognized by Customs Canada.

Does this thread fall under "Men's Fragrances" because of Bois d'Orage?

I feel your pain, I just lost a bottle of Coffee by Mugler and Diesel Fuel for Men Summer Edition both from the UK, different sellers but both used Royal Mail International Signed for shipping. Did not get a refund and was not expecting one since the seller did his job. But It does sting ! Customs is making it harder for me now, but I am never buying from UK sellers again.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by L"homme View Post
    I feel your pain, I just lost a bottle of Coffee by Mugler and Diesel Fuel for Men Summer Edition both from the UK, different sellers but both used Royal Mail International Signed for shipping. Did not get a refund and was not expecting one since the seller did his job. But It does sting ! Customs is making it harder for me now, but I am never buying from UK sellers again.

This really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    This really sucks.
    yea it does and I have a bottle of Mugler Pure Malt coming from the UK at the moment, I'm crossing my fingers that it will be in my arms and not destroyed.

Canadian customs are going to destroy my Fendi Theorema. I got the letter today. Just in time for Christmas. I've been sent at least 15 bottles of perfume and it's the discontinued one that they choose to capture and destroy. Also beaty encounter won't refund the money. It was the first time I'd bought anything from them and it will definitely be the last.

I have lost about three or four packages out of over two hundreds, in the past years.
    But I only got the letter from the Customs once.
    In the other cases, I think the customs agent just decided to keep the stuff for himself...
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Same to me whit my Ho so waited for Chirstian Lacroix Nuit I m so in rage now I can see clearly soooooooooo upset now

i'm about to ship out a split of aventus to canada tomorrow and this thread had me freaking out a little

Do they randomly check packages or do they read on the customs form that someone wrote "fragrance".

Ive probably posted more than 100 packages to Canada and so far none have been seized.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I believe they do random check as well. I watch Nothing To Declare the Aussie reality show about their customs. I will say Canada and every other country is the same. They will pull out packages which look suspicious, but everything goes through an xray conveyor belt.

Last year SpaceNK London had a sale, I am in Belfast(part of the UK) like one hour flight. So got CdG Daphne 70% off and the package arrived with a yellow and black tape which said perfume and hazard not by air mail! Even posting with in the UK if you say its perfume to post office will tell you, "No you cannot post this." It is suppose to go by courtier service, where you will get the yellow and black tape. Stores it seems have a licence to ship.

Harrods refused to sell me a bottle of En Avion, because the courtier could not cross water! I asked if they were vampires by any chance, she didn't see the joke. The Caron Paris boutique had no problem and it arrived like two days later.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Do they randomly check packages or do they read on the customs form that someone wrote "fragrance".

Ive probably posted more than 100 packages to Canada and so far none have been seized.
    From what I've been seeing, I believe they check the area where the "contents" of the package is required. One should put "cosmetic samples" in that area.

I've received all packages from TPC, ALZD, PP and STC with no problems.

I wouldnt be surprised at spot checks though.

Cheers Rex
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

It's a crap shoot when ordering from non-US sellers.