Code of Conduct

Default Everclear 151 - Enough Proof for Diluting Oil?

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject. I did a search for Everclear 151 and not a lot turned up. Since 151 is the highest one can buy in Cali, is the alcohol content enough for frag making? I bought some concentrated fragrance oil from Save on Scents and I'm hoping I can dilute it with 151.

Many thanks.

Default Re: Everclear 151 - Enough Proof for Diluting Oil?

You can use it, but I would really recommend a good perfumer's alcohol. Try Snowdrift, they have good prices and excellent CS. And I note they extended their sale on alcohol through the 19th, they are all 25% off. http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/perfume.html

I second Outlandish, you won't get a strong concentration with anything less that 190 proof. As you try more and more oils, the more restricted you will be if you are still using 151 everclear. Perfumers denatured alcohol isn't very expensive, snowdrift farms has a good one.

Thanks guys (and gals). Which of the various alcohols listed would you recommend? The concentrated oil I bought is clean, fresh, and clear.
    Last edited by adonis; 16th July 2009 at 06:20 AM.

If you are making JUST oil based scents (fragrance oil + alcohol), I'd definitely go for the Artisan's alcohol. I think Snowdrift's recommendations about which to use for your specific intended product is dead on. HTH!

Does anyone know, where can I buy perfumer's alcohol in Canada, preferably Toronto? Thanks.