Code of Conduct

Default "Gateway drug" scents for the newbies and newbies of the future!

This thread is kind of a carryover from another discussion...the issue at hand is the very narrow range of notes we find in most heavily marketed fragrances these days. Lots of aquatics for men and sugary gourmands for women....but we don't all want a clone of Cool Water or Angel!

So, what fragrances to you recommend to new perfume lovers? What about people who don't wear scent at all?

I'll start with a few: One poster on the other thread mentioned that a good many bright young women he knows prefer to wear patchouli oil or nothing at all. But, perhaps these young women only know the perfume that is being marketed to them, and so they wrongly assume that scent has nothing to offer....Well, if I were dishing out some decants to these ladies, I'd start with some Chanel Coromandel for an elegant type of patchouli note, and Serge Lutens Serge Noir for a complex unisex day version.

Also mentioned on the other thread was that sales associates no longer encourage people to wait for the drydown...they want you to buy the bottle before you walk away from the counter, so consumers don't know to reserve judgement on a scent before they have worn it for at LEAST an hour or two. So, that's a bit of advice for perfume lovers to be as well....And, I'd also add that this makes Bond No 9's Chinatown an interesting experiment for those who do respond to an immediate blast of sweet topnotes. Lure in the newbies with the sweet opening, teach them to love complexity with the warm drydown, Mwahahahah!

Default Re: "Gateway drug" scents for the newbies and newbies of the future!

This Thread is perfect

I have a Elementary school aged little sister

who I recently got "hooked" first it was a 50% off bottle of Victoria's Secret Oh La La

nothing much 15$ my sister just spent her allowence on it

but then on a vacation to California I decided to go to the San Francisco Barney's

she came out with a laundry list of things she's going to "save up" for

CdG Jasmal

Malle's Musc Ravegeur

L'artisan L'eau D'ambre

Costume Nationale 21

Serge Lutens Chergui

and with her birthday coming up she told my mom that the only present she wants is a bottle of L'artisan L'eau D'ambre

I can tell you right now my Moms a cross between ticked off and amused at how quickly you can get addicted

PS

I got my mom hooked on La Labo Vetiver 46 about 4 months ago

my Dad got hooked on GIT about 1 month ago

looks like I'm the dealer
    Last edited by lightgreen22; 14th July 2009 at 04:12 AM.
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    Also mentioned on the other thread was that sales associates no longer encourage people to wait for the drydown...they want you to buy the bottle before you walk away from the counter, so consumers don't know to reserve judgement on a scent before they have worn it for at LEAST an hour or two. So, that's a bit of advice for perfume lovers to be as well....And, I'd also add that this makes Bond No 9's Chinatown an interesting experiment for those who do respond to an immediate blast of sweet topnotes. Lure in the newbies with the sweet opening, teach them to love complexity with the warm drydown, Mwahahahah!
    I went to a Jo Malone counter recently and the SA refused to decant anything for me or give me a sample vial. The only thing offered was a strip of paper on which the scent was sprayed. I also expressed dismay that all the bottles were labelled "cologne." I am an EDT and EDP woman. The SA said that is what they were called and did not seem to know the difference.

I *never* buy based on how a fragrance smells on paper! I sprayed it on my skin and then let it settle out. The SA seemed a bit disappointed that I walked off to judge the scent from its drydown.

OTOH, the Bond No. 9 SA was happy to give me samples and let me try them at home and at my leisure.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Ah, my personal 'gateway drug' was a sample order I received from L'Artisan: all the scents were so original and "non-flowery-musky-perfumy" that it really opened my eyes to the world beyond a Macy's perfume counter.

As far as the lines I'd recommend to new parfumistas (leaning feminine since that's what my experience has mostly been) I have two that come to mind:

Parfum d’Empire line is really nice! My favorites are: Osmanthus Interdit (leathery-creamy osmanthus); Equistrius (iris suede); Cuir Ottoman (yummy leather); Ambre Russ (boozy amber). These scents are pretty unique and very wearable. I wish I had a bottle of all 4! Also Yuzu Fou for citrus notes & Eau Suave for a saffron rose are worth trying. Eau de Gloire is a nice incense.

Another very enjoable line is Parfums de Nicolai -- all superbly crafted, yet accessible and wearable. My personal favorites are: Odalisque; Vanille Tonka; Mimosa´que; Sacrebleu; New York.
    Last edited by kess; 14th July 2009 at 05:51 PM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894