Code of Conduct

Default Ralph Lauren Polo Blue... Basenotes Thoughts ?

To be frank I never enjoyed Ralph Lauren's line.EVER ! Never really liked them. But this month with my GQ magazine they had a scent strip of Ralph Lauren Blue, and I actually liked it. Now I keep going back to the magazine thinking there's no way I enjoyed that scent, but I am , and now thinking of purchasing a bottle.

Your thoughts on this fragrance or the Ralph Lauren line

Should I or should'nt I ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ralph Lauren Polo Blue... Basenotes Thoughts ?

If u like how it smells on your skin then by all means buy it.

Polo Blue was my only cologne for 2 years. Till this day i have half left in my 100ml bottle. I tried so hard to finish it that i even used as a room freshener after smoking in my room. PB is not a bad fragrance but in terms of aquatics there are so many better out there. So before u buy PB maybe u can try Davidoff Cool Water Deep which is a better version of PB. IMHO of course.

Others in the Ralph Lauren line worth exploring are Polo Modern Reserve and Polo Double Black. Modern Reserve smells really classy and green to me. I'm actually looking to get a bottle. Double Black is quite liked here but i personally don't like it.

You certainly caught the fragrance buy didn't you.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 14th July 2009 at 11:49 AM.

One thing with this Blue, the longervity is too bad. Besides, don't believe what you smell in the magazines :P Just try it on your skin, not on any kind of paper.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

If you like it, then by all means get it. But you really should test it on your skin - not judge the way it smells from a magazine.

I personally don't care for it. I really only like the older Ralph Lauren scents - Polo (original), Safari, Crest, Monogram.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th July 2009 at 12:09 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I had it before and I liked it, not a master piece but not bad at all. My favorite is Polo classic followed by Polo modern reserve.
    Polo double blacks has a fruity note that bothers me. I like Polo black better. I guess Polo is being trashed for the sake of being a very commercial designers brand.
    Now if you ask me about BOSS, I will say that I do not like at all any of their fragrances and I had them all (my ex ex girlfriend had a thing for Boss, so I got them as presents all the time)
    Polo Blue is good nothing wrong with it, at least to my nose.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll echo everyone else's thoughts. : if you like it by all means go for it.

Personally I never liked the melon topnotes or drydown. If you're looking for a modern RL both Black and Double Black are far more interesting. Of course the original and Modern Reserve are pretty good themselves (and the retired scents Crest and Monogram, too).

Post Thanks / Like

I used to own this and 'grew out' of it. Itd be interesting to try it again, but I think some of the memories of ex-girlfriends associated with it would prevent me ever buying it again. It is definitely a crowd-pleaser, you won't find many 'mainstream' people that wont like it.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone who said that the scented strip from magazine cannot be trusted, and it's true.

I have tried several scents that way and I can say it's not as same as, or even close to the real thing on your skin. However, the scented strip always smells better
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Very commonly used over here, I bet you can probably get something more bang for the buck.

I'd think that would be one which you should be able to try out in a department store fairly easily to try for yourself rather than rely on a scent strip. I quite like it but there are duration problems with it on my skin. I'm not familiar with Cool Water Deep, but it is along the Cool Water line, a little more aquatic and berry like for me.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Love: Double Black, Green & Modern Reserve, Explorer
    Like: Polo Black
    Hate: Polo Blue, Romance & Romance Silver

In fact I'm looking to sell or swap my 4.2 ounce bottle of Polo Blue... PM me if interested

Post Thanks / Like

I like it and am a staunch defender when people lay claims that it's generic, yet, forgetting it was perhaps at the forefront of the whole color/aquatic phenom earlier this decade. Sure, there are other aquatics out there, like AdG, but there was an explosion of them after Polo launched theirs.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Post Thanks / Like

I went throught 2 straight bottles of Polo Blue in my early College days. I loved the smell, but the longevity was very poor. Lots of compliments, but these days it is far too common around these woods. As well, I need much more longevity in a fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Polo blue never really did anything for me. Polo DB on the other hand...

Post Thanks / Like

I love Black and, to a lesser extent, Double Black but have never tried Blue. Why don't you try it out and tell us what you think?

Thanks.

Never cared for it.

To me, Polo Blue is in the same line as AdG or L'Eau d'Issey. Except worse.

Never been a fan of Polo Blue on my skin. Turns aquatic + bitter. Lately, I've reunited with Polo Purple Label... love the opening, the dry down, but longevity just sucks.

One of my favorite RL scents....lasts on me all day.....very nice for summer.
    Gary

I actually have very good longevity on Polo Blue. Its one of my favorite warm weather scents and I wouldnt have my wardrobe without it. Try it out and judge for yourself.

If I were you I'd grab a bottle of Unbound by Halston and save some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If I were you I'd grab a bottle of Unbound by Halston and save some money.
    This.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L"homme View Post
    To be frank I never enjoyed Ralph Lauren's line.EVER ! Never really liked them. But this month with my GQ magazine they had a scent strip of Ralph Lauren Blue, and I actually liked it. Now I keep going back to the magazine thinking there's no way I enjoyed that scent, but I am , and now thinking of purchasing a bottle.

Your thoughts on this fragrance or the Ralph Lauren line

Should I or should'nt I ?
    I think pretty much the same. I think that Polo Blue is the best, it is the only Lauren frag that I purchased. The only other 2 Laurens that I can think of is Safari and Double Black. I think that they are decent, I wouldn't buy them myself but I think that they are okay. The rest of the Lauren stuff sucks. Maybe Green is okay, but Blue is definitely the best IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about most people but Polo Blue lasts a lot on me, like 8-9 hours, and it is lasts longer in the summer.

I like my Polo Blue, its one of the scents I use for the office. Day fragrance, very safe, its aquatic nature gets compliments from the "mainstream" - young ladies, secretaries hehe. Certainly not a frag if you want to be a stand-out (ie cool, different, alternative etc)...I wear it for client presentations when I want to feel young, confident, and not-so-pissed with the world

Post Thanks / Like

really guys, Polo Blue it aint that bad. It has somehow a distinct twist.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dynastyd95 View Post
    Love: Double Black, Green & Modern Reserve, Explorer
    I"m dying to try Modern Reserve, especially that it popped up at our net-shop. Alas, they don't have a sample to sell, and I won't blind buy never ever If anybody could offer a sample for some say Amouage, Carthusia, Villoresi, Profumi Forte samples, I'm eager to hear it

Tried it on my skin and it was not bad at all on my skin, even with the really warm weather over here, so I went ahead and bought a bottle

I am laughing to myself that people are still talking about Old Spice, Aramis, and Cool Water. These are scents that I grew up with and I love to see them still being mentioned. Although my taste for fragrances has evolved, I can still appreciate peoples love for these fragrances. My personal favorites are Bond No 9 Coney Island and Kenzo Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I had it before and I liked it, not a master piece but not bad at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by funhuntr View Post
    I like my Polo Blue, its one of the scents I use for the office. Day fragrance, very safe,
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    I like it and am a staunch defender when people lay claims that it's generic, yet, forgetting it was perhaps at the forefront of the whole color/aquatic phenom earlier this decade. Sure, there are other aquatics out there, like AdG, but there was an explosion of them after Polo launched theirs.
    Polo Blue did not start the explosion of aquatic scents by any means. Polo Blue = 2002. Acqua di Gio = 1996. If anything, Polo Blue was a latecomer to the party.

Anyway, Bath & Body Works' C. O. Bigelow Barber line has one fragrance, Elixir Green, that smells to me like a copy of Polo Blue. You might like that, and it's certainly less expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 55karl View Post
    I am laughing to myself that people are still talking about Old Spice, Aramis, and Cool Water. These are scents that I grew up with and I love to see them still being mentioned. Although my taste for fragrances has evolved, I can still appreciate peoples love for these fragrances. My personal favorites are Bond No 9 Coney Island and Kenzo Pour Homme.
    I like Old Spice a lot, I used it frequently 2 months ago. I definitely think that it is the best inexpensive fragrance out there in the market.

I like Polo Blue. It's nice and fresh. But I don't think I'm ever going to use it now that I've been hanging out on the site. I'd prefer something unique but Polo Blue is very very decent imo.