Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chaos by Donna Karan - old versus new?

Who has smelled 'old' and 'new' Chaos? Do they smell alike? If not, how do they differ?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th July 2009 at 02:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Chaos by Donna Karan - old versus new?

Hi Mike! I think the new Chaos smells like an edt version of old Chaos. The longevity is poorer and it lacks some of the richness of the original, perhaps due to a difference in the agarwood now being used.

This was my thinking back when I did a side-by-side last year. I'd do another now, but I'm all awash in MAC Naked Honey that I applied earlier this evening. Nicely potent stuff. I'll make a point to do this tomorrow and get back to this thread again.

I've been so tempted to pick up another bottle of the original now that the prices have come down, but I also have my new bottle, and so many other FBs of various things that I want as well ...
    Last edited by Heartwood; 15th July 2009 at 04:17 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a_o_g.

Since when is there a 'new' Chaos? I thought the 1996 Chaos was discontinued... and I can't find any other Chaos in the Fragrance directory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance J. Smooth View Post
    Since when is there a 'new' Chaos? I thought the 1996 Chaos was discontinued... and I can't find any other Chaos in the Fragrance directory.
    it has been reissued in new packaging:

http://www.donnakaranbeauty.com/temp...T_ID=PROD13872
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Awesome, I have been looking for it, hope to get a sample for my girlfriend

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Okay, here we go:

Vintage Chaos has more spices and agarwood right from the start. The agarwood is especially prominent and absolutely addictive to me.

The new Chaos' agarwood is almost completely lacking by comparison. The beginning is much sweeter, like candied lemon/lime citrus. It's rather heartbreaking to me when these are worn side by side. Vintage Chaos does develop some sweet citrus as it progresses, but retains more of the spiciness that is similar to that found in Black Cashmere. However, where BC is (say) a 5 on a 1 to 5 spicy scale, vintage Chaos is a 3 and new Chaos perhaps a 2. It's really difficult for me to get past how much more of the sweet lemon/lime is present in new Chaos versus than the old. It seems to get in the way of allowing the new version's notes to come forward fully and represent themselves more like the old. Most disappointing is that thru the development, new Chaos never matches the agarwood note found in the vintage version. It's there, but has a very minor role comparatively. That said, I do enjoy new Chaos on it's own. The spices, herbs, and other woody notes are very similar to the original, just toned down some. The fizzy cola note (that Nukapai so aptly describes in her review) is about the same, and may even seem more apparent due to the increased citrusy sweetness.

Longevity is definitely affected. After a few hours, the new Chaos smells like a glass of coca-cola with lime and melted ice (i.e. watered down). Vintage Chaos sits more closely on the skin, but remains true.

Now I'm going to pretend I never did this side-by-side, and go back to enjoying and wearing new Chaos. I hope.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Okay, here we go:

Vintage Chaos has more spices and agarwood right from the start. The agarwood is especially prominent and absolutely addictive to me.

The new Chaos' agarwood is almost completely lacking by comparison. The beginning is much sweeter, like candied lemon/lime citrus. It's rather heartbreaking to me when these are worn side by side. Vintage Chaos does develop some sweet citrus as it progresses, but retains more of the spiciness that is similar to that found in Black Cashmere. However, where BC is (say) a 5 on a 1 to 5 spicy scale, vintage Chaos is a 3 and new Chaos perhaps a 2. It's really difficult for me to get past how much more of the sweet lemon/lime is present in new Chaos versus than the old. It seems to get in the way of allowing the new version's notes to come forward fully and represent themselves more like the old. Most disappointing is that thru the development, new Chaos never matches the agarwood note found in the vintage version. It's there, but has a very minor role comparatively. That said, I do enjoy new Chaos on it's own. The spices, herbs, and other woody notes are very similar to the original, just toned down some. The fizzy cola note (that Nukapai so aptly describes in her review) is about the same, and may even seem more apparent due to the increased citrusy sweetness.

Longevity is definitely affected. After a few hours, the new Chaos smells like a glass of coca-cola with lime and melted ice (i.e. watered down). Vintage Chaos sits more closely on the skin, but remains true.

Now I'm going to pretend I never did this side-by-side, and go back to enjoying and wearing new Chaos. I hope.
    Thank you!

Hi there

Not sure where to post but I wondered if anyone could tell me if the re-issued Chaos was still available or not. There doesn't seem to be a lot of it around, so I wondered if it had been discontinued again? Basenotes also has it currently listed as such...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I only tried a dab of vintage Chaos, but I have a large bottle of Irma Shorell's dupe, Anarchy, and they seem very close to me. I love Anarchy and wear it constantly in the fall, it's got lots of spice and labdanum, and an agarwood note. The new Chaos left me cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gin37 View Post
    Hi there

Not sure where to post but I wondered if anyone could tell me if the re-issued Chaos was still available or not. There doesn't seem to be a lot of it around, so I wondered if it had been discontinued again? Basenotes also has it currently listed as such...
    It's available at Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus, and the Donna Karan Beauty website.

I'm in the minority, but I think the "new" Chaos and "old" Chaos are very close to being the same. I wore Chaos every day in the mid nineties and the "new" bottle smells like my Chaos did when it was fresh, not a few years old. Irma Shorell Anarchy is pretty close to the old Chaos, as well.
    “Auntie Mame [is] a froth of whipped cream and champagne and daydreams and Nuit de Noël perfume. She's not mortal at all.”- Patrick Dennis

I don't have the original version to compare to my new, re-released Chaos, but I think they smell different.

In my memories of Chaos, it had more depth and spices and a certain richness; an almost syrup-y quality. My new bottle is thinner smelling, and doesn't bring back those scent memories of original Chaos. Do you know those cherry/apple fruit desserts that come in frozen tv dinners? The ones that are a warm gel of light fruit and a little spice? That is what new Chaos reminds me of. It is nice, but didn't quite hit the spot for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly9 View Post
    I don't have the original version to compare to my new, re-released Chaos, but I think they smell different.

In my memories of Chaos, it had more depth and spices and a certain richness; an almost syrup-y quality. My new bottle is thinner smelling, and doesn't bring back those scent memories of original Chaos. Do you know those cherry/apple fruit desserts that come in frozen tv dinners? The ones that are a warm gel of light fruit and a little spice? That is what new Chaos reminds me of. It is nice, but didn't quite hit the spot for me.
    This is almost exactly my impression of the new formulation. I still have a little of the original left and it makes a bigger, bolder impression than the new stuff. Disappointing.