Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Black Orchid extrait/parfum

Does anyone has any experience with Tom Ford Black Orchid parfum?

From the Neiman Marcus website

Limited-Edition Black Orchid Perfume
    Exclusively ours online. A luxurious and sensual fragrance, Tom Ford Black Orchid with its rich dark accords and alluring potion of black orchids and spice is new and timeless.

The centerpiece of the collection is a limited-edition pure black crystal bottle created exclusively for The Tom Ford Fragrance Collection by Lalique. Each bottle is a collector's piece, signed and numbered by Lalique, and includes a certificate of authenticity. The bottle arrives empty, accompanied by a 0.5 oz. glass vial filled with perfume and a gold funnel to pour the fragrance into the bottle. The vial is perfect for travel. A black velvet pouch completes the presentation.

The little .5oz bottle (glass vial) does show up on ebay sporadically & I was thinking of buying one since I love Black Orchid.
    Ofcourse, only after I obtain some information on it from this very knowledgeable community. Thanks

Default Re: Tom Ford Black Orchid extrait/parfum

That's insane. I was wearing the EDP a couple weeks back, just one spray and thought I was wearing too much cologne. I think it's even stronger than some of the Private Blend scents. The parfum must be nose-bud overload.

I've never tried it but I'd bet it's like other LE extraits in terms of concentration, like Angel extrait of which you literally need a drop for all-day application. I assume the full set is very expensive and the refill vial much cheaper, right?

Sur la Plage

I SO want a bottle of this! I always oggle it when I am in Nordstrom (it is not exlcusive to Neiman Marcus as they claim).
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It's a beautiful bottle...I almost want it just for that!

Tom Ford is a creative monster , he knows marketing inside out.
    now.. Black Orchid is already a super potent juice , I cannot imagine a stronger version ... just like the Montale with extra on it, pure excess.
    Last edited by Basteri; 15th July 2009 at 01:27 PM.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Tom Ford is a creative monster , he knows marketing inside out.
    now.. Black Orchid is already a super potent juice , I cannot imagine a stronger version ... just like the Montale with extra on it, pure excess.
    I have a feeling that it might be a bit more lush, maybe some better ingredients...but the strength will probably be the same. If it's anything like Mitsouko or Shalimar, the EDP is plenty strong, but the parfum just has a more plush feeling overall.

Basenotes Institution

I have a sample of this.

It's not stronger than the EdP, in fact it wear slightly 'closer to the body' but it lasts just as long. With just a few drops it has the same impact as the EdP but in a much more lush, sophisticated way. Not quite as loud. More hushed. Behaved, if you will.

Because one doesn't have to apply so much, to get the same effect, the way it diffuses around you when you wear it is less pervasive and therefore that almost sour, decomposed fruit note is not as strong (my favorite part).

Personally I am glad I got the chance to try it, but I prefer the EdP.

The one product that I am very interested in trying, and still haven't, is the Black Orchid Finishing Oil. Basically, it's an oil that you can shower with. When you apply it in the shower, it foams up (like soap) and washes you but leaves your skin slick and heavily scented with the smell of the fragrance. A TF sales associate I spoke to says he just wears that, without fragrance, and it scents him all day - because basically the scent is ALL over your body in the shower. It sounds lovely, but it's also pricey ($48 / 5 oz).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th July 2009 at 04:48 PM.

The bottle doesn't look all that spectacular in the photos I've seen, especially for something created by Lalique. Just one man's opinion...

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...d=prod36080006

Yeah I've got this. It's very similar to the edp. it's closer to the skin pretty much what Mikeperez said. I prefer the parfum and find it to be smoother more rounded. that said I don't think it's worth retail prices. If you can pick up a bottle cheap then go for it. I picked two up on eBay a while back.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

They have a bottle on display at Neimans in San Francisco, but no tester, so (alas) I can't say what it smells like. From mikeperez23's description, it sounds worth a try, but I wouldn't pay six-hundred-some bucks without smelling it. Even at that, it'd have to be better than almost any Guerlain to be worth the money.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 15th July 2009 at 11:54 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Yeah, I really can't see many people paying retail for this one. There is not $500 worth of a differcence between the edp & parfum at least not to my nose.

I guess that's why they have the special Lalique bottle to justify the price.
    Last edited by Futami; 16th July 2009 at 12:12 AM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The one product that I am very interested in trying, and still haven't, is the Black Orchid Finishing Oil. Basically, it's an oil that you can shower with. When you apply it in the shower, it foams up (like soap) and washes you but leaves your skin slick and heavily scented with the smell of the fragrance. A TF sales associate I spoke to says he just wears that, without fragrance, and it scents him all day - because basically the scent is ALL over your body in the shower. It sounds lovely, but it's also pricey ($48 / 5 oz).
    Is it the Finishing Oil or Cleansing Oil? They had both at Nordstrom. I thought the Cleaning Oil was to be used in the shower, and the Finishing Oil was after shower (on dry skin).

I really want the Black Orchid Body Cream (not the lotion). It is luxurious - very rich, thick and creamy.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Is it the Finishing Oil or Cleansing Oil? They had both at Nordstrom. I thought the Cleaning Oil was to be used in the shower, and the Finishing Oil was after shower (on dry skin).

I really want the Black Orchid Body Cream (not the lotion). It is luxurious - very rich, thick and creamy.
    You're right, I think it was the cleansing oil.

Body creams tend to make my skin break out, so I usually avoid them. But I'm sure it smells great.

I got my refil bottle with pouch last week.
    It smells almost identical to the EDP, i dont find differences, except the slow evolution, the closer sillage and the longer time that it last.

Ive paid a fair price (less then 100usd shipped for a full 0.5oz 15ml bottle).
    I think it will last me for the same amount of time as a 3.4oz EDP, cause edp i wear about 6 sprays, and the parfum needs only 2 or 3 dabs, so i paid almost the same price for a more luxurious and collectors edition.
    Im happy but i will not pay more than that.

Congrats! its a really special scent. I don't wear BO often but when i do i prefer it over the edp.