Code of Conduct

Default Can you suggest an alternative to Beautiful Love?

Hello everyone,
    My boyfriend bought me two different fragrances that he just loves, but are way too strong for me - Estee Lauder's Beautiful Love and Oscar De La Renta's So De La Renta. He really loves heavy florals on me. I love florals too, but I'd really prefer something softer. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Can you suggest an alternative to Beautiful Love?

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbug Perfume Lover View Post
    Hello everyone,
    My boyfriend bought me two different fragrances that he just loves, but are way too strong for me - Estee Lauder's Beautiful Love and Oscar De La Renta's So De La Renta. He really loves heavy florals on me. I love florals too, but I'd really prefer something softer. Any suggestions?
    Your boyfriend has excellent taste! White florals can be a bit too . . . overbearing sometimes, though.

When I smelled Beautiful Love for the first time, I immediately thought, "Here's what Bath & Body Works ripped off to make Velvet Tuberose." You might want to try Velvet Tuberose in fragrance mist, which is much lighter than normal fragrance. If that's still too heavy, you could even try the body lotion.

The next time you and he are at the Estee Lauder counter, you could try Pleasures or Beyond Paradise. They are light, not very floral, and very well done.

Beautiful Love can definitely be a bit overwhelming. My favourite whispy tuberose is Diptyque's Do Son. Maybe in a similar vein (but different flower) would be Bvlgari's Jasmin Noir.

Thank you both so much! I'm going to search for those ASAP

Blog Entries

I'm sorry I might not have good recommendations (as I'm not familiar with Beautiful Love), but I wonder if your boyfriend is slightly anosmic, or perhaps you're more sensitive to odors? That might make things complicated for you two.

That said, I also find white florals tricky. I tried Pleasures again recently and really enjoyed it. It's rather bright and shiny, if that makes sense, but not too strong. Cleopatra by Tocca is soft and pretty, and Badgley Mischka Fleurs de Nuit is just gorgeous imo. Soft and smooth rather than bright and shiny.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Jitterbug, there are a couple ways I tone down the fragrance strength--

1) wear it in the body lotion rather than the EDP. I sometimes even squirt some scented body lotion into some unscented to thin the fragrance out a bit

2) spray very lightly, with some distance from your body, or mist into the air and walk into the cloud

You could give Nicolaï Number One a try.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    I'm sorry I might not have good recommendations (as I'm not familiar with Beautiful Love), but I wonder if your boyfriend is slightly anosmic, or perhaps you're more sensitive to odors? That might make things complicated for you two.
    I have heard often that women are generally more sensitive to smells than are men, so that certainly may be the case. (Also, I have heard that people lose their sensitivity to smell as they age, which explains many an experience being stuck in an elevator with a grand lady who put on one or ten too many spritzes of Opium.)

You could try Stella by Stella McCartney which is really light, floral and fresh or maybe Bond No 9's Bryant Park or Saks for Her, they both are floral blends that I think you would really like...

The other day I tried Pleasures and thought it was wonderful. Most Lauder fragrances are way too heavy for me, and my husband says they're "thick."
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle