Code of Conduct

Question Recommendations, please. Which MPG men's scent is the most feminine?

As a persone who likes to flaunt her garconne side with inpunity, which MPG scent would you say is the most "girly" or unisex. (I love the Web site's section called "Les caprices du dandy.")

I already wear/share D'Orsay's "Le Dandy" and "Arome Trois," YSL "L'Homme" and MPG "Parfum d'Habit."

I would appreciate the help.
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th July 2009 at 07:00 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Recommendations, please. Which MPG men's scent is the most feminine?

Although I am starting to have a really blurred image of the masculine/feminine barrier line I could suggest Ambre Precieux, Iris Bleu Gris and the new Route du Vetiver. Stressing though that none of them is gender bending! AP is the sweetest though.

Default Re: Recommendations, please. Which MPG men's scent is the most feminine?

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    Although I am starting to have a really blurred image of the masculine/feminine barrier line I could suggest Ambre Precieux, Iris Bleu Gris and the new Route du Vetiver. Stressing though that none of them is gender bending! AP is the sweetest though.
    Thank you for the reply! I am perhaps referring to scents which can be classified as "masculine florals." I am not fond of scents that are too "sugary." I also tend not to classify, hence my penchant for trying "men's" scents.

I like to use jasmine, too.
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th July 2009 at 09:27 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I would give Jardin du Nil a try.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Thank you for the recommendation. I am now pondering the Iris and will have to sample the Jardin.

I haen't tried JdN yet but I have a bottle coming in the mail. Bois de Turquie is classified as unisex. The only masculine with a strong floral note is the NEW RdV to my knowledge. Call me crazy but I think the drydown of Fuel for Life pour Femme has a lot in common with the drydown of RdV.
    As far as the dreaded line goes, I enjoy the muskissime trio.

EDIT: I just checked the Fuel for Life pour Femme pyramid. Guess what: blackcurrants and jasmin there too
    Last edited by cpk; 15th July 2009 at 12:06 AM.

I haen't tried JdN yet but I have a bottle coming in the mail. Bois de Turquie is classified as unisex. The only masculine with a strong floral note is the NEW RdV to my knowledge. Call me crazy but I think the drydown of Fuel for Life pour Femme has a lot in common with the drydown of RdV.
    As far as the dreaded line goes, I enjoy the muskissime trio.

EDIT: I just checked the Fuel for Life pour Femme pyramid. Guess what: blackcurrants and jasmin there too
    Can you post a review of Route de Vetiver? Other than the one in the archives? And let us know what you think of Jardin du Nil.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th July 2009 at 03:16 AM.

I have most of the men's line, and I think hands down the one you're looking for is Jardin du Nil. It's roses and geranium leaf and mint. I think some people might find it too feminine for a man. It's very floral, with a bit of herbs and spice that give it a manly kick, but still easily pulled off by a woman. I think Route du Vetiver is just too masculine. Bois de Turquie also works easily on a woman, though it's the only unisex labeled MPG. I got a ladyfriend into perfume, and she bought Bois de Turquie and wants Jardin du Nil. Maybe you could do Iris Bleu Gris as well.

All the other men's that I know (the ones I don't know yet are Santal Noble, Ambre Precieux and Parfum d'Habit) and just too masculine. Centaure and Bois des Iles are the most masculine so don't even try those - except you should try them just because they're so great!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 15th July 2009 at 03:30 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I forgot Iris Bleu Gris - a woman could easily do that one, but I'd say it's more appropriate if you're a sexy middle aged woman than a younger woman.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Thanks, Caesar, for the kind responses. At this point, I am looking at the Iris and Jardin to try next.

I love rose...love it in the L'Occitane en Provence "Quatre Reines" toiletries and Stella McCartney and Anglomania!

I think, though, that I can actually pull off Parfum d'Habit! LOL!
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th July 2009 at 02:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Iris Bleu Gris is my favorite, it is kind of light, though, that's my only problem with it.
    cpk, you have the new one, is it any stronger? I love the subtle dry iris here, and the wafting effect is fantastic. I guess that makes it magical. When I get that stray scent it is almost a jolt of heaven!

I should try Jardin du Nil. I was afraid of the mint.

Ambre Precieux was a favorite early on, but now I find it too sweet.

I don't think I've tried d'Habit yet.

Blog Entries

BTW, the smoothest vetiver (I tried them ALL) I found was Frederic Malle Vetiver Extrodinare.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Iris Bleu Gris is my favorite, it is kind of light, though, that's my only problem with it.

The mind in Jardin du Nil is really well blended intro the geranium leaf and doesn't really stand out individually - it takes away the gross alkaline bite of geranium leaf and makes it pleasant.

Speaking of Iris Bleu Gris - it has this really butterscotchy note - what is that?
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Blog Entries

I found this description on the MPG website, unless Hesperides is the mint, they don't even mention it. So I think it sounds interesting!

Jardin du Nil
    "Returning from a voyage to Egypt, after having discovered mint and geranium rosa crops in the Nile Delta, Maître Parfumeur et Gantier created Jardin du Nil.
    The refinement of geranium, rose and jasmine is added to a fresh top note of hesperides, on amber, patchouli and vetiver warm notes.
    "

I don't know what the Iris BG notes are, they are pretty vague. I think I like the vetiver in it. I like Route du Vet. a lot, but I give it to my husband to wear so I can smell it!

I think you'd love Jardin du Nil - it's hard to imagine that someone wouldn't!

Hesperides just means citrus fruits, so mint wouldn't be included in that. I don't notice any citrus at all though!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Kumquat, Caesar: Thank you both.

I am now leaning toward the Iris or the Jardin...

BTW, the Parfum d'Habit works well on my skin. Yep, it IS unique and powerful on a woman in that it does not seem to have loud floral notes. (I am thinking J'Adore or 24, Faubourg...)

The leather/saddle notes are very dandy-ish and in keeping with the theme of the "habit"--the riding habit.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th July 2009 at 03:44 PM.

Another vote for Iris Bleu Gris.
    DONNA

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes on Jardin du Nil. An amazing floral that dries down to a sweet, musky, fruity, skin scent.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th July 2009 at 03:56 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I agree with the above Jardin du Nil recommendations. A bit of advice: Wait a couple minutes after you apply it...the initial blast is quite otherworldly dirty. In a stinky, weird sort of way. This eventually fades into the background and blends into these fantastic florals.

The last time I wore JdN (from a decant) it was to a rodeo. Seriously. I kept thinking to myself, that morning as I was getting dressed, what does one wear to a rodeo? I mean the animals and the whole area just stinks...so I chose JdN. I remember getting into my seat and someone giving me a compliment on my SOTD. Little did they know.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th July 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Gadzooks!

I might have to shell out for both Iris *and* jardin...

Thank you for the comments.

Can I also suggest the light, citrusy, Pour le Jeune Homme.
    FYI, I'm selling a bottle of Jardin du Nil on my sale list.

Bois de Turquie, definitely. But most unisex is L'eau Pour Le Jeune Homme. Neroli-suffused classic edc. I've got to figure it's "for the young man" because I've had more than a few of them lean in close to smell this on me!

Off-Scenter

My take is that Ambre Précieux, Jardin du Nil, and Iris Bleu Gris are among the most unisex of the lot, with Parfum d'Habit, Bois des Îles, Route du Vétiver and Garrigue among the least.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 16th July 2009 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Can I also suggest the light, citrusy, Pour le Jeune Homme.
    FYI, I'm selling a bottle of Jardin du Nil on my sale list.
    Thank you all again for the recommendations. I am leaning towards the Jardin or the Iris.

Ruggles, thank you for offering to swap/sell your Jardin, but I just spend some $$$ for my husband's Truefitt & Hill EDT and shaving set.

cpk, you have the new one, is it any stronger? I love the subtle dry iris here, and the wafting effect is fantastic. I guess that makes it magical. When I get that stray scent it is almost a jolt of heaven!

Ambre Precieux was a favorite early on, but now I find it too sweet.

I don't think I've tried d'Habit yet.
    I was surprised to read you have a problem with the IBG strength. Indeed I have one of the new bottles and sillage, projection, longevity are perfect. Maybe it is one of the happier reformulations.

By the way I was going through my samples yesterday. Does anybody else notice a similarity in the opening of IBG an Eau des Iles? For the first seconds I thought the sample was mislabeled. Of course after that it is a completely different story (Eau des Iles is definately butch )but the openings nust share a lot of notes.
    Last edited by cpk; 16th July 2009 at 10:28 AM.

Off-Scenter

...Does anybody else notice a similarity in the opening of IBG an Eau des Iles? For the first seconds I thought the sample was mislabeled. Of course after that it is a completely different story (Eau des Iles is definately butch )but the openings nust share a lot of notes.
    Many of the MPG masculines share a very conspicuous sour/astringent black currant bud top note, especially in their original formulations. Could this be what you were smelling?

By the by, I've noticed that diminishing or removing this admittedly provocative top note seems a common factor in all of the recent MPG reformulations.

Basenotes Institution

...Does anybody else notice a similarity in the opening of IBG an Eau des Iles? For the first seconds I thought the sample was mislabeled. Of course after that it is a completely different story (Eau des Iles is definately butch )but the openings nust share a lot of notes.
    The first time I smelled Iris Bleu Gris I thought the bottle had turned - it smelled sour and like it was missing something...the iris mostly. It took a couple of minutes for me to smell the iris. Strange. The sour effect is disorienting. But the remainder of the middle and base notes are enchanting.

Blog Entries

I was surprised to read you have a problem with the IBG strength. Indeed I have one of the new bottles and sillage, projection, longevity are perfect. Maybe it is one of the happier reformulations.

By the way I was going through my samples yesterday. Does anybody else notice a similarity in the opening of IBG an Eau des Iles? For the first seconds I thought the sample was mislabeled. Of course after that it is a completely different story (Eau des Iles is definately butch )but the openings nust share a lot of notes.
    You've inspired me to open my bottle of reformulated (new) IBG. I might as well try it. Maybe it will be like having two great iris frags!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Many of the MPG masculines share a very conspicuous sour/astringent black currant bud top note, especially in their original formulations. Could this be what you were smelling?

By the by, I've noticed that diminishing or removing this admittedly provocative top note seems a common factor in all of the recent MPG reformulations.
    I am not that good in being able to define specific notes, especially such obscure ones as black currant bud. But it stuck me as something strange. I know IBG very well and I sampled EdI but was scared by its intense animalic midnotes. Revisiting EdI I discovered the exact same opening that I had totally missed the first time.

You've inspired me to open my bottle of reformulated (new) IBG. I might as well try it. Maybe it will be like having two great iris frags!
    Please, it would be interesting to know. But bare ib mind that reading several comments on other iris prominent scents I tend to believe that iris works exceptionally well on my skin. I have been complimented wearing iris scents that other basenoters report as being too weak.