Code of Conduct

Smile Totally DIGGIN' Profumum's Olibanum

It is no secret that I love dry, green, resinous scents. Well, I want to report and get comments on a fantastic example of that sort of scent, namely Profumum's Olibanum. I recently was in Rome, and I prioritized a trip to the Profumum shop which is near the Pantheon. (For a description of my time in Rome, see the off-topic thread.) I sniffed on strips many of the Profumum line. As EDPs they are all substantial, and many are interesting. I bought Victrix, which surprised me with its grassy green qualities.

But oh my, my other purchase Olibanum is SO GOOD. It is as satisfying as my beloved Cypres-Musc, and that is saying a lot! It is very dry, there is not an ounce of "fat" in it -- nothing to soften or sweeten the austere resinous beauty of frankincense. Myrrh lurks in the background and adds a rich depth, and sandalwood contributes a restrained woody structure; but this is really a frankincense scent and it is an excellent one.

This is a cool cathedral on a blazing hot Roman day. Contemplative, peaceful, uplifting.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Totally DIGGIN' Profumum's Olibanum

I like this one, too. I get a but of musk in the background which nasties it up a bit - in a good way, of course. If you haven't tried Olivier Durbano's Rock Crystal, you might want to, although it's so similar you probably don't need full bottles of both. I went back and forth deciding between the two and wound up going with Rock Crystal because the longevity was better and it was half the price. Olibanum is mighty fine, though.

"Olibanum"--wow--I just like the name.

Thank you for sharing.

"Cathedral" is right...the scent of incense in a church.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

It's been a long time since I sampled this, so I can't remember exactly, but I smelled this when my nose was just getting into incense scents. I don't remember it being as 'green' in my minds eye, as you describe it Ody. Honestly, I just mentally compartmentalized it as a Avignon wanna-be. Now, I'm intrigued.

This was my SotD today. Beautiful stuff.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

"dry, green, resinous scents" - well put oddy unadultrated incense over lush green notes..

Thought it was Passage d'Enfer more or less for double the price, but it's been a while since I smelt it. I doubt I'll like it since I get my frankincense fix from other scents plus I generally dislike green notes.

I think it's better than both Passage d'Enfer and Avignon.
    The orange blossom is gorgeous!
    Lasting power on clothes is incredible.
    Rock Crystal is similar, but it doesn't smell as clean, it's a little more smoky and spicy.

Olibanum is unique in that it's really first a citrus fragrance that is kind of buttressed by frankincense. I didn't go for it immediately but fell hard in the end.

I would group it not with passage d'enfer or avignon but rather with Eau D'Italie Baume de Doge, although they are so different in character, Baume de Doge being sweet and sticky.

I didn't really like Olibanum. I found it sour and a bit unpleasant. I find it a bit similiar to Hinoki too.

Agree, Olibanum and Hinoki are austere frags. I think Hinoki is even more austere but I see your point. But for me, that is their charm! I love focused, dry scents.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

This sounds very interesting. I can't say I've ever smelled a fragrance that had incense AND green notes simultaneously. I love both types of scents, and never really thought of combining the two. Green scents, to me, are very invigorating and uplifting, where incense scents smell austere, somber and dark to me.

As good as Cypres-Musc, huh? That's impressive, since CM is the woodiest scent I have ever smelled, and a damn good one! Like standing in a saw mill. Does Olibanum smell anything like CM? CM didn't smell green or like incense at all to my nose.

This is one of my favourites. It`s so unique and original, that it`s difficult to describe! I have tested many of the scents from this company, and IMO this one is the best. Highly recommended!

After Victrix and Arso this is the third Profumum Roma that I instantly fell in love with. Olibanum is beautiful and their take on incense really took me by surprise. It may seem far-fetched but in my mind Olibanum is reminiscent of Memoir Man's bright, green-fresh opening with some dark secrets underneath. Because it doesn't change too much from there it's also much more wearable then Memoir Man's journey into darkness/madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    After Victrix and Arso this is the third Profumum Roma that I instantly fell in love with.
    Ditto.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    I think it's better than Passage d'Enfer
    Personally prefer Passage D'Enfer.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally prefer Passage D'Enfer.
    But if the scent of Passage D'Enfer were placed in a Profumum bottle, it would suddenly be a horrible scent I am guessing.