Code of Conduct

Default L'eau De Navigateur

I just noticed that Lucky Scent has this one in stock now, which means it has been re-released to the US market after having been discontinued! Lucky Scent lists it as being the creation of Jean-Claude Ellena, but I've always heard that it was Laporte. What's the deal?

Default Re: L'eau De Navigateur

I am pretty sure Aedes de Venustas has it as well.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I...Lucky Scent lists it as being the creation of Jean-Claude Ellena, but I've always heard that it was Laporte. What's the deal?
    More info on this thread from last year here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=219508

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    More info on this thread from last year here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=219508
    Thanks for that link, Mike. I recalled that we had discussed this issue at some point. I just re-read that thread. It sounds like the idea that Laporte created it and Ellena reformulated it was how things were left, but there seems to be some question about whether that conclusion is accurate. One of the odd things about the perfume business is that when someone sells their company, it seems they also sell their historical claim as creator of the fragrances. For example, the MPG site has no mention of Laporte since Millet-Loge took over, and it clearly implies that M-L created all of the fragrances. That seems really odd to me and very unlike any other realms of artistic creation I'm aware of. It kind of pisses me off as a big fan of Laporte, that he seems to be already written out of the history of his own creations.

I believe the reference to Ellena having anything to do with its creation was done in error. If you do a search on his body of work, there's no mentioning of L'eau De Navigateur, and he would have been very early into his career at that point in time.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    I believe the reference to Ellena having anything to do with its creation was done in error. If you do a search on his body of work, there's no mentioning of L'eau De Navigateur, and he would have been very early into his career at that point in time.
    This is one of those moments when I wish I had JC Ellena's email address - to clear up all of this, isn't it?