Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Habit Rouge Dry by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Just tried it not too logn ago. Is it worth the effort or money? Probably only to a Habit Rouge enthusiast who owns/tried every single flanker/release. How does it smell? The best way I could describe it is somewhat of a cross between Habit Rouge EDC and Jicky.
    Habit Rouge Enthusiast - reporting!

Thanks Mudassir. Sounds very nice.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th February 2010 at 09:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Any more information about this? I asked a guerlain rep about it, and she didn't find anything on it as far back as 70. So perhaps it was a limited edition in 67? If it indeed was a limited edition, then how come there are different style bottles? My bottle looks like this as opposed to the pictures Mr. Guerlain, scentemental and Derbyman posted:

Ah Mudassir, you were the one who snapped that auction in UK lately eh? ;-) It's a wonderful 60s design, isn't it?

I don't know how long HR Dry was for sale, but the two different bottle designs can be explained by the fact that also the normal Habit Rouge EdC back then was sold in two different bottle design (round or square, just like the Dry one) at the same time - see this ad from those days:

Any more information about this? I asked a guerlain rep about it, and she didn't find anything on it as far back as 70. So perhaps it was a limited edition in 67? If it indeed was a limited edition, then how come there are different style bottles? My bottle looks like this as opposed to the pictures Mr. Guerlain, scentemental and Derbyman posted:

Last edited by Mr. G; 1st March 2010 at 01:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Mr. G,
    I did! I had to beg the seller to let me bid on it :-)

Regardiing the bottles, I do have the regular EDC in both kinds of bottles, and the red one says "Pour Homme" at the botton whereas the rectangular clear one doesn't say "Pour Homme". Perhaps they are a few years apart, as they do smell a bit differently?

Could be, although then it's a bit strange they are in the same ad, plus a few years normally doesn't make a big difference on the scent...? Another explanation could be that un-clear bottles (like the black metal 200 ml testers) do a much better job a preserving the fragrance than the clear bottles?

PS: Several websites mention Habit Rouge Dry as a limited release.

Perhaps they are a few years apart, as they do smell a bit differently?
    Last edited by Mr. G; 1st March 2010 at 02:38 PM.

Basenotes Institution

So Muddasir, what do you think about the Habit Rouge Dry?

Blog Entries

Mike,
    The top seems to be a bit less lemon/bergamot prominent compared to EDC, and maybe even a bit vegetal/green. The mid and base is dirtier than EDC. Perhaps more patchouli? Maybe even civet? I don't know what it is. The base is less sweeter and more leathery than EDC.

I like it quite a bit, but EDC from the same era is just as good!

Basenotes Institution

Another Basenoter and I were discussing this scent today and re-reading the thread I realized that I hadn't updated it since I acquired a decant of it and have worn it several times.

The scent, perhaps due to age (or maybe it's just the formula) is VERY light...especially if you are accustomed to the HR accord (vanilla, citrus, dusty oriental). It's briskly refreshing and slightly sparkly upon application, with that same signature 'quinine' feel that I recognize from my vintage bottle of Imperiale Dry, just softer. So much of the other components of HR are there, swirling around the citrus, but there's no plush carpet of vanilla to hold them down so the scent (at least on my skin) burns off oh-too-quickly and I sort of can't smell anything after about 15-20 minutes. And this is after drenching myself in 10-15 sprays.

I wish I owned HR in the underarm deodorant. I think if I did I would layer Habit Rouge Dry with wearing the Deodorant and the combination of the two would be effective in bolstering each other while still making it light, refreshing and...well, dry.

I am such a fan of Shalimar Eau Legere, because I think it strikes the perfect balance between the original oriental scent and it's also very refreshing and something that I can wear on a summery weekend where I might be sweating. I still haven't found a Habit Rouge formula or flanker that I like just as much. The Light was just too raspy and brittle...I didn't think it was refreshing at all. And the Sport, with it's jasmine, gives me a whopping headache.

I'm going to be sampling the new L'Eau version soon, so crossing my fingers that it's 'the one'.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

I have two different samples of Habit Rouge to test yet. This one isn't between then, but all the HB flankers interest me. Sounds like this one literally dries in 15-20 minutes on the skin.

Basenotes Plus

Almost 7 year bump, but just came across this Habit Rouge Dry EdC on eBay! -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gue.../123776071035?

There's a pic of information of different variations of Habit Rouge, which is interesting (though I don't know what it says).

Other pics:

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Institution

Ooh jealous! I'd love a bottle. My mini bottle got used up too fast.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Freed from BN Institution

Reading the details, it's more or less a broad description of each concentration or flanker.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Almost 7 year bump, but just came across this Habit Rouge Dry EdC on eBay!
    There's a pic of information of different variations of Habit Rouge, which is interesting (though I don't know what it says).
    The blurb next to the "Habit Rouge Dry" one says: "Latest jewel of the line, with notes that are drier and more hesperedic (citrusy) than those of Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne."
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Almost 7 year bump, but just came across this Habit Rouge Dry EdC on eBay! -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gue.../123776071035?

Other pics:

$500 price tag.
    Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI

I'll stick to the 'wet' version!
    Currently wearing: Hommage L'Homme by Lalique

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The blurb next to the "Habit Rouge Dry" one says: "Latest jewel of the line, with notes that are drier and more hesperedic (citrusy) than those of Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne."
    Oo, thanks! I'd like to try it.. haha
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!