Code of Conduct

Default Any suggestion for a starting wardrobe ?

I need suggestion for starting a wardrobe. I am 25 and I'm a graduated student in political science. I have a oily skin. I am looking for 2 to 3 perfume that will be use to:

1 - Everyday
    2 - Dating, clubing
    3 - Formal occasion (job interview, marriage, etc.)

I will lets you know what I have tried and what I like so you could know me a little better

I did try most of the Czech and speake sample. I found No.88, Cuba and Neroli to be the best scent they have, at least for my taste.

No.88 seem great but still not sure if i would invest in a bottle. I find the middle not weird.

Cuba is amazing but I don't think I could put that on a everyday bases.

Neroli is amazing. Still the projection and the duration of the cologne is weak. Maybe it's just because of the citrus scent. I found that I really like citrus scent. Maybe a futur buy.

Citrus Paradisi : I can't seem to find anything to say about this one. Maybe too sophisticated for me.

Oxford & Cambridge: Doesn't suit me even if the smell is great. Make me think of barber cream. First note are maybe a little too acute.

Frankincense and Myrrh: Too powerful for my skin. I smell like a incent trash tray. I pass.

I also found cologne sample my brother had and that he don't use. So i try them.

Higher (dior): Ark (never again on my kin) !

Perry for man (Perry): Arkkk (never again on my skin)!

Cristobal (Balenciaga): I found no love nor hate about this one. I am definitvly not gonna buy this one. Not a bad smell, it just didn't connect with me.

Envy (Gucci): I was suprised that i love this one. I will have to test it more but I might opt for a bottle of this one or the PHII (gucci) if i found a sample.

Allure (chanel): i smell it but i forgot if i like it ( ). I will have to test it some more.

Move (addidas): Smell bad on me.

Acqua di gio (armani): Smell great on me but I want to have somethings more unique and less passive)

Polo sport (Ralph Laurent): smell bad on me.

That's not alot to workout but i guest it,s better than nothings.

Thanks
    Last edited by Grunts67; 15th July 2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: forgot some cologne

Default Re: Any suggestion for a starting wardrobe ?

For everyday I'd suggest something like Mugler Cologne, Guerlain Vetiver, Penhaligon's English Fern, or Rive Gauche.

For dating, you already like Gucci Envy, but you could try something like Rose 31, Ambre Sultan or Chergui (all pricier) or M7.

For formal occasions you could try Creed's Bois du Portugal, Caron's 3rd Man, or Blenheim Bouquet.
    - E.J.

• Everyday--- Cerruti image , Bleecker st. ,Bulgari extreme
      • For dates/clubbing------ M7, Black Auod, MI
        • Formal occasions ---- Zino, Straight to heaven, New Harlem

daytime: Live Jazz

clubbin: Body Kouros

formal: M7

Just from my limited wardrobe, just might give you ideas :

Daytime: Adolfo Dominguez Agua Fresca (bright wake-upper)
    Paris Hilton for Men *melony sweet, gets me compliments from the ladies* --> trying not be embarassed here at BN by this choice

Clubbing: YSL Rive Gauche or D&G PH, good sillage and longevity, bit more dark, mature, serious yet sophisticated

Formal: (if office meetings & functions) Bulgari Aqua (safe)
    (other non-office events) shifting to my new Comptoir Sud Pacifique Bois de Filao. It's a sweet wood scent, I'll shift again once I get a darker wood scent.

I've just started seriously looking at my frag collection (and hanging around here more at basenotes, natch)...Enjoying the ride so far Best of luck to your search
    Last edited by funhuntr; 16th July 2009 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try to get some sample of them.

As a another matters, I went into a bar-club and I put Czech and Speake no. 88 on me. Big mistake. It seem the cologne isn't that strong on me first but the moment I begin to be a little hot (I begin to sweat), it literraly explode on me. The projection was absurb, easily 5 to 10 meters around me, and it smell more like a soap (as a girl said) than perfume. I was very disappointed.

Keep coming the suggestion. I want a big list of things to try when I will go shopping.

Try Rose 31 instead of No. 88, then. Still rose-based, but a bit easier to wear, I think. Does the same thing though - really cranks up when it gets warm. Use sparingly.

Any sort of date / evening / club occassion I apply very lightly.
    - E.J.

Blog Entries

I'm just getting started in the fragrance hobby/obsession myself, so my experience is more limited than many here. However, I'd second the Bvlgari Aqua. It's my current favorite, and I wear it most days. It is a great all purpose fragrance. You could wear it in any of the settings you mentioned.

Sticking with Bvlgari though, for a job interview I'd recommend Pour Homme or Extreme. You want something safe (won't offend anyone) for that setting, and those two fit that bill.

I went sniffing after a movie and I lets you know of the result. I didn't have the suggestion you gave me but I did my best to find some of them to try.

Gucci pour Homme II (Gucci) - I didn't like it.Too timid for my taste.

Gucci pour Homme (gucci) - Wow, really nice smell. Probably the best I try from gucci. I love the wood sense of this one.

Gucci pour Gucci Homme (gucci) - Nothings special on this one. Not worth buying in my opinion.

Terre d'Hermès (Hermès) - The paper for the spray wasn't a good quality, I wasn't able to get agood sniff on this one. I can't even tell what it smelled.

A Men (Thierry Mugler) - again cheap paper and almost empy tester. I couldn't have a good appreciation of this fragrance. Seem good. I will retest this one.

Allure sport homme (chanel) - Strong citron note in the begin. Didn't like it. Allure pour homme is better.

Chanel pour Monsieur (chanel) - I would like to test this one a little more. Could have a potential.

Platinum égoiste - (chanel) - I love this one. Probably the best scent of chanel, I have tried.

Bulgari pour Homme Soir (Bulgari) - I don't find myseld appell to this scent.Not bad. Just not my taste.

Bulgari aqua - I couldn't test it since they didn't had any tester. A bit disapointing.

Kourou - (YSL) - I am neutral to this fragrance. I would need to test it more to have a better opinion.

M7 - (YSL) - Nice scent, I would need to test a little more but It could be a pick.

Caron pour Homme (caron) - This one is simply WOW, I really love it. I would probably, if I can find a tester to make sure it smell good on my skin, buy a bottle.

Vetier (guerlain) - Smell good but didn't appeal me.

L'instant de guerlain (guerlain) - Wow, wow. I really enjoy that one. I don't know why, but I enjoy it. It could be a choice.

Habit rouge (guerlain) - Another wow, really like this one. It could be a buy also.

Héritage (guerlain) - I found the limon opening note too sharp. Didn't wait for the other note since my nose was fatiguated but It will worth a try.

Guerlain Homme (guerlain) - A light scent not bad but I just don't know. I got a sample of this one. I am gonna try it and decide.

I hope it will you help me find some fragrance.
    Keep the suggestion coming !

Thanks
    Last edited by Grunts67; 21st July 2009 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    I'm just getting started in the fragrance hobby/obsession myself, so my experience is more limited than many here. However, I'd second the Bvlgari Aqua. It's my current favorite, and I wear it most days. It is a great all purpose fragrance. You could wear it in any of the settings you mentioned.

Sticking with Bvlgari though, for a job interview I'd recommend Pour Homme or Extreme. You want something safe (won't offend anyone) for that setting, and those two fit that bill.
    I like Bvlgari Aqua. Along with Givenchy Blue Label my 2 favorite aquatics. For everyday, believe it or not I wear Ararmis, one shot to the chest. Not an aquatic. It settles close to the skin and becomes quite subtle... and is IMO quite versatile. I too like the notion of "everyday scents."

Job interviews? Maybe better no scent. Clean.