Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Thursday 16 July

Good morning!

Another day in Balmain Jolie Madame for me.

Have a good one!
    Last edited by tigrushka; 16th July 2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: fatal error aka the sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Thursday 16 July

Cologne by TM.
    Gary

Enjoying some Montale Oriental Flowers tonight, so much in fact that I will wear it in the morning, too.

(((Chaya, I was very sorry to read about the house fire -- glad everyone is okay, though.)))

Be well and safe, all!

I'm also in Balmain Tighruska. I changed to Ivoire a couple of days ago and that's also my scent of today.

Estee Lauders Pleasures Delight for me today - I am really loving the one right now. So very pretty

Thumbs up Re: SotD Thursday 16 July

Edmond Roudnitska' s
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Working today (at last) with meetings! Just Beige for me.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I am wearing Ormonde Jayne Woman from a brand new birthday bottle

I hope your day goes well VM, Beige is a lovely choice.

Sorry Chaya, I hope you are ok.

I was meant to be heading off on a picnic today, but the weather is grey and showery so it will be a carpet picnic here instead.
    Last edited by Hebe; 16th July 2009 at 08:39 AM.

Congratulations Hebe!

Chaya, what happened and where are you now? Please take good care of you and your loved ones!
    Brielle, I hope you'll feel well soon.

I'm in Etro - Etra today. Hugs to everyone.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

MITSOUKO on this lovely sunny morning.
    Hope you are all well!

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Caron - The Third Man/Le 3me Homme.

Last edited by petruccijc; 16th July 2009 at 09:26 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

NR Essence

Chaya, dear! I hope you are alright!?

Shocked to hear about Chaya's house fire. Hope all is okay, darling!

Paco Rabanne La Nuit, for me. Tao -- it arrived!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Versace Versus Uomo as SotD
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I just read about the awful news for Chaya Hope she's ok and that not much harm was done! :O My bf comes home tomorrow after almost two weeks away at his parents place...I'm not the tidyest person in the world...and particularly when I'm home alone...Need to do something about the apartment today,I think... Sotd is JPG Classique.It's been ages,so a nice "reunion" . Hope the rest of you also have a nice day! OH!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY to HEBE!!!! Nice birthdayscent!
    Last edited by ineespenes; 16th July 2009 at 01:06 PM.

Hugs and prayers for Chaya and the family and the exchange student (arriving tomorrow, right?). Be your brilliant and upbeat self, he is going to figure it all out, eventually, I will keep my fingers crossed.

We, in the upper Mid-West, are having a gorgeous summer so far -- higher 70s during the day and lower 60s during the night time, rain is pretty well balanced with sunshine, lots of animals in the back yard, including squirrels, rabbits and 13-stripe ground squirrels (the locals call them "squeamies", I thought), the evenings are lit up by the lightning bugs dancing out of the grass and into the dark air. Someone has told me that if you drive on the road between the two fields in the dark this time of a year, the both fields on either side will sparkle with them critters. A sight to see!

Flower-wise we are having summer phlox (light pink and white) and yellow mums abloom, and the season for the lilies is almost all over with (these lilies my Oma used to call "King of Prussia's locks" , orange and yellow, if you smell them close enough the nose will be all orange from the pollen ), a lady at work brought me a small bowl of black raspberries that ripened up in her back yard.

Will wear Yves Rocher Cedre Bleu. Have a nice day!
    Last edited by Twolf; 17th July 2009 at 05:45 AM.

A La Nuit

*hugs to chaya*
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Happy Birthday, Hebe!!!

Only our Chaya dives through flaming doorways, she's sort of like our own scent superhero.
    I am so glad all of the inhabitants of Chez Chaya are still on their two (or four) feet. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

I don't remember who said it in yesterday's SotD but it seems like we're having entirely enough tragedy, can someone please send in the clowns? I think we all need a laugh.

Wanted to smell like a church today and so I do in:

Comme des Garcons Avignon

Incense-based scents are one of my favorite style of scents. I have loved the smell of incense from my teens lighting up a cone in the burner and listening to Led Zep or Pink Floyd on the turntable; to my adulthood and discovering the perfumes that hold the same olfactory pleasures. The perfumer who has consistently hit the high notes for me in this style of scent is Bertrand Duchaufour. He has made five of my very favorite incense scents and I consider him my High Priest of Incense. All stories have a beginning and M. Duchaufour's relationship with incense-forward scents began in 2002 when he designed two of the five scents in Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense series, Kyoto is the other. Avignon is named after the city in France which was the Papal seat in the 14th century. Appropriately the central accord in Avignon is frankincense which any one who has ever attended a high mass will recognize. In point of fact Avignon is so true to recreating the frankincense accord that I imagine if you have bad memeories of the Catholic church you might find it hard to wear. Thankfully, I don't have any olfactory issues with the Catholic church. Avignon wastes no time getting to business as from the moment this hits my skin the incnse accord comes to life. Just like the priest swinging a censer I am immediately enveloped in a heady, intense cloud of incense. This is a bold beginning and in many cases it would be a hard act to follow as it has to be hard to compose when your crescendo comes at the start. One of the things M. Duchaufour does is to leave the incense accord in play but like that imaginary cloud of incense allow it to recede and be paired with patchouli in the heart. As any child of the 60's and 70's will tell you patchouli and frankincense go together like peanut butter and jelly, they're just natural partners and it is the same in the heart of Avignon. the herbal quality of patchouli added to the sweet resinous incense makes for a perfect balance. The whole scent is tied together with a beautiful vanilla in the base. The vanilla is used to accentuate the sweet quality of the incense and to contrast with the herbaceous quality of the patchouli and the choice of vanilla to close this off is nigh perfect. Avignon is an extremely strong scent on me but it has been mentioned in other articles that it is an excellent layering component when used in moderation. I know it is the incense scent I turn to when I am interested in adding a touch of incense to another scent. M. Duchaufour has gone on to make even better incense scents, Timbuktu & Jubilation XXV, but in Avignon his first steps on the incense road already showed the potential that those future scents would realize.

Have a Thankful Thursday everyone.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 16th July 2009 at 01:43 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Bless you ALL for your sweet care and concern ....

We're pretty exhausted today; our beds smell like smoke, but we were able to go back in.
    UGH.
    B is going to make coffee, then we will go to work.

Wore Evening Edged in Gold last night, to drown out smoke smell and soothe; might do it again.
    [I don't think I'm going to crave incense scents any time soon....]
    Sore all over and dreamt of fires, but we are OK.

Love to all who ache , yearn, burn, or sorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I don't remember who said it in yesterday's SotD but it seems like we're having entirely enough tragedy, can someone please send in the clowns? I think we all need a laugh.
    How about a birthday?? Good enough for a smile I hope......

Happy Birthday Hebe!!!

I am sorry you can't have your picnic outside but I hope this
    chocolate picnic basket will give you some 'outdoor' feelings.
    Have a wonderful and happy day

Chaya, I am sorry to read about the fire but glad you and the ones you love are alright.
    Take care, dear!

A Timbuktu day. I hope the rest of the summer is splendid for all of us.

((Chaya)), I'm so sorry to hear about the fire! Thank God everybody is ok! Sending thoughts and prayers and lots of good wishes to help you through your day.

Twolf, the upper midwest sounds soooo beautiful. You must go drive between two fields some night soon so you can see all the twinkling firefly lights.

Happy Birthday to Hebe!

My SotD is from an unlabeled mystery sample sent in a packet by a friend. It's a Loukhoum, but I don't know whose. It's very nice and sweet, without being nauseatingly so. Nicely balanced. I like the sweeties.

I hope everyone gets through the day/evening safely!

Chaya, so glad to hear that everyone is ok. Hope that everything gets set back to right as quickly as possible!

Happy Birthday Hebe! Great choice for birthday present

Put on DK Chaos for night-night time. This morning continuing with DK, Gold.

What a long week this has been! The weekend can't come too soon.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Happy Birthday, HEBE !

Sheesh. I miss ONE DAY of BaseNotes and all hell breaks loose.

Chaya, Baby! Quelle horreur!!! Glad you and loved ones are OK....you are a lightning rod for excitement of all kinds, n'est c'est pas??

And beautiful Hebe!!

Sampling: Amouage Reflection...to my mind very non-Amouage-y except that it's BIG (you know how I love big) Described as white florals it is actually melon-y on me with some jasmine and roses and muguet peeking through.It enters the room before you do.....

Kisskisskisses to the divine BNer (you know who you are) who has sussed my weakness for these kinds of fumes.

FORGOT TO SAY: Wolfie it's hard to believe that English is not your first language so immediate are the impressions yourr word picture invoke. Can I move in?
    Last edited by TaoLady; 16th July 2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: 's obvious......
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Happy Birthday to Hebe! And I saw on the "Fragrances I bought in July" thread that Frenchie Day also had a birthday--best wishes to her, although belated!

Haven't settled on a SotD yet, but finally after the holiday weekend, the weather here has turned to be more normal, mid 70's and lots of bright sun. I have been wearing lighter frags in general, although being indoors in a controlled climate, it seems most anything goes.
    Last edited by Asha; 16th July 2009 at 01:30 PM.

Dear Chaya - my thoughts are with you and your family!

I wish for the happiest of birthdays for Hebe! Congrats!

SsF (scent so far) is Jovan White Musk - my best compliment getter. :bounce:

Firstly, Happy Birthday wishes to Hebe! (PS an added wish for FrenchieDay for a happy year ahead!)

Oh Dear CHAYA! The first thing that popped into my mind after reading yesterday's post was "thank goodness her foot was healed"...so happy you were ABLE to run barefoot down 3 flights. Just a few months ago you might not have been able to leap through that burning doorway! We are all truly relieved to hear you and the family are okay. It's good too, that you were able to return to your apt., even though the smell is not too pleasant.

Kenzo Amour for me today.
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 16th July 2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: extra birthday wish!

Happy Birthday Hebe!!! The showers are all good luck! Enjoy, be healthy, happy and fragrant :-)

Chaya, what a horrible story! So glad you and those you love are alright. Yes, stay away from incense and any smoldering frags! Go do some cardio to expel anything you inhaled.

VM- excellent choice on the Beige! I'm sure you'll wow them

I'll be wearing IUNX Eau Frappee, a gift from a beautiful friend.

I'll be on a Guerlain quest today. Have the task of going to the Spa de Guerlain to test a Plus que Jamais sample from a friend who's concerned about the formulation, versus the in-store liquid. Should be interesting.

Have an excellent everything, everyone!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Fire, how frightening. Glad to hear everyone is ok and that you can still talk about your perfume Chaya. Hopefully that smoke smell will dissipate soon!

Edit: changed my SOTD when I opened my cupboard and saw Divine L'Infante. Ahhh that's perfect.
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 16th July 2009 at 01:52 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Happy Birthday Hebe- great fragrant days ahead for you !
    Chaya - I am glad you are alright- what a scare. Take care !

Scent of the Morning is Fracas. Nothing like it to wake me up .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

sotd:
    The Different Company
    Jasmin de Nuit

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Nan Green. I swear, these days I could live on just NG, Bigarade Concentree, and Sabi. They make me so happy. Chaelaran, I understand what you mean about falling more deeply in love with a frag, as you mentioned in yester's SotD.

Chaya, honey, you and the Powers That Be have got to find a way to reduce your stress. We're all pulling for you.

Wolfie, I love your observations about the Midwest. Sometimes it takes a newcomer to note and express the splendor we may take for granted. Our raspberries are performing deliciously now, too. I also love how you recognize the diff between 13-line ground squirrels and chipmunks. Most people don't. But then, you're not most people.

Chicken-soup thoughts for RainDrop, kewart, Brielle, and anyone whose teetering on feeling poorly.

SMM, I can't send in the clowns (they're kinda creepy anyway), but how about a slinky jester avatar? Gil Elvgren labeled this sex kitten the "Life of the Party."

... and that party's for Hebe!
    Happy Birthday!
    Use that snorkle to blow out the candles!

Gotta pack my bags. Taking a little jaunt this weekend. More on that tomorrow before I depart.
    Last edited by Quarry; 16th July 2009 at 02:12 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

(((((Chayale))))) Love and calming vibes headed your way, honey.

Happy birthday, Hebe! Frenchie Day, hope you had a lovely birthday.

Sotd is Bulgari Black
    Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Catherine Memmi Mixte for me today ~ vanilla, green tea, bergamot, lemon, nutmeg

I should wear this more often...

Thank goodness you and family are safe and well, Chaya. Take it slow.

I am wearing Rive Gauche today.

SMM, let me kiss you on the nose! (This is about the idea of sending in the clowns, "how I 'd like to be in that number"!)

Happy Birthday Hebe!
    Byblos for the day.
    Tested The Beat by Burberry at late evening.

Acqua di Parma's Colonia
    Wishlist is pointless.

Molinard Fleur de Figuier

L'eau de L'Artisan today.

Demter Earthworm

Smells like the rich, moist soil in which an earthworm dwells rather than the worm.

Oh Chaya, what a harrowing experience! I'm glad you all are safe!

MIss Balmain

Fleurs de Provence Lavende by Molinard, which I applied last night. Lasts ages on the skin.

I may give my nose a break today.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR HEBE!!!!

((((Chaya)))) here's to plenty of plain old boring CALM.

Inspired by my brother MikePerez's choice yesterday (or the day before), I'm enjoying the light and sparkling Parfums del Rae Eau Illuminee.

Not quite sending in the clowns, but it definitely puts a spring in my step. Maybe I should try a pair of clown shoes...
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Hello all, happy thursday.

Happy Birthday Hebe have a lot of fun celebrating.

Chaya, I give you credit for being able to sleep in a smokey scented home. Mama cannot even rest the night if I burn the Feu de Bois Diptyque candle. Glad you are doing okay. If you need help with the exchange student let me know.

Lievje and Quarry, thank you both for thinking of me. I seem to be feeling better today, just exhausted that is all. Hope I will be tip-top by tomorrow; want to enjoy the weekend with hubby. Hubby darling took monday off to stay with a very sick me, so I want him to be able to enjoy his weekend. Hugs and kisses to you both xoxox

VM-Hope the day is peaceful, stress free and as relaxed as Beige

Today I am wearing vintage Lasso by Jean Patou, it is absolutely gorgeous.

Love to all and big hugs as always.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 16th July 2009 at 06:03 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Parfums de Nicolaï Balkis today: raspberry, Turkish rose, black pepper, coffee extract, iris, benzoin, vanilla pods

As for Twolf's ground squirrels, I had to look it up. I always pictured the local word as "squeenies," and find that it's actually "squinnies." They're very tiny, they stand vigil all along the highways, and in some moods, I think "squeamies" might be just be the right word for them after all! My boys trapped one in a drainspout and tilted the spout from end to end until I told them to let the poor thing go.

And a late night drive down a county highway through the twinkling fields is definitely a summer treat.

(Still two bottles left in the White Magic Contest!)
    Last edited by tang; 16th July 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Late to Hebe's birthday party but adding my best wishes for a lovely celebration - let Axminster be the new Glyndebourne where picnics are concerned!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HEBE!!!

There are two purple hebes in full bloom in our front flowerbed - they clearly know when it is important to put on a good show!

And very warm wishes go out to Chaya (though not so warm as to constitute a further fire risk, obviously ; - ) ). This situation is one where those quizzes suddenly come into their own that ask: "What one item you would save from a burning building?"

Feel punch drunk from my first day back at work after a long interval - but all day long Beige provided a soothing cocoon!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 16th July 2009 at 08:42 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Wearing Shalimar eau de cologne as SotE. It's nice in the heat and humidity. It's nice any time at all, for that matter.

Thank you so much for all the birthday wishes, and the cake, champagne and chocolate strawberries! I've had a wonderful day, we upgraded the picnic to the kitchen table and all squashed up around it while the four baby girls ran riot in the garden (they don't seem to mind wet grass as much as the grown-ups!)

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    ....As for Twolf's ground squirrels, I had to look it up. I always pictured the local word as "squeenies," and find that it's actually "squinnies." They're very tiny, they stand vigil all along the highways, and in some moods, I think "squeamies" might be just be the right word for them after all! .....
    Awwww. Tha's the CUTEst little critter....just LOOKIT them hand-painted stripes... reminds me of Busker's jackets...or a very merry Morning Coat....
    .....many thanks to Twolf/Tang...)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Happy Birthday, Hebe! I hope your day was marvelous.

Oh, how I miss those fireflies (or, as we called them when I was a kid in the midwest, lightning bugs)!

Posting late, but have been enjoying Ambre Sultan all day.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Cumming by Alan Cumming tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Un Jardin sur le Nil.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

LA Premier Figuier.

We are visiting NYC tomorrow and paying our first visit to Aedes de Venustas.

Songes
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Aimez Moi for me today
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

SotD was Chanel Eau de Cologne, one of my summer "go to" fragrances. SotN, testing Mazzolari Patchouly from a decant. After wearing Reminiscence Patchouli Elixir last night, I almost want to say, "where is the patchouli?" Am I turning into a hard core patch-head? I had flashbacks of Everso's damning reveiws--"Where is the leather? No leather! Fail!"

Blog Entries

Hi all and happy birthdays and good wishes to all who want them!

Today's SOTD was my second real test of Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (the pure parfum)

It's kind of like if you took a perfume artist and asked them to do an abstraction based on the smell of freshly-baked cinnamon rolls - it doesn't actually smell like cinnamon rolls, but the elements are there, arranged artfully instead of literally. Cinnamon, tonka, vanilla, that fennel seed that smells like bread, plenty of powder (but the powder gave more flavor to the breadiness, as opposed to turning this into a powdery scent). Really, it smells like L'Heure Bleue, which is something in and of itself.

Over all, I'm not in love, but it could happen eventually.

Of the ones I've tried, this is definitely my favorite of the "important" Guerlains.
    Last edited by rogalal; 17th July 2009 at 03:23 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Diesel's Fuel For Life Summer for Men.
    Gary