Code of Conduct

Default I smelled the new Tom Ford White Musks yesterday!

My local Neiman Marcus recently installed a Tom Ford counter. I stopped by on my weekly cruise through the perfume department and struck up a conversation with the S/A on hand, who happened to be one of the nicer and more knowledgeable at this store. I asked her about the White Musks series and she very conspiratorially leaned over and said "want to try them"? It happens that the store received some advance-issue testers (not "official" ones - these were in very plain, smallish atomizers, not the apothecary-style bottles).

I did not have a lot of blank skin left at that point in the day, so -

I tried on paper:

Urban Musk
    Spicy. It has a breath of the Bulgari Black vibe, but many times more subtle, like a whiff of tar carried on a breeze. If I had tried it on skin, I think the faint vanilla would have floated up to the surface.

Musk Pure
    A skin musk, a fine one. This would appeal to the afficionados of the "drugstore" musks like Jovan or the old Bonne Bell Skin - it's "like" those, but as if it were a wealthier and more cultured relation to them. Must go back and spray this one on.

I sprayed on my arm:

Jasmine Musk

Loved this. Not a powerful jasmine note, but warm and perfectly interwined with the musk. Ylang ylang mixed in, in an ideal amount so it doesn't take over.

There was no tester of the White Suede yet. I'm keeping an eye out for it - will report back should I get to test that one too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I smelled the new Tom Ford White Musks yesterday!

Wow, those sound very nice! I remember I wore Love's Musky Jasmine as a teen. I don't suppose Tom Ford's Jasmine Musk will smell like that - something tells me it will be rather...um...more - but the idea of it makes me feel nostalgic. I will definitely be looking to sample these when they become available.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sample of White Suede that Ive been meaning to blog about for the better part of a fortnight. It is very tenacious, and quite feminine. It is very much a "white musk" scent (meaning that the musk base is very 'typical' of its genre), but with some dizzying florals attached. More to follow soon on my blog.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Jasmine Musk sounds good !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering if any of these will give Musc Ravageur a run for its money.. Urban Musk sounds cool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I'm wondering if any of these will give Musc Ravageur a run for its money
    I doubt it but I remain open to the possibility.

I have tried all of the TF fragrances and i wanted to dislike them for some reason but i really liked them all, Bois Marocain being the one i liked best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Urban Musk
    Spicy. It has a breath of the Bulgari Black vibe, but many times more subtle, like a whiff of tar carried on a breeze. If I had tried it on skin, I think the faint vanilla would have floated up to the surface.
    Wow, I'm sold on this one. Sounds like something I'd love, but if it's as faint as you say, it might not be worth the price.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I tested White Musk twice. I don't like it. I was going to write a review of it for Perfume Shrine but then I decided against it. Someone like me, who really does not like musk scents, can't really write an unbiased review of a musk prominent scent.

I agree with Dimitri, it smelled very feminine on me. I rarely toss that description around, because it's misused here on BN...but WM smells like a woman. I smell pantyhose, a touch of hairspray, aldehydes, and then that blank negative space where I am sure there's musk (that my nose cannot register) and something akin to wallet or handbag leather (like Tuscan Leather). Overall it had a cold, sterile, non-sexy vibe - which surprised me for a TF scent, and that turned me off to it.

Which is fine with me, I don't need to fall in love with anymore luxury Tom Ford fragrances.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th July 2009 at 09:12 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I'm wondering if any of these will give Musc Ravageur a run for its money..
    It wouldn't be hard to do that IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Went back and sprayed the Musk Pure on my arm over the weekend.

This is like your favorite drugstore musk from the late '70's, but all grown up, and at the apex of its potential. There is something glittery, shiny, gleefully synthetic that starts in the opening and persists through the heart. Normally, something with this description would turn me right off, but there is beauty here. This scent brought up some very nostalgic associations that fit right in with its "white musk" vibe. I kept seeing in my mind's eye the kind of synthetic jersey fabrics that the great designer Halston used to such stunning effect in his work. Yes, they were the dreaded polyester, but dear gods, the slink, the flow, the sheen of them!

Sometime between the heart and the drydown, this scent did a pirouette and turned into a warmer, more animalic musk, much like the Kiehl's, but without the slightly old-fashioned rosy aura that Kiehl's can have. Lasting power was more than decent - sprayed on at about 5:00 p.m. and was still able to enjoy it at midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    My local Neiman Marcus recently installed a Tom Ford counter. I stopped by on my weekly cruise through the perfume department and struck up a conversation with the S/A on hand, who happened to be one of the nicer and more knowledgeable at this store. I asked her about the White Musks series and she very conspiratorially leaned over and said "want to try them"? It happens that the store received some advance-issue testers (not "official" ones - these were in very plain, smallish atomizers, not the apothecary-style bottles).

I did not have a lot of blank skin left at that point in the day, so -

I tried on paper:

Urban Musk

Musk Pure
    A skin musk, a fine one. This would appeal to the afficionados of the "drugstore" musks like Jovan or the old Bonne Bell Skin - it's "like" those, but as if it were a wealthier and more cultured relation to them. Must go back and spray this one on.

I sprayed on my arm:

Jasmine Musk

Loved this. Not a powerful jasmine note, but warm and perfectly interwined with the musk. Ylang ylang mixed in, in an ideal amount so it doesn't take over.

There was no tester of the White Suede yet. I'm keeping an eye out for it - will report back should I get to test that one too.
    WANT Musk Pure (love drugstore musks) and Jasmine Musk (warm & perfectly intertwined!!). Badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I have a sample of White Suede that Ive been meaning to blog about for the better part of a fortnight. It is very tenacious, and quite feminine. It is very much a "white musk" scent (meaning that the musk base is very 'typical' of its genre), but with some dizzying florals attached. More to follow soon on my blog.
    You had me a "white musk with dizzying florals" *swoons*