Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Parfum d'Empire Wazamba

I just found this information. This one sounds promising to me. I really like this house, but their most recent two releases (Aziyade and Yuzu Fou) weren't my kind of thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one, although the apple note sounds like he may have borrowed a bit from LV's Incensi. We'll see

http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/07/09...new-fragrance/
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 16th July 2009 at 06:34 PM.

Default Re: Parfum d'Empire Wazamba

This sounds wonderful. I have all ten of their previous fragrances and am looking forward to this one too.

Note-wise it sounds interesting, as for the name, well it sounds like a new catchword for "yay we did it!!" "Wazamba!!!"
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Basenotes Institution

LOVE the name.

The list of notes starts with aldehydes, which has me scared.

I will definitely give it a try, but whenever I see apple in a list of notes, I'm generally wary. It just doesn't seem to be something I want to smell like. That being said, I'll sample anything.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 16th July 2009 at 07:17 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

With that name, am i the only one who thinks of that Bud commercial? Waz up?
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

As a huge fan of PdE’s scents, I am extremely impatient to try both “3 Fleurs” and “Wazamba”.
    It is pretty confusing to me that I have not found any information about these two eau de perfumes on the official PdE site.
    As far as I know, wazamba is an African musical instrument (please, correct me if am wrong).
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 16th July 2009 at 08:00 PM.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Very interesting! Myrrh always peaks my interest, and myrrh and aldehydes have me wondering if this is PdE's take on Lutens' La Myrrhe? Opopanax and fir balsam are definitely notes that don't get along with me, though...

3 Fleurs also looks worth checking out. Tuberose, jasmine, and rose - three of my favorite notes, and ones that can be done SO many different ways that listing them tells me nothing. I'm hoping it's rich and complex and heady.

I guess I'm the only one to hate the name. Wazamba? WTF

My pal : Dude, what's that scent?
    Me : er.. Wazamba
    Him : ...
    Me : ...

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post

I don't know, but it does sound like it should have an exclamation mark at the end, like Dzing!

Him: What are you wearing?
    Me: WAZAMBA!!!
    Him: Sorry - didn't mean to offend you...

Did somebody mention ***PINE***? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I got a heads-up on this from fellow Conehead awayalonealong, and I certainly look forward to trying it. I like Iskander very much.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Probably the worst perfume name of the decade, so far. It sounds more like the title of some long forgotten African album - you know, one of those horribly dated (and ill-fated) 'cross-over' albums, from the '80s, that diluted the regional sound in favour of cheesy synthesisers and some dodgy drum machine programming...

The first few releases by Parfum d'Empire were decent, although not to my liking. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, something's gone wrong and their last few offerings have been hideous. So, I won't be holding my breath.
    Last edited by Trebor; 16th July 2009 at 11:29 PM.

I'm interested in trying this although the list of notes looks a bit 'weird' - apple & pine, together?
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Probably the worst perfume name of the decade, so far. It sounds more like the title of some long forgotten African album - you know, one of those horribly dated (and ill-fated) 'cross-over' albums, from the '80s, that diluted the regional sound in favour of cheesy synthesisers and some dodgy drum machine programming...

The first few releases by Parfum d'Empire were decent, although not to my liking. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, something's gone wrong and their last few offerings have been hideous. So, I won't be holding my breath.
    Hey man, it's the best perfume name ever (at least for today) and besides I wrote a college paper on King Sunny Ade back in the noble period upon which you most righteously opine.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Hey man, it's the best perfume name ever (at least for today) and besides I wrote a college paper on King Sunny Ade back in the noble period upon which you most righteously opine.
    'Juju Music' is a masterpiece (from 1982, I think).

LOL! Fair enough but it's one of those associations I can't quite shake off...

WAZAMBA!!!!!

Yes, great name. From my past experience with PdE, this one would probably sill like mad and have a drastically changing progression from top to base. **adds it to the wishlist**

Aedes will start shipping this the first week of August. I assume others who carry the line will have it about the same time.

All I could find on the history of this name is - a midwife in African tribal society. WAZAMBA is the title or name for a wize elder woman or specifically for a midwife in the tribal society of the Bantu people in Africa.

I am guessing the name was selected just because it sounds good and possibly because they wanted the fragrance to have a tribal, natural or African feel to it? I look forward to the fragrance no matter what the name is.

Anyone else know more about where this name originates from or the significance of its selection for this fragrance?

My best guess is that it is an alternate spelling of Wasamba, which is apparently the name of a tribal people in the bushlands of East Africa. Here's a link:

http://www.ntz.info/gen/n01354.html

What this would have to do with pine forests and incenses though, is anybody's guess!
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 25th July 2009 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff
    Anyone else know more about where this name originates from or the significance of its selection for this fragrance?
    I would say a few words about it; Unfortunately, I do not know the Italian language well enough, but for the people who do know…
    http://www.extrait.it/3-fleurs-e-waz...arfum-dempire/

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff
    I look forward to the fragrance no matter what the name is.
    Absolutely!
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Oh, I was at Scentbar yesterday and it did not even occur to me to ask if they had testers yet.
    Good excuse to go back.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post

No, I hate it too, for reasons stated in another threads. Comic strip talk, pseudo-exotic schtick. Sounds like the name of an African dictator in a racist soldier-of-fortune B-Movie.

Edit; But it's actually a real word:
    http://www.africainmusica.org/instru...troWasamba.htm

Still not a good choice, I think.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 25th July 2009 at 06:32 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I love the name and this is one of the very few fragrances at the moment that I am dying to try for.

PdE is a great house and M-A Corticchiato is an extremely talented perfumer.

In Wazamba the apple note definitely does it for me; that combined into confireous notes with resins brings water right into my mouth. I think I will love this one - a lot.

I will test this as soon as possible.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    In Wazamba the apple note definitely does it for me; that combined into confireous notes with resins brings water right into my mouth. I think I will love this one - a lot.

I will test this as soon as possible.
    I have to say I had the same feelings when I read the notes list - they sound promising. PdE is not a house that I've fallen for...yet. I've tried a handful of scents and thought some were okay and one was horrible, but nothing has clicked yet. I think the name is neat.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

OK. I just got my sample from lucky scent and I reserve the right to radically change my mind later, but my first impression is disappointment. It's very sweet and smells a bit like a very weak M7. Not a good lighter M7 like M7 Fresh, just like something vaguely reminiscent of M7, but weaker and sweeter. I'm getting a bit of the apple now, which is very genuine smelling and adds some brightness, but unfortunately also adds even more sweetness. It's not a terrible scent, but upon first exposure, I can't imagine buying a bottle of it with all of the options out there for this kind of fragrance, but if taking M7 and LV Incensi and dumping them together and then gutting them of all edginess appeals to you, then you might find this FBW. I'll be very curious to hear what others think. I'm not usually the first person on here to report on a fragrance - in fact, I think this is the first time so I'm very interested to hear how others respond to this one!

Thanks Tonyprince.
    I'd also love to hear more feedback on this - the notes are good enough that almost make me want to blind buy it (but we all know that's not going to end well).
    I'm trying to wrap my mind around a weak, sweet M7. I might like that after all!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I wore my sample this week. I liked it very much. I wore it the day after I tried Pure Oud and I liked it better (not that this factoid says much). I found it very incensy and spicy. I could barely perceive the apple and it came across as some sweet fruit at the heart and drydown that balances the incense and spices. It had good longevity and projection. I also got my sample from Luckyscent and had to dab, there is not enough to transfer to a sprayer. I probably will get a 2.5 ml sample when available at TPC. and may revise my opinion.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I wore my sample this week...

Hey arwen,

Could you compare this scent to anything that´s already out there..?? Tonyprince was talking about some similarities with M7 and LV Incensi - do you have something else in mind, perhaps?

I can´t wait to try this; I am just forced to wait that TPC will add this on their selection.

On a side note, arwen, I was visiting your wardrobe and I noticed that you still haven´t tried Ambre Russe (Parfum d´Empire)...Now, what is you´re excuse for such a huge injustice?!!?

I found this a bit similar to Aziyade, minus the cumin and the stewed fruit notes. Very warm, spicy and woody. I liked it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I found this a bit similar to Aziyade, minus the cumin and the stewed fruit notes. Very warm, spicy and woody. I liked it a lot.
    I agree. It reminded me of this one as well, and while pleasant, it was so derivative of other scents, I just couldn't go for it. I guess what makes me so adamant in my post is that this perfumer has done such great things at times. I love Eau de Gloire and Fougère Bengale is really unique and interesting. (I love it some days and not on others, but I'm glad I own it.) Cuir Ottoman is on my short list for a purchase. I just expected something exciting. I would be happy if someone gave me Wazamba as a gift, but I probably will never purchase it.

Hey arwen,

Could you compare this scent to anything that´s already out there..?? Tonyprince was talking about some similarities with M7 and LV Incensi - do you have something else in mind, perhaps?

I can´t wait to try this; I am just forced to wait that TPC will add this on their selection.

On a side note, arwen, I was visiting your wardrobe and I noticed that you still haven´t tried Ambre Russe (Parfum d´Empire)...Now, what is you´re excuse for such a huge injustice?!!?
    Let me check it against Costes and Chaos. I own various incense fragrances, but it is nowhere close to Avignon, Silver Factory, Serge Noire, Nu, Encens Flamboyant, or Passage d"Enfer.

As to your question about Ambre Rousse,
    I don't know!!!!
    I have seen it at Scentbar, the same goes for Chergui. By the time I get to them my nose is very tired and I don't have any more space to try anything else. I should add these two to my next sample order. In that way I can try them when I am not wearing anything else.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 12th August 2009 at 03:03 AM.
    Evenstar

After doing a test on my skin, Wazamba most resembles Chaos, but with the volume turned up. Here are the notes for both:

Wazamba notes: Somalian incense, Kenyan myrrh, Ethiopian opoponax, Indian sandalwood, Moroccan cypress, labdanum, apple, fir balsam

Chaos notes: sandalwood, cardamom, cinnamon, padukwood, agarwood, saffron, clove, amber, musk, sage, lavender, chamomile, coriander

They are not identical, but I can see some similarities on the feel and the notes. Wazamba louder and a bit sweeter. Also both seem pretty linear to me.

Costes not so similar in the opening, but in the same style.
    Costes notes: lavender, bay-tree, coriander, white pepper, rose, incense, woods and light musc

Idole by Lubin is boozier, but could be a relative.
    Idole notes: Rum absolute, saffron, bitter orange peel, black cumin, Doum palm, smoked ebony, sugar cane, leather, red sandalwood

Caravelle Epicee dryer and not sweet but also has some similarities
    Caravelle Epicee notes: Coriander, nutmeg, hot pepper, pepper, thyme, Gaiac wood, patchouli, amber, tobacco, sandalwood

Wazamba is very long lasting and the incense is not churchy, but woody.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 12th August 2009 at 06:01 AM.
    Evenstar

Thanks guys for your input.

@ cazaubon - Interesting. I have a nice spray sample from Aziyade, and I thought it is a very Lutens-like fragrance, particularly like Arabie on steroids.
    If I think about Aziyade without the huge cumin/cardamom and dried fruits, it does sound interesting indeed but perhaps not something I am looking for. We’ll see.
    Btw, I see you have stated your opinion at Luckyscent.

@ Tonyprince – I will try Fougere Bengale this fall at last. I have been holding it off just because I was always repulsed by the tiger hunt concept and image, but I have got over it now. Everlasting Flower is one of my top 5 favourite notes so I am sure I will love it.

@ arwen_elf – I have tried the some of those scents you made the comparison for. For example I think both Chaos ans Idole are gorgeous and, it seems to me that based upon your opinion this should be something fruity-woody with spicy incense bite (?)
    I am surprised to hear that the coniferous theme is not that prominent at all on this.

ps. Please try that Ambre Russe sometime.

I have promised myself no more but two full-size bottle purchases the rest of this year, and Wazamba is one of those scents that are nominated on my short list. Other ones are Fille en Aiguilles (Lutens), Fougere Bengale (PdE), Fahrenheit Absolute (Dior), Ambre Narguile (Hermes) and perhaps couple more...
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 13th August 2009 at 04:46 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I have promised myself no more but two full-size bottle purchases the rest of this year, and Wazamba is one of those scents that are nominated on my short list. Other ones are Fille en Aiguilles (Lutens), Fougere Bengale (PdE), Fahrenheit Absolute (Dior), Ambre Narguile (Hermes) and perhaps couple more...
    Impressive list PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Impressive list PM.

Thanks.

I started to think what are my other options for those two scents that I have allowed myself to buy this year….
    Fille en Aiguilles, Fougere Bengale, Fahrenheit Absolute and Ambre Narguile are the ones I still am about to test before my decision. I just presume these scents should be right up my alley.

Of which I have tried and I am intrigued to buy and consider them as a “challengers” for those new and yet unknown ones: Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade (Absolutely wonderful scent but a large 120ml bottle that’s only available is a minus partially because of the price, and I am overwhelmed to think owning that big bottle of this particular scent)…..Le Labo Oud 27 (Tasty stuff but the longevity is a bit unsatisfying on my skin)….SL Cuir Mauresque (Another 5 star fragrance in my book, but I already own Knize Ten which I like even more than CM, and obviously these two have significant similarities)….

Hmm….

I still have a high hopes for Wazamba although I have started having some sceptical thoughts towards that one; not that I suspect but to like this one, but is it good enough to be in that top two…

Again, I shall see.
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 13th August 2009 at 08:06 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    ....I wrote a college paper on King Sunny Ade back in the noble period upon which you most righteously opine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    'Juju Music' is a masterpiece (from 1982, I think)....
    Yaaaay!!! King Sunny Ade is one of Nigeria's best musicians (writing this doing a jig to imagined trado-electronic Sunny beats) - the king of Yoruba Juju music.

See a picture of the Wasamba rattle at http://www.motherlandmusic.com/shakers-rattles.htm

On topic: I had hoped Wazamba would be on sale at London's Les Senteurs while i was there at the end of July. No dice, unfortunately. Notes look very interesting. I hope it makes up for my mild disappointment with Fougere Bengale and Cuir Ottoman.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Yaaaay!!! King Sunny Ade is one of Nigeria's best musicians (writing this doing a jig to imagined trado-electronic Sunny beats) - the king of Yoruba Juju music.

See a picture of the Wasamba rattle at http://www.motherlandmusic.com/shakers-rattles.htm

On topic: I had hoped Wazamba would be on sale at London's Les Senteurs while i was there at the end of July. No dice, unfortunately. Notes look very interesting. I hope it makes up for my mild disappointment with Fougere Bengale and Cuir Ottoman.
    Having looked at your wardrobe, I don't foresee you lovin' the Wazamba, but be sure to let us know what you think.

Tried Wazamba today at Aedes, (their tester is now officially empty). My first impressions: take the aldehydes of Commes des Garacon 2 Man and layer them over a watery version of Ambre Sultan. Presto, WAZAMBA!
    Nice, but nothing special.
    The same goes for 3 Flowers. Who needs another jammy rose without any grandeur? NEXT!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th August 2009 at 04:34 AM.

Here is the blurb, from Luckyscent's posting of today.

Wazamba
    Eau de Parfum
    by Parfum d’Empire

The Scoop
    Named after a musical instrument often used in initiation ceremonies in Western Africa, Wazamba symbolizes an inner journey characteristic of many great civilizations. This is an homage to the tradition of burning incense to purify oneself and one’s surroundings. The fragrance combines the aromas of Somalian incense, Kenyan myrrh, Ethiopian opoponax, Indian sandalwood and Moroccan cypress into a composition of astounding depth. The bitter freshness of the coniferous note lifts the luxurious mix of resins, bringing a certain airiness and translucency into the dark and soulful blend. The unexpected and delightful addition of a delicate fruity note softens the solemn arrangement, adding another lighter dimension, and reminding us that the most enlightened souls are childlike and carefree. A new favorite for the lovers of incense and balms!

Wazamba Notes
    Somalian incense, Kenyan myrrh, Ethiopian opoponax, Indian sandalwood, Moroccan cypress, labdanum, apple, fir balsam
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    The same goes for 3 Flowers. Who needs another jammy rose without any grandeur?
    It worked for Black Aoud. *runs*

Love at first sniff for me. My Wife had the same reaction. I make it a ritual to try a new fragrance sample everynight. My Wifes usual comments are - you already have something like it. Last night was Wazamba night. What a georgeous wonderul strong powerhouse, room filling sillage, long lasting frag. The most wearable incense I've tried. This scent is so well balanced, and agrees with my nose so much, I had to go buy a 50ml bottle this morning.

If you enjoy Fourge Bengale, then Wazamba should be high on your must sample list.

I received my 100ml bottle from Luckyscent today, wore it earlier this evening and I love it.

Oh i LOVE the name. Can someone compare it to CdG's Zagorsk for me?

Off-Scenter

Bump.

I'm wearing a sample right now, and I'd characterize Wazamba as a spicy, woody incense composition in the Duchaufour or Lutens/Sheldrake vein. There is a peculiar tension between the warm, sweet opoponax and labdanum and cool, astringent pine and myrrh in this scent that I find very compelling. I look forward to spending more time with it.

And yes, it does bear some resemblance to Zagorsk, especially at about two hours into its development.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 10th October 2009 at 01:51 AM.

Has anybody compared Wazamba to Fille en Auguilles?
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Has anybody compared Wazamba to Fille en Auguilles?
    These two are remarkably similar aren't they?
    Fille en Aiguilles Notes are: Pine needles, vetiver, sugary sap, laurel, fir balsam, frankincense, candied fruit and spice.
    Wazamba notes are:
    Somalian incense, Kenyan myrrh, Ethiopian opoponax, Indian sandalwood, Moroccan cypress, labdanum, apple, fir balsam

It is remarkable that two fragrances so similar would be released at exactly the same time. I smell the pine and fir more strongly in the Serge Lutens Fille while the apple and incense is stronger in the Wazamba. Also the Lutens Fille en Auguilles is a bit more intense and has stronger projection and sillage. But other than these differences they both have elements of incense, green woods of fir, pine and cypress and a little sweetness (apples in Wazamba and candied fruit in Fille en Auguilles). Between the two I prefer the Serge Lutens as the pine incense aspect is really beautifully done. Both are fine fragrances for fall and winter.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 9th October 2009 at 05:37 AM.

Since it came oput i was intrigued to try it, yesterday i did and i found it to be a little of a let down.
    I so got to love strong, edgy spice bombs as lutens ambre sultan, tauers marocain & the alikes that this is just too subtle for me.
    I have to admit I wore it only once and a very tiny amont but this time all i got were a little aldehydes on top of apples, woods, and too little incense and myrrh blended to a sweet, unremarkable, nice mash up. I will try again however. (mind changing reserved )

Thanks Buzzlepuff!
    Great analysis
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    These two are remarkably similar aren't they?
    Fille en Aiguilles Notes are: Pine needles, vetiver, sugary sap, laurel, fir balsam, frankincense, candied fruit and spice.
    Wazamba notes are:

It is remarkable that two fragrances so similar would be released at exactly the same time. I smell the pine and fir more strongly in the Serge Lutens Fille while the apple and incense is stronger in the Wazamba. Also the Lutens Fille en Auguilles is a bit more intense and has stronger projection and sillage. But other than these differences they both have elements of incense, green woods of fir, pine and cypress and a little sweetness (apples in Wazamba and candied fruit in Fille en Auguilles). Between the two I prefer the Serge Lutens as the pine incense aspect is really beautifully done. Both are fine fragrances for fall and winter.
    Coincidence: I was thinking of these two as being similar, and then I read this thread confirming it. Good to know. I loved the SL when I smelled it in NY...I hope I get a bottle before the cool weather gets here. More than likely I'll have to get a decant of it.

I do see the smilarities mentioned by Buzzlepuff between Fille en Aiguilles and Wazamba. On me the pine is more pronounced in Fille and the incense is more prominent in Wazamba. I like both and will be definitely wearing them alot through the upcoming cold-weather.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Morning Star

The "cool astringency" in Wazamba mentioned by Vibert is the big difference I saw between it and Fille en Aiguilles, which I felt was much more pine-like and sweet. I'll admit I'm not much of a fan of Wazamba, but then my expectations of Parfum d'Empire rose quite a bit when they came out with Fougère Bengale and Cuir Ottoman. So the bar was already set pretty high.

Just read the tip on nowsmellthis to apply liberally to get the scent out of hiding. This might just do the trick and make it as spectacular to me as i had hoped for.

Someone mentioned this scent vis-a-vis Caravelle Epicee. The Frapin is on my short list to acquire so how does the Wazamba compare to the Frapin scent? I do have 2 Man for a reference, and to me, I like the white smoke, but it is a linear scent on me, and after 3 hours, a skin scent (and I love projection)

I really don't find Wazamba that similar to Caravelle Epicee. Both of them are on my short list to acquire too.

I think I like Caravelle Epicee more. It is beautiful, Wazamba is more powerful, both are very nice.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 18th October 2009 at 03:51 AM.
    Evenstar

Wazamba and Caravelle Épicée? No, I cannot see any similarity, to be perfectly frank.
    On my skin, Wazamba is pretty fruity. Incense is not so prominent. Let my say it like this: Wazamba is 80% of Aziyadé and 20 % of Zagorsk, on me (on the paper, the ratio is a bit different).
    As an admirer of Pd’E previous scents, I had the huge expectations from Wazamba. Well, maybe my expectations were unrealistic.
    On the other hand, Caravelle Épicée is one of the most beautiful scents I have ever tried. I am so pleased to have it in my wardrobe.

Elf and Yolk: How then is the projection and longevity of Caravelle Epicee?

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    Elf and Yolk: How then is the projection and longevity of Caravelle Epicee?
    Caravelle Épicée is a dry, ambery, spicy, amazingly rich scent, without unnecessary sweetness. It projects pretty well. It’s interesting: whenever I smell it from the bottle, I think “mmmm…. peppery”, but when I apply it on the skin, the first note I can smell is amber, although only for a while. A part, which comes after that, I would call “an invasion of spices”. Coriander, (a lot of) pepper and nutmeg show up. I should not forget tobacco, which is also there. Sandalwood and amber are prominent in the drydown that is somehow creamy.
    Caravelle Épicée does not have a monster sillage but it is certainly not shy. I am quite satisfied with its longevity, as well (about 8-9 hours on my, middle oily skin).
    This scent may be the perfect choice for the people who like un-sweet oriental scents.

I cannot talk about the projection since I have a small "dabbing" sample of it. About longevity, I think it is pretty good. My small samples has lasted over several applications. I think I need a larger sample with a sprayer, although I would love to have a full bottle.

I agree with peevish_yolk's descriiption. It is very beautiful.
    Evenstar

By pure coincidence I got a 7.5ml free sample of Wazamba in a goodie bag from Les Senteurs the other night when I bought a bottle of Fille en Aiguilles. And it nearly went straight into my swaps box - a) because of the scary name (although I love African music!) and b) because of the initial headachy / aldehydic whiff . . . but then it dried down very fast to a lovely warm woody incense, which immediately reminded me of my new purchase! I still prefer the Lutens - I slightly prefer its mix, it lasts longer and feels classier and more mysterious to me. But I'm going to wear Wazamba to the London reunion of les Quatre Etoiles de Congo tonight!
    Will there be a proper basenotes review page up for Wazamba soon?