Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Parfum d'Empire Wazamba

I just found this information. This one sounds promising to me. I really like this house, but their most recent two releases (Aziyade and Yuzu Fou) weren't my kind of thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one, although the apple note sounds like he may have borrowed a bit from LV's Incensi. We'll see

http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/07/09...new-fragrance/
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 16th July 2009 at 06:34 PM.

Default Re: Parfum d'Empire Wazamba

This sounds wonderful. I have all ten of their previous fragrances and am looking forward to this one too.

Note-wise it sounds interesting, as for the name, well it sounds like a new catchword for "yay we did it!!" "Wazamba!!!"
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Basenotes Institution

LOVE the name.

The list of notes starts with aldehydes, which has me scared.

I will definitely give it a try, but whenever I see apple in a list of notes, I'm generally wary. It just doesn't seem to be something I want to smell like. That being said, I'll sample anything.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 16th July 2009 at 07:17 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

With that name, am i the only one who thinks of that Bud commercial? Waz up?
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

As a huge fan of PdE’s scents, I am extremely impatient to try both “3 Fleurs” and “Wazamba”.
    It is pretty confusing to me that I have not found any information about these two eau de perfumes on the official PdE site.
    As far as I know, wazamba is an African musical instrument (please, correct me if am wrong).
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 16th July 2009 at 08:00 PM.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Very interesting! Myrrh always peaks my interest, and myrrh and aldehydes have me wondering if this is PdE's take on Lutens' La Myrrhe? Opopanax and fir balsam are definitely notes that don't get along with me, though...

3 Fleurs also looks worth checking out. Tuberose, jasmine, and rose - three of my favorite notes, and ones that can be done SO many different ways that listing them tells me nothing. I'm hoping it's rich and complex and heady.

I guess I'm the only one to hate the name. Wazamba? WTF

My pal : Dude, what's that scent?
    Me : er.. Wazamba
    Him : ...
    Me : ...

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post

I don't know, but it does sound like it should have an exclamation mark at the end, like Dzing!

Him: What are you wearing?
    Me: WAZAMBA!!!
    Him: Sorry - didn't mean to offend you...

Did somebody mention ***PINE***? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I got a heads-up on this from fellow Conehead awayalonealong, and I certainly look forward to trying it. I like Iskander very much.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Probably the worst perfume name of the decade, so far. It sounds more like the title of some long forgotten African album - you know, one of those horribly dated (and ill-fated) 'cross-over' albums, from the '80s, that diluted the regional sound in favour of cheesy synthesisers and some dodgy drum machine programming...

The first few releases by Parfum d'Empire were decent, although not to my liking. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, something's gone wrong and their last few offerings have been hideous. So, I won't be holding my breath.
    Last edited by Trebor; 16th July 2009 at 11:29 PM.

I'm interested in trying this although the list of notes looks a bit 'weird' - apple & pine, together?
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Probably the worst perfume name of the decade, so far. It sounds more like the title of some long forgotten African album - you know, one of those horribly dated (and ill-fated) 'cross-over' albums, from the '80s, that diluted the regional sound in favour of cheesy synthesisers and some dodgy drum machine programming...

The first few releases by Parfum d'Empire were decent, although not to my liking. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, something's gone wrong and their last few offerings have been hideous. So, I won't be holding my breath.
    Hey man, it's the best perfume name ever (at least for today) and besides I wrote a college paper on King Sunny Ade back in the noble period upon which you most righteously opine.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Hey man, it's the best perfume name ever (at least for today) and besides I wrote a college paper on King Sunny Ade back in the noble period upon which you most righteously opine.
    'Juju Music' is a masterpiece (from 1982, I think).

LOL! Fair enough but it's one of those associations I can't quite shake off...

Molten Gin

WAZAMBA!!!!!

Yes, great name. From my past experience with PdE, this one would probably sill like mad and have a drastically changing progression from top to base. **adds it to the wishlist**

Aedes will start shipping this the first week of August. I assume others who carry the line will have it about the same time.

All I could find on the history of this name is - a midwife in African tribal society. WAZAMBA is the title or name for a wize elder woman or specifically for a midwife in the tribal society of the Bantu people in Africa.

I am guessing the name was selected just because it sounds good and possibly because they wanted the fragrance to have a tribal, natural or African feel to it? I look forward to the fragrance no matter what the name is.

Anyone else know more about where this name originates from or the significance of its selection for this fragrance?

My best guess is that it is an alternate spelling of Wasamba, which is apparently the name of a tribal people in the bushlands of East Africa. Here's a link:

http://www.ntz.info/gen/n01354.html

What this would have to do with pine forests and incenses though, is anybody's guess!
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 25th July 2009 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff
    Anyone else know more about where this name originates from or the significance of its selection for this fragrance?
    I would say a few words about it; Unfortunately, I do not know the Italian language well enough, but for the people who do know…
    http://www.extrait.it/3-fleurs-e-waz...arfum-dempire/

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff
    I look forward to the fragrance no matter what the name is.
    Absolutely!
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Oh, I was at Scentbar yesterday and it did not even occur to me to ask if they had testers yet.
    Good excuse to go back.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post

No, I hate it too, for reasons stated in another threads. Comic strip talk, pseudo-exotic schtick. Sounds like the name of an African dictator in a racist soldier-of-fortune B-Movie.

Edit; But it's actually a real word:
    http://www.africainmusica.org/instru...troWasamba.htm

Still not a good choice, I think.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 25th July 2009 at 06:32 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I love the name and this is one of the very few fragrances at the moment that I am dying to try for.

PdE is a great house and M-A Corticchiato is an extremely talented perfumer.

In Wazamba the apple note definitely does it for me; that combined into confireous notes with resins brings water right into my mouth. I think I will love this one - a lot.

I will test this as soon as possible.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    In Wazamba the apple note definitely does it for me; that combined into confireous notes with resins brings water right into my mouth. I think I will love this one - a lot.

I will test this as soon as possible.
    I have to say I had the same feelings when I read the notes list - they sound promising. PdE is not a house that I've fallen for...yet. I've tried a handful of scents and thought some were okay and one was horrible, but nothing has clicked yet. I think the name is neat.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

OK. I just got my sample from lucky scent and I reserve the right to radically change my mind later, but my first impression is disappointment. It's very sweet and smells a bit like a very weak M7. Not a good lighter M7 like M7 Fresh, just like something vaguely reminiscent of M7, but weaker and sweeter. I'm getting a bit of the apple now, which is very genuine smelling and adds some brightness, but unfortunately also adds even more sweetness. It's not a terrible scent, but upon first exposure, I can't imagine buying a bottle of it with all of the options out there for this kind of fragrance, but if taking M7 and LV Incensi and dumping them together and then gutting them of all edginess appeals to you, then you might find this FBW. I'll be very curious to hear what others think. I'm not usually the first person on here to report on a fragrance - in fact, I think this is the first time so I'm very interested to hear how others respond to this one!

Thanks Tonyprince.
    I'd also love to hear more feedback on this - the notes are good enough that almost make me want to blind buy it (but we all know that's not going to end well).
    I'm trying to wrap my mind around a weak, sweet M7. I might like that after all!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I wore my sample this week. I liked it very much. I wore it the day after I tried Pure Oud and I liked it better (not that this factoid says much). I found it very incensy and spicy. I could barely perceive the apple and it came across as some sweet fruit at the heart and drydown that balances the incense and spices. It had good longevity and projection. I also got my sample from Luckyscent and had to dab, there is not enough to transfer to a sprayer. I probably will get a 2.5 ml sample when available at TPC. and may revise my opinion.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I wore my sample this week...

Hey arwen,

Could you compare this scent to anything that´s already out there..?? Tonyprince was talking about some similarities with M7 and LV Incensi - do you have something else in mind, perhaps?

I can´t wait to try this; I am just forced to wait that TPC will add this on their selection.

On a side note, arwen, I was visiting your wardrobe and I noticed that you still haven´t tried Ambre Russe (Parfum d´Empire)...Now, what is you´re excuse for such a huge injustice?!!?

I found this a bit similar to Aziyade, minus the cumin and the stewed fruit notes. Very warm, spicy and woody. I liked it a lot.