Code of Conduct

Default "The lotion is a must for me" what about you?

I do not like to wear frag with out the lotion. I hate to buy perfume that doesn't come with the lotion. what about you?
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Default Re: "The lotion is a must for me" what about you?

I don't either!! When I wear the lotion and the perfume it last sooo much longer!

I must admit I rarely bother with the matching lotions. I use an unscented lotion most of the time. Some years ago, though, I used to use strongly perfumed lotions by themselves, e.g., Shalimar, Opium, Oscar, Samsara. They were a nice way to wear fragrance on their own, especially in cold weather.

Basenotes Institution

I love using the Shalimar Silky Body Lotion which still floats around ebay for a song and I don't particularly like their new Shalimar Sensational Lotion- it's watered down compared to the Silky stuff.
    I wish Jicky and Vol De Nuit came in lotion form !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I only use lotion on occasion, but if you're talkin' scented shower gel - I'm buyin'!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I must admit I rarely bother with the matching lotions. I use an unscented lotion most of the time. Some years ago, though, I used to use strongly perfumed lotions by themselves, e.g., Shalimar, Opium, Oscar, Samsara. They were a nice way to wear fragrance on their own, especially in cold weather.
    I usu. not not use the scented lotion nor buy the scented lotion. (If it comes in a set, then OK...) The only scented lotion I wear alone is the lait for Cabotine because it's so powerful.

I use unscented lotion as a base for my scents: Nivea Calming Cream works well for me.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I quite like using scented lotion, but my skin is so naturally oily that any moisturizer is basically an open invite to acne. I make my own moisturizer and carrier oil, so I stick to the fragrances for now!

I used to be big on by the gift sets w/ the lotion and/or shower gel, so I have a lot of them. My problem is I am always running late in the mornings that I rarely remember to use them. lol I should try a use it up challenge and see how many bottles I can empty. I have far too many.

I used to only wear scented body lotion but they aren't moisturizing enough for me and too $$ for the amt I'd have to use on my dry skin. I'm all about Alba unscented moisturizer these days.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I can take it or leave it. It really depends on the lotion. Sometimes I think the lotions are a poor quality and the scent sours. Also, one of my big pet peeves is when the lotion doesn't smell like the original fragrance. I really want to sample lotions before I buy which is often difficult. All that said, when they go well together, it is lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    lol I should try a use it up challenge and see how many bottles I can empty. I have far too many.
    If you decide to start one, I'd be more than game to join you! I'd love to shrink my collection by using up bottles.

I actually prefer not to buy matching lotions. I like to concentrate just on the perfumes themselves. That said, I have bought gift sets once in a while, because of the bargain / value. And when I do, I quite enjoy the matching lotions and sometimes prefer their fragrance to that of the edt or edp. But I find that distracting... I know I'm weird. I've also found that the lotions tend to go bad faster than the perfumes, so that's no good for me with the number of fragrances I have.

When I do use the lotions, I tend to use them alone instead of layering with the spray. And I use the lotions as fragrance, not as moisturizers. I always use unscented lotion all over after my shower. I may mix a tiny bit of the fragranced lotion with the unscented lotion. Or I just apply a little of the fragranced lotion on top in a few areas.

I don't usualy bother with the matching lotions and shower gels because I tend to shower at night and then apply my lotion before bed (rather than in the morning because I am perpetually running late!) so I use scented gels and lotions but not necessarily those that match a perfume.

I have found some of the lotions that match perfumes not to be of the best quality and to turn sour/off rather quick. So I prefer to use a lotion that has a good moisturising quality rather than for layering with scents.

The lotion is not a factor for me when purchasing fragrance. I mostly use unscented lotion and wear a perfume over it. I wear body lotions occasionally and then I don't tend to wear the matching fragrance -- it becomes too much for me. But it's nice for layering of different but complementary scents, i.e. rose & amber -- yum!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

If there is a lotion available for the frag, then I'm getting it. Y'all know Diva loves her lotion. I usually won't buy a frag unless it has a lotion with it. It seems that lately they have been putting out alot of frags without anything to go with them. This just kills me because I'll find something I love, but there isn't a lotion to go with it. I usually can find something that will blend with it pretty well. I have to have my lotion.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I would love to use matching scented lotion but I always find them too light for my dry skin. So I use unscented ones.

One of the things I do is to take a healthy amount of my unscented lotion and add a spritz or two of whatever I'm about to wear as a scent and make my own scented lotion. It seems to work pretty well, for me.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by plumeria View Post
    I actually prefer not to buy matching lotions. I like to concentrate just on the perfumes themselves. That said, I have bought gift sets once in a while, because of the bargain / value. And when I do, I quite enjoy the matching lotions and sometimes prefer their fragrance to that of the edt or edp. But I find that distracting... I know I'm weird. I've also found that the lotions tend to go bad faster than the perfumes, so that's no good for me with the number of fragrances I have.

When I do use the lotions, I tend to use them alone instead of layering with the spray. And I use the lotions as fragrance, not as moisturizers. I always use unscented lotion all over after my shower. I may mix a tiny bit of the fragranced lotion with the unscented lotion. Or I just apply a little of the fragranced lotion on top in a few areas.
    This is what I do too. However, since moving back to California, I need sunscreen more often, so I end up wearing that instead. I don't need the lotion, but it can be a nice add on once in a while. I love the little mini gift sets some companies make--wish more fragrance houses would do something like that!
    Last edited by Asha; 17th July 2009 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    One of the things I do is to take a healthy amount of my unscented lotion and add a spritz or two of whatever I'm about to wear as a scent and make my own scented lotion. It seems to work pretty well, for me.
    This is a great idea! I have oily skin, so I just use a light unscented lotion on the dryer areas. I rarely buy matching perfumed lotion unless they're in the little gift/travel sets that Asha mentions below.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    ...However, since moving back to California, I need sunscreen more often, so I end up wearing that instead. I don't need the lotion, but it can be a nice add on once in a while. I love the little mini gift sets some companies make--wish more fragrance houses would do something like that!
    Yes to the mini travel sets. Those are fun! Asha (or anyone), do you have a recommendation for an unscented sunscreen lotion that works well on face and body? I like to keep things simple for grooming products, makeup, etc.

Basenotes Plus

I always layer Samsara with it's body lotion, tis lovely!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I'm a one-lotion woman.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Blog Entries

I love the lotion, if it's a good fragrance match. It's not a deal breaker, though. if a scent doesn't have lotion or matching products, I'll still get it.

One of the best lotions out there, IMO, is Eau d'Hadrien...Really Yummy, even on its own.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I rarely use the matching lotions. I usually use lotions and body creams at night, so I pick something simple or sweet for bedtime.

Now, I wish more fragrances were available in dry oil spray. I only have a few frags in that form, but what I have, I love!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 18th July 2009 at 01:02 AM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I rarely buy it. I am more likely to get the cream, but again just rarely. Still, there are some exceptional creams out there (and I will not count Malle's Beurre Exquise):

Must de Cartier
    Coco
    Trouble
    Angel
    Vera Wang (I don't care for this and am including it strictly for the large amount of pure perfume in contains)

Often I find the body products useless for more than scent. Stella, for instance, has an expensive body cream that doesn't moisturize. This always perplexes me.

For unscented sunscreen, I like Neutragena Age Shield. Eucerin also has a new unscented body lotion that contains sunscreen called Everyday Protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    For unscented sunscreen, I like Neutragena Age Shield. Eucerin also has a new unscented body lotion that contains sunscreen called Everyday Protection.
    Thanks Asha! I will take a look!

If I really love the scent I will buy the scented lotion as well,
    providing there is one! My recent favourite is the Eau de Rochas
    Body Lotion. It's wonderful in this warmer weather with it's top note
    of verbena. I also use Cristobal, Roma and Habanita body lotions.

Sometimes I use the lotion alone especially if it is strong like Escada Magnetism.
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I love the lotion, if it's a good fragrance match. It's not a deal breaker, though. if a scent doesn't have lotion or matching products, I'll still get it.

One of the best lotions out there, IMO, is Eau d'Hadrien...Really Yummy, even on its own.
    Yes, I'd forgotten! Annick Goutal lotions are very nice - highly perfumed, true to the fragrance, very emollient, good quality. I would buy those in a heartbeat. Can I change my mind? And I agree with Orion about some of the creams that come in a jar. I've used some of those over the years, too. They are luxurious. I wouldn't use them for layering so much as alternative ways of wearing fragrance. Body oil sprays (Chanel) sound nice, too, especially for summer. Ok, I'm convinced.

Sur la Plage

Tom Ford Black Orchid Body Cream (not the lotion) is to die for!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

If it's available I prefer the cream formulation to the lotion- allegedly cream is scented with the parfum.

But (broken record here) Chanel No5 body powder is one of the nicest scented body products I've ever used. In hot steamy weather sprinkly lightly on sheets......lovely.

I only use lotion or cream with "fragrance free" tag on after became a perfumania, I want to enjoy perfume without distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    this is a great idea, I got to try it.

I love to match fragrance with the lotion at night when the frag can take a boost without knocking anyone out of their shoes. Availability and variety tend to be problems in the Caribbean. My collection is small at the moment - I've got matching lotions for Le Parfum Lalique, Alien, The Exact Friction of Stars and Tiptoeing through Chambers of the Moon.

Basenotes Institution

I do like lotion with the fragance to match but I have discovered it depends on what fragrance and what lotion. Fracas body lotion is awful ( watery and smells like doll plastic ! ) and doesn't do anything wearing it with the EDP or extrait - you may as well just use unscented Eucerin . I wil try the thicker Fracas cream now.
    Opium body lotion/cream is too strong and I really can do without it or everything becomes overwhelming. Shalimar lotion - the old stuff - not the new in the blue bottle- is wonderful .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 8th August 2009 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I only use lotion on occasion, but if you're talkin' scented shower gel - I'm buyin'!!!
    I'm with UBU here - I love starting with the shower gel (and like to wash my hair with it occassionally), and top with EDT or EDP. When I do wear scented lotion, I usually find that's all I need and wear it alone.

Dependent

I only use unscented lotions, and only when I'm in air-conditioned environments for many hours straight. Its really humid here, so my skin doesn't get dry too often...

Sometimes the lotions are irritating to my skin and don't smell as good as the actual fragrance.
    For those reasons I don't bother with them.

Perhaps it's sour grapes? If I felt they were worth the cash then I'd think they were great? Maybe?
    At the present I prefer lotions with natural ingredients. Wish I knew of some all natural unscenteds.

It would be nice to have the matching lotion for dry hands. And to refresh the scent later in the day.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: "The lotion is a must for me" what about you?

I use Mitsouko and Shalimar body lotions with their respective fragrances as a layering technique. Meathod:Body lotion, 2 spitzes of edt and one spritz on the chest of edp.

I generally dislike perfumed lotion - there so often seems to be some other smell in there, that spoils the scent that I want. But I have to agree that the one Goutal lotion that I have is startlingly true to the perfume, to the extent that I could effectively just use it _as_ perfume.

Perfumed bath oil, on the other hand, usually seems to be true to the fragrance.

Crayfish

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    At the present I prefer lotions with natural ingredients. Wish I knew of some all natural unscenteds.
    I've just bought l'Occitane's Shea Butter Mom & Baby Balm for a pregnant friend. It is 100 % natural and unscented. It is certainly richer than a lotion though. I'm sure it's worth checking out (even for non-Moms or Babies) as I love l'Occitane's Shea Butter products.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    If it's available I prefer the cream formulation to the lotion- allegedly cream is scented with the parfum.

But (broken record here) Chanel No5 body powder is one of the nicest scented body products I've ever used. In hot steamy weather sprinkly lightly on sheets......lovely.
    I 'll have to remember the tip re. body powder- I never know what to do with body powder !
    Yes, Chanel No 5 body products are to die for !!!!!!!!!!

I also tend not to bother with the lotions unless I'm getting a gift set. I prefer to wear organic, unscented body lotions that won't interfere with my perfume. However, I have tried layering frags with their matching lotions (Prada, Gucci) and it does make the scent last longer. And I also sometimes just use the lotion on its own when I just want a hint of scent (not as a moisturizer though, just for the fragrance).

Miss Casey, the best place I've found to pick up all natural unscented lotions is your neighborhood Whole Foods market. They have a large cosmetic area and carry many organic and all natural lotions - some of which I know are unscented.
    Last edited by JitterpigJen; 8th August 2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I use Mitsouko and Shalimar body lotions with their respective fragrances as a layering technique. Meathod:Body lotion, 2 spitzes of edt and one spritz on the chest of edp.
    I must have this! Esp the Mitsouko. Do you remember where you found it?

I love scented lotions and creams. In fact, I'm hoarding several tubes of DK Labdanum lotion.