Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Top 10 Fragrances for Summer 2009

I have a few scents that evoke the smell of summer (in my mind), but I usually don't wear those in summer - instead reserving them for cooler seasons (Eau des Merveilles by Hermes, for instance).

But here I am in the thick of summer - it's pretty hot out there, isn't it? - and the warm and humid conditions here in Miami make it almost impossible for me to wear some of my spicy orientals and heavier scents (even lightly applied). I just feel better wearing certain scents in my wardrobe.

This year these ten (10) were my go-to scents when I knew I'd be sweating outside with the family BBQ, at the gym, at the beach, cleaning the yard and gettin' hot and steamy (well...not that kind of hot and steamy):

Virgin Island Water by Creed. Do I even need to explain this one, people? It's a whole summer vacation crammed into a bottle (cocktails, beach, sand & more). Yes it's overpriced and it's a Creed (I know, I know...) but put this one on, in the heat, and see how it works its magic.

Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma (Blu Mediteranneo ). How did they manage to get this to smell JUST like tangerine rind. Unlike some flat citrus scents, this one smells alive and wet - as if the citrus is constantly being misted with water. I spray about 30 sprays (no lie) to get it to stick to my skin. When I wear this and Acqua Viva by Profumum, I feel like that 3 chewing gum commercial. Ahh!!

Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash by Guerlain. Regular Guerlain Vetiver (the EdC is my favorite) can be worn in summer, but the transparent and emollient based liquid of the Refreshing Body Splash flanker is a little less stuffy while still retaining the classy and masculine elements that make the original such a hit. I found my huge 6.8 oz glass bottle of it online at Beauty Encounter.

White by Comme des Garcons. My staple Summer Oriental. 'Nuff said.

Cologne A La Russe by Institut Tres Bien. Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo, as if it was curated by Tom Ford. You need to splash this on - instead of spraying it, and dumping a bunch of it on skin seems to get it to stick. Sadly this, like some others on my list, is officially discontinued.

Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia by Guerlain. Even better than Series 5: Sherbet Peppermint by CdG, AAM has an aromatic (herbal) element to it that lingers and billows together with the mint - not competing with each other. They play nice together. Smells like you're chewing Altoids gum and sipping iced chamomile tea without the throat burn.

Declaration Eau de Genereuse by Cartier. In the buffet of Declaration flankers, this one is the 'citrus, fresh, eau-cologne style' Declaration. Helg (from Perfume Shrine) says it reminds her of Terre de Hermes. For me, it makes the Cartier scent user friendly for hot climates like mine. I swear there's mint or eucalyptus in DEdG even though I cannot smell it, because wherever I spray this I feel a cooling effect after it dries. I love the classy-beer-keg bottle too.

Booster by Lacoste. I confess, I'm a little mint-ally insane. If you're a mint / eucalyptus / menthol fan like I am, then ignore the insect-pesticide-looking bottle (and the fact that most Lacoste masculine scents suck) and get, thee, a bottle of this juice!

Calamus (Series 1: Leaves) by Comme des Garcons. Go outside and find a plant with thick, full leaves. Pull a leaf off the closest branch to you. Tear it cross ways. Inhale. That's what Calamus smells like. The most NATURAL smelling fragrance in the entire Comme des Garcons line. It doesn't get any greener than this.

Azuree Soleil Eau Fraiche by and/or Bronze Goddess by Estee Lauder. I rarely wear fragrance when I go to the actual beach (Why, the natural smells are so wonderful by themselves?) but ever so often if I am going somewhere before I go to the beach I reach for this juice. Besides incorporating a subtle coconut note in with some gentle white florals, there is a salty rock note that smells like those craggy, weather beaten rocks along rocky coastlines. (Side note: I have tested ASEF and BG side-by-side and they are the same juice.)

That's my list. What's yours?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th July 2009 at 10:15 PM.

Default Re: Top 10 Fragrances for Summer 2009

I gonna have to think about this but, I wanted to say now that I always enjoy reading your description of fragrances; nicely done! I am now inspired to throw on my sample of VIW! I am also curious about the ADP one as well!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

1) Creed - Selection Verte - This has to be the ultimate summer fragrance for me. I'm so happy I was able to procure it, as it has a gentle, natural mint that turns into fresh cut grass and lime. Gorgeous.

2) Acqua di Parma - Colonia - And Assoluta for winter. Can't go wrong with these ones.

3) Frederic Malle - Vetiver Extraordinaire - The ultimate raw vetiver that is somehow still able to go on smooth and dry down smoother.

4) Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo - Somewhat along the lines of AdP Colonia, though richer in spice and sandalwood. "Sparkling" was the word used in a description that really stuck with me.

5) Creed - Green Valley- It's such a bright scent that reminds me a bit of L'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe insofar as how vibrant and green it is. I love it.

6) Le Labo - Rose 31 - I don't know if I'd wear it to the beach on a hot day, but I've found it to be absolutely elegant and one I reach for often.

7) Eau d'italie - Paestum Rose - I find it's nicer for the summer than Rose 31 and a bit more uplifting and yes, "sweet". Wine and roses watching the sunset at the beach.

8) Profumum - Acqua Viva - Delicious! It's a bit linear on me, but it has a profound quality and is a citrus that lasts and lasts... what more can you ask for?

9) Amouage - Reflection Man - Surprised that a fragrance so opulent, with so much fortitude and tenacity could be a summer formal scent. This one really stands out, and I wish I had more!

10) Lorenzo Villoresi - Vetiver - A rich, heavy vetiver (heavier than Malle's VE, heavier than MPG's RdV). It's nice for the cooler days - I go for it more in the autumn.
    Last edited by AnthonyDG; 16th July 2009 at 10:52 PM.

Sur la Plage

Mugler Cologne
    Azuree Soleil Eau Fraiche Skinscent
    Beth Terry Creative Universe Mare
    Creed Virgin Island Water
    MPG Bahiana
    CDG Vettiveru
    New West Skinscent for Him
    Puro Lino
    Kouros Cologne Sport
    La Cologne Fleur du Male
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Those all sound amazing! I'm definitely gonna keep my eyes open for them. I'm still trying to find my own summer frags. So far I've found 2 that I like.. it's a start!

Cumming by Alan Cumming - Someone told me it smelt like grass.

Unbound For Men by Halston - Summer favorite. Clean, fresh and aquatic.

Aoud Leather by Montale - I think of this as Tuscan Leather Summer Version with the fresher leather note.

As:4 by Colette - The best lime scent mixed with some iris.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer Perfumes - The oriental I can pull off in the summer.

Original Vetiver by Creed - Soapy and smells like fresh cut grass in the topnotes. The only vetiver scent I enjoy.

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren - Smells like the original Polo mixed with some oxygenic. Weird, but good.

Cologne Blanche by Christian Dior - I wore it every summer night till I finished my bottle. I also enjoyed splashing it on.

Domenico Caraceni Pour Home (1913) by Domenico Caraceni - One of my favorite summer evening scents. The roses I love and my biggest compliment getter all year, also my most worn scent.

Jubilation XXV by Amouage - Elegant, nice and transparent enough for summer.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 16th July 2009 at 11:23 PM.

Forgive my short list, but as summer comes in limited quantities up here, I'm only going to give my summer five.

1. Frederic Malle En Passant. I love this, but here isn't where its true magic was revealed to me - it was this June, in Miami. I carried no fragrances with me, but it was my scent of the day for my trip south ( chosen to be inoffensive to the folks beside me on the plane ). Upon landing and hitting the velvety sauna air of a South Florida summer evening, the sillage bloomed enormously and was enveloped in a cool, green lilac mist that become intensely vivid; like I'd brought a northern morning with me.

2. Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur. Big surprise! This is highly wearable in the warm. Yes, it's creamy and sweet, but there's a certain cool, clean, almost petrochemical quality to the musk note that saves it becoming either too powdery, too gourmand or too animalic, and so far is the only "summer safe" heavy musk I know.

3. Serge Lutens La Myrrhe. I love myrrh, but a hot day can kill the charm of a resinous oriental. La Myrrhe saves the day by soaking its myrrh in aldehydes and making it sparkle in the heat.

4. Caron L'Anarchiste. What can I say? It's a great, clean, citrus-musky-conifer fragrance that stands up to the hottest weather. I don't smell the gore and steel in this - at ALL.

5. Frederic Malle Carnal Flower. A limpid, green tuberose that's all charm and cool evenings and dreamy, uncomplicated thoughts. Welcomes a vase of tuberoses into your summer.

( Hmm, this list is surprisingly Malle-heavy... didn't even notice that till I was done! )

I wear the below all year around (with the exception of VIW) but they are most appropriate for summer.

Geo F Trumper GFT

AdP Colonia Assoluta

Mugler Cologne - Just awesome

PdN Cologne Sologne - Fleeting but beautiful neroli based classical cologne

Creed Virgin Island Water - Ideal for the beach

Chanel pour Monsieur - Work on a hot day

Creed Green Valley - The most underated Creed IMHO

Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose - This is a dry, dark, fruity and woodsy rose. The black knight to AdP Colonia's white knight.

Lubin L'Eau Neuve - A chypre done well, oakmoss overdose

Parfum 'dEmpire Iskander - A citrus extraordinaire
    Last edited by jathanas; 17th July 2009 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Removed AdP Colonia added GFT

I dont even think I have 10 summer frags in my rotation btu here goes:

Azzaro Chrome Legend
    Polo Black
    Polo Blue
    Adidas Moves
    Aqua di Gio
    Ed Hardy Love and Luck
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    Ralph Lauren Wild
    Platinum Egoiste
    Lise Watier Neiges

No particular order...

Laura Tonatto - Albi
    Laura Tonatto - Iss
    Kouros Fraicheur
    Hugh Parsons Blue
    YSL - Opium Eau d'Orient (2006)
    Gai Mattiolo Uomo

1. Ice*Men

2. L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme

3. Dior Homme

4. Minotaure

5. Guerlain Vetiver

6. Bulgari Aqua pour Homme

7. Coconut Lime Verbena

8. Concentree d'Orange Verte

9. L'Air du Desert Morocain

10. Geir
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 17th July 2009 at 09:05 AM.

Rive gauche
    Cool Water
    Live Jazz
    Adidas Victory League

Hmm barely have ten colognes total let alone 10 summer ones.

Off-Scenter

Magnolia Romana for a brisk, cool, peppery aquatic vibe without a perceptible trace of calone.

L'Ea de Ryokuei for the most ethereal, crystalline watery floral accord I've ever worn.

Citrus Paradisi for uber-refreshing woody-animalic grapefruit.

Geranium pour Monsieur for mentholated musky-herbaceous goodness.

Jailia for a tropical island vacation vibe.

Globe for something sweet, yet not heavy, cool, but complex.

Déclaration for animalic leather and spice in a bright tenor register.

Jardin de Kerylos for figs.

Une Fleur de Cassie for dirty, dirty animalic flowers.

Virgilio for that great, green, grassy meadow accord.

Tubéreuse Criminelle, Ciel, Idole, Cuir Pleine Fleur, Bahiana, and Czech & Speake Neroli have been getting lots of wear as well.

I love VIW , like wall street, but maybe my favorite for very hot days and not mentioned is coney island.
    IMO coney island has to be worn to get a feel for it. After about 15min and the top lemon notes wear off a little its awsome.
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I love VIW , like wall street, but maybe my favorite for very hot days and not mentioned is coney island.
    IMO coney island has to be worn to get a feel for it. After about 15min and the top lemon notes wear off a little its awsome.

funny you mention it...that is one of my favorites as well

I don't have a top 10 because I do not have enough for summer but here is what I have been wearing for the summer though in NYC we have not been having really hot summer weather yet:

1) Silver Mountain Water

2) Coney island Water

3) Green Irish Tweed

1. Hermes Concentre D'Orange Verte
    2. Creed Millesime Imperial
    3. Creed Selection Verte
    4. Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes
    5. Sisley Eau De Campagne
    6. RL Polo Sport
    7. Maitre Fraiche Badiane
    8. Davidoff Cool Water
    9. Creed Erolfa
    10. Creed Silver Mountain Water

Smile Re: Top 10 Fragrances for Summer 2009

These are the ones I have been reaching for in these lovely Houston summer days:

01) Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

02) Chanel Allure Homme Sport

03) Tiffany for Men Sport

04) Mugler Cologne

05) Creed Millesime Imperial

06) Creed Silver Mountain Water

07) Creed Green Irish Tweed (An all year workhorse!)

08) Chanel Platinum Egoiste

09) Issey Miyake

10) Chez Bond

Best

TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 17th July 2009 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Remove Virgin Island Water

These are the ten summer fragrances that are my top 10:

Cologne Sologne - neroli and herbs
    Chanel EDC - clean pure citrus fresh edc.
    Hermessence Paprika Brasil - fresh, tart green woods.
    Eau de Sisley 2 - light florals and green freshness
    TDC Sel d' Vetiver - the brightest fresh vetiver
    L' Essence de Declaration - light woods, cedar, birch and rosewood. Very fresh.
    By Killian Straight to Heaven - kind of a party with light patchouli
    Mugler Ice•Men - fresh and very cool.
    Geranium pour Monsieur - green, rosey and refreshing all at once.
    Bois d' Armenie, Guerlain - smoothe vanilla incense fragrance
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 18th July 2009 at 01:08 PM.

Morning Blossom
    Mugler Cologne
    Bleecker Street
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Mitsouko
    Selection Verte
    Eau du Coq
    Tokyo - Guerlain
    Gendarme
    Virgin Island Water
    Sales thread here

Mugler Cologne
    Lancetti via Condotti pour homme
    Guerlain Vetiver *vintage*
    Montana pour homme *blue box*
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Kouros
    Bond Eau de New York
    Terre D'hermes
    Live Jazz
    Platinum Egoiste

AdP colonia
    VIW
    GIT
    Jazz YSL
    Eau Savage
    Mugler cologne
    L´Homme by Versace
    Kenzo PH
    Aqua Marine by Bulgari
    Aqua by Bvlgari
    Enternity CK
    Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

1. Etro Lemon Sorbet
    2. Loewe Agua de Loewe
    3. Luciano Soprani Uomo
    4. Hermes Eau d'Orange vert concentrate
    5. Creed Original Vetiver
    6. Carthusia Uomo
    7. Cartier Santos Sport
    8. Kouros Cologne Sport
    9. Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    10. Tauers L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Last edited by jenson; 17th July 2009 at 08:13 AM.

Basenotes Plus

1. Mugler Cologne
    2. L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme
    3. Dior Eau Sauvage
    4. Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    5. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    6. CdG Vettiveru
    7. Angeliques Sous La Pluie
    8. Bigarade Concentree
    9. Tam Dao
    10. L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer
    I love cologne.

Summer is officially behind us here in India. The monsoons are with us now after which it'll warm up a bit before delving into a short lived winter. Here's my top 10 list, in no specific order, irrespective of season :

1) Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve -- Anyone who's read my review of this scent knows that I'm a slave to this magnificent juice. Amber, woods, incense and animalic musk done in a rather sensual manner. This puts me in the mood for some lovin, literally.

2) Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere -- Another BNer described this juice as "drop dead gorgeous" on another thread, and I concur!

3) Parfumerie Generale Bois de Copaiba -- I was never a fan of "orange" in fragrances until I stumbled upon this little gem. Probably one of the most resinous and rich scent I've ever used, unbelievably potent and lush. Sample it to believe it!

4) Serge Lutens Amber Sultan -- Densely herbal with ambery underpinnngs, works surprisingly well in the heat. Don't be afraid to wear this bad boy out on the hottest of days.

5) Serge Lutens Chergui -- Such a complex and amazing juice, one of my all time favorites. Leather, tobacco, honey, hay, musk never smelled so good together.

6) Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain -- Middle eastern spice-fest, ambery and incensy, this is another juice that works better in the heat, IMO. Beautiful stuff.

7) Amouage Jubilation XXV -- Complex, transparent and very wearable. Class and sophistication in a bottle.

8) Amouage Dia for Men -- Quite possibly my favorite floral scent, followed by PG Louanges, Dia seems to outclass XXV by a margin. The drydown on this is to die for.

9) Khadin Attar -- Amouage Reflection Man, meet Khadin -- your BIG brother. Unbelievable longevity, great sillage, and outshines Reflection on all fronts IMO.

10) Arafat Attar -- Bears some resemblance to Chanel's Allure Homme Sport. I could call it the Allure Sport with a middle eastern twist. Absurdly good longevity, but slightly softer and low sillage.

Phew!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Dependent

Its tropical weather all year round, but I personally found these the best for the hottest, most humid of days thus far

Creed Erolfa
    Creed VIW
    Creed SMW
    Creed Royal Water
    Creed Love In White
    Bvlgari Aqua
    Loewe Solo
    Bond no.9 Gramercy Park
    Ormonde Jayne Isfarkand
    Leau D'Issey

1. AdP Colonia
    2. Villoresi Uomo (EDT & Profumo)
    3. Villoresi Yerbamate
    4. Carnal Flower
    5. Vetiver Tonka
    6. Chanel Coromandel
    7. Goutal Madragore
    8. Goutal Duel
    9. AdP Cipresso di Toscanna
    10. Vanille Galante

My top 10 summer frags in no particular order in reference to favoratism.
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Vesace Man Eau Fraiche
    Geranium Pour Monseiur
    Guerlain Vetiver
    M7 Fresh
    Bois d'Orage
    Amouage Reflection Man
    L'eau d'Issey
    Paul Smith Story
    Millesime Imperial

I own one fragrance now so I have to say

Montale - Red Vetyver...probably my Holy Grail or close to it.

I also have worn a good bit:

Faerie Made Wild Bergamot
    Faerie Made Chandon Rose
    Faerie Made Sandalwood Amber

These are essential oil perfume sprays...essential oils with pure grain alcohol.
    My SO has inspired me to use more organic and natural fragrances.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 17th July 2009 at 02:08 PM.

Original Vetiver
    GIT
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Neroli Sauvage
    AdP Colonia Intensa
    Racquets
    Eau des Baux
    Gris Clair
    Escada Homme
    Jubilation XXV

Azzaro Chrome & Visit
    Antonio Puig Sybaris
    Cool Water
    Puro Lino
    Etienne Aigner #2
    Lanvin Arpege
    MPG Bahiana
    Gucci Envy
    Parfums de Nicolai New York
    Creed Acier Aluminum
    Lalique le Lion
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Ormand Jayne Man
    Tiffany PH
    Chanel Egoiste
    Shiseido Basala
    Lubin L'eau Neuve
    Nautica Voyage

Monsieur Balmain
    Mazzolari by Mazzolari
    Une rose chyprée
    Sycomore
    Timbuktu
    Fleur de Sel
    Lauder for men
    Amir by Laura Tonatto
    Albi by Laura Tonatto
    Devin

Post Re: Top 10 Fragrances for Summer 2009

No particular order...

1. Eau Pour le Jeune Homme..MPG
    2. Eau d'Hadrien..Annick Goutal
    3. Racine..MPG
    3. Blenheim Bouquet..Penhaligon's
    4. Eau Sauvage..Dior
    5. Eau de Rochas Homme..Rochas
    6. Live Jazz....YSL
    7. Acqua di Parma Colonia..AdP
    8. Pour Homme..YSL
    9. Lavanda Tonica..AdP
    10. Any, and all Vetivers you see in my drobe. My favorite note.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Amit,

Reflection has a big brother? More details please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Summer is officially behind us here in India. The monsoons are with us now after which it'll warm up a bit before delving into a short lived winter. Here's my top 10 list, in no specific order, irrespective of season :

1) Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve -- Anyone who's read my review of this scent knows that I'm a slave to this magnificent juice. Amber, woods, incense and animalic musk done in a rather sensual manner. This puts me in the mood for some lovin, literally.

2) Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere -- Another BNer described this juice as "drop dead gorgeous" on another thread, and I concur!

3) Parfumerie Generale Bois de Copaiba -- I was never a fan of "orange" in fragrances until I stumbled upon this little gem. Probably one of the most resinous and rich scent I've ever used, unbelievably potent and lush. Sample it to believe it!

4) Serge Lutens Amber Sultan -- Densely herbal with ambery underpinnngs, works surprisingly well in the heat. Don't be afraid to wear this bad boy out on the hottest of days.

5) Serge Lutens Chergui -- Such a complex and amazing juice, one of my all time favorites. Leather, tobacco, honey, hay, musk never smelled so good together.

6) Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain -- Middle eastern spice-fest, ambery and incensy, this is another juice that works better in the heat, IMO. Beautiful stuff.

7) Amouage Jubilation XXV -- Complex, transparent and very wearable. Class and sophistication in a bottle.

8) Amouage Dia for Men -- Quite possibly my favorite floral scent, followed by PG Louanges, Dia seems to outclass XXV by a margin. The drydown on this is to die for.

9) Khadin Attar -- Amouage Reflection Man, meet Khadin -- your BIG brother. Unbelievable longevity, great sillage, and outshines Reflection on all fronts IMO.

10) Arafat Attar -- Bears some resemblance to Chanel's Allure Homme Sport. I could call it the Allure Sport with a middle eastern twist. Absurdly good longevity, but slightly softer and low sillage.

Phew!

I like that many lists don't come close to only containing summery scents! Lots of variety of styles are represented.

Thus far these have received the most attention from me this summer:

1. Guerlain Philtre d'Amour - uber citrus
    2. Hermes Vetiver Tonka - edible vetiver
    3. Eau Fraiche de Christian Dior - radiant citrus
    4. Pour Monieur '55 - chypres rule
    5. Givenchy III - see no. 4
    6. Chanel Bois des Iles - because I got a vintage bottle
    7. Dior Homme Cologne - perfection
    8. ELDO Nombril Immense - transparent patchouli
    9. Mugler Ice *Men - coffee + patchouli over ice
    10. Eau d'Hermes - because it is Eau d'Hermes

Interesting my list has almost no niche....

I actually love the summer fragrances. Here's my list.

1. Mugler Cologne - All around staple. You cannot go wrong here.

2. John Varvatos Artisan
    3. Virgin Island Water
    4. Vetiver - Guerlain
    5. Light Blue - D & G (Not the Men's one. The unisex one.)
    6. Citrus Verbena Summer- L'Occitane
    7. Hermes D'Orange Verte
    8. Very Cool - Tommy Bahama. Now this one I wear because it never ever fails to get me a compliment as basic, non- silliage, non-longevity as it is.
    9. Burberry Summer - 2008
    10. Acqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa
    11. Habit Rouge Sport - Guerlain
    12. Green Tea Tropical - Elizabeth Arden - For when I get out of the shower and just want to chill.
    13. Eau de Paco Rabanne pour Homme - Another just out of the shower juice.
    14. Shower Fresh for Men - Clean

Thanks Mike for the Thread.

Best,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 18th July 2009 at 02:10 AM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Amit,

Reflection has a big brother? More details please!!
    Khadin is a local blend, not sure about pricing etc. as I've received it as a gift myself. I'll try and dig up more details on that aspect

It opens with a very intense blast of Iris and a couple other florals which I'm unable to identify atm, blended with a dense "bark" of woods accord, vetiver and benzoin -- up close it reminds one of Reflection but the sillage whiffs are where the real magic is. Unmistakably Reflection Man "Intense"

Ah wow! Now I've got to be a pest and PM you

Khadin is a local blend, not sure about pricing etc. as I've received it as a gift myself. I'll try and dig up more details on that aspect

It opens with a very intense blast of Iris and a couple other florals which I'm unable to identify atm, blended with a dense "bark" of woods accord, vetiver and benzoin -- up close it reminds one of Reflection but the sillage whiffs are where the real magic is. Unmistakably Reflection Man "Intense"

1. GIT
    2. Allure Homme Sport
    3. Original Vetiver
    4. Chrome
    5. Hugh Parsons Blue
    6. L'Eau D'Issey
    7. Gucci Pour Homme II

Interestingly(to me), Chrome was my favorite summer scent at the start of the summer ( about 2 months ago here). Now I find myself reaching for it less and less as the summer wears on.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Ah wow! Now I've got to be a pest and PM you
    Kein problem mate

For this summer I'll be wearing Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive and Chanel Platinum Egoiste. Keeping it simple it seems!

1. Bond9 Riverside
    2. Bond9 Bleeckers st.
    3. M7 Fresh
    4. Paul Smith story
    5. Creed SMW
    6. Bvgari extreme
    7. Bvgari aqua
    8. Vesace man freich
    9. Ck Be
    10. CDG Sequoia
    Last edited by cmax; 17th July 2009 at 08:12 PM.

1. L' eau par Kenzo pour Homme
    2. Bergamotto Marino
    3.Signoricci
    4. Eau de Rochas pour Homme
    5. Monsieur Balmain
    6. Yatagan
    7. Versace L' Homme
    8. Monsieur de Givenchy
    9. R de Capucci
    10. Habit Rouge edc

Andy Tauer L’Air du désert marocain
    Hermès Concentré d’orange verte
    Terre d’Hermès
    Dior Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir
    Masaki Matsushima M;Men
    Guerlain Habit Rouge Sport
    Romeo Gigli Sud-Est
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Jardin du Nil
    L’Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo PH
    Fragonard Eau des Garrigues

L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Encre Noir
    Chergui
    Rose31
    Jubilation XXV
    Dior Homme Intense
    Bois d Encens
    Purple Patchouli
    Aoud Damascus
    Musc Pavageur

Funny how I used to be an nonbeliever of specific scents for specific seasons. I've been such a hypocrite these past months

1. Clive Christian 1872 for men: Starts out with a rich, herbal citrus, then slowly loses its fougre-edge and becomes a "lactonic chypre" (well...Gucci Rush or X for Women basically).
    2. Etro Vetiver: I bought this about three weeks ago, and have been utterly disappointed about it's sillage and longevity. Usually fragrance lasts longer on fabric, but this was a joke. A couple of hours into the scent and nothing...just a mere hint of smokiness. Voila, problem solved: this needs sweat to bloom!!
    3. Moss Breches: what's better than the whiff of mossy beeswax taking you by surprise in the humdity of summer.
    4. Chinatown: mutual satisfaction of both your gourmand and chypre demons.
    5. Iris Bleue Gris: the perfect iris for summer: citrusy, slightly powdery and timeless.
    6. Sarrasins: an unapologetic jasmine that never crosses the line into cloying while giving it a leathery edge.
    7. Tubereuse Couture: a wintergreen tuberose that has the most gorgeous sweet sugarcane note I have ever smelled. It's also fresh in a minty sort of way.
    8. Miel de Bois: It's smells much nicer on hot sweaty skin, than on fabric. A wonderful summer oriental.
    9. Eau du Fier: this is a chameleon. You spray this when you go out, you don't smell it for the next six hours, then all of a sudden...WHAM!!! Tar, smoke and tea!
    10. LaDdM: hate to sound like a broken record, but...ehm...perfect summer oriental.
    Last edited by scent; 18th July 2009 at 02:22 AM.

1) Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve
    3) Parfumerie Generale Bois de Copaiba
    4) Serge Lutens Amber Sultan --
    5) Serge Lutens Chergui --
    6) Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain Beautiful stuff.
    7) Amouage Jubilation XXV --
    8) Amouage Dia for Men -- Quite possibly my favorite floral scent, followed by PG Louanges
    9) Khadin Attar --
    10) Arafat Attar --

Phew!
    Wow ! Amit ... It seems that we must have exceptionally (and unusually) very similarly wired up noses !!! ... Or we certainly respond excatly the same way to the same scents! (I've never encountered that before !) ... For I would easily say that these are amongst my top scents as well ! (Except for the last two Khadin and Arafat which I have not had the pleasure of sniffing yet. But under the circumstances I will now make doubly sure to hunt them down. As I am almost certain to enjoy them just as much, going by the previous track record !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 18th July 2009 at 03:51 AM.

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

And Mike ... Thank you so much for putting me onto "Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma (Blu Mediteranneo )" ... For I too have been on the hunt for a scent that evokes that perfect tangerine rind. ... And from your description, this one seems exactly like what I have been looking for.
    I have been on the hunt for a tangerine scent ever since sampling Micallef's "Ete" , the "Summer" scent from her four seasons collection. Which is also the most mouthwatering tangerine rind of a scent that I have ever come across, so far. But I didn't really want to get the other 3 scents in the cofret, just to get my hands on the "Ete". ... So it seems that this "Arancia di Capri" will hopefully do the trick ! ... (I hope it's also a little more affordable !) ....
    So thank you so very much for this (another) excellent tip !!!

I tend to go to simple fragrance during summer time. And this year a lot of revisiting of old
    friends:

Comme des Garçons Odeur 53: It still works wonders. 11 years old now, who would
    have thought that? The person I'm seeing at the moment and who has been presented to
    a few of my fragrances always say this one smells the most like me. She made a conn-
    ection I've never done before smelling it, but now agree upon: Red clover
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifolium_pratense)

Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien: So simple. So beautiful. Love it from opening blast
    until the last parts of the dry down.

Yves Saint Laurent Live Jazz: For cooler days.

Beth Terry Mare: I never really cared for this fragance before, but it has it's purpose.
    Wearing it today. Smells both moist and light at the same time. Also very simple, but
    simplicity can often be beautiful.

Guerlain Eau de Cologne Impériale: For obvious reasons.

One fragrance I've yet to purchase, but which I recieved a sample of recently and now
    LOVE, is C&S Neroli. What a fantastic fragrance. Oh, I'm also fond of a sample of
    Le Labo Neroli 36. Don't know if I like it enough to fork up the cash necesarry though.
    Last edited by shifts; 18th July 2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Forgot Imperiale

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Wow ! Amit ... It seems that we must have exceptionally (and unusually) very similarly wired up noses !!! ... Or we certainly respond excatly the same way to the same scents! (I've never encountered that before !)
    Cheers to that bro

In no particular order, since more then one should get the top spot:

ADP Colonia
    Eau d'Orange Verte
    Mugler Cologne
    Eau Sauvage (neither extreme, nor faricheur Cuir)
    (oddly) Baldessarini Ambre
    YSL pour Homme (not concentree)
    Boss Elements Aqua
    Azzaro Visit
    Loewe para Hombre
    Trussardi Jeans

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    Guerlain Eau de Cologne Impériale: For obvious reasons.

I do love this as well....Just wished it lasted longer.
    Last edited by Otto; 18th July 2009 at 04:23 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Top 10 Fragrances for Summer 2009

While it is still available look into Fendi Esprit d'ete. It is IMO better than the flagship and when you close your eyes you can feel the heat and wind comming off the beach. Be careful though as it is habit forming. Discontinued so, good luck finding it but, it is out there.

In no particular order:
    Anice (Etro)
    Eau de Sisley 2
    Mirto di Panarea (Aqua di Parma)
    Sanguine Muskissime (MPG)
    Vetiver (Annick Goutal) often layered with Sarassins (Serge Lutens)
    Angel Schlesser
    Route du Vetiver (MPG)
    Centaure (MPG)
    Bulgari pH Soir (recently discovered)
    Anthracite pH (Jacomo) (not very summery but recently aquired)

D&G PH
    Chanel Allure Sport
    SMW
    Himalaya
    Issey Miyake
    Platinum Egoiste
    Gris Clair
    Gucci Envy
    L'air Desert etc
    Ambre Sultan