Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default New L'Artisan Parfumeur scent: Havana Vanille

For all of you vanilla fanatics out there (and I know Basenotes is chock full of them)...Now Smell This reports

L’Artisan Parfumeur will launch Havana Vanille, a new fragrance that captures the “aged rum and sweet air of Cuba”, this fall.

Havana Vanille was developed by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour, and the notes include leather, rum, clove, dried fruits, narcissus, tonka bean, helichrysum, vanilla, smoked woods, moss and balsamic notes.

L’Artisan Parfumeur Havana Vanille will be available in 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum.

How 'bout that one-two-three punch of: vanilla, Duchaufour and L'Artisan? My eyes just glazed over.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th July 2009 at 09:50 PM.

Default Re: New L'Artisan Parfumeur scent: Havana Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My eyes just glazed over.
    Mine, too. Sounds delicious!

wow..sounds sumptous ...

Sounds great!

But where is L'Artisan distributing from in the US these days? Lol

sounds good to me!
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    Sounds great!

But where is L'Artisan distributing from in the US these days? Lol
    I think Starbucks has exclusive distribution now.

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    sounds good to me!
    It sounds great to me!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

This sounds really good ( going by the notes). I won't hesitate to order a sample when they are made available.

Read about it last week on some blog. Great news indeed, but it also sounds like it could be either a great hit or a complete miss, which worries me slightly.

NST posters seem to be Duchaufour worshippers, no? Not that there's anything wrong in that

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Great news indeed, but it also sounds like it could be either a great hit or a complete miss, which worries me slightly.
    Coming from Duchaufour, i highly doubt it will be a complete miss.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    NST posters seem to be Duchaufour worshippers, no? Not that there's anything wrong in that
    I've been known to worship at the foot of BD myself.

But I guess I'm just excited that L'Artisan is coming out with another vanilla scent. I tried Vanilia several times and just hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    I'm hugely into vanilla and I'm just getting an uneasy feeling about this. Let's hope you're correct.

I've been known to worship at the foot of BD myself.

But I guess I'm just excited that L'Artisan is coming out with another vanilla scent. I tried Vanilia several times and just hated it.
    Yes, that's what is contributing to what I feel about this new launch, Mike. I haven't tested Vanilia myself, but the feedback i've been receiving on this one was utterly dismal -- which more or less squelched any and all desire I had left remaining to test it myself.

Like I said above, I hope i'm wrong and Havana Vanille does live up to most expectations.

I'm not a big vanilla fan and I really didn't care for L'Artisan's Vanilla when I tested it, but this one definitely sounds worth a sample!

This one sounds like a more complex Tobacco Vanille, which I always thought Robert Redford would smell of in the film Havana.

Anyways, I'll check it out since I tend to like Duchaufour creations.

Sur la Plage

I am looking forward to trying it!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Can't wait either. This really sounds good!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Interesting news, Mike!

I'm not a big fan of Duchaufour but I do respect his work. However, L'Artisan is a bit late in jumping onto the rum and vanilla bandwagon. I also very much doubt that the longevity of Havana Vanille will even be 1/20th of the strength of, say, Tobacco Vanille...

This sounds very nice. I'm acually excited to hear this news. L'artisan is a house that makes beautiful scents unfortunately on me they last two hours. I only own Fou d'absinthe because Its an EDP. However this definately sounds like it might last longer cause of the vanilla and it's an EDP. I'll keep a nose out for it.

Another plus is that it won't cost $300 a bottle.

Sounds interesting.

Called Havana and no tobacco in it? Color me disappointed already!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Ah, but it has rum manicboy.

I guess it drinks, but doesn't smoke. Like some Cubans I know.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Being a great fan of Tobacco Vanille and Duchaufour, I am definitely looking forward to sampling this one as well.

However, unless I am mistaken, I believe he created the Aedes de Venustas EDP, and perhaps not properly characterized as a complete miss, it is definitely one that I will pass on for $175 USD. On my skin, it is just not worth it.

TJ

I'm with you here - the only L'Artisan I've owned a FB of was Fou d'Absinthe, as an EDP. While they have many beautiful scents, I just didn't find they had much in the way of longevity or sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    This sounds very nice. I'm acually excited to hear this news. L'artisan is a house that makes beautiful scents unfortunately on me they last two hours. I only own Fou d'absinthe because Its an EDP. However this definately sounds like it might last longer cause of the vanilla and it's an EDP. I'll keep a nose out for it.

Another plus is that it won't cost $300 a bottle.

Exciting news, indeed! The ingredient list is right up my alley. I have to admit, every L'Artisan that I've owned, I've ended up selling. I've yet to find one to connect to. Maybe this time?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th July 2009 at 02:09 AM.

So did I, it reminds me of a bowl of ice cream that has been forgotten out in the sun.

HV sounds interesting, must give it a go!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

I think Starbucks has exclusive distribution now.
    LOL!

And judging from the composition of this particular new drink fragrance, Starbucks isn't exactly a bad place to front it, either. Hold the Iso E Super!

does anyone feel it'll take the CDG 's Ourzazate direction...? i hope it does....cant wait for this one..

With regard to Vanilia, HV sounds completely different and more in line with the current fashion of thick, smoky/boozy vanilla. It's not really fair to compare modern vanillas to Vanilia, which is both decades old and seeks to present a transparent, light vanilla (exactly what's not in style today). For what it is Vanilia is good and I get sillage/longevity equal to average niche scents. I'm surprised people seem to be predisposing themselves to not like a scent.

I'm surprised people seem to be predisposing themselves to not like a scent.
    Odd, I don't see people doing that, and I don't think it's any member's business should anyone.
    Last edited by DustB; 17th July 2009 at 06:16 AM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

It's not really fair to compare modern vanillas to Vanilia, which is both decades old and seeks to present a transparent, light vanilla (exactly what's not in style today).
    Transparent? Light??

I found Vanilia sticky, sickly sweet and suffocating. But that's just me.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

About time!

It's been 31 years since L'artisan released a vanilla scent anyway.

Neiman Marcus department stores carry L'Artisan (and Serge Lutens). I stop in regularly and will definitely try this when it comes out.
    Last edited by stuigi; 18th July 2009 at 04:31 PM.

It is about time, like some one already noted. I haven't been excited about a L'Artisan
    release in a while now. The last handful of releases has been nothing but dissapointments.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    It is about time, like some one already noted. I haven't been excited about a L'Artisan
    release in a while now. The last handful of releases has been nothing but dissapointments.
    Yeah, I agree. The last L'Artisan releases I really liked were Dzonghka and Fou d'Absinthe in 2006. I am going to sample this one (and the one they're making for Scent Bar) when they come out, though. The Aramis re-release of Havana, which is happening at about the same time Havana Vanille is appearing, may not be the best news for L'Artisan.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    That was my immediate thought too (LOL). ... I am thinking that the possibility that the "tobacco" will be in there anyway, even though not mentioned in the notes, is probably quite high. I will actually be very surprised if it is missing from it all together. (They seem to, at very least, be adding in some "smoke" (with the "smoked woods"), if not exactly "tobacco" as such !)
    Though I must say, I was not actually disappointed about this, if the "tobacco" is indeed missing from this one. ... In fact I would actually very much prefer it if is indeed tabocco-less. ... I think we've been having more than enough tobacco/vanilla compositions already as is. ... It will be much more preferable (to me) to have a nice rich vanilla without the tobacco, for a nice change ! ...

And thanks very much for that "heads-up" Mike ... As a self confessed vanillaholic, I am really hoping this one will "do it" for me. It's sounding quite delicious, I think !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 18th July 2009 at 10:22 PM.

I will be all over this. Thanks for the heads-up mike.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    This one sounds like a more complex Tobacco Vanille, which I always thought Robert Redford would smell of in the film Havana.

Anyways, I'll check it out since I tend to like Duchaufour creations.
    I too got the sense this would be a vanilla tobacco scent. Could this be the subtle version I've been searching for? Can't wait to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    That was my immediate thought too (LOL). ... I am thinking that the possibility that the "tobacco" will be in there anyway, even though not mentioned in the notes, is probably quite high.

Though I must say, I was not actually disappointed about this, if the "tobacco" is indeed missing from this one. ... In fact I would actually very much prefer it if is indeed tabocco-less. ... I think we've been having more than enough tobacco/vanilla compositions already as is. ... It will be much more preferable (to me) to have a nice rich vanilla without the tobacco, for a nice change ! ...
    Completely agree with this opinion .... someone please lose the tobacco it's getting old.
    While SDV may have the consummate vanilla drydown - was the smoke really called for ?

I am really excited about this one. I visited Havana this year, love rum, love vanilla. A bit of smoke would be nice. As we all know, a list of notes may hint at a fragrance, but then again.....

So excited, does anyone know when L'artisan will release this wonderful sounding (and hopefully long lasting with great sillage) scent
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Little Update : Well , aha ! It seems my hunch was totally correct after all ! ... I have just found out that indeed there is a tobacco note in HV ! (as was expected !)
    It has some "sensual" tobacco leaves amongst the vanillary rum. Though apparently it is not as strong or as "masculine" a note as in TF's Tobacco Vanille. Being rather just much more nuanced and in the background. (But it's more all about the actual leaves, rather than the "smoky"). And it's there more to add that "Havana" exotic touch/feel, apparently.
    It's also apparently nothing like SDV. ... With the vanilla being very much more apparent from the very beginning ... and staying all the way through till the very end ! (Yay!) And not as "drowned out" as it is in SDV.
    Apparently the vanilla note is just like fresh scraped vanilla pods, being totally true to the source. (Yipee! ) ... Two vanillas are used ~ Mexican and Madagascan .
    And it mostly smells just like vanilla infused rum !
    Apparently longevity is also not that bad (I have heard 6-8 hours). Which would be very impressive indeed for a L'Artisan.

Well, it still sounds pretty much yummy to me !!! ... I think it's highly probable that I'm gonna be a big fan !

And as far as release date ??? ... Am not sure here I'm afraid ??? ... Perhaps (hopefully!) a couple of months ??? (Though I know that's really no help LOL)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 22nd July 2009 at 05:13 PM.

Its been a while since I had been this excited by an upcoming L'Artisan ..and its an EDP, which probably means that it will be EDT-like in its tenacity and sillage. From the notes it sounds like Mr. Incense-here-and-incense-there-and-everywhere-everywhere-incense-incense is finally branching out after running the incense theme into the ground (have I mentioned incense enough yet?...I am hoping for a smokier less grating lutens -like accord in this one.
    -

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    ...from the notes it sounds like mr. Incense-here-and-incense-there-and-everywhere-everywhere-incense-incense is finally branching out after running the incense theme into the ground (have i mentioned incense enough yet?....
    LOL, funny.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd July 2009 at 01:24 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

This sounds like it's going to have a "dirty" vanilla vibe going on, me likey!

I really do hope there's atleast a HINT of tobacco in this, it's not quite Havana, Cuba unless there's tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    This sounds like it's going to have a "dirty" vanilla vibe going on, me likey!
    I really do hope there's atleast a HINT of tobacco in this, it's not quite Havana, Cuba unless there's tobacco.
    I have found a slightly different notes pyramid from the one above.

Top : Rum , Mandarin , Orange , Clove
    Heart : Dry Fruits , Narcissus Absolute , Rose , Tobacco Leaf
    Base : Madagascan + Mexican Vanilla Absolute , Tonka Bean , Benjoin , Tolu Balm , Vetiver , Musks

So this should keep you tobacco luvrs happy. ... Though, as I have somewhere above before ... the tobacco is apparently much more subtle in this one.

Now this is one I can definately look forward to. I am a tobbacco fan, and this one sounds great!

Now Smell This has posted a review:
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/08/20...erfume-review/

From the review: ...this is nothing like the heady punch of sweet pipe tobacco that you get from, say, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

...Havana Vanille reminds me of Guerlain’s Spiritueuse Double Vanille in several respects.

...L’Artisan Havana Vanille launches in October, and will be available in 50 ($115) and 100 ($155) ml Eau de Parfum.

Well, I'm sold

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Now Smell This has posted a review:
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/08/20...erfume-review/

From the review: ...this is nothing like the heady punch of sweet pipe tobacco that you get from, say, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

...Havana Vanille reminds me of Guerlain’s Spiritueuse Double Vanille in several respects.

...L’Artisan Havana Vanille launches in October, and will be available in 50 ($115) and 100 ($155) ml Eau de Parfum.

Well, I'm sold
    I was looking forward to this, until that SDV comparison was made. I hope that is not what I will think when I try it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sounds interesting. It'll sound fascinating when Duchafour stars working with iso e super or fennel.

When I saw that they compared it to SDV an absolute favorite, that I have been worried about cost-wise ever since smelling it, I was sold! L'Artisan prices, instead of Guerlain's? I'm there!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

This sounds great for the coming fall. I think Blue Mercury sels the L'Artisan line.