Code of Conduct

Default NYC Fragrance District shopping

So I have been mining the NYC fragrance district (dozens of semi-sketchy "Wholsale stops") for some classics.

I really want to pick up Yatagan and Ungaro III. This seems to be a good place to pick up the "vintage Juice" as opposed to the newer bottles.

Should I be going for the vintage with these two or is there no discernible difference?

Any other common classics that the basenotes crowd would recommend pursuing in vintage that might actually be found in these shops?

Default Re: NYC Fragrance District shopping

I'm not a fan but I ave friends that swear the old version of Yatagan is superior to the current formula. As a general matter you can pick up good finds on vintage designers if you know what you're looking for. The problem is that not all sellers are unsophisticated and they will price d/c scents accordingly. If you see a deal too good to be true it probably is. I've heard stories of fake D&G By Man bottles selling cheap. Contrast that with a shop selling a real bottle for $500. Obviously be prepared to haggle prices, one of the joys of NYC!

If you have tie try to hit Aedes (w.village), the beauty level of Bergdorfs, and the fragrance department of Bendels (both 5th Ave midtown). Quite frankly those spots are a lot better for sniffing then the fragrance district.

Default Re: NYC Fragrance District shopping

[QUOTE=shermanirving;1565748
    If you have tie try to hit Aedes (w.village), the beauty level of Bergdorfs, and the fragrance department of Bendels (both 5th Ave midtown). Quite frankly those spots are a lot better for sniffing then the fragrance district.[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm aware. I'm just seeing if I can spot anything for cheap that I'm familiar with, like Yatagan.

When you say your not really a fan of the old Yatagan, what are you referring to? What is your friend referring to when he says he likes it?