Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Talking Re: What fragrances I MUST HAVE to balance my wardrobe?

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    I haven't actually tried many masculine frags.
    But I have been pleased with most frags I've tried from YSL, Guerlain, and Hermes.
    So you might like to try some things from those houses.

Bulgari: Red Tea (Eau the Rouge) or Bulgari Black

Hermes: Un Jardin En Mediteranee is nice if you don't mind the fruitiness. And I too own CDOV. I love the smooth atmosphere and staying power of those scents.

Good luck! (I too often wonder what my wardrobe is "missing.")
    misscasey, I also like YSL, Guerlain, and Hermes. Right now I'm wearing Terre d'Hermès (chest and wrist only - trust me, on the neck it becomes a sillage monster) and it works wonderfully in a cooler weather.
    Even though I have 3 Bulgari frags, sometimes this house kind of irritates me for its lack of longevity and sillage. But that's exactly how they want it to function. From the reviews I've seen, my only fear about Bulgari Black is its wearability, but I'm sure I would love it. I think it is worth a try! Thanks!
    P.S. Only now I realize what CDOV stands for. I thought it was Christian Dior something! But of course it is Concentrée D'Orange Verte! Wonderful scent!

Default Re: What fragrances I MUST HAVE to balance my wardrobe?

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    I love my YSL Opium EDP. It is a shame the EDP version is not available in your area. Another strong suggestion for an amber based scent would be Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan. Try to score it on discount if you can. And of course sample before you commit to a bottle.

Nice wardrobe by the way.

TJ
    Thanks, TigerJuice! Most of my wardrobe was blind buyed based on BN reviews, and I don't regret any of the purchases...well, maybe 2 or 3....ok, 4 or 5...
    There is no such thing as EDP Pour Homme here, they don't want any man smelling stronger! And about Serge Lutens, it is impossible to find it in my world ... But i know i'll have to try Opium EDT. Thank you, anyway!!!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    The only thing Body Kouros and Kouros share is a name. They are entirely completely different fragrances, and have no similarities whatsoever.
    So I'll definitely try Body Kouros!!! So curious about it!

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    What about adding an incense note cologne....or maybe an oud note cologne!
    Nice collection almost look like mine...haha
    chipper, I do have (we have??? ) Bulgari Soir and Bulgari Extreme, and they are incense enough for me. As for the oud cologne, I don't know any frag available here that has this note. Can you tell me any? (no niche please). BTW, I have to confess I don't even know what oud is... (stupid, stupid...)
    Last edited by GodISmellGood; 20th July 2009 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I think it's great that you're opened minded...many of us stuck with men's scents for so long that we ended up in a rut...then when we explored the world of women's scents (well, marketed to women anyway), it opened up so many new doors.

Shalimar was more of a random suggestion, but still a good one. It's not too sweet, and the vanilla isn't too obvious. It's not miles away from Habit Rouge. But if that's not your thing, other suggestions:

-Kenzo Flower (which is very similar to Caron's Royal Bain the Champagne...which was considered unisex anyway).
    -Clarins' Par Amour is one of my fav's...a woody rose.
    -Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere - citrusy rendition of No. 5.
    -Missoni - chocolate floral.

Those should all be available in department/discount stores for not too much money.
    Great suggestions, sofresh! I think only Clarins and Missoni are not available here.

Thumbs up Re: What fragrances I MUST HAVE to balance my wardrobe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Jaipur Homme, Givenchy Vetiver, ADP Colonia and Colonia Assoluta, Esencia or Solo by Loewe, Versace L'Homme
    That's a wardrobe in itself!!! Having all these, need no more! Thanks! All available here (online), except Versace L'Homme, don't know why because Versace is quite popular.

Quote Originally Posted by rinosaur View Post
    For amber, most of the ones I've tried are niche. Do you happen to have a Zara store nearby? They have a Ambar that is very cost effective and which gets some praise. I'm just mad that mine doesn't stock it and can't order it either since I'm searching right now for an amber myself. I've also tried Kiehl's Amber essential oil if you have a Kiehl's where you live (there is one in Sao Paolo that might ship to you), I found it raw and decently powerful and I like it more than the subtle MPG and L'Artisan Ambre.

For the Musk you could try Kiehl's Musk which I tried out a few days ago and like alot - It's very cost effective as well. I haven't tried the raved about SL Musc Kublai Khan but people say it smells similar to that just a bit tamer (which MKK is supposedly a beast to begin with). The 50mL musk is $35 in stores. I've tested the musk close to where I dabbed the amber, and after about 1 hour, I noticed the combined smell of them both and it was so nice lol, I guess the musk can be a base for some other fragrances you have if you prefer.
    Yes, there is a Zara store nearby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    For more unbiased reviews, read the ones here on Basenotes or over at Fragrantica (www.fragrantica.com). I've found that many of the retail sites post only the reviews that will help the product sell.
    I thought fragrantica was a forbidden word here...

Quote Originally Posted by GodISmellGood View Post
    chipper, I do have (we have??? ) Bulgari Soir and Bulgari Extreme, and they are incense enough for me.
    What was I thinking???? Don't know why I've been taken tea for incense... (stupid, stupid again...) Let me rephrase though: I think I don't have any incense frag...