Code of Conduct

Exclamation What fragrances I MUST HAVE to balance my wardrobe?

Hi, everyone!
    After so many time blind buying scents with no control at all, I think I need some guidance, in the way that maybe my wardrobe is unbalanced. I mean, I tend to have certain types of fragrances and I am probably missing others that are important in any serious collection. That said, my question is: when you look at my wardrobe, which fragrances do you think I MUST HAVE in order to balance it? What type is excessive in my wardrobe?
    Please, only designer scents like the ones I have, no niche or hard to find, please, because they don't are available here...

My current wardrobe (34 bottles):

212 Men Splash 2008 (2008), by Carolina Herrera
    Allure Homme Sport (2004), by Chanel
    Antaeus (1981), by Chanel
    Aramis (1965), by Aramis
    Armani Code / Black Code (2004), by Giorgio Armani
    Boucheron Eau Legere (2006), by Boucheron (not listed at BN)
    Boucheron pour Homme (1991), by Boucheron
    Bulgari Aqua pour Homme (2005), by Bulgari
    Bulgari pour Homme Extreme (1999), by Bulgari
    Bulgari pour Homme Soir (2006), by Bulgari
    Concentrée D'Orange Verte (2004), by Hermès
    Encre Noire (2006), by Lalique
    Fahrenheit (1988), by Christian Dior
    Gucci pour Homme (2003), by Gucci
    Herrera for Men (1991), by Carolina Herrera
    Individuel (2003), by Mont Blanc
    L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme (2004), by Issey Miyake
    L'Eau Bleu d'Issey Eau Fraiche (2006), by Issey Miyake (not listed at BN)
    L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Intense (2007), by Issey Miyake
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (2004), by Guerlain
    L'OCCITAN, by L'Occitane
    Lanvin for Men (1979), by Lanvin
    Lapidus pour Homme (1987), by Ted Lapidus
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him (2007), by Narciso Rodriguez
    Polo (1978), by Ralph Lauren
    Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003), by Yves Saint Laurent
    Silver Shadow Altitude (2007), by Davidoff
    Terre d'Hermès (2006), by Hermès
    The Dreamer (1996), by Versace
    Vetiver (1961), by Guerlain
    Vetyver (2001), by L'Occitane
    Vétiver de Puig (1978), by Antonio Puig
    YSL pour Homme (1971), by Yves Saint Laurent
    Z Zegna Extreme (2008), by Ermenegildo Zegna
    Last edited by GodISmellGood; 17th July 2009 at 09:17 PM.

Default Re: What fragrances I MUST HAVE to balance my wardrobe?

You need a woman's fragrance...get some Shalimar or something to break up the monotony.

Sur la Plage

How about a gourmand like A*Men or Rochas Man?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    You need a woman's fragrance...get some Shalimar or something to break up the monotony.
    Wow...didn't see that coming, sofresh. Great classic. Never tried or smelled it before (at least knowing that it was Shalimar), but seems like a very strong oriental. Is it too sweet? I like orientals like L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, if you know what I mean, not candystore. I think I'm not a vanilla guy, my wife wears Angel and I find it kind of nauseating. But definitely it is worth a try, but I don't want to smell like and old lady ! Any other woman's fragrance sugestion?
    Last edited by GodISmellGood; 18th July 2009 at 02:50 AM.

You could possibly get an amber or musk based scent

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    How about a gourmand like A*Men or Rochas Man?
    Great suggestions, petruccijc, although never tried neither of them. I'm afraid A*Men is kind of "love it or hate it" fragrance, and I'm not a vanilla guy, since I don't like Angel so much. Perhaps Rochas Manis my thing, seems more pleasant and less "vanillic". Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by rinosaur View Post
    OK, rinosaur! Any good suggestions that you also like? I think sillage and longevity is an issue, I'd rather have strong fragrances in those areas than weak ones...

GISG, I too have the same issue as you and am looking to balance mine out. A*Men makes me sick to my stomach. I wanted something a little smoother so I just picked up a bottle of Rochas Man yesterday (blind buy). Its very pleasant. 3 sprays went a long way and I didnt taste it like I do Angel.

Was going to suggest a gourmand. Glad you like Rochas man.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    GISG, I too have the same issue as you and am looking to balance mine out. A*Men makes me sick to my stomach. I wanted something a little smoother so I just picked up a bottle of Rochas Man yesterday (blind buy). Its very pleasant. 3 sprays went a long way and I didnt taste it like I do Angel.
    BINGO, TJMAC! Now I have to control myself not to order it online...deep breaths...have bought many lately...maybe a quick look...Thank you, TJMAC!
    Last edited by GodISmellGood; 18th July 2009 at 03:08 AM.

I was fortunate enough to find a 50ml bottle for $22.49 US at an outlet mall.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    I was fortunate enough to find a 50ml bottle for $22.49 US at an outlet mall.
    You know, I'm not in the US...Just for comparison: here Rochas Man is kind of hard to find, and at this site it is about R$ 228,65, which is something like $111,54 US !!!!!! Go figure my problem!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by GodISmellGood View Post
    OK, rinosaur! Any good suggestions that you also like? I think sillage and longevity is an issue, I'd rather have strong fragrances in those areas than weak ones...
    You could try YSL Opium pour Homme EDT or EDP.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Nice wardrobe, God I Smell Good.
    (Perhaps something woodsy with a lot of patchouli, sandalwood, or cedar, etc.?)
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Huuummm, sounds like an excellent suggestion, petruccijc. I do like YSL, used Kouros a lot in the 90's. But EDP unfortunately not available here (as all EDP PH). And what about Body Kouros?

Sur la Plage

And what about Body Kouros?
    Most definitely! I don't think you can go wrong with just about any YSL fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    Nice wardrobe, God I Smell Good.
    Thank you, misscasey, very kind of you.

(Perhaps something woodsy with a lot of patchouli, sandalwood, or cedar, etc.?)
    I have a feeling I like those three, but I really can't tell which is which. I do love L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, that is supposed to have patchouli and sandalwood. Do you know any other GOOD fragrances that have those notes and match a man? A woman's opinion is always important!

Most definitely! I don't think you can go wrong with just about any YSL fragrance.
    OK, but does it remind the original Kouros? Because although I like it very much, now when I feel it in the air I think "old". It happens when you use a fragrance a lot, and it was veeeeerryyy popular here in the 90's. Same with Fahrenheit, which I still love but can't stand to wear it anymore... It's a shame but it's true...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    Was going to suggest a gourmand. Glad you like Rochas man.
    Big doubt around here between these 3: Rochas Man, Opium PH EDT and Body Kouros...I read now at fragrancenet.com that "Rochas Man is very similar to Body Kouros and Joop" (Written by Zayin). My head is spinning...
    Last edited by GodISmellGood; 18th July 2009 at 05:08 AM.

Big doubt around here between these 3: Rochas Man, Opium PH EDT and Body Kouros...I read now at fragrancenet.com that "Rochas Man is very similar to Body Kouros and Joop" (Written by Zayin). My head is spinning...
    Pffft. The only thing similar is that they are strong and sweet. Don't read those FragranceNet reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Pffft. The only thing similar is that they are strong and sweet. Don't read those FragranceNet reviews.
    All right, Sir! I know it's a commercial site, but I often read FragranceNet to have an idea of what people think about a fragrance, mostly scent strength, life, recommended use, age and classification. And the reviews are an indication about what people in general will think about you wearing some fragrance, if you are worried about that.
    And what do you think about these 3? If you had to choose one, which one it would be???

I haven't actually tried many masculine frags.
    But I have been pleased with most frags I've tried from YSL, Guerlain, and Hermes.
    So you might like to try some things from those houses.

Bulgari: Red Tea (Eau the Rouge) or Bulgari Black

Hermes: Un Jardin En Mediteranee is nice if you don't mind the fruitiness. And I too own CDOV. I love the smooth atmosphere and staying power of those scents.

Good luck! (I too often wonder what my wardrobe is "missing.")
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

I love my YSL Opium EDP. It is a shame the EDP version is not available in your area. Another strong suggestion for an amber based scent would be Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan. Try to score it on discount if you can. And of course sample before you commit to a bottle.

Nice wardrobe by the way.

TJ

Sur la Plage

OK, but does it remind the original Kouros? Because although I like it very much, now when I feel it in the air I think "old". It happens when you use a fragrance a lot, and it was veeeeerryyy popular here in the 90's. Same with Fahrenheit, which I still love but can't stand to wear it anymore... It's a shame but it's true...
    The only thing Body Kouros and Kouros share is a name. They are entirely completely different fragrances, and have no similarities whatsoever.

What about adding an incense note cologne....or maybe an oud note cologne!
    Nice collection almost look like mine...haha

Wow...didn't see that coming, sofresh. Great classic. Never tried or smelled it before (at least knowing that it was Shalimar), but seems like a very strong oriental. Is it too sweet? I like orientals like L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, if you know what I mean, not candystore. I think I'm not a vanilla guy, my wife wears Angel and I find it kind of nauseating. But definitely it is worth a try, but I don't want to smell like and old lady ! Any other woman's fragrance sugestion?
    I think it's great that you're opened minded...many of us stuck with men's scents for so long that we ended up in a rut...then when we explored the world of women's scents (well, marketed to women anyway), it opened up so many new doors.

Shalimar was more of a random suggestion, but still a good one. It's not too sweet, and the vanilla isn't too obvious. It's not miles away from Habit Rouge. But if that's not your thing, other suggestions:

-Kenzo Flower (which is very similar to Caron's Royal Bain the Champagne...which was considered unisex anyway).
    -Clarins' Par Amour is one of my fav's...a woody rose.
    -Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere - citrusy rendition of No. 5.
    -Missoni - chocolate floral.

Those should all be available in department/discount stores for not too much money.

Jaipur Homme, Givenchy Vetiver, ADP Colonia and Colonia Assoluta, Esencia or Solo by Loewe, Versace L'Homme

Body Kouros really isn't like Kouros at all. IMO, BK>Opium PH EdP>>>Opium PH EdT>>>>Rochas Man. All four have good longevity.

For amber, most of the ones I've tried are niche. Do you happen to have a Zara store nearby? They have a Ambar that is very cost effective and which gets some praise. I'm just mad that mine doesn't stock it and can't order it either since I'm searching right now for an amber myself. I've also tried Kiehl's Amber essential oil if you have a Kiehl's where you live (there is one in Sao Paolo that might ship to you), I found it raw and decently powerful and I like it more than the subtle MPG and L'Artisan Ambre.

For the Musk you could try Kiehl's Musk which I tried out a few days ago and like alot - It's very cost effective as well. I haven't tried the raved about SL Musc Kublai Khan but people say it smells similar to that just a bit tamer (which MKK is supposedly a beast to begin with). The 50mL musk is $35 in stores. I've tested the musk close to where I dabbed the amber, and after about 1 hour, I noticed the combined smell of them both and it was so nice lol, I guess the musk can be a base for some other fragrances you have if you prefer.
    Last edited by rinosaur; 18th July 2009 at 09:26 PM.

Blog Entries

All right, Sir! I know it's a commercial site, but I often read FragranceNet to have an idea of what people think about a fragrance, mostly scent strength, life, recommended use, age and classification. And the reviews are an indication about what people in general will think about you wearing some fragrance, if you are worried about that.
    And what do you think about these 3? If you had to choose one, which one it would be???
    For more unbiased reviews, read the ones here on Basenotes or over at Fragrantica (www.fragrantica.com). I've found that many of the retail sites post only the reviews that will help the product sell.

Talking Re: What fragrances I MUST HAVE to balance my wardrobe?

I haven't actually tried many masculine frags.
    But I have been pleased with most frags I've tried from YSL, Guerlain, and Hermes.
    So you might like to try some things from those houses.

Bulgari: Red Tea (Eau the Rouge) or Bulgari Black

Hermes: Un Jardin En Mediteranee is nice if you don't mind the fruitiness. And I too own CDOV. I love the smooth atmosphere and staying power of those scents.

Good luck! (I too often wonder what my wardrobe is "missing.")
    misscasey, I also like YSL, Guerlain, and Hermes. Right now I'm wearing Terre d'Hermès (chest and wrist only - trust me, on the neck it becomes a sillage monster) and it works wonderfully in a cooler weather.
    Even though I have 3 Bulgari frags, sometimes this house kind of irritates me for its lack of longevity and sillage. But that's exactly how they want it to function. From the reviews I've seen, my only fear about Bulgari Black is its wearability, but I'm sure I would love it. I think it is worth a try! Thanks!
    P.S. Only now I realize what CDOV stands for. I thought it was Christian Dior something! But of course it is Concentrée D'Orange Verte! Wonderful scent!

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    I love my YSL Opium EDP. It is a shame the EDP version is not available in your area. Another strong suggestion for an amber based scent would be Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan. Try to score it on discount if you can. And of course sample before you commit to a bottle.

Nice wardrobe by the way.

TJ
    Thanks, TigerJuice! Most of my wardrobe was blind buyed based on BN reviews, and I don't regret any of the purchases...well, maybe 2 or 3....ok, 4 or 5...
    There is no such thing as EDP Pour Homme here, they don't want any man smelling stronger! And about Serge Lutens, it is impossible to find it in my world ... But i know i'll have to try Opium EDT. Thank you, anyway!!!

The only thing Body Kouros and Kouros share is a name. They are entirely completely different fragrances, and have no similarities whatsoever.
    So I'll definitely try Body Kouros!!! So curious about it!

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    What about adding an incense note cologne....or maybe an oud note cologne!
    Nice collection almost look like mine...haha
    chipper, I do have (we have??? ) Bulgari Soir and Bulgari Extreme, and they are incense enough for me. As for the oud cologne, I don't know any frag available here that has this note. Can you tell me any? (no niche please). BTW, I have to confess I don't even know what oud is... (stupid, stupid...)
    Last edited by GodISmellGood; 20th July 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I think it's great that you're opened minded...many of us stuck with men's scents for so long that we ended up in a rut...then when we explored the world of women's scents (well, marketed to women anyway), it opened up so many new doors.

Shalimar was more of a random suggestion, but still a good one. It's not too sweet, and the vanilla isn't too obvious. It's not miles away from Habit Rouge. But if that's not your thing, other suggestions:

-Kenzo Flower (which is very similar to Caron's Royal Bain the Champagne...which was considered unisex anyway).
    -Clarins' Par Amour is one of my fav's...a woody rose.
    -Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere - citrusy rendition of No. 5.
    -Missoni - chocolate floral.

Those should all be available in department/discount stores for not too much money.
    Great suggestions, sofresh! I think only Clarins and Missoni are not available here.

Thumbs up Re: What fragrances I MUST HAVE to balance my wardrobe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Jaipur Homme, Givenchy Vetiver, ADP Colonia and Colonia Assoluta, Esencia or Solo by Loewe, Versace L'Homme
    That's a wardrobe in itself!!! Having all these, need no more! Thanks! All available here (online), except Versace L'Homme, don't know why because Versace is quite popular.

For amber, most of the ones I've tried are niche. Do you happen to have a Zara store nearby? They have a Ambar that is very cost effective and which gets some praise. I'm just mad that mine doesn't stock it and can't order it either since I'm searching right now for an amber myself. I've also tried Kiehl's Amber essential oil if you have a Kiehl's where you live (there is one in Sao Paolo that might ship to you), I found it raw and decently powerful and I like it more than the subtle MPG and L'Artisan Ambre.

For the Musk you could try Kiehl's Musk which I tried out a few days ago and like alot - It's very cost effective as well. I haven't tried the raved about SL Musc Kublai Khan but people say it smells similar to that just a bit tamer (which MKK is supposedly a beast to begin with). The 50mL musk is $35 in stores. I've tested the musk close to where I dabbed the amber, and after about 1 hour, I noticed the combined smell of them both and it was so nice lol, I guess the musk can be a base for some other fragrances you have if you prefer.
    Yes, there is a Zara store nearby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    For more unbiased reviews, read the ones here on Basenotes or over at Fragrantica (www.fragrantica.com). I've found that many of the retail sites post only the reviews that will help the product sell.
    I thought fragrantica was a forbidden word here...

chipper, I do have (we have??? ) Bulgari Soir and Bulgari Extreme, and they are incense enough for me.
    What was I thinking???? Don't know why I've been taken tea for incense... (stupid, stupid again...) Let me rephrase though: I think I don't have any incense frag...