Code of Conduct

Default Which fragrance(s) seem to affect your mood the most?

Forgive me if this question has already been asked, or if it seems very broad.

But what I would like to ask is: is there a fragrance which noticeably affects your mood? How and why? Which frags help you to create for yourself a serious mood? playful? mellow? energetic?

For example: Shalimar Light makes me feel pretty in a sweet and delicate sort of way, while
    Samsara has a relaxing- almost intoxicating- effect.

I know its "just perfume," and it's not supposed to be a mind altering drug, but isn't the mental effect one of the main things which makes a fragrance so ...fun? Exciting? Dare I say addictive?

Please share your thoughts on this one.
    Thanks!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Default Re: Which fragrance(s) seem to affect your mood the most?

I can be quite positively affected by the new, assuming that the new speaks to me in terms of emotional transportation, aesthetics, or artistry. This may be either something I have never before encountered or something I have rediscovered. In other words, the addict's high. I have made many a purchase this way; the effect wears off as quickly as the first snort and then the scent is enjoyed as a reliable workhorse, unless I shelve it for a season. I am always interested in how quickly I become dulled to certain of the sensations, through a near-instant anosmia to the full spectrum of a scent. I can recall being enlivened, some years ago, by the civet in vintage Jicky--it was like a melted physical butter. Only later did the fougere qualities become apparent.

There are also negative experiences, too numerous to mention. These nearly always include the instant recoil. I have a lot of trouble, for instance, with tar/leather/smoke notes. There is a whole category of leather fragrances that have made me feel crabby, but if the smell is remotely automotive it makes me queasy.

You want specific fragrances:

Gris Clair/Encens et Lavande cause an organic grounding to my environment. I am often at odds with my physical surroundings and the lavender/herbal tones are reassuring. These two are unrivaled as The Great Equalizers.

Tabac Blond: Fuss about ruinous reformulation aside, this scent is still so unflinchingly contra-modern that it instantly makes me feel wily with creativity. This is important in my line of work, where I have to research, analyze, and pitch--and I only get one chance. Why smell of something your competition may have picked up at Sephora? (I am convinced at this point that many people feel this way about oud.)

Must de Cartier, vintage: A time-and-place scent. My time, not my place. Spills over with suggestion that there might be something beyond the concrete bunkers of suburban offices; the ultimate in aspirational parfum. It is the biggest fraud in personal history. Instantaneously delivers you, with no return ticket, to your roots. You can go home again and wear Enjoli.
    Last edited by Orion; 18th July 2009 at 06:37 AM.

Several scents are mood-enhancers for me.
    Nirmala always makes me smile; Ivoire lifts me up a
    notch on the sophisticate barometer; Eau de Rochas
    takes me to a sunnier, carefree place by the sea;
    Lullaby raises my self-worth and Cristobal helps to
    ground me. Eau Sauvage is my aphrodisiac!!

On the other side of the coin, Apres l'Ondee makes me sad
    and nostalgic and weepy!
    Iris Poudre comforts me.

Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve positively puts me in "the mood"

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I second L'Ombre Fauve, also Black and Felanilla - any combo of vanilla-amber-patch-musk always reels me in / makes me weak at the knees!

In different vein, Ajne's Calypso - a sultry tropical floral with ylang, frangipani and vanilla - is having the same effect, and it is not even lunchtime!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 18th July 2009 at 11:11 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I react emotionally to all my scents. I fall in love with a perfume only if I have such an emotional reaction to it. Conversely, I can recognize the artistry in other scents, but they leave me cold (Eau d'Hiver, e.g.), so I don't feel I can make them mine.
    Only a few examples:
    Songes--makes me feel wistful and melancholy. I do not wear it if I must rush off to work or a meeting. Songes and I need time alone before we begin our day.
    Ambre Russe--I feel strong, even powerful, and alluring
    Jicky--makes me smile, always.
    LOmbre Fauve--yes, yes, yes. (Unfortunately, my husband dislikes scents and doesn't agree.)

I could go down the list forever! Fragrance is such a consuming delight!

I'm with Therese--almost all the ones I wear affect my mood. Sometimes, picking a scent can make the mood better or worse, in fact. When I am blue, I can't really wear iris, for example, and a bright citrus might be good for some balance.

I have three on Therese's list, too, lol. Jicky and Ambre Russe are definitely go-to scents for giving me some grounding and a feeling of power. Patchouli and sandalwood scents bolster a solitary mood. No.19 is great for clear-headedness and calm during the day.
    Last edited by Asha; 18th July 2009 at 02:55 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Jicky calms me down, Eau De Soir makes me feel special and Shalimar makes me feel glamorous and a bit dangerous.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Great answers guys, thanks for sharing!

I will agree in that all frags I wear seem to have some effect on my mental state/mood/or whatever you want to call it. Some more than others. Some positive, some neutral. I think I would only get in a bad mood if I really despised the scent-like if it made me nauseous or uncomfortable. I haven't tried anything-at least not that I've worn-which has reacted that badly. I've thought, "hmm, I gotta wash that off" but I don't get PO'd about it or anything.

I'm trying Mitsouko EDT today for the first time ... I was taken aback by the sharpness at the top but can tell I will like it at least occasionally. I will probably start to "get" it soon, as I have with other frags with so-so first impressions. Despite what one reviewer said, it seems to transform a lot toward the dry down. Out of the bottle it's whoah. Later on the skin, it's oHhh. I don't know about the mood yet. It seems to be wistful but not in a depressing way. Peaceful maybe, like a gorgeous day at your grandmother's house when you were a kid but no day in particular really. And not like Grandma herself, but the wonderful aura of Grandma and her lovingkindness and natural beauty. And nature too though I smell nothing I know of in nature. Not Grandma's perfume either because she wore musky scents.

Okay, I am rambling now.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

I concur fully: fragrance is mood-altering. Even if short term.
    Not 30 minutes ago, I went to my fragrance altar (forgive me) and began figuring out what to put on next after the morning's pair (the wrists) had done their disappearing act. I looked around for a moment or two and then spied the soft citrus tier, with Annick Goutal and Acqua di Parma. I inhaled of one, and then the next, and then, Ohhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's right. That's exactly want I said. Fully involuntary. Leaning forward, I was swept back into my chair. The smile went from ear to ear. The delight factor a 10. The fact that it was Colonia is less important than this: when these limbic-driven combinations of molecules work, it's magic.

I cannot sniff PotL without thinking it's Autumn. And as I continue my ongoing relationship with Mitsouko I find that it makes me feel...serious. I mean, I feel as if I should come across as, and be treated, seriously. Mitsouko is one I cant pair with my sweats for a trip to the corner store and not feel ever so slightly ridiculous in.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Fragrances with orange or pear seem to be uplifting: Yosh U4EAHH, Sage Machado Carnelian, Jalaine Citrus Dream

And these are very calming/comforting to me: Bogner Wood, Annam, CSP Matin Calin, Aura Sciences Heart Awakened, Caron Farnesiana

I actually like an eau fraiche, like good old 4711. Clean, fresh and reminds me of my childhood.

OTOH, my husband adores jasmine essential oil--drives him nuts. And our veterinarian suggested using peppermint or lavender in a diffuser to calm down hyper dogs...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I agree about Mitsouko and sweats. I'm trying to figure just what I would wear with Mitsouko. I'm usually all jeans and t shirts, even at work. I'm finally starting to get some florals in the drydown. That's good. But I think I'll have a bath and get this crazy stuff off me for now and wear a different scent tomorrow. That was uh -yeah you're right-serious stuff. I was probably oversniffing. Next time will put a bit on and leave it alone and see what happens.

I will tell my dear mother about the lavender and peppermint for her dog who is very high strung. And some other humans I know could use a de-hypering once in awhile.

I will also say that some of my responses to scents appear to be somewhat involuntary. Like *GASP* OMG That smells sooooo good! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Wow. *GASP* Wow. AAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :bounce:

Wow.

Most of my perfumes affect my mood in some way but particularly -

Anything with a lot of Jasmine (such as Mac Naked Honey) make me very nostalgic because they remind me of my late grand mother and her house which had jasmine all up the front porch and into the yard.

Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin really makes me feel energised and yet relaxed at the same time, it's that ultimate 'weekend' feeling

L'Occitane Honey & Lemon makes me feel very comforted and happy

Basenotes Institution

Vintage Gardenia makes me feel innocent which I am usually not !
    Fracas makes me feel all womanly and voluptuous , Vol De Nuit makes me feel like I should be swanning around Harrods in clickety high heels and a cashmere shawl .
    Apres L'Ondee just makes me go silent with its beauty.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 20th July 2009 at 02:21 AM.

Patchouli, without a doubt. It makes me profoundly sad. I'm not a fan of the note to start off with, but some incarnations I would have really enjoyed if it hadn't been for that emotional effect (looking at you, Coromandel).

I get cat-like properties (curling up and purring) from anything heavy on the amber.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

If they don't affect my mood in some way, then I probably can't smell them. I usually go for scents that are uplifting and cheery as daytime running around fragrances. Pucci Vivara makes me feel like a bird let out of a cage, like a kid set free for summer vacation - just ecstatic. Estee Lauder Pure White Linen has a crispness that is energizing. Mitsouko makes me feel very melancholy in a 19th century way, yet detached as if I'm just a watcher (clairvoyant effect, it has). Clothing wise, it goes with old ratty cashmere sweaters layered over each other and stuck together with old granny brooches. Gourmand fragrances make me feel cozy, comforted and cosseted. Pure citrussy (yes, 4711!), Yardley's lavender, and herbal/floral fragrances like Herba Fresca are calming to me (the mint is stimulating, though, too), and therefore good before sleep, also astringent galbanum fragrances. They go well with cool cotton, the countryside, and an evening breeze coming through the window. Classic parfum extraits are more city scents for me, e.g. NYC, London, Paris, a place where you can walk and discover civilization, look at great art and antiquities, colliding of world cultures in sophisticated environments. The close to your skin extrait is like a coccoon against sensory overload yet is delicious like a secret.

No 19 and Cristalle: brisk and efficient
    No 5: 'golden'
    Fracas: voluptuous
    Bigarade Concentree: mild raunch
    Paco Rabanne's La Nuit: mega raunch
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Good answers again.

Well, I seem to be immune to feeling sad and melancholy just from sniffing a fragrance. I'm glad about that! But here are some examples of a few that make me feel a certain way:

CdG Kyoto and TDC Sel de Vetiver - Focused, calm, and alert
    Etro Shaal Nur and L'Artisan Jatamansi - Balanced and healthy
    Malle Une Rose and Neil Morris Dark Earth - Sensual
    L'Artisan Timbuktu and Dzongkha - Happy! Not sure why, but that's their effect on me.

Haunani, I don't think any frags depress me either.
    I've also been fortunate enough not to get physically ill from any.
    If I did, then that would put me in a bad mood.

Concentree D'Orange Verte by Hermes makes me feel wholesome, hip, and a little bit hippie.
    Un Jardin En Mediteranee about the same. (though the scents are quite different)
    Just thought I'd throw that in there. I did start this thread after all
    Oh yeah, and I've decided that Samsara makes me feel like a sex goddess.
    The kind of sex goddess who likes to wear sex goddess scents all the time.

*bashfully wanders off, leaving thread to someone else*

PawelL

Every single thing in my tiny collection evokes images, and brings back memories, and so my fragrances affect my mood immensely.
    Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Bevery Hills, for example, is meeting a gorgeous girlfriend in the sun ages ago (radiant); Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme is a black church of granite (melancholy); Grey Flannel is the perfection of violets in springtime (tender); Bijan Men is dark incense in a mossy doorway (calm); Polo is an enthusiastic American lover (satisfied); Halston Catalyst is discovering Berlin (ecstatic and deep) . . . Now that's just become boring, sorry.
    Last edited by PawelL; 25th June 2010 at 07:18 PM.

Mitsouko always makes me feel unabashedly happy. I love that burnt orange thing.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

I would say that everything in my collection puts me in a good mood.....I really Love certain scents that I've purchased while on vacation.....These always cause me to remember that vacation and those are Great memories!!!
    Please do not apologize for this thread Miss Casey.....I'm so glad that You asked the question even if it has or has not already been asked.....Gary

I like smelling my favorite perfume when i am feeling down...makes me feel good
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Basenotes Institution

Most Guerlains affect my mood I think . I just go all 'aaaaahhhh' when I wear my Guerlains.

I go crazy when I wear A*MEN. In my head that's the perfect anchor to partying drinking dancing.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Hillaire

Well, lately I have become enamored of the Amouage Attars, which I believe have magical properties and enhance my dreams and improve my nerveous system/brain health. (Try them!)

And it's caused me to take a real interest in some other fragrances (especially rose-centered ones) that also feel very 'therapeutic', harmonious and natural to me.

Lyric Woman is another standout from the Amouage line.

The rose scent from SSS are particularly remarkable, my favorite being Rose Musc.

I feel these sorts of scents are uplifting to my heart and calming to my mind. They also make me feel as if I am nurtured by scent. It's wonderful.

Another scent I have been hunting for for some 100 years (okay ten) is a fragrance that was released by Dr. Hauschka around the turn of the century. It bore some simple moniker to the effect of 'Scent' or 'Life'... And it came in a dark hot pink, opaque can atomizer. It smelled entirely natural, like steamed, wilted roses, salubrious herbs and heady woods. It was haunting. And because I recall it cost 110 USD, I did not buy any, for which I kick myself daily!
    Moreover, it disappeared from earth and I have not seen a sign or mention of it since!

Anyone??? Anyone recall this Dr. Hauschka scent????
    Last edited by Hillaire; 26th June 2010 at 07:28 PM.

Un profumo affettuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post

Anyone??? Anyone recall this Dr. Haushka scent????

YEAH!!! I do recall it! It was a very natural, quality rose - indeed - it as wonderful. They don't do any fragrances at all nowadays, because the Rose Scent did not sell well 10 years ago. I'm going to ask a friend of mine who is a passionate "user" of Dr Hauschka's though, she might have the odd bottle somewhere stored away in her cupboard.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Un profumo affettuoso View Post
    YEAH!!! I do recall it! It was a very natural, quality rose - indeed - it as wonderful. They don't do any fragrances at all nowadays, because the Rose Scent did not sell well 10 years ago. I'm going to ask a friend of mine who is a passionate "user" of Dr Hauschka's though, she might have the odd bottle somewhere stored away in her cupboard.
    WOW, Signora Affettuoso!
    Tell your friend I will send her nice things!

I wonder if I could call Dr. Hauschka central, if there be any bottles of old stock anywhere. I could finagle.
    Maybe the good Frau Doktor Hauschka has some at home. Anyone know where she lives? (not serious)

I am glad you recall it. I remember, too the sales person mentioning that it used only natural attars, and no doubt with the surge in rose and santal, it's not even a make-able thing these days. SAD!
    Last edited by Hillaire; 26th June 2010 at 07:26 PM.

Blog Entries

There are quite a few scents that I hold in high esteem and I think each has a special afftect. In the way of example L'heure bleue is what I wear when I am in a somber, reflective, or blue mood. Cologne du 68 I wear for cool days of spring when a light fragrance reminds me of walking in the flower garden. Vent Vert when worn reminds me of calming long grass moving at the whim of the wind with a smooth, slightly sweet aroma. Habit Rouge Beau Cavlier calls to me when I sit in the evening reading a good book. Coromandel I wear when I want to feel classy and dress for after 5. Of course there are many more that I enjoy but, brevity beckons me to arrive at the fragrance that makes me feel alive and which identifies with me, and I with it; of course, as you might guess there are no combinations of words that can explain my love of the lady of mystery, Mitsouko. It and I are; therefore, we are one.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 26th June 2010 at 08:35 PM.

Spritzing on Prada transforms me into a bitch on wheels! It's become my PMS fave!

Fumerie Turque makes me feel festive as it was my 1st Serge and I got it for Christmas (rolled in it like a kitten in catnip)
    Iris Ganache makes me feel melencholy as it was my late Mother's last gift to me, subsequently I wore it to her funeral, this mood may change as I am still deeply grieving.
    Chypre Fruite is a zinger which usually gives me a jolt like that 1st sip of coffee on a workday.
    My "I can seduce any person with a pulse" scents are MKK, Black Aoud, Red Aoud & Stella Rose Absolute layered over skanky musk oil.
    Last edited by suzi2qs; 27th June 2010 at 04:56 AM.
    What other people think of you is none of your business, listen to mother, mind your own business

well...

chanel5 edp=sex mood
    poeme=melancholic mood- same about sacrebleu
    fracas=perfect dress, perfect shoes, perfect makeup- usually when going out
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Blog Entries

I would start by saying what's been said by many: I do not tend to keep or wear a perfume that doesn't have this ability to change my mood in some more or less predictable way.
    I've been trying to devise some sort of "rubric" for putting stars on my samples and bottles of perfume for the wardrobe. When something ranks at 4, this means I am starting to get some of this connection with my mood. When I start getting a connection between the perfume and my mood, that's where usually 3 stars change into 4 stars... or even 5 stars!

Examples?
    Pure White Linen grounds me. I wear it when I know that I have a long day at the University and will be seeing a bunch of people. Every time I catch a whiff of my perfume in the air, I feel instantly reassured, grounded, and collected.
    Miracle by Lancome... I call it "my pink gingerade." One time I experienced it as a pink halo over my head. It's has a carefree, no-control-necessary, hang-out-with friends quality for me, but it works for work as well, just makes me more smily and chatty (rather than more serious and concentrated as PWL).
    Fleurs de Rocaille is likely to be my next purchase. The initial burst of aldehydes and flowers always makes me stop in my tracks, throw my arms to the sides and take a deep breath with a smile -- rather, a grin! -- on my face. I love it. It makes me feel... well, me. Serious and sensual at the same time. Happy and reflective. I think I am in love so please stop listening to my ramble :-)

I won't be able to say better than Morgaine did; me too get purry and cuddly from some amber accords. In fact, I spray BBW Sensual Amber (heavy on fruit and vanilla) on my winter shawl that I keep for wrapping in when I'm at home.

If I need a jolt of energy, as BayKAT put it before, an offlactory espresso, I go for Ma Griffe, but only for the earlier version. 2000s reformulation doesn't do it for me.

DeepSilence

Generaly Citrus fragrances affect my mood very much. Hope to future and freshness (D&G PH , Creed SMW , Aqua Di Gio)
    Rochas Man increases calm and confidence on me. With D&G PH i have this feeling too.
    By YvesSaintLaurent fragrances i think i'm unique and different! (Opium , Kouros)
    By Chypre and Woody scents i'll become serious and rough.
    By Aramis Devin i'm thinking i'm full of experiece and i should advise people !!!