Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Default Re: My collection so far...Portrait of a Lady

They just keep on coming. I guess you've invested a fortune in collecting by now. Still they are great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    They just keep on coming. I guess you've invested a fortune in collecting by now. Still they are great.
    The red Czech one went on sale at half price so I snapped it up. The other Czech one (Vaseline) was so reasonable I couldn't resist. I still can't believe it's real deco. But, yes, I'm a bit of a binge shopper! Bad. Must stop. Running out of room. Must work on book now.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    The red Czech one went on sale at half price so I snapped it up. The other Czech one (Vaseline) was so reasonable I couldn't resist. I still can't believe it's real deco. But, yes, I'm a bit of a binge shopper! Bad. Must stop. Running out of room. Must work on book now.
    Hahaha! If it's in your blood...

Blog Entries

This one is a fake. A copy of a Hoffman I believe. It was supposed to be a "vintage Czech" bottle. But they removed the label which would have said "Czech Republic". You can see the figures are clumsy and indistinctly carved.
    Last edited by kumquat; 21st July 2014 at 01:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Last edited by kumquat; 4th July 2014 at 03:58 PM.

Blog Entries

The glass is too thick, too. This didn't show up in the seller's pictures. I'm trying to work out a solution. Maybe a partial refund. It wasn't very expensive but the listing was misleading and incorrect. Edit- I'm returning this one.
    Last edited by kumquat; 4th July 2014 at 07:12 PM.

The glass is too thick, too. This didn't show up in the seller's pictures. I'm trying to work out a solution. Maybe a partial refund. It wasn't very expensive but the listing was misleading and incorrect. Edit- I'm returning this one.
    It's hideous too.

Blog Entries

It's hideous too.
    Sometimes you get fooled by bad photos. I almost bought a fake before but cancelled it at the last minute. I'm happy I can get my money back. I should have known because of the lack of label or markings. If this had been beautifully rendered as it should have been, it might not be as dorky looking as it is.

Sometimes you get fooled by bad photos. I almost bought a fake before but cancelled it at the last minute. I'm happy I can get my money back. I should have known because of the lack of label or markings. If this had been beautifully rendered as it should have been, it might not be as dorky looking as it is.
    I guess you can only get a hand on the beautiful ones if you take a risk? Ebay isn't my place to be for this reason.

Blog Entries

Without a doubt- shopping from your computer is always a risk.

Blog Entries

A sealed bottle of "Nuit de Longchamp" by Lubin maybe 1960's- 70's

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Deeply etched. I regret it will be stored in the dark, however.

Blog Entries

Neiman Marcus tag. Luckily I own this vintage juice already in EDT so I probably won't open this although it is yummy!
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th July 2014 at 05:21 PM.

Neiman Marcus tag. Luckily I own this vintage juice already in EDT so I probably won't open this although it is yummy!
    It would be interesting to know if the scent is still ok?

Blog Entries

It would be interesting to know if the scent is still ok?
    I very well may. I don't think I can stand the suspense.

I very well may. I don't think I can stand the suspense.
    Just do the inevitable!

Blog Entries

This is from the same estate. Lubin- Nuit de Longchamp, 4oz. ​I tried to open this but it's frozen. I put it in the refrigerator. I also squirted lube on the neck. Fingers crossed!

Blog Entries

http://www.nstperfume.com/2005/10/03...grance-review/
    I opened the small bottle of this. First I had to put it in the refrigerator overnight, squirt lube on the neck and then let it sit upside down for a bit.

Calèche; bergamot, mandarin, orange blossom, aldehydes, jasmine, lily of the valley, rose, gardenia, iris, ylang-ylang, oakmoss, sandalwood, cedar, and vetiver.

I'm including this review of Caleche because the notes are similar- I'm guessing. No notes are listed in 'Perfume Intelligence'. This has a lot of moss in the base and it's not as soapy as Caleche. The only note that it probably doesn't have is gardenia. The others seem pretty close. There could also be clary sage. This Lubin is a bit greener and more mossy, as I say. Smoky, too. It has a leathery quality like vintage Cabochard.
    Last edited by kumquat; 18th July 2014 at 07:11 PM.

This is supposed to be a malachite bottle made by Ingrid (Czech). I would like to verify this but I don't know how to go about it.

http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/ will help you, and if you can't determine whether it is Ingrid, or Hoffman, or Schlevogt, you can always contact them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluemlein View Post
    http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/ will help you, and if you can't determine whether it is Ingrid, or Hoffman, or Schlevogt, you can always contact them.
    This looks interesting. Is it a paid subscription only? It seems to be only in German.

Blog Entries

This one is a fake. A copy of a Hoffman I believe. It was supposed to be a "vintage Czech" bottle. But they removed the label which would have said "Czech Republic". You can see the figures are clumsy and indistinctly carved.
    I was able to return this with no problem. Thanks to the honest EBay seller. I appreciate it.

Blog Entries

This is crystal 'cut to clear' Bohemian style Czech. Small, only about 3" long.

Blog Entries

I keep thinking I am done collecting but something great comes along. This 'Caron' even had some remnants of the glorious perfume. It smelled very much like 'Nocturnes'. About 4" high. Iridescent.

http://www.nstperfume.com/2005/10/03...grance-review/
    I opened the small bottle of this. First I had to put it in the refrigerator overnight, squirt lube on the neck and then let it sit upside down for a bit.

Calèche; bergamot, mandarin, orange blossom, aldehydes, jasmine, lily of the valley, rose, gardenia, iris, ylang-ylang, oakmoss, sandalwood, cedar, and vetiver.

I'm including this review of Caleche because the notes are similar- I'm guessing. No notes are listed in 'Perfume Intelligence'. This has a lot of moss in the base and it's not as soapy as Caleche. The only note that it probably doesn't have is gardenia. The others seem pretty close. There could also be clary sage. This Lubin is a bit greener and more mossy, as I say. Smoky, too. It has a leathery quality like vintage Cabochard.
    Thank you for sharing and I love how your collection has grown! You have a good eye for shapes and colors also.

I have a theory about the use of Gardenia on olden scents, the thing is, it's very expensive to use it (was and is and will be) and usually the amounts used are small and in general, I would say that the note will give any scent a certain cachet or prestige if you will, even if it's almost non-existent but it would become a sort of upgrade for a name and for it to be included on the ingredients list. I have found that usually older scents that happen to have Gardenia in them, the note just fades tremendously ,more so than other notes -unless used in major quantities - .
    Just a random thought (sorry for the OT) and I would certainly want to know what you think of it.

cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Thank you for sharing and I love how your collection has grown! You have a good eye for shapes and colors also.

I have a theory about the use of Gardenia on olden scents, the thing is, it's very expensive to use it (was and is and will be) and usually the amounts used are small and in general, I would say that the note will give any scent a certain cachet or prestige if you will, even if it's almost non-existent but it would become a sort of upgrade for a name and for it to be included on the ingredients list. I have found that usually older scents that happen to have Gardenia in them, the note just fades tremendously ,more so than other notes -unless used in major quantities - .
    Just a random thought (sorry for the OT) and I would certainly want to know what you think of it.

cheers

Hi, Castorpollux! Thanks for writing! Long time, no see. Yes, there could be notes here that have faded. This juice is at least 40 years old. Since it's cologne it is pretty weak. I don't know why these notes are not listed. This was a popular scent in its day. Anyway, I'm sticking with my assessment that it's similar to Caléche. It also reminds me of Acqua di Parma Profumo, just weak due to the concentration.