Code of Conduct

Default Vero Profumo - worth smelling? Worth the prices?

After reading a few reviews, my interest has been piqued by the little-talked-about Vero Profumo line. It seems that there is a division about wearability, but an almost a unanimous chorus of "interesting" and "complex" in the reviews I've read, which of course recommends the line to someone like me. However, the prices are truly prohibitive, even for parfum extrait concentration.

Rubj sounds right up my alley; Onda sounds very interesting; Kiki doesn't sound like it's my style - but what do my fellow Basenoters think? Do you like them? Do you own one or more of them? Are they worth the dosh?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vero Profumo - worth smelling? Worth the prices?

I would love to have Rubj, it's a nice chypre with a little red fruit. I just think I'll have to learn to live without it at that price, though. It does seem like there must be some other scents that are comparable. I'm thinking it over. Fruity chypres, hmmmm.....

Basenotes Institution

Galamb I think you would like Onda. I loved it and if I could afford it, I'd easily own a bottle.

These are among the most beautiful fragrances I've ever smelled. They're worth every penny.

I love Onda and Kiki. Rubj is excellent too, but not for me (I think it works better on a woman than a man).

I've always wanted to try these, but they're spendy enough that even if they're worth the money I couldn't afford them. Vero Kern is Andy Tauer's mentor, fwiw.

Off-Scenter

Very strange fragrances (see my recent reviews of Onda and Kiki), and very much worth smelling. I found all three very hard to evaluate without repeated full-day wearings. Did I mention they were strange?

I have a small sample of Onda, and I think it is a fantastic fragrance. I agree with Vibert that it has a "strange" quality. Overall, though, it is reminiscent of classic leather chypres with a dry, dusty and green vetiver base. If I could afford it, I'd have it. It is definitely worth a smell!

I think Kiki is the "fougere" of the line, with really strong lavender that comes out in the mid development (if I recall correctly). I was not as taken with Kiki.

Blog Entries

They are definitely must-tries and must-buys!

Onda was love at first sniff, I simply had to have a bottle of it. It's unbelievably gorgeous.

I like Kiki a lot, too. It reminds me of Belgian lavender chocolate!

I need to give Rubj another chance, it might be a scent I can admire but not wear, but will see.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I think I'm going to have to send away for samples of these!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Very strange fragrances (see my recent reviews of Onda and Kiki), and very much worth smelling. I found all three very hard to evaluate without repeated full-day wearings. Did I mention they were strange?
    It was your reviews that piqued my interest, Onda in particular. I'd never even heard of these before they popped up in the recent reviews section.

I got in my samples of Vero Profumo today... Even though my nose isn't that good in the evening, I couldn't resist trying Onda. My first impression: gorilla stables. My mom happens to work at the zoo so that's probably where the association is coming from. I mean it in a good way though! After about five minutes, the spices kick in and there's a big nutmeg and coriander kick, but it's not sharp. As these subsided I got to thinking: Onda smells much like someone threw 2/3s Mitsouko and 1/3 Vol de Nuit into a bottle and added extra vetiver. Mind you, these are vintage Mitsoukos and Vol de Nuits, the smell is very thick and full and I can also smell a very good dose of oakmoss... About an hour in, the vetiver and leather emerge which further enhance the jungly feel of Onda. The leather is, as far as I can smell, not accomplished through the use of birch tar but rather it's the general composition of the frag that smells leathery, if that makes any sense. This is love at first sniff and something I will most definitely buy at some point in the future!

I've never smelled Djedi btw, but if it's anything like Onda (which would make sense: Djedi is said to be the dark sister fragrance of Vol de Nuit) wel then... wow!
    Last edited by Merlino; 26th October 2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: grammar
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Every perfume by Vero Kern is worth to try, at least.
    I do love Onda (yes, Djedi is close, I could compare) and Kiki (Jicky is less close, but lavender and opopanax are here without rosemary).
    Rubj is too feminine and luxury to wear by myself.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I'm a fan of her work. I think considering the concentration that her prices aren't that out of line. I'd rather have one Onda than 4 $45 dollar colognes that are merely "okay"

Galamb, I am also fascinated my the VeroProfumo line, and so far, Onda is the only one from the line I've tried. I requested a sample of it from Luckyscent with an order.

It went through two phases on me: first, it smelled like very dry, hot cigar smoke was emanating from my arm. Not completely unpleasant…I actually enjoy a good cigar, but the one time or so per year I partake, I do so outside to avoid smelling all over like precisely what was emanating from my arm.
    Second phase, after about an hour: the smokiness leaves and what remains I do find very unpleasant… I can only describe it as a disturbingly sweet urine-like smell, together with a muddy, brackish floral smell. It smells very warm and stuffy; I am actually reminded of the smell of the subway in the summer when the tunnels are stiflingly hot. I’m not exaggerating here; I was in a particularly malodorous tunnel the other day and thought to myself, “that’s what was so familiar with the Onda drydown!” Another picture Onda paints for me is a dog has peed on a weed bush of pungent flowers, and the entire composition is warmed by the sun on a humid day. Try as I might I can’t find any redeeming qualities to this fragrance, it’s so completely strange and unappealing to me.

Some reviewers have written about it's strangeness, but then others really love it and liken it to a classic Guerlain: to Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit…Djedi. So I just have to chalk it up to individual chemistry and that it’s doing really funky and stinky things on my skin, or maybe I need to wear it more, give it a little more time… …only I’m kind of afraid to put it on again!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

i have sampled Kiki. it no dount is very "dynamic". it really "performs" on skin. It'd remind one of A*Men, a high quality A*men minus it's heavy patch with touch of florals and Lavender on top. i would classify it as Gourmand/Floral. definitely worth sampling. even a 1ml sample would go long way.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I got in my samples of Vero Profumo today... Even though my nose isn't that good in the evening, I couldn't resist trying Onda. My first impression: gorilla stables.
    LOL. Love the Turin/Sanchez 'two word' description you threw in there Merlino.
    Selling used bottles of vintage Heritage Eau de Parfum (Guerlain), Anima Dulcis (Arquiste), Noel au Balcon (ELDO), Santal de Mysore (Serge Lutens), Aedes de Vensutas (L'Artisan) and more, click HERE

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    He He He ! ... Ya should know, you can't get away with "soft-core" plagiary around here.

You just know someone here's gonna call you up on it & wrap you over the knuckles for it ! (LOL)

But on the frags "Galamb_B"... Onda is most definitely worth a sampling sniff at very least ! ... ~ An Animalic and Creative powerhouse ! ...
    (Though a bottle would probably last me a life time, as I can't see myself reaching for it very often. Would take a little getting used to first, that's for sure ! ... But, without a doubt, most expertly blended ! ... Just a little odd ! ).

I found Kiki much easier to wear (easiest out the 3 at least) ... But not quite as interesting ! ...

And Rubj is just a little far too "womanly" for me, I'm afraid ! ... (But makes for a good "trio" !)

All three are a definite excellent experience for the nostrils and the brain ! ... ( If not a "brain-meltdown" ) (LOL)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 29th October 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    haha, yeah I guess they rubbed off on me more than I thought
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Has anyone else had a chance to try this line? I'm particularly interested in Rubj!
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    Has anyone else had a chance to try this line? I'm particularly interested in Rubj!
    I have had a sample of Rubj for quite a while now, but just recently used the entire sample for a full sample. This is an unusual orange blossom scent with an extremely tart (juicy!) fruity heart that has to be my favorite part of the scent. I usually hate fruity scents, but the sheer tartiness of the fruit accord is truly mouthwatering! Rubj's base is also very animalic and clearly drenched in civet and ambergris. It is very tenacious and has outstanding lasting power, though not as much as Onda (which is my SOTE). Kiki I found to be quite unique for a lavender scent. It's similiar to Tauer Reverie au jardin but sweeter with a similarities to A*men here and there. All three are amazing scents and are coming out very soon in EDP!!!

Basenotes Institution

I have only tried Kiki and I found it to be a great sweetish lavender scent but for that kind of price , I had to say no to a full bottle. I am dying to try Onda, Rubj and the EDPs coming out.
    Merlino - your descriptions were wonderful ! I want to smell 'gorilla stables'!!!!!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I have had a sample of Rubj for quite a while now, but just recently used the entire sample for a full sample. This is an unusual orange blossom scent with an extremely tart (juicy!) fruity heart that has to be my favorite part of the scent. I usually hate fruity scents, but the sheer tartiness of the fruit accord is truly mouthwatering! Rubj's base is also very animalic and clearly drenched in civet and ambergris. It is very tenacious and has outstanding lasting power, though not as much as Onda (which is my SOTE). Kiki I found to be quite unique for a lavender scent. It's similiar to Tauer Reverie au jardin but sweeter with a similarities to A*men here and there. All three are amazing scents and are coming out very soon in EDP!!!
    mmm Rubj sounds absolutely delicious. I think I may go for a sample If I find more enthusiastic posts ushering me along.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

I love Onda. It smells primal.

I think there are similarities between Onda and Djedi, but the mood is very different. I find that Djedi has a strange solemn and eerie quality, whereas Onda feels wild.

I haven't decided how I feel about Rubj, but Kiki didn't do much for me. I found it too ordinary.

Basenotes Institution

I've tried Onda twice now, from a sample (Xmas present from a BN buddy). I must say, this is WAY more powdery than I expected it to be.

I still am not sure if I like it. It has not 'wowed' me yet.

I was going to order these, until I heard there was a line of more affordable EdP's on the way. I prefer EdP to parfum in general, so I'm going to wait till they're out and the first reviews are in.

Preliminary reviews of the forthcoming Vero Profumo EdP line are very positive. Vero Kern has apparently totally reworked her fragrances for their EdP versions, adding passionfruit to each of them (which, surprisingly, works very well, at least according to the reviews that I've read).

It's too bad, in a way, that the EdPs are coming out. I've tried Onda in the parfum and love it, but at its current price, I could never consider buying it. A more reasonably priced EdP would be tempting. And the last thing I need is another addition to my to-buy list!

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    Preliminary reviews of the forthcoming Vero Profumo EdP line are very positive. Vero Kern has apparently totally reworked her fragrances for their EdP versions, adding passionfruit to each of them (which, surprisingly, works very well, at least according to the reviews that I've read).
    Rubj EdP is sounding like a go-to for a floral lover like myself!

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post

It's too bad, in a way, that the EdPs are coming out. I've tried Onda in the parfum and love it, but at its current price, I could never consider buying it. A more reasonably priced EdP would be tempting. And the last thing I need is another addition to my to-buy list!
    damn...now I'll have to try all the EdPs! I am impressed with these scents in the parfum form already. This must be a ploy to make me part with more of my money!

I have little doubt that trying them will be worthwhile though.

I emailed Vero Profumo about the EDP's and this is what I got back:

Thank you very much for your interest in the Vero Profumo scents.

To your first question:
    The EDP versions of the three perfumes will be launched at the Milan ESXENCE
    perfume exhibition End of March. The production will follow right after and we
    hope to have them in the shops in May.

They will be sold at Luckyscent and the Perfumed Court when they are eventually released.