Code of Conduct

Default Degree anti-perspirant and their line of fine fragrance

There is now a line of "fine fragrances" offered along with Degree brand antiperspirant.

Odd that they are market as "fine" and then retail for $3.99. They are actually body sprays. Usually I think of "fine" as something in the luxury price range, as in "fine jewellery." I see this as marketed to young college women and teens.

They are advertising it as "perfume unbottled." Has anyone used/tried them?

I could not find anything in archives on this, so please delete/ignore if this has been discussed.

Info below on the scents/notes:

http://www.beautyjunkiesunite.com/WP...rantdeodorant/
    Last edited by Primrose; 19th July 2009 at 03:57 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Degree anti-perspirant and their line of fine fragrance

The commercial has run a couple of times in Rochester. At first I was so excited. Almost all our commericals are for cars or lawyers. I can't think when I last saw a commercial for a perfume. It's one reason I was happy to see all the ones available on youtube.

Perhaps every spritz of the body spray prompts a deoderant swipe? And vice versa? That would be as good as selling baking soda - buy product, open package, do nothing for a month, discard, repeat.

Blog Entries

I saw this advertised in one of the ladies magazines in the dentist's office. Yes - I thought it was great, too. Sure - it's not Hermès, but it's a step up for the whole market, and that's good for fragrance in general.

Love what you said about cars and lawyers in all the ads, Ed. We have that, too. Sheesh!

This isn't particularly new. I seem to recall some cosmetic and perfume companies creating fragrances to fit their other products. What does seem new is the placement - grocery stores instead of department store beauty counters. I agree with Primrose that they are marketed for younger women, just as the Axe body sprays are marketed for younger men who aren't going to be caught dead in a department store fragrance counter. And perhaps the makers of Degree thought while they were buying the FOs for their deoderant, why not make a few bucks off of using some in a spray? Personally, while I find Degree deoderant effective in keeping me dry, the original "unscented" scent always competes with whatever perfume I am wearing on a hot day.

they are doing a line extension, can't blame them for wanting to make a few bucks....
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Dove brand deodorants also have matching body sprays. There's a blue "fresh" one. I have a mini of it. (now that's what I should have worn for "fresh SnS last Saturday!), a yellow one, and something else - pink? "Fine fragrance" is a bit of a stretch.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Degree anti-perspirant and their line of fine fragrance

I have been seeing some pretty expensive commercials of late for the Degree line of fragrances "in the deodorant isle". The Dove line has been out for some time but, I have not seen any advertising. The concept is a good one if it catches on. Therein lies the fate of this concept. Anyone tried any of the frags.? Are they any good?

I like to think I'll give anything a fair sniff, but I thought the tv commercial for this new Degree line was a little cheesy. Some jet-setting, big-shot perfumer deigning to launch his fine fragrances where "real" women can find them.

Shortened version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cik9BCaJMwM

Full-length (poor quality)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FoL-7lEEGY

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    There is now a line of "fine fragrances" offered along with Degree brand antiperspirant. Odd that they are market as "fine" and then retail for $3.99. Usually I think of "fine" as something in the luxury price range, as in "fine jewellery."
    "Fine fragrance" is an industry term of art. A fine fragrance serves no purpose other than to impart a pleasant smell. In contrast, "functional fragrance" is a product that serves a purpose, and has to smell pleasant as well. The scent of laundry detergent, for example, is a functional fragrance, because the product's purpose is first to clean clothes, and second to smell good. In this context, the "fine" in fine fragrance has nothing to do with artistic merit or cost.

Since the body mists only contain alcohol, fragrance, a little glycerin, and a preservative, it appears that it serves no antiperspirant or antibacterial purpose. Therefore, strictly speaking, it is fine fragrance. Basically, the ingredients list is the same as any eau de toilette. Although glycerin has some moisturizing benefit, and it is not usually present in eaux de toilette, I have seen it other body mists.

It does seem to be a good marketing move, and it does seem to extend the "Axe effect" to women. Appeal to women who do not shop in malls or department stores. If they like the smell of their deoderant, here is a way to make that smell stronger and longer-lasting. Two product sold instead of one! Make it seem more functional. I'll bet that most boys who wear Axe thinks it does something other than project a smell.

However, it seems to me that Bath & Body Works fragrance mists are a better product (in terms of smell) and a better value (ounces-per-dollar-wise). (In the interest of full disclosure, I used to work at a Bath & Body Works store.)