Code of Conduct

Default Some questions on Bay Rum for an ignorant on this subject

Have been doing some research on this and I have some questions about it:

- Bigelow is the one with the most mentions here in BN, however, Saint John's seems like the one more akin to its origin, at least, that is what the its manufacturer claims... (http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122305.html).

Is there anyone familiar with this and others?

- For Bay Rum lovers, which would you recomend of these listed in BN? http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...&search=search

- Are they supposed to be fleeting, as afterhsaves? Or are there versions characterized by their longevity and sillage?

- Is it worth including in a collection? Or they all smell like common eaux?

Thanx in advance!

Default Re: Some questions on Bay Rum for an ignorant on this subject

This is actually a fairly broad, and often snobbishly discounted, fragrance category containing (obviously) bay leaf and rum, but also various spices and sometimes tobacco. I'm a fan of the Bigelow version you referenced, but I really dislike the Pinaud one that other basenotes guys sometimes mention positively. The major player in this field I haven't tried is the Trumper version, which I hear is very good. C&S Cuba is a variation on this theme that is excellent, but quirky (what with the peppermint and all). The first Tommy Bahama is good, but not in my top choices in this category. I had high hopes for Saint John's. but I found it just OK. I'd say buy the Bigelow, which is inexpensive, and sample the Trumper and C&S. Aramis Havana is re-launching in Sept. and that is supposed to be great as well. You can also get Saint John's samples inexpensively from their website, but again, I was disappointed in them.

What a refreshing contradiction Bay Rum is! How can something famous for containing bay leaf smell so overwhelmingly of clove? How can something smelling so strongly of cloves be so cooling and perfectly suited to hot, humid Summers?

I believe in reverse snobbishness regarding bay rums: In other words, the cheaper it is, the better. I love the Pinaud version; I think that it is the reference standard for bay rum. (And you should be able to find it in a big plastic bottle for less than ten dollars.) The Royall Lyme version is quite good too, and still quite inexpensive. The Royall Lyme glass bottle is charming. Bigelow is fine (recently it could be found at deep discount), but it smells like a toned-down bay rum to me.

I would start exploring bay rum in this manner: I would start with something inexpensive such as Pinaud, to get a feel for what bay rum is. If you don't like it, you're only out a few bucks. There's a nice, low cost of entry with bay rums. I'm not sure the different versions are different enough to justify having more than one bay rum in your rotation, but when you're wearing a nice tropical shirt, and the temperature is over 90, there's nothing more fun and refreshing.

I would say that bay rum is something like a classic eau de cologne, in that it is supposed to be a pleasant-but-fleeting scent. However, I find that it can be tenacious, and you might be aware of it at the end of the day. It is by no means a complex fragrance, and it is basically linear, but I mean that in a good way, if you follow me.

Advocate said pretty much all I had to say about the matter.

My favourite Bay Rum would be Ogallala bay rum, fairly inexpensive and a fantastic aftershave

Basenotes Institution

I sure do miss the bay rum cologne that Burt's Bees used to have. Damn good stuff. Impossible to find these days.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

It's hard to go wrong with the super-cheap Royall Lyme.

If you want a nicer, fancier one, follow Manuel's link to the Meehan - it's natural and a step above, though the opening blast is a little weird. I've worn it - the clove sticks around all day.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

The only Bay Rum I have tried is Dominica Bay Rum and enjoy it very much.

Thanky'all for your suggestions.

Regarding Burt's Bees, it seems their Bay Rum is not discontinued... http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-pro...m-cologne.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post

Regarding Burt's Bees, it seems their Bay Rum is not discontinued... http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-pro...m-cologne.html
    Again, the trouble is I too have never seen it in a store...a shame.

My favorite Bay Rum is from D.R. Harris, but there are several good ones out there. Floris used to make a great one. Well worth a try--this is a classic scent. My father always wore St. John's and then switched to Aramis in the swinging 60s. Not sure if that was a move in the right direction....

Dorothy L. Sayers describes Peter Whimsey's bedroom as "smelling faintly of bay rum and Harris tweeds" in Busman's Honeymoon, which works for me.

How about that? They must have brought it back! I've never tried that one, but I've heard great things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    How about that? They must have brought it back! I've never tried that one, but I've heard great things.
    Regarding Bert's Bees Bay Run, It is quite interesting: the bottle has been redesigned for the good. The man portrayed on the lable (I guess it was Bert) is gone. The actual bottle has a formal, classy design.

On the other hand, this change makes me wonder if it has been reformulated. I read a review here at on it BN and the reviewer described as a horrible concoction that made him smell, according to his wife, like a gingerbread being cooked. He finally threw the content away in order to replace it with Creed's GIT... But those recommending it say that the juice is quite good.

The reference to GIT makes me think BB Bay Rum might be on the opposite place regarding the type os scents uses nowadays. Which, of course, makes me want to buy it blind...Or else, it might be a bay rum version of Kouros.
    Last edited by Pollux; 20th July 2009 at 07:03 PM.

SO ANNOYING
    It is so hard to get bay rums over here. I love them. I'm dying to try that Meehan one but they won't ship over here.
    You guys "over there" have so many options......
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution

Regarding Bert's Bees Bay Run, It is quite interesting: the bottle has been redesigned for the good. The man portrayed on the lable (I guess it was Bert) is gone. The actual bottle has a formal, classy design.

On the other hand, this change makes me wonder if it has been reformulated..
    Me too. The old juice was very dark brown. The new juice is pale and golden.

But hey, supposedly this juice is all natural essential oils - so maybe that's why.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ... But hey, supposedly this juice is all natural essential oils - so maybe that's why.
    There is a local company specialized in aromatherapy called Universo Garden Angels. They have a line called 100 % Aromatherapy, made of 100 % natural oils. There are five scents to choose from, I tried them and they all really stink, top notes are repulsive. Still, one of them has a superb drydown.

Besides, I bought 10ml of pure lavender oil and it has a very offensive, medicine - like smell. Cinnamon EO is so strong a drop is smelt by someone meters away from it.

So I guess that if Bert's Bees Bay Rum is made of natural oils, it must be strong.

Quote Originally Posted by weylin View Post
    The only Bay Rum I have tried is Dominica Bay Rum and enjoy it very much.
    I' have just managed to get a bottle of this (at great cost considering they sell it for £$14 on their website)
    It is fantastic - all natural/organic. Very good smelling, not too strong but with presence.
    Highly recommended.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Of all I sampled Trumpers is my favorite - but it doesn't last long. St John's lasts, and it is almost as nose pleasing to me. I layer them and it works out perfect. Just talked myself into wearing them today...

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    SO ANNOYING
    It is so hard to get bay rums over here. I love them. I'm dying to try that Meehan one but they won't ship over here.
    You guys "over there" have so many options......

Totally agreed ! from me here in the land downunder

Manuel thanks for the link

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43